***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,558,896 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Marvin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Ratings mean nothing

I respectfully disagree. We MAY have a Tucker or Chas in the minors, but there are no high-end players like Correa, Altuve, Springer, or Bregman. We replace those with what's in the system now and we're the Cardinals. Just my opinion.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
texasaggie2015
AG
Something to note about the Baseball America Top 100: The Astros are lightyears ahead of some other organizations in terms of international scouting. They've signed and developed numerous guys who were basically unknown to Baseball America and other similar websites. Think Javier, Framber, Urquidy, Blanco. Yordan Alvarez was under the radar as well and the Astros played a big role in developing him.

Baseball America and other similar websites don't have the time or resources to scout these international guys.

There's similar guys in the organization now. Luis Baez, Kenni Gomez, numerous others.

At the same time, the Astros farm system lacks star potential at the top. Especially AAA. You have Drew Gilbert in AA but he's still getting adjusted to that level. Ryan Clifford also has superstar potential but he's a good ways away as well.

This is ultimately why Jim Crane hired Dana Brown. Crane likes a lot of things about Brown but the main reason was his ability to scout and draft. The farm system needs replenishing, especially after not having a first or second round pick for a couple years.

So, yes, these rankings certainly don't tell the whole story. But they also paint a bigger picture of where the farm system stands as a whole.
Marvin
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Dubon doesn't have to produce anywhere close to the level he produced in the first half to provide tremendous value. He has team control and can play all over the field. That's a valuable piece.

From what I've seen, his adjustments are for real. Is he a .300 hitter? No.. but if he can hit .250 and play all over the field, that's really all we need.

I haven't heard about Dubon as far as the trade market goes. It doesn't mean it's not possible.

I hear ya, but he needs to quit swinging at everything he sees. Again, just my opinion.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
texasaggie2015
AG
That's his approach. Some guys are like that. Free swingers. At this point in his career, that's who he is.

That's a part of the reason he's not (and probably never will be) an every day player. But he could be damn good at his role as a utility guy.
Marvin
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

That's his approach. Some guys are like that. Free swingers. At this point in his career, that's who he is.

That's a part of the reason he's not (and probably never will be) an every day player. But he could be damn good at his role as a utility guy.

And that is why I say trade him. If he swings at everything while possessing little power, his value as a pinch hitter in the playoffs is minimal.
Marvin
AG
Of course, I reserve the right to call myself an idiot if the Astros need him for an extended time to replace other starters (without saying why and jinxing someone…)!
Harry Dunne
Marvin said:

I'd trade Dubon. I think his pumpkin struck midnight several weeks ago. Or whatever that phrase is.

If he would embrace going oppo I would be all in, but I don't see that happening. His spray chart is now a solid cone around shortstop.

He hit three homers in early June and decided he was a power hitter. He isn't, and his on base percentage has dropped every month this season, sitting below .300 since May. He is not Altuve but swings like it.

He was great as an early season replacement, but this is the dictionary definition of selling high. Do it.

I don't think his pumpkin has jumped the shark.

He's at his prime age and barely better than his career averages. People made a big deal about his being near .300 but at the end of the day he's got a .701 OPS and is a career .667 guy at age 28. He's just doing what he ought to be doing, which is nothing majestic but when you factor in his versatility and defense is very valuable.

Let's be real, it's not like the rest of the league thinks he's going to be peak Marwin. How much can you possibly get for "selling high" on him? Probably not enough to replace what we lose in giving him up.

MaxPower
I agree. I wouldn't give him away but if you can get an impactful pitcher or lefty power bat I'm listening. The reality is he should be a depth piece on this team. Depth is great, I'd rather have it, but when you are clawing for the playoffs a utility infielder is a luxury. I know people will point to Altuve being hurt a lot this year but if Altuve isn't healthy in August and September this team is f&cked anyway. I'm not banking on making the playoffs with Dubon as my starting 2B.
MaxPower
1) You only sell if you are getting peak value. Not sure about your comment on selling high. Everyone has a point where they are performing at their peak. For one player that's an MVP and for another it's a solid utility player. Determining whether it's their peak performance or there's even more juice to squeeze is what separates a good GM from a bad one.

2) This is in relation to people saying we should trade Dubon period. That's silly. He isn't a core piece so if someone offers more than you think he's worth you pull the trigger.
Farmer1906
AG
Marvin said:

Of course, I reserve the right to call myself an idiot if the Astros need him for an extended time to replace other starters (without saying why and jinxing someone…)!

I also reserve the right to call you an idiot. Not for this take, but just in general.
Beau Holder
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Marvin said:

I also reserve the right to call you an idiot. Not for this take, but just in general.

I'm glad we have a game day again.
AggieJ2002
AG
Super excited about going to the game tonight to watch us beat up on Shohei

Really just wondering what Dusty is going to do to piss me off. Last year I showed up to the one Astros game of the year I could attend in person only to look at the lineup and see Niko Goodrum batting in the 3-hole
EastCoastAgNc
AG
texasaggie2015
AG
AggieJ2002 said:

Super excited about going to the game tonight to watch us beat up on Shohei

Really just wondering what Dusty is going to do to piss me off. Last year I showed up to the one Astros game of the year I could attend in person only to look at the lineup and see Niko Goodrum batting in the 3-hole
Hahahahaha I would be so sad
Marvin
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Marvin said:

The line is long and rather undistinguished. You'll fit in well!
Marvin
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Who had tickets to tomorrow's game? Might be the right call.
Beat40
EastCoastAgNc said:

I hope the Astros plan is to let him play 3 games in a row for Sugarland and then get him back to the Astros. He can continue his minor league rehab against the Rockies and A's next week.
Farmer1906
AG
Marvin said:

Farmer1906 said:

Marvin said:

The line is long and rather undistinguished. You'll fit in well!

A lot like my… Nevermind.
texasaggie2015
AG
Sir
Post removed:
by user
JYDog90
AG
Marvin said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Haha, we were looking at tickets for tonight. Glad I didn't pull the trigger.
Beat40
Willy Wonka said:

Marvin said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Haha, we were looking at tickets for tonight. Glad I didn't pull the trigger.
I'm sure there are a lot of people who did. They'll be disappointed, but they'll enjoy the game. It's a nice stadium and they do a great job of between inning entertainment for the kids.
Beau Holder
AG
For a second I thought this was about Angel Stadium and I was like "nice? Lolll"
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Beau Holder
AG
Rengifo-Moustakas 5/6 is some Dusty brain energy.
Harry Dunne
MaxPower said:

I agree. I wouldn't give him away but if you can get an impactful pitcher or lefty power bat I'm listening.

Is Ed Wade back in the game? Who the eff is going to give you an impact pitcher or lefty power for Maury Dubon?
Mathguy64
AG
Renfigo kind of kills us. I could do without seeing him.
Project Gemini
AG
Fletcher went to AAA
W
AG
I wouldn't mock the Angels lineup...until we see what Dusty rolls out there tonight

could be some Madris, Kessinger, et al to give the regulars another day off before the second half

because they are tired still
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
MaxPower
Not by himself but can be a part of a trade package. Believe it or not you can trade more than one player.
Mathguy64
AG
Rendon makes $35MM/year.

Since being signed by the Angels he's played in 200 games over 3.5 years. That's 200 out of a possible 577. During that time he has a total 3.2 WAR and a total 0.4 WAA.

And they owe him for 3 more years.
PETE2019
AG
Speaking of Rendon… is there a world where Rendon and Ohtani both get traded to say, the Yankees, for basically nothing? Angels would essentially get Rendon off the books and a low level lotto ticket in exchange for Ohtani. Is that a good enough return for Ohtani? Would anyone pay that for a rental?
bearkatag15
AG
PETE2019 said:

Speaking of Rendon… is there a world where Rendon and Ohtani both get traded to say, the Yankees, for basically nothing? Angels would essentially get Rendon off the books and a low level lotto ticket in exchange for Ohtani. Is that a good enough return for Ohtani? Would anyone pay that for a rental?

Sure… that's called fantasyland
First Page Last Page
Page 1048 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.