***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,558,211 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
texasaggie2015
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If they bring in (and this is just an example) Cody Bellinger, that's one outfielder that would replace one of them. Once Altuve is healthy, that moves Dubon to the bench. It would work out.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I'm just being honest here. Names I see being dealt and this is about to ruffle a few:

Leon
Lee
Julks
Chaz
Blanco
Melton
Wabs
AG
Dana has said many times that we would be aggressive at the trade deadline. I'm going to hold him to that.
Wabs
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

I'm just being honest here. Names I see being dealt and this is about to ruffle a few:

Leon
Lee
Julks
Chaz
Blanco
Melton
Don't trade Melton please.
texasaggie2015
AG
Yeah, that scenario I gave out is kind of a "if the chips fall just right" scenario. It's what I expect Houston's goal to be.

Obviously just one of those things can happen. Maybe all three happen. But I think that's what they're aiming for.
Pappy Van Winkle
AG
Good stuff. Thank you for sharing.

Moving Meyers is a non-issue for me. Good kid, leaves a lot to be desired.

I really like Julks and would be sad to see him go but I understand the cost of doing business. Gravemann doesn't do a whole lot for me though. He was pretty mediocre during his last stint here. But that seems to be an outlier from his body of work, so I'd give it the benefit of the doubt.

I'd be really sad to see Blanco or France go. They've both outperformed expectations this season.

Question- what do you make of Tucker's pitch to Ohtani?
Farmer1906
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

They think Arrighetti has a higher upside and that he's close. I love France and I'm right there with you.. but if they believe Arrighetti is close, I think that leaves France dispensable if you believe it gets you closer to a championship.

There's a few guys who are kind of similar... France, Blanco, Arrighetti, Colton Gordon, Rhett Kouba. It makes sense to deal one of these guys if the return is right. Especially if you're bringing in a proven arm. Teams put a lot of value in arms with club control.
I am ranking who I want to keep from most to least, it would go.
  • Arrighetti (IDK until he is here, but I think his ceiling is highest)
  • France (I think he has a future as a 4/5 in the rotation)
  • Blanco (I think he'd be more effective in the bullpen)
  • Bielak (worst stuff, lowest ceiling)

Holding off on Gordan & Kouba, both made it to AA this year.

If we move 2 of the bottom 3 for pieces to help this year and next, I am all for it.
texasaggie2015
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Leon
Lee
Julks
Chaz
Blanco
Melton
I left out Chas from my post because I think the Astros are more likely to move Meyers between those two.. but I wouldn't rule it out by any means. They'll listen to offers on all six of these guys.
texasaggie2015
AG
Pappy Van Winkle said:

Question- what do you make of Tucker's pitch to Ohtani?
There was a reporter going around asking everyone the same question. It's a complete non-story.
Farmer1906
AG
Wabs said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Leon
Lee
Julks
Chaz
Blanco
Melton
Don't trade Melton please.
I think it is way too early to trade Melton unless we're getting something huge back. He's still 22, hits for power, steals bases, and bats from the left side.
Pappy Van Winkle
AG
Thanks. I have no hopes for Ohtani. I was more interested in his comments from a re-signing Tucker perspective. Made me feel like there could be more hope than I thought.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
That's what I figured, I just flipped them because I think we're going to end up in a situation where that's the ask, and his inclusion won't be allowed to stop a trade.

Part of me wants him to get traded and have a shot to get away from Dusty also.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
He's the last one on that list I want to see traded.

But everything you listed is why he will be discussed. Trades aren't one sided so we have to lose pieces we don't want to
texasaggie2015
AG
Again, I just want to make it clear that all my posts are just little tidbits of info from what I'm told and what I hear. Things can obviously change.
Wabs
AG
Chas has got to be campaigning for a trade (or at least he should be).
Farmer1906
AG
Right, but he's our "#2 prospect" and was only drafted just last year. I doubt he's moved unless it's for something huge. I think Dana is more inclined to use his more ready guys to make a deal.
Farmer1906
AG
Wabs said:

Chas has got to be campaigning for a trade (or at least he should be).
That or Dana is about to trade away most of his other options.
W
AG
Dana has to simplify the outfield situation for Dusty

too many options is bad...because it will result in Yanier on the bench when Yordan returns

Meyers' OPS is down to .676

13 of 74 at the plate in June & July

good luck getting much for him

texasaggie2015
AG
W said:

too many options is bad...because it will result in Yanier on the bench when Yordan returns

He has more value than you think. He's a good outfielder and there's belief he hasn't come close to putting it all together yet.

Will he bring in a haul? No. But I do think he would be attractive to a smaller market team that wants to see what he can do. The years of team control are very valuable.
Farmer1906
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

W said:

He has more value than you think. He's a good outfielder and there's belief he hasn't come close to putting it all together yet.

Will he bring in a haul? No. But I do think he would be attractive to a smaller market team that wants to see what he can do. The years of team control are very valuable.

Probably not too dissimilar to Siri. He had like a .540 OPS. Siri plus a prospect got us Mancini and a prospect.

Now the arm we gave to Baltimore looks way more interesting than what we got from Tampa but neither were way up any prospect list.
W
AG
Meyers is 27 years old

Dana will have to convince other teams he can still put it together

and Dana also needs need to burn the outfield tape from the Toronto series and Seattle series
Deluxe
AG
Yea, I think it's pretty simple. If a team calls and says "we'll give you player x for Chas or Jake, your choice", we give them Jake. But that's not how it works. We'll get one set of offers for Chas. We'll get another set of slightly worse offers for Jake. Whichever one we think addresses our needs best is the one we'll take.

It's kinda hard for me to imagine us trading Chas without acquiring another player who can man CF though (ie Bellinger). Committing to Jake in CF for the rest of the season seems a little risky. But with that said, we do have Dubon as an insurance policy in CF later this year if we trade Chas and Jake gets the job but doesn't perform.
texasaggie2015
AG
Exactly. Think of Kansas City. They would probably value a guy like Meyers who has years of control and isn't costing a lot of money.

They have Carlos Hernandez who is a young bullpen arm who would do wonders for the Astros this year. Maybe they would be intrigued by Meyers + prospect for him.

Plus Meyers is from Omaha... not super from from KC.
Farmer1906
AG
I agree. No way we trade Chas without getting another CFer back.
Mathguy64
AG
Farmer1906 said:

At least getting one back that Dusty would play.
Farmer1906
AG
Random Siri note I just noticed.

For guys with a min of 200 PAs, Siri ranks 240th out of 249th in OBP @ .266.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I bet he's in the top 5 for pimping homers though
tjack16
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Farmer1906 said:

At least getting one back that Dusty would play.

"Yeah we got Ronald Acuna Jr in a trade but you know our pitchers feel more comfortable with Jake Meyers in the outfield" - Dusty probably
mAgnoliAg
AG
Farmer1906 said:

More HRs than any Astros player outside of Yordan.
AggiEE
mAgnoliAg said:

Farmer1906 said:

More HRs than any Astros player outside of Yordan.

He doesn't get on base
Farmer1906
AG
Red Sox could be interested in Dubon

Dubon for Verdugo straight up. Who says no?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Altuves soft tissue muscles say no. If he goes down again and you trade dubon, it's David Hensley or Rilen Bannon or Grae Kessinger time. It's hard to find a good utility player, don't let him go.
Wabs
AG
Dubon is extremely versatile and that's why I would say no. He's a much better defensive 2B than Altuve right now, and he provides some injury insurance. He could step in and play anywhere in the infield or outfield - basically any position other than P or C.
Mathguy64
AG
Farmer1906 said:

No. Good utility INF/OF under team control don't grow on trees.
cc10106
Farmer1906 said:

Seems like a big gamble with how much time our middle infield has missed this season. Is the reward worth the risk? I haven't watched the Red Sox much this season, and the Astros love their "super utility" guys.
First Page Last Page
Page 1046 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.