***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,504,816 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
tjack16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
"Altuve got enough hits to last 2-3 games so I think you give him rest until the road-trip. Also Salazar seems bored on the bench so we need to put him in for somebody…. Can't be Maldy he's too dominant with the bat…. Gotta be Diaz hitting the bench." - internal monologue by Dusty Baker
W
AG
Blummer calling for Altuve to go back in the leadoff spot and Pena in the 2-hole
tjack16
AG

Rookies and anybody with a 5.00+ ERA
OKCAg2002
AG
Here's Dusty's Sunday lineup for tomorrow. Gotta save those legs for the postseason.

Dubon - 2B
Peña - SS
Tucker - RF
Abreu - 1B
Julks - LF
Chas -CF
Meyers - DH
Salazar - C
Kessinger - 3B
Marvin
AG
Hello, third place.

Celebrate Father's Day tomorrow at MMP. Entertainment will be provided by Dusty Baker and The Noodle Bat Band.
Marvin
AG
Astros postgame comment- Reds are just hot. It's not like the Astros are playing terribly. What?!

(Not TK or Blummer)
Beau Holder
AG
Marvin said:

Altuve will sit for sure. I'll guess Bregman as well. Maybe a Salazar start with Yainer at first?

On the bright side, with Bregman sitting you lose nothing right now.
Beau Holder
AG
W said:

Blummer calling for Altuve to go back in the leadoff spot and Pena in the 2-hole

Keep dreaming.
Marvin
AG
Beau Holder said:

Marvin said:

Altuve will sit for sure. I'll guess Bregman as well. Maybe a Salazar start with Yainer at first?

On the bright side, with Bregman sitting you lose nothing right now.

< insert Alonzo Mourning realization gif>
tjack16
AG
The wife and I go to Hawaii for 10 days on Friday. A mental break from this team will be nice

I expect us to go on a tear while I'm gone
R-Dog
AG
tjack16 said:

The wife and I go to Hawaii for 10 days on Friday. A mental break from this team will be nice

Sitting on a beach in Maui right now. Don't think I'm going to be in a hurry to get up for the 8:10 AM local start tomorrow.
f1ghtintexasaggie
Soooo how are we all feeling?

#firedustypromoteespada?
f1ghtintexasaggie
tjack16 said:

You better have an extended stay booked just in case!
agdaddy04
AG
Marvin said:

Hello, third place.

Celebrate Father's Day tomorrow at MMP. Entertainment will be provided by Dusty Baker and The Noodle Bat Band.

Well somehow the Royals came back from 8-2 and beat the Angels
Marvin
AG
Dusty just said in the postgame conference that Altuve will get the day off tomorrow. Seriously.

And Dusty called for the Kessinger steal.

Altuve off tomorrow is "my decision to make"

PLEASE FIRE THIS RAG ASS BUM.
HarryRocket
Gotta cool altuves bat down, don't want it to overheat.
mwm
Hey, Dusty - how did the Julks in the 1-hole work out for you?
Mathguy64
AG
It's time Jim. You have had 6 plus years to sit in the expensive seats and enjoy round after round of champagne. Now you get to pay the piper and make a hard choice.
Ag_07
AG
Well he did run a lot today.
tjack16
AG
Here's a concept …. Don't have "scheduled" days off

You can say "I'm going to give Jose a day off every 10 games", that's fine. But you can just use instinct to decide when that is.
agdaddy04
AG
It feels like a sick joke at this point. I get that they wouldn't remain on top forever, but feel like they should have been more competitive so far this year. The batting has been horrid. And to think we were thinking the shift ban would have a positive effect on some of the guys.
f1ghtintexasaggie
This season's responsibility now shifts on Crane from here on out IMO. It's time to start demanding some accountability. Eat your slice of humble pie, and admit you chose poorly not only when you let Click walk instead of Dusty but also when you made substantial moves without an analytics-driven GM in place to evaluate said moves.

Dusty should be gone and Maldy DFA'ed by gametime tomorrow. Thanks for the memories, and best of luck.
R-Dog
AG
tjack16 said:

Here's a concept …. Don't have "scheduled" days off

You can say "I'm going to give Jose a day off every 10 games", that's fine. But you can just use instinct to decide when that is.

Scheduled days off relies on the assumption that the other players are always going to play at their expectation level. But when they don't, you're flushing games down the toilet. Yordan being out exasperates the problem. The idea that guys need days off every week is absurd. This is baseball. It is a skill sport...not a strength or endurance sport. Get your **** together and then worry about getting guys rest.

What good is a rested Altuve going to be when his happy ass is sitting on his sofa come first week in October?
Ag_07
AG
The off-season moves without a GM are not what's wrong with this team.

The only one I can think of is Montero and I guess technically Brantley.

And no Abreu doesn't count. Not many GMs would've passed on that signing.
mwm
Dusty is taunting the GM at this point. Same song, second verse.

It's time for Crane to take control of his investments.
Ag_07
AG
Regardless of all the other bonehead moves...Not batting Altuve leadoff is a fireable offense.

Not bating Altuve leadoff for Julks in the leadoff spot should get you fired before the post game press conference.
Beau Holder
AG
Ag_07 said:

The off-season moves without a GM are not what's wrong with this team.

The only one I can think of is Montero and I guess technically Brantley.

And no Abreu doesn't count. Not many GMs would've passed on that signing.

You're right that there are many other things wrong with this team.

But other teams went out and made moves to get better. The Rangers, Angels, and Jays to name a few. This team, aside from the Abreu signing, sat on its hands and just banked, I assume, on being exactly as healthy and getting the same performance from everyone and no other teams in their competitive set improving. It doesn't work.

Forcing out your World Series-winning GM and bringing back a human dunce cap at manager instead of encouraging him to retire on top certainly didn't help in that regard.
HarryRocket
Gem I read:

Without Yordan Alvarez in the lineup, the 2023 Astros are averaging just 3.69 runs per game. That would rank 29th out of 30 teams for offense, year to date. Only Oakland is worse in 2023 at 3.5 runs per game
Ag_07
AG
Fair enough

But the argument is that there just weren't a lot of holes on this team.

The Angels and Rangers had lots of areas to improve and they did. We needed an upgrade at 1b which we got and and there was a need for an OFer which we thought we had in Brantley.

I would even consider not getting a catcher was a big kiss but again we have an upgrade riding pine 4/5 games.

I don't think it's the lack of off-season moves but more how this team is being handled during the day to day. It's atrocious. And it's really not that hard.
McInnis
AG
Just three days ago you told me it was a safe bet the Astros will make it to post-season. Do you still see it that way? Honestly it's starting to look like a 50/50 deal to me.
Ag_07
AG
Yes. That's still a safe bet.
agproducer
AG
The Reds are red hot, but that doesn't justify the team hardly scoring or the lineups that Dusty keeps trotting out there.

Big Al 1992
AG
I was excited about the Dana hire and gave him some time to get adjusted to his new home and take stock in what he had on this team - this WS defending team. It is mid June and I've seen nothing from him. He's been sleeping as much as Dusty. How has he not had a sense of urgency meeting with Dusty and say no more to some of his idiotic moves. How has he not told Dusty your leadoff hitter is Altuve. Your catcher is Diaz. Your struggling batters - Abreu, Bregman - need to be moved down in the line up. Your previous starting catcher is not your starting catcher anymore and certainly shouldn't be batting past the 7th inning in close games.
3B Paul 97
AG
I guess we get the Angels headlines now:

Altuve goes 4 for 4 with 3 extra base hits and the Astros lose 10-3.
Mathguy64
AG
Ag_07 said:

Yes. That's still a safe bet.

Safe? Define safe. I wouldn't drop $1000 on it.

We are throwing our franchise #7, 8 and 9 starters 3 days out of 6 with a pen that is underperforming. And we will be throwing those 2 of those three the rest of the season unless we trade for someone better. And I say that knowing full well those three arms have pitched way better than anyone would expect their 7, 8 and 9 guys could ever hope for.

We have holes at 3B, LF, and C and I still think an up in the air 1B. The MVP caliber DH/LF is injured and no one is picking up the slack. And we have a manager that flat refuses to play his best options at C and LF to plug the holes. He's literally strategically weakening his team.

Making October isn't IMHO safe. Far from it.

It can be fixed but Crane and Dana are going to have to fix it. And if Crane won't Dana can't.

First Page Last Page
Page 740 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.