***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,506,877 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
tjack16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
OKCAg2002 said:

Would the fan base embrace Bellinger? He'd be very useful as a CF and left handed bat. The Cubs have no need to retain him.

The only player I would NEVER embrace is Bauer. And that's because of his off the field issues and social media attitude.

I could get past the Bellinger comments if he helps us win.
OKCAg2002
AG
Yeah, that's where I am, too. I could stomach it.
Hornbeck
AG
Bauer is sucking in Japan, also 4th accusation just dropped. Not an answer. I think the young guys are pitching well, the bats are Turrible.
tjack16
AG
I think what this stretch has proven if nothing else is how Yordan is this team's MVP.
W
AG
the top 3 position players by salary:

1. Bregman...$30 MM........OPS .709
2. Altuve.......$29 MM........OPS .731
3. Abreu.......$20 MM........OPS .607

$79 MM in payroll has combined to hit a grand total of 15 home runs...approaching the halfway point of the season.

that's a tough way to do business...as many other teams have discovered in past seasons
stoneca
If I was going to tell you that the Rangers would go 3-7 in their last ten and we would be playing the Guardians, Nationals and Reds you would've thought for sure we would gain some ground on them.
MaxPower
tjack16 said:

I think what this stretch has proven if nothing else is how Yordan is this team's MVP.
That was obvious before he got hurt. What it proves is this team needs another bat and it has a thin margin or error offensively with an incompetent manager.
HarryRocket
W said:

the top 3 position players by salary:

1. Bregman...$30 MM........OPS .709
2. Altuve.......$29 MM........OPS .731
3. Abreu.......$20 MM........OPS .607

$79 MM in payroll has combined to hit a grand total of 15 home runs...approaching the halfway point of the season.

that's a tough way to do business...as many other teams have discovered in past seasons

That's the issue. Altuve isn't totally fair considering his health, but nevertheless true.

Bregman isn't an all-star. He's an average offensive 3rd baseman (high tier defensive) we count on too much. He goes on high tier caliber streaks that bring his numbers to average because he's awful the other times.

His post season numbers are down from regular season, that makes sense because pitching is better but I feel like he's had so many big moments in the post season that could be forgiven.

Idk, I'm trying to be fair but it seems like we are always talking about Bregman being down, then he goes on week or 4 run that we relax on him. But his downs are down.

He's about to drop below Abreau soon if trends continue.

What would Bregman be worth if he was a free agent?
HarryRocket
tjack16 said:

tjack16
AG
MaxPower said:

tjack16 said:

That was obvious before he got hurt. What it proves is this team needs another bat and it has a thin margin or error offensively with an incompetent manager.

Yeah but you always hear the organization say it's Maldonado. I think we can put that to bed now
redline248
AG
Chas should ask to be traded. Julks at leadoff? What a joke
rosco511
AG
redline248 said:

Chas should ask to be traded. Julks at leadoff? What a joke

Dusty has Julks batting leadoff??? This should be a fireable offense. In what universe is it a good idea to bat a guy with a terrible OBP leadoff?

Unfortunately Crane picked the wrong side in the offseason and this looks like potential downhill side of the dynasty. I miss the days of just knowing the Astros were the smartest organization in baseball. While sometimes disagreed with decisions, you know they had specific analytical support to back it up and were always looking to improve processes and analysis. It feels like we have gone back in time to just being an old school, gut feel approach.
texasaggie2015
AG
Julks leading off? This might be the worst one yet. I don't know how much more of this I can take. They always say a team takes on the personality of their coach/manager and we've been seeing it lately. Just lackadaisical play.
W
AG
the front office would be in quite a pickle if both Altuve and Bregman were hitting free agency after the season.

Altuve is 33 years old.

Bregman is 29 years old. Players are supposed to be having career years at age 29 -- it's typically one of the peak seasons of performance
W
AG
oh my, Julks bringing his .278 on-base % to the leadoff spot

and Kessinger in the lineup
JDUB08AG
AG
Bregman has been on the gravy train since coming up. I'm not trying to rip him because he's been a critical piece of what we've achieved since 2017. But he hasn't really faced any career adversity or have to grind it out in a ****ty team to lock in a contract. No idea if that has anything to do with it, but AB is a very rare situation if you think about it.
Mathguy64
AG
Lost two in a row with 0 offense so Dusty waves the white flag today. 37D chess from the Lizard.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
How exactly is his situation any different than that of Correa? Alvarez? Tucker? Yuli? McCullers? Or any other player who came up in our system and made it on the world Champion team.

Or for that matter, Judge,
Beau Holder
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Lost two in a row with 0 offense so Dusty waves the white flag today. 37D chess from the Lizard.

Mathguy64
AG
I appreciate all the good will Dusty brought to the club after the Lunhow/Hinch/front office moron debacle but we are witnessing first hand why he's been fired from every other talented club he's been at. Every single one of them.
rosco511
AG
JDUB08AG said:

Bregman has been on the gravy train since coming up. I'm not trying to rip him because he's been a critical piece of what we've achieved since 2017. But he hasn't really faced any career adversity or have to grind it out in a ****ty team to lock in a contract. No idea if that has anything to do with it, but AB is a very rare situation if you think about it.

By all accounts, Bregman is the ultimate grinder/baseball junkie. Lives and breathes baseball 24/7, so I think his issue is that those type of personalities are always tinkering with mechanics etc so believe he has ended up tinkering too much and cannot find his way back to old form. Golfers with these type of personalities have similar issues.
linkdude
AG
Maybe Bregs needs a sports psychologist too
JohnnyTexAg1995
Dusty seriously just needs to go
OKCAg2002
AG
I wish Dana would just cut the fat and make Dusty play with a limited roster so he's not even tempted
tjack16
AG
"You know we traded for Ohtani and Trout, but we got guys like Julks who need at bats too. So we are going to rotate those guys around to get them all some time" - Dusty probably
Eso si, Que es
To compound the craptastic idea of Julks leading off, he puts Abreu as DH and Kessinger at first which just robs Diaz an opportunity of playing first tomorrow.

Why does Dusty insist resting Abreu and Maldy on same day just screwing Diaz over.

F/JC this, I ain't watching until I see a lineup I agree with
Beerosch
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Julks leading off? This might be the worst one yet. I don't know how much more of this I can take. They always say a team takes on the personality of their coach/manager and we've been seeing it lately. Just lackadaisical play.

Julks at leadoff is probably the worst of some really bad decisions this season.
DVC2010
AG
Big Bucks said:

I am actually in the state and paid for five tickets for Saturday. I swear if Dusty starts Maldonado and Julks each and every one of you will hear the boos on the broadcast.

I'm assuming this is close enough. I'll turn the volume up for you.
Eso si, Que es
Furthermore, I have bit my tongue till now. I watched the "Reggie" special on Amazon Prime a while back and he just preaches about blacks not getting a fair shake in MLB leadership roles. And here we are with a black special assistant to the owner, black GM, black manager leading off a black man who would never lead off on any MLB team because why?

I don't give a f/ck if Dusty is red blue green yellow black or white, he is a f/cking idiot and putting out a sh/t lineup card.

Do better Dusty. I dream of a day when ABs are about the content of their statistics and not the color of their skin.
MaxPower
This is all Dana's fault. If he put together a roster of 26 all stars Dusty's decisions would be irrelevant.
Marvin
AG
OMG, you guys were serious- Julks really is batting leadoff.

I have absolutely no words. Just when when you thought Mr. Potato Head could not shove his head up his wrinkly ass any further, he tells Houston fans to hold this beer. I'm stunned.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Marvin
AG
I have to wonder what Espada thinks of all this. It's getting into negligence territory, malfeasance, dereliction of duty, sabotage, crimes against humanity, whatever the phrase.
Marvin
AG
MaxPower said:

This is all Dana's fault. If he put together a roster of 26 all stars Dusty's decisions would be irrelevant.

Not directed at you, so forgive my frustration seeping through, but what is so damn difficult about writing Jose Altuve's name in the leadoff spot? It's truly the easiest decision Potato Brain has to make outside of making sure his socks match- Altuve 1, Alvarez 4... with one of those not being an option right now.

It's like the free space on a Bingo card. How difficult is this????????
Big Bucks
AG
DVC2010 said:

Big Bucks said:

I am actually in the state and paid for five tickets for Saturday. I swear if Dusty starts Maldonado and Julks each and every one of you will hear the boos on the broadcast.

I'm assuming this is close enough. I'll turn the volume up for you.

Yep, close enough! My son and I will be booing and make my 75 year old mother mad because she thinks Dusty is great.
Big Bucks
AG
From baseball to politics, I have never been so convinced that mandatory retirement ages are a good thing.
First Page Last Page
Page 734 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.