***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

5,893,808 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by texasaggie2015
tjack16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
cap-n-jack said:

You know who we don't hear from or about much anymore, Jeff Bagwell.

Still love him for all he did as a player. But have you noticed that most star players don't make good owners/general managers?

The great front office guys are usually non players or former players who were never that great. And that's across most sports
HarryRocket
2/5 of my final Abreau posts.

I'm entering the root against Abreau portion of my tilt.

The fact he has that bad of a 250 at-bat stretch in him. It's not like he's some rookie.

I don't care if he becomes decent for a week or two, hell, a month, I know he has .210/.530 in 250 at bats in him.

The sooner he's gone the better. Slow. Poor defense, no power, these things are not changing.

I'm rooting against him so the powers that be can accept their mistakeā€¦ hey, they swung and the Abreau'd. No big deal unless they don't do their best to adjust.

A win where he goes 0-fer is a good day.
Farmer1906
AG
This is a terrible idea.
Ag_07
AG
Kindly and respectfully GTFO then.

There's no place for this kinda BS.

We're all disappointed and thought he'd be much much better but this is trash.

Do us all a favor and stop posting
redline248
AG
This thread indicates that I missed a doozy.
W
AG
another example of how Dusty has mismanaged the batting lineup...

in today's game Yanier reached 77 at-bats...with 21 hits and .757 OPS

77 at-bats is also the same number that Hensley had before he was sent down on May 19th

Hensley posted 10 hits and a dreadful .403 OPS. He started 9 games at DH and 7 games at 2B

those starts should have gone to Yanier and Dubon
W
AG
Bassitt made it through 8 innings on 81 pitches
Mathguy64
AG
W said:

Bassitt made it through 8 innings on 81 pitches

And his manager turned it over to a guy who missed giving up a tying HR to Dubon by a couple of feet and you should have been called for 18 balks.

agproducer
AG
This team has problems, but it isn't dire like some of you cliff jumpers want to believe.

Abreu has been terrible. There's no way to sugar coat that. Montero has been brutal. Altuve has missed significant time. We are missing 3 starting pitchers. And guess what? We have the 4th best record in the AL and 6th best in MLB. We are 4.5 back in the division, playing catch-up with a hot team.

We have played 40 of our 62 games against teams over .500 with a record of 21-19 in those games. That's not terrible, but not great. We are 15-7 against teams under .500. The Astros played ATL, TB and MIL on the road.

As for the Rangers, they have played 31 games, that's more than half, of their games against teams UNDER .500. They are 21-10 against those teams. Against the better than. 500 teams, they are 19-11. They played ATL, BAL, NYY and ARI at home with their toughest road opponents being BAL and PIT. They've done a whale of a job. But after all they've done and the struggles we've had, we are still in the fight.

Look at the Mariners. Look at the Yanks. The Dodgers have also struggled. What about the Padres? The Cards have fallen apart. No team is perfect.

We have 100 games left and Dana seems ready to get the team some extra help. Hell, it's not even the All Star break.

Things will balance out.
AggiEE
agproducer said:

This team has problems, but it isn't dire like some of you cliff jumpers want to believe.

Abreu has been terrible. There's no way to sugar coat that. Montero has been brutal. Altuve has missed significant time. We are missing 3 starting pitchers. And guess what? We have the 4th best record in the AL and 6th best in MLB. We are 4.5 back in the division, playing catch-up with a hot team.

We have played 40 of our 62 games against teams over .500 with a record of 21-19 in those games. That's not terrible, but not great. We are 15-7 against teams under .500. The Astros played ATL, TB and MIL on the road.

As for the Rangers, they have played 31 games, that's more than half, of their games against teams UNDER .500. They are 21-10 against those teams. Against the better than. 500 teams, they are 19-11. They played ATL, BAL, NYY and ARI at home with their toughest road opponents being BAL and PIT. They've done a whale of a job. But after all they've done and the struggles we've had, we are still in the fight.

Look at the Mariners. Look at the Yanks. The Dodgers have also struggled. What about the Padres? The Cards have fallen apart. No team is perfect.

We have 100 games left and Dana seems ready to get the team some extra help. Hell, it's not even the All Star break.

Things will balance out.

Problem is that this year we can't **** around and get Dustied though.

Talent is there but it's useless if it's not used properly. The guys killing us right now (Abreu, Maldonado, Montero) need to immediately have their playing time slashed in half.
HarryRocket
Ag_07 said:

Kindly and respectfully GTFO then.

There's no place for this kinda BS.

We're all disappointed and thought he'd be much much better but this is trash.

Do us all a favor and stop posting

This is actually the perfect place to share my opinion. I believe there is an ignore feature if your butt is so hurt from my post.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
W said:

another example of how Dusty has mismanaged the batting lineup...

in today's game Yanier reached 77 at-bats...with 21 hits and .757 OPS

77 at-bats is also the same number that Hensley had before he was sent down on May 19th

Hensley posted 10 hits and a dreadful .403 OPS. He started 9 games at DH and 7 games at 2B

those starts should have gone to Yanier and Dubon

I'll agree with you in terms of the DH at bats should have been Diaz. But you also have to consider that Hensley had a very good history coming into this season, better than Dubon or Diaz so he was given early opportunities. Also Hensley was at a position where the starter was out giving him more of an opportunity. I don't think that is a fair comparison
Deluxe
AG
Bummer last night. I really wanted that one. A chance to steal one in Toronto with Blanco on the hill and Bregman/Pena resting. Would have given us some house money to go for the series win tonight with Framber on the bump. Oh well. The Blue Jays are a tough team and it's not easy to take 3/4 from them on the road.

The next 13 games are big IMO. Need 10-3 or better.
Big Al 1992
AG
Astros need to go 62-38 in these last 100 games to get to 98 wins. Another 8 game win streak like we had last month not only will help us get there but will close that Arlington gap.
Farmer1906
AG
The bad news is we get some tough pitching from Cleveland.
  • Logan Allen - their Hunter Brown
  • Triston McKenzie - gave us fits last year and looked perfect in his first start.
  • Shane Bieber - no explanation needed

The Nats suck, but the Reds are playing better and then it's Mets & Dodgers. Not exactly an easy run.
W
AG
it's a big game tonight

settles the wildcard tiebreaker between the Blue Jays and Astros
W
AG
looking back one year...

AL West standings on June 8th, 2022:

Astros......36-21

Angels......27-31
Rangers....27-31

'stros had a 9-1/2 game lead
tjack16
AG
W said:

it's a big game tonight

settles the wildcard tiebreaker between the Blue Jays and Astros

So what you're saying is Yordan will get the night off?
texasaggie2015
AG
Good morning fellas. Add Cody Bellinger and Eduardo Rodriguez (depending on how he looks when he returns) to the list of names to keep an eye on as we get closer to the trade deadline.

I fully expect Houston to acquire both a bat and an arm but I think the bat will be the bigger name between the two. The arm will likely be a veteran guy who can give us valuable innings down the stretch. Of course, lots can change between now and the deadline so we'll see.

I asked about Jorge Soler and didn't really get a straight answer other than he wouldn't be a first choice.

Uncle Mike outlook is not optimistic.
n_touch
Quote:

Uncle Mike outlook is not optimistic.
Figure the same is with Lance this year
texasaggie2015
AG
I've actually heard nothing in regards to LMJ. That whole thing is beyond weird.
redline248
AG
Quote:

Cody Bellinger
Does Houston have enough dicks to feed him?
texasaggie2015
AG
I can assure you there's nothing to worry about there. These guys are grown men. They talk a lot behind the scenes too. They want to win and they will work out their differences.

If it was going to be that big of a problem, his name wouldn't be coming up for a second time (the Astros seriously pursued him in the offseason).
Farmer1906
AG
I can see it now. Cody and Meyers platooning in CF while Julks gets 90% of the starts in LF.
Farmer1906
AG
texasaggie2015
AG
Cody can play first base as well which is why the Astros are very interested.
Farmer1906
AG
Good point. Cody gets Yainer's monthly start at 1b too.

edit: I have just lost faith that our manager will properly use the roster given to him.
Pappy Van Winkle
AG
Thanks for sharing this
texasaggie2015
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Good point. Cody gets Yainer's monthly start at 1b too.
Exactly.
Farmer1906
AG
Wabs
AG
I think we need to add TWO bats. An outfielder and someone that can play OF/1B/DH.

I know, I know........Dusty will play Abreu consistently. Ok....then drop him to the 8-hole.

Also, need to add a SP that can be a strong 4/5/long relief

Those 3 things are what I think we need to compete for a title THIS season. We'll see if the GM/front office is willing to do it.
n_touch
redline248 said:

Quote:

Cody Bellinger
Does Houston have enough dicks to feed him?
So many responses that can be made, but all of the ones in my head now would result it a ban longer than MathGuy during the playoffs
texasaggie2015
AG
FWIW I've been told that they're going to be "VERY aggressive" so two bats would not surprise me in the least
n_touch
texasaggie2015 said:

Cody can play first base as well which is why the Astros are very interested.
Let's do it. Would love to see 1 reporter ask him about playing with Altuve and Bregman. He was pretty strong in his opinion
Wabs
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

FWIW I've been told that they're going to be "VERY aggressive" so two bats would not surprise me in the least
Conforto, Bellinger, Soler. I'd take 2 of those 3.
First Page Last Page
Page 628 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.