***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

5,907,352 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Bob Lee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Cardinals tie it up in the 8th vs Arlington

Should've had 2nd and 3rd with 1 out. Arenado got cheeky running the bases.
tjack16
AG

Dusty will give him a nice reward of the bench tomorrow
HarryRocket
It couldn't be more clear who the everyday guy needs to be. Diaz needs to be in the lineup, at this point i don't care if it's at first or behind the plate. But let's see what he can do with consistent playing time
1876er
AG
Ag_07 said:

Not if he's the #2 catcher

Abreu will be fine

He's hitting it better and now kinda unlucky. He's walking and getting RBIs so he's not as worthless as he was.

He'll come around. It's in there somewhere.

You are under estimating how bad an OPS of 540 is. The sample size is big enough. Abreu is done.
HarryRocket
! It seems expectations have successfully been lowered and Abreau is being graded like we graded Adam Everett. he gives us… something, and we're satisfied.
HarryRocket
1876er said:

Ag_07 said:

Not if he's the #2 catcher

Abreu will be fine

He's hitting it better and now kinda unlucky. He's walking and getting RBIs so he's not as worthless as he was.

He'll come around. It's in there somewhere.

You are under estimating how bad an OPS of 540 is. The sample size is big enough. Abreu is done.

I agree. They have a month to save face saying they gave him enough of a chance. But he's gotta go, we're contenders
Farmer1906
AG
HarryRocket said:

! It seems expectations have successfully been lowered and Abreau is being graded like we graded Adam Everett. he gives us… something, and we're satisfied.

Or you judge by what he does moving forward.
HarryRocket
Farmer1906 said:

HarryRocket said:

I'm ok with that. But when does the reset button get worn out? I'm ready to call it. I've seen enough. But at what point does anyone with a rational mind meet me? All star break? End of July? what's your deadline for him not to be a bottom tier mlb first baseman?
OKCAg2002
AG
Rangers just won on a walkoff single.
cap-n-jack
**** arlington. They're starting to really piss me off.
JDUB08AG
AG
cap-n-jack said:

Only going to make their fall that much more glorious
Farmer1906
AG
HarryRocket said:

Farmer1906 said:

HarryRocket said:

I'm ok with that. But when does the reset button get worn out? I'm ready to call it. I've seen enough. But at what point does anyone with a rational mind meet me? All star break? End of July? what's your deadline for him not to be a bottom tier mlb first baseman?

All fair questions. I don't know the answers.
Ag_07
AG
Why a month? Where does that arbitrary date come from? Just because it's halfway? WTF is the difference between now and a month from now?

With the offense not being completely flat and now getting contributions from the bottom of the order and guys not named Yordan and Tucker he's fine doing what he's doing and working his way up. There's nothing to do with him and we don't have a better option.

Like I said the x numbers are much better, swings look exponentially better, and the walks help as well.

I'm not expecting him to turn into Jeff Bagwell of a sudden but he's shown flashes that give hope as opposed to a couple weeks when he looked completely lost.
Mathguy64
AG
I hate to tell everyone the bad news but Abreu is going to play basically every day all season. They owe him $60MM for the 3 years. There is no way in the world he gets DFAed. In the last year maybe Crane eats that sunk cost but no chance in the world in year 1. I can't even see him getting benched.
HarryRocket
Ag_07 said:

Why a month? Where does that arbitrary date come from? Just because it's halfway? WTF is the difference between now and a month from now?

With the offense not being completely flat and now getting contributions from the bottom of the order and guys not named Yordan and Tucker he's fine doing what he's doing and working his way up. There's nothing to do with him and we don't have a better option.

Like I said the x numbers are much better, swings look exponentially better, and the walks help as well.

I'm not expecting him to turn into Jeff Bagwell of a sudden but he's shown flashes that give hope as opposed to a couple weeks when he looked completely lost.

That's what I'm asking. When is it?

What has he shown flashes of? He barely flew the wall one time… in Oakland. I see occasional singles with a couple of walks. Average and ops continue to tank. I don't see flashes, I see an old man

He has the 2nd lowest ops in baseball of qualified hitters. The closest first baseman to his ops is 120 points. Only 6 first baseball have an ops under .700, dude is at .540.

60 million or not, at some point you don't let him destroy your 180 million dollar contender.

Yuli will be available. Humble pie taste better than losing.

Frok
AG
At least put him at the bottom of the lineup.

I agree though, I see nothing from Abreu.
Ag_07
AG
They're not losing

Yuli was awful last year and he never was benched. Abreu won't be either.
HarryRocket
Ag_07 said:

They're not losing

Ah, yes, the wild card standard.

It sounds odd but it makes sense,… if they were losing I wouldn't care as much. Im not worried about fielding a team that can beat the angels in June. Sure, they can do that with Abreau tied to their ankles
Johnsy3
AG
cap-n-jack said:

They've played the easiest schedule so far. However, their offense has been absolutely ridiculous no matter who they've played
HarryRocket
Ag_07 said:

They're not losing

Yuli was awful last year and he never was benched. Abreu won't be either.

How awful was Yuli last year? Abreau is 110 points below that awful OPS. Abreau has been historically bad for a first baseman. It's bad enough to consider breaking some norms
Ag_07
AG
Ok...

I'm just saying he's showing signs of life and he won't be benched anytime soon.
AustinCountyAg
Abreu won't be traded, DFA'd, or benched simply because of his contract.

The best we can hope for is he see's more frequent days off. And as long as the team is winning like they are it won't happen.
Beat40
The Abreu discussions are wearing me out. Because of his contract, he's playing this year unless he gets hurt or unless Dana & Crane decides he's done.

It's easier just to root for a guy who was once a damn good hitter to find it again than complain every. single. night.
Beat40
HarryRocket said:

It's not lowered expectations. It's hope.
chlavinka
AG
Abreu actually has not gotten better. He's hitting the ball harder but his OPS has been stagnant around 540 all season. 600 is the Mendoza line of the OPS. I'm not sure he's going to make it.
agproducer
AG
Awesome! The Abreu conversation again!
agproducer
AG
A break from the Abreu conversation for some Yordan appreciation.

AggiEE
Beat40 said:

The Abreu discussions are wearing me out. Because of his contract, he's playing this year unless he gets hurt or unless Dana & Crane decides he's done.

It's easier just to root for a guy who was once a damn good hitter to find it again than complain every. single. night.

He can play, but at some point he becomes a massive liability if his performance continues to be worst in the league at that position and where almost anybody would be more effective in that role.

It's not hard to get a competent bat at 1B but I'd hate to possibly put the season at risk due to a sunk cost fallacy.

If he's still batting with an OPS in the .500 range in
August with no signs of improvement and a contested division, he needs to see massively reduced playing time
W
AG
since Abreu hit the home run against the A's...

he is 5 for 24 at the plate with a double

still the same guy

MaxPower
He is gonna play and be the primary 1B no matter what. The question for the org *should* be whether he needs to play 155 games. Given his age, perhaps his performance would improve if he got a day off a week. Perhaps he sucks either way but more ABs keeps someone else like Diaz sharp. It's really the same question I have for machete. I accept he's the primary player at his position but if we are an org that thinks rest is so important why do our oldest players play every GD day?
wangus12
AG
Johnsy3 said:

cap-n-jack said:

They've played the easiest schedule so far. However, their offense has been absolutely ridiculous no matter who they've played

They better ease up a little lol. You're not allowed to play at record setting pace if you aren't a team based in NY or LA. Jomboy will be accusing them of cheating in no time.
iamtheglove
AggiEE said:

Beat40 said:

He can play, but at some point he becomes a massive liability if his performance continues to be worst in the league at that position and where almost anybody would be more effective in that role.

It's not hard to get a competent bat at 1B but I'd hate to possibly put the season at risk due to a sunk cost fallacy.

If he's still batting with an OPS in the .500 range in
August with no signs of improvement and a contested division, he needs to see massively reduced playing time
I guess this is where I disagree. Yes, he has been a massive disappointment and has not figured it out after more than 2 months. But in spite of it, and not having Altuve, Uncle Mike, McCullers, Luis and Urquidy for more than a handful of games, we're still tracking toward 95-100 wins, so I don't see where the season is at risk due to Abreu. Heck, we're 19-7 over the last month which has been a really enjoyable stretch.
Proudag06
AG
Couldn't watch last night but watching highlights, I had to laugh that Julks almost lost his helmet three different times during his Grand Slam trot.

Great win. Now back to *****in and moaning about our Cuban first baseman. Hopefully the season plays out similarly to the last time we spent the season doing that.
tjack16
AG
I feel like we have the same conversation about Abreu every 5 days.

That should tell you all you need to know about his production
mwm
Watch at the heads of the infielders as they watch that rocket race over their heads.
First Page Last Page
Page 608 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.