***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,466,258 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
iamtheglove
How long do you want to ignore this user?
astros4545 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Does anyone know how to go about getting tickets for the Budweiser deck at MMP? Are those public? Is there a minimum order quantity?

I believe it is free entry if you are trans

Interesting, how do they know?
Farmer1906
AG
iamtheglove said:

astros4545 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Does anyone know how to go about getting tickets for the Budweiser deck at MMP? Are those public? Is there a minimum order quantity?

Their eyes?
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Something to keep in mind, currently Julks has very little apparent value. He could have been taken in Rule five and was passed on by every team. You're telling me he couldnt stay on the roster for a team like Ari, Cin, Oak etc but now someone is going to trade for him, or he that he is good enough to stay on our roster.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I didnt think those one offs were enough to warrant a percentage honestly and I dont believe Abreu will DH. First base is special, if those guys can play and run bases they arent using up their legs any more to cover first which keeps their glove in the game. We saw the same thing with Yuli.
All I do is Nguyen
Farmer1906 said:

There just aren't enough ABs to go around to everyone. When Brantley gets back, 90% of the PT for the OF needs to be Alvarez, TED, McCormick, & Brantley.

Sure, guys will need a day off here and there, but there aren't really enough opportunities to give Julks or Meyers a great look. They're both 27. Do we see a likely ceiling better than an average MLB player? I don't. Brown probably needs to see if Julks has any value after a hot start then hold on the Jake as a 4th or 5th OFer since he's strong defensively.

We can't even seem to find regular ABs for our literal #1 prospect who is on the MLB roster playing a position of need where the starter is below average.
The sentimental part of me wants Julks to thrive here because he's a hometown kid.

The business part of me says if we can get more arms, or even bats for him that will contribute then I say go for it.
Farmer1906
AG
He DHed about 15% of the time in Chicago. He's not getting any younger. I would hope its in our plans to get him off his feet some.
Beat40
I think Meyers was a victim of bad timing. He was playing well, injury, never fully recovered last year, I'm sure was cleared, but in reality probably should have rehabbed longer. I guarantee he felt we would lose his job if he didn't play. Problem is he lost his job anyway because playing, like any other major leaguer would do, hurt more than just getting healthy and hope to come back to pre-injury. In the meantime Chas played pretty decently and when Meyers came back, he looked especially bad in comparison.

He ends the season in AAA and plays pretty damn well. Problem is, he doesn't have anytime during the season to actually work out of anything. I'm sure he's up there with a ton of pressure.

My point is he needs to back down to AAA. The Astros need to do him a favor and trade him to a place where he can have a chance to work his way onto an MLB roster. Not going to happen in Houston so long as Chas, MB, and Julks are healthy.
Johnsy3
AG
linkdude said:

he's a cheat code
"The Barrel classification is assigned to batted-ball events whose comparable hit types (in terms of exit velocity and launch angle) have led to a minimum . 500 batting average and 1.500 slugging percentage since Statcast was implemented Major League wide in 2015." - mlb.com

Lonestar_Ag09
AG
They also didn't have Yordan and Brantley to cover majority of DH games.

And I preface this part with saying I believe when Brantley comes back Julks goes down, when Jose comes back Hensley goes down.

Who plays 1B if Abreu is DHing? Diaz maybe?
Farmer1906
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

And I preface this part with saying I believe when Brantley comes back Julks goes down, when Jose comes back Hensley goes down.

I have a hard time believing they're not going to have a back up 1B on the roster. Either Hensley stays, JJ gets a call up, or Diaz is trusted there.
TRM
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Hensley stays, too versatile. I think Salazar gets sent down when Jose comes back.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
JJ just got removed from the 40 man...he isnt coming back this year if ever. I think it will be Diaz in spots if they keep salazar up. And I think we might even see Brantley in a few spots

more reasons I believe we see Hensley go down unless he picks it up and fast.

We also have an issue for backup 3B, Dubon doesn't play there much, Julks they say can play there but who really knows. Third and first are the big questions marks for Hensley
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I agree this is the best scenario, but what isnt acknowledged is that is Salazar goes down then Diaz becomes only the maldy replacement. No longer DH (especially) at bats, LF at bats, 1B at bats
Beat40
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

JJ just got removed from the 40 man...he isnt coming back this year if ever. I think it will be Diaz in spots if they keep salazar up. And I think we might even see Brantley in a few spots

more reasons I believe we see Hensley go down unless he picks it up and fast.

We also have an issue for backup 3B, Dubon doesn't play there much, Julks they say can play there but who really knows. Third and first are the big questions marks for Hensley
According to Hensley's MILB page, he's played the following positions:

1B - 71
2B - 80
3B - 112
SS - 91

David Hensley Stats, Fantasy & News | MiLB.com

How well he plays is a question, but he does have experience all over the infield.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Your missing the previous statement where I discussed him being sent down...that is what leads to the issue of a backup at first and third.
TRM
AG
Just sit Maldy more.

He can still get 1B or LF at bats though, he can switch to C if Maldy needs to be pinch hit for injured, but I agree it's not ideal to not have a backup catcher available.
Farmer1906
AG
Dubon has played a few games there, but you're making a great case as to why Hensley needs to stay.
Beat40
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Your missing the previous statement where I discussed him being sent down...that is what leads to the issue of a backup at first and third.
But I'm saying because of his experience all over the infield, that's an argument for him not being sent down.
spadilly
S
n_touch
iamtheglove said:

astros4545 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I totally agree. But when I make debate points on here its solely for the sake of discussion and trying to figure out what others who are unpredictable and make some weird decisions **cough dusty cough** might do.

I 100% would send down Salazar who never should have been here. and send down Julks, whose sole purpose in the position he would be taking IS late inning defense and spelling guys on off days. That is what the 4th or in our case 4.5 outfielder does. That position doesnt need to be elite or even average at the plate but they should be a great fielder. Jake is the better fielder. and if Jake got hot or Chaz scuffles down the stretch then that is his opportunity to produce.

When Brantley comes back Diaz shouldnt be used as a DH anyways. Yordan, Brantley, Abreu or a regular on an off day should al get those at bats before him. He should catch once a week and spell Maldonado in late innings if he comes up to bat.

Hensley would then serve as the backup third baseman and first baseman to give Abreu and Alex a break. Dubon should be back up SS and 2nd to spell those guys.
Farmer1906
AG
Farmer1906
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

I totally agree. But when I make debate points on here its solely for the sake of discussion and trying to figure out what others who are unpredictable and make some weird decisions **cough dusty cough** might do.

I 100% would send down Salazar who never should have been here. and send down Julks, whose sole purpose in the position he would be taking IS late inning defense and spelling guys on off days. That is what the 4th or in our case 4.5 outfielder does. That position doesnt need to be elite or even average at the plate but they should be a great fielder. Jake is the better fielder. and if Jake got hot or Chaz scuffles down the stretch then that is his opportunity to produce.

When Brantley comes back Diaz shouldnt be used as a DH anyways. Yordan, Brantley, Abreu or a regular on an off day should al get those at bats before him. He should catch once a week and spell Maldonado in late innings if he comes up to bat.

Hensley would then serve as the backup third baseman and first baseman to give Abreu and Alex a break. Dubon should be back up SS and 2nd to spell those guys.
If he gets 6 to 7 PAs a week, we're only looking at 160-185 PA.

Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Not saying you are wrong but I think 6-7 is his max. so we might as well accept it. That would give him 4 AB in his start and 2-3 late inning replacements...that even might be high to be honest.
All I do is Nguyen

linkdude
AG
Feels like Yainer starts tomorrow's day game.
agproducer
AG
I think it is two games Maldy, one Diaz and then Salazar gets a game here and there.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Man, I love this team. Also, Espada looking fit!

Farmer1906
AG
agproducer said:

I think it is two games Maldy, one Diaz and then Salazar gets a game here and there.
Maldy
Maldy
Diaz
Maldy
Maldy
Maldy
Salazar
Maldy
Maldy
Diaz
Maldy
Maldy

Maldy - 75%
Diaz - 17%
Salazar - 8%

Don't be shocked it Salazar gets the next non Maldonado start.
agproducer
AG
Yep. It could be that too.
wangus12
AG
n_touch said:

iamtheglove said:

astros4545 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Mmmmm Linda Kozlowski was a smoke show
MAROON
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

Farmer1906 said:

Man, I love this team. Also, Espada looking fit!

Pressley is that backward cap dude. Wish he would walk out from the bullpen with his cap on backwards.
Teddy Perkins
AG

Just as the thread predicted.
n_touch
Teddy Perkins said:

Just as the thread predicted.
wangus12
AG
Its the same damn guy

First Page Last Page
Page 129 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.