***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,470,416 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
jah003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
AOFA.
Prosperdick
AG

Marvin
AG
Ok, so a quick thought exercise early in the season. Altuve and Brantley come back tomorrow... who do you move?

Does Dusty trust Diaz as the backup catcher? Is Meyers too valuable as a defensive outfielder? Has Julks proved anything? Does Brown give Dusty a deciding voice in the decision?

Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Anyone else annoyed how Julks helmet seems to fall off every time he runs?
Dies Irae
Gotta move Julks. Guy is good, but with Altuve and Brantley back we shouldn't need a spare bat
Harry Dunne
I'd hope its Salazar & Meyers but it would probably be Yainer & Julks.
bearkatag15
AG
Meyers is the one that should be moved.

0 chance Salazar stays.
Wabs
AG
bearkatag15 said:

0 chance Salazar stays.

Agree. No chance he stays. I'd move Meyers down as well.
Harry Dunne
bearkatag15 said:

0 chance Salazar stays.

U sure its zero?
Marvin
AG
Harry Dunne said:

I'd hope its Salazar & Meyers but it would probably be Yainer & Julks.

I think it should be Salazar and Julks, but it might be Diaz and Julks. It's not like the offense will be missing capable hitters once Altuve and Brantley come back. I could see the team looking at defense.
redline248
AG
Who is faster between Julks and Meyers? How is Julks's range/defense?

I guess it comes down to if the team wants a defensive replacement or a serviceable bat.

Salazar better not sick around in lieu of Diaz
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Unpopular opinion. It might very well be Hensley. I do not want to see this but they have Salazar so Diz can move around. He can play first and LF, Dubon can cover the rest and Our boy David hasn't done much yet
redline248
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Unpopular opinion. It might very well be Hensley. I do not want to see this but they have Salazar so Diz can move around. He can play first and LF, Dubon can cover the rest and Our boy David hasn't done much yet
Has Diaz played left or 1st yet? Hensley played 1st the other day
Farmer1906
AG
Seeing as Dusty has yet to play Diaz at 1st or LF, I doubt he all of a sudden starts to. Hensley might stay to cover 1B.
Farmer1906
AG
redline248 said:

Who is faster between Julks and Meyers? How is Julks's range/defense?

I guess it comes down to if the team wants a defensive replacement or a serviceable bat.

Salazar better not sick around in lieu of Diaz

Meyers is faster and plays a hell of a CF. I'm not sure Julks can/should play CF.
Harry Dunne
Julks hit 31 HR in 130 games at AAA last year. He might end up being another AAAA guy, but there's a chance he's something more than just a serviceable bat.

Which doesn't mean the right play isn't to send him back to AAA to continue to get regular ABs. I'm just saying that he's not just some "never will be" like Dubon or Salazar filling a spot.
Wabs
AG
Joe Kelly placed on the IL. Said it was strained groin, but I think they meant strained vagina.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I'm not saying it happenes often. Especially seeing as Abreau doesn't miss games. Brantley also was seen practicing some first.

Take our love for He alley and his swag. He hasn't done much this year and is the odd man out. We're bringing back an OF and an INF simple logic would say we drop that same down. Hensley and Julks

I think the plan is to flip Julks in a trade later this season. He has shown some but he is buried, he won't rise above the guys that are younger than him or those starting ahead of him currently. A-la Teoscar
Farmer1906
AG
I'm not saying Diaz can't play there or that Hensley is a lock to stay up. I could see them doing it 10 different ways and coming up with some BS to defend any of it.

We have some more time to let things play out. I think we'd be absolute fools if any of them means means Yainer & Lee are in AAA and Salazar is up.

Why the hell do our phones think Hensley is "He alley"
redline248
AG
I used "serviceable" as a way of tempering my optimism for Julks and at the same time not completely writing off Jake. He had us all fairly excited in 21
shano0603
AG
Can't wait for the umpire scorecard from that game. Some of those strike calls were midway down our shins.
Prosperdick
AG
shano0603 said:

Can't wait for the umpire scorecard from that game. Some of those strike calls were midway down our shins.

Bring on the ****ing robo umps, this **** is getting ridiculous. Not only do they suck in general but adding their predisposed bias against us it's a bridge too far. I'm so ready for them to lose their influence.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Agreed. I'm just putting it out there because no one else was mentioning it. I agree that I don't see Salazar staying and Diaz going down. But I can see them both staying, if they both stay I'm not so sure we send down Julks and Meyers

The most obvious choice would be Julks and Salazar but we shall see

Something to also consider is Brantley might be back in 1-3 weeks while Jose might still be 3-6 out
iamtheglove
Meanwhile, the Tampa Rays are 10-0 with 3 consecutive shutouts. Red hot right now.
Mathguy64
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Anyone else annoyed how Julks helmet seems to fall off every time he runs?
He's channeling his inner Tony Scott
linkdude
AG
Or Bizarro (in a good way) Carlos Gomez?
Marvin
AG
iamtheglove said:

Meanwhile, the Tampa Rays are 10-0 with 3 consecutive shutouts. Red hot right now.

And the Yankees were the best team in the history of baseball in mid-summer last year. Dusty understands the slow boil.

But, yeah, I'd take that start in a heartbeat!

agproducer
AG
I think Julks has shown enough to stay up. He's hitting about .300. But it's likely he is sent down.

Hensley is more versatile defensively. He can play all infield positions. He's Tall Marwin, without the switch hitting. He's just struggling at the plate right now.

I also think Salazar will be sent down. had to do with Maldy. Diaz needs a longer look and Salazar seems like he's JAG.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Well now you jerks have me going deep dive on the hottest start to a season, which is 13 wins by the '82 Braves and '87 Brewers.

The Braves started 13-0, then went 76-73 the rest of the way and got swept by the Cardinals 3-0 in the NLCS. Why was it only best of 5 that year? That's weird. They also had an 11-game losing streak from August 3-13.

The Braves' season opener they won 1-0 over the Padres in a game with 6 total hits. They beat the Padres twice, then hosted your hometown Houston Astros.

They beat us 6-2, in a game that the Astros made 3 errors, leading to a pair of unearned runs. That games was 5-0 after 1 inning. Then they beat us 8-6. That game was 5-0 after 2 innings. Progress! After 4 games, Rafael Ramirez was hitting .467 for the Braves.
Then they beat us 5-0 and we made 2 more errors and had 5 hits. So all three games were 5-0 at one point. Ramirez went 2 for 4 in that game and was hitting .474.

Then they swept the Reds 3 straight in Cincy, although they trailed in 2 of those games. That got them to 8-0.

Then they rolled up to Houston to beat us some more. We led 3-0 after 5 innings, then they scored 5 runs off Nolan Ryan in the sixth to win 5-3. At that point, Nolan was 0-3 with a 7.90 ERA.
Then they beat us 2-1 with 2 in the top of the first to get to 10-0.
Then 6-5 to get to 11-0. We were up 4-1 in the second inning of that game, Art Howe grounded out with the tying run at third in the bottom of the ninth.

They beat the Reds 4-2 to get to 12-0,then beat them 4-3 to get to 13-0, scoring 2 runs in the bottom of the ninth. There were only 22,000 people at that game! WTF, Atlanta? Down 4-3 here's the bottom of the ninth:
Sinatro walked
Ramirez reached on a bunt single, Sinatro to second.
Linares flied out to center.
Butler singled to shortstop; ball his SInatro, who is out, Ramirez to second.
Wild pitch sends Butler to 2B and Ramirez to 3B
Pocoroba intentionally walked.
Claudell Washington singles to center, 2 runs scored.
They hit 1 ball out of the infield and scored 2 runs.

When they were 13-0, they had a 4 game lead on the Padres and a 9 game lead on the Astros.

Next day, the Reds beat them 2-1

I remember the Brewers' streak pretty well because it was my first year with a subscription to Sports Illustrated and also the year Paul Molitor had a 39-game hit streak. They swept the Red Sox to start the season 3-0 at home, including a wild 12-11 third game of the year. Rob Deer aka 1980s Joey Gallo was 2 for 4 with 2 HR and 6 RBI in that game.

The next day they welcomed the Rangers to their home opener by scoring 8 runs in Arlington in the top opf the first and holding on to an 11-8 win. They scored 26 runs in 3 games to sweep Texas.

They got to 9-0 and swept the Orioles on April 15 as Juan Nieves threw a no-hitter. He walked 5 guys and struck out 7.

The Rangers rolled over for the next three, losing 10-2, 4-3, and 6-4 to get Milwaukee to 12-0. Rob Deer hit 2 more home runs in the last game to give him SEVEN in the first 12 games of the year. He had 4 RBI to get to 17.
12 games into the season, Rob Deer was hitting .429 with a 1.472 OPS and was on pace for 95 HR and 230 RBI

They beat the White Sox 5-4 to get to 13-0, then got whipped 7-1 the next day. At 13-0, they were only 3 games up on the Yankees. Ironically, neither of those teams won the division. The Tigers won 98, the Blue Jays won 96, and the Brewers finished 3rd with 91 wins.

Feels so good, feelin' good again.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
So Salazar and who? Meyers I assume?

The whole point in keeping Salazar initially was so there was a backup and Diaz can be a bat off the bench.

Hensley might be just that, but he's behind short/skinny Honduran Marwin. When Jose comes back there is going to be very limited PT in the infield

Maybe they do keep Julks and send don Meyers, but who knows. As I said I think either way he's trade bait
W
AG
good to see that the Mariners (4-7) are scuffling in the early season
W
AG
one small issue with Julks...

he has zero walks in 29 plate appearances.

his batting average is his on-base % --- which is concerning

(and right now thanks to a sac fly...his on-base % is actually lower than his BA)
agproducer
AG
Salazar and Julks.

There's no real room for Julks, and I agree with you - he may be trade bait.

W, good call on the lack of walks. When he goes back to AAA, they should have him work on that.
agproducer
AG
Also, anyone else follow Evan Gattis on Twitter? He put out some interesting comments today about 2017. I'm not sure why he is bringing it up.
Farmer1906
AG
Julks has been fine drawing walks all thru his NCAA & Minor League career. Diaz on the other hand is more like Pena. They're free swingers who pretty much get on base via the hit.
First Page Last Page
Page 126 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.