***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,522,937 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

Chas on the bench. No respect.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Yankees / Giants are in the middle of the 7th and the game started 1 hour and 50 minutes ago.
Red Five
AG
Mathguy64 said:

I swore I would not complain about lineups but Chas needs to ask to be traded. Or pout and force Brown to trade him. This really makes no sense. None.
It's unconscionable. Even if you feel like you aren't ready to give up on Jake, and I'm not saying they should, to not give Chas the opening day start is disrespectful beyond belief after everything he has done for the team. The man is a GD World Series hero.
Ag_07
AG
Mathguy64 said:

I swore I would not complain about lineups but Chas needs to ask to be traded. Or pout and force Brown to trade him. This really makes no sense. None.

This

He's done more than enough to earn the Opening Day start.
AggieNiebs
AG
Verlander on IL!!!

Verlander Placed on IL
Teddy Perkins
AG
Weirdest slide of the year....so far.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

I didn't list it on the season prediction thing because it didn't have a real spot to:

BOLD UNEXPECTED PREDICTION:
Jake Myers makes you all eat crow. Comes out mashing, takes over majority CF playing time, hits 20HR, steals 20 bases. And we truly have our CF'er of the future
This didnt take long to get a little more real.

But I agree with the above that Chas should be starting no matter what after his post season performance last year.
Pappy Van Winkle
AG
Jake Meyers must have naked pictures of Jim Crane or some other sort of incriminating evidence. Starting him over Chas makes zero sense.
Deluxe
AG
Totally agree that Chas should be starting today. His contribution to our October run last year should have at least earned him that.

Going forward, given that it sounds like Yordan will be getting frequent days off for the first few weeks, I can kind of see the logic for wanting to make sure Chas is in CF and Hensley at 2B on those days. A lineup of no Yordan + 7-9 of Meyers, Dubon, Maldy would be yucky.
Harry Dunne
Injuries aside, there was never any doubt in my mind that:

1. Peña was going to open the season high in the batting order
2. Dubon was going to get his 300 ABs
3. Chas was going to be disrespected.

None of those things are "best" IMO (maybe Peña, but only in light of injuries), but Dusty gonna Dusty and it's funny that anyone thought otherwise.

I'm sure I'll be annoyed after another slow start, but right now my replica championship ring is shining too bright for me to care.
Wabs
AG
On the day we raise the banner for a WS that Chas a big time part in earning - and he sits? WTF?
Harry Dunne
Pappy Van Winkle said:

Jake Meyers must have naked pictures of Jim Crane or some other sort of incriminating evidence. Starting him over Chas makes zero sense.
There's obviously something about him that Dusty doesn't like. I'd really like to know what it is.
bullard21k
AG
Dusty has some weird flex with the center field position. If click didn't force the Myles straw trade that dude still might be starting in CF 130+ times a year. I'm not sure why he is so he'll bent on finding anyone other than chas to take over CF.

If you want get Myers a bunch of ABs I'm all for it bc we need another OF and utility guy off the bench and i actually like myers a lot but I would have though at least giving chas the start game 1 unless he is hurt would be a given.
3B Paul 97
AG
Wabs said:

On the day we raise the banner for a WS that Chas a big time part in earning - and he sits? WTF?

Did he run the bases a lot against the Space Cowboys? He might need some rest now.
The Milkman
AG
I'm sure people will complain about a "slow start" which 6 weeks in could be 24-16 and they'd find ways to complain about a .600 winning percentage
Ag_07
AG
Jake has been given ample opportunity to prove he's the guy and he has either not produced or is injured.

Not advocating giving up on him but what exactly has he shown to get starts above Chas?
Wabs
AG
Ag_07 said:

Jake has been given ample opportunity to prove he's the guy and he has either not produced or is injured.

Not advocating giving up on him but what exactly has he shown to get starts above Chas?
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
When was he healthy and didn't produce?

And since when does being injured previously take you out of playing now when you're healthy?
Big Al 1992
AG
Meyers is gonna go 0-4 today and start again tomorrow. Good ol' Dusty.
Pappy Van Winkle
AG
I didn't mind Straw. I still root for him actually. I thought he brought something different to the lineup with his speed and savvy base running ability. Not to mention the defensive skills. Dude brought home gold glove last season.
Ag_07
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

When was he healthy and didn't produce?

And since when does being injured previously take you out of playing now when you're healthy?

Well the fact that when you were down the guy playing for you was better
spadilly
S
The Porkchop Express said:

Yankees / Giants are in the middle of the 7th and the game started 1 hour and 50 minutes ago.

The owners have to be pissed with the hit that beer, food, and merch sales are going to take this year with shorter games.
Deluxe
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

I didn't list it on the season prediction thing because it didn't have a real spot to:

Jake Myers makes you all eat crow. Comes out mashing, takes over majority CF playing time, hits 20HR, steals 20 bases. And we truly have our CF'er of the future

But I agree with the above that Chas should be starting no matter what after his post season performance last year.
I don't see it but I hope you're right.

He looked good in August 2021 when we first called him up and he's raked in each of his Sugar Land stints the last two years.

He struggled in September 2021 (perhaps he hit the rookie wall?), all of 2022 (perhaps due to lingering effects from his shoulder injury?) and this past spring (who cares, it's spring). So it's not like there isn't reason to believe he could find better form.

The lack of power he's displayed in his last ~250 MLB ABs is what's most concerning to me though. SLG in the low .300s.

It will be interesting to see how long of a leash he gets for somewhat regular PT. Like you said, if he's going to takeover CF, he needs to come out of the gate mashing.
Harry Dunne
The Milkman said:

I'm sure people will complain about a "slow start" which 6 weeks in could be 24-16 and they'd find ways to complain about a .600 winning percentage
Correct.

The only thing that has been universally exempt from complaining around here was rookie year Yordan when like 50 games in he was batting .350 and on like a 70 HR 200 RBI pace. But that only lasted until he descended to a mere first ballot Hall of Famer type level.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Deluxe said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

I don't see it but I hope you're right.

He looked good in August 2021 when we first called him up and he's raked in each of his Sugar Land stints the last two years.

He struggled in September 2021 (perhaps he hit the rookie wall?), all of 2022 (perhaps due to lingering effects from his shoulder injury?) and this past spring (who cares, it's spring). So it's not like there isn't reason to believe he could find better form.

The lack of power he's displayed in his last ~250 MLB ABs is what's most concerning to me though. SLG in the low .300s.

It will be interesting to see how long of a leash he gets for somewhat regular PT. Like you said, if he's going to takeover CF, he needs to come out of the gate mashing.
I mean we really only need him to "take over" for another year or two until the pint sized future goat comes up
Deluxe
AG
Ooozing with swag
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Harry Dunne
Throwback to when he was the Ohtani of the corn fields.

EastCoastAgNc
AG
I think it's clear either Dusty or someone in the organization has a serious vendetta against Chas.
All I do is Nguyen
I'm gonna laugh if Jake goes 3-4 tonight with a couple of RBIs
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I think the "Progress" in terms of Tucker and Framber comes as we see another year of Gilbert/Melton in a pro OF as well as see how Hunter does and a healthy Whitley
Deluxe
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

I'm gonna laugh if Jake goes 3-4 tonight with a couple of RBIs
If he goes 0-4 with 4 Ks but throws out a runner going from first to third, Dusty is gonna walk into his press conference all smug like, "see, told ya"
Harry Dunne
EastCoastAgNc said:

I think it's clear either Dusty or someone in the organization has a serious vendetta against Chas.
Yes, that's what it feels like, and I'm sure there's something there, but at the end of the day his closest age 27 comp is Astro legend Matt Mieske.

I like him, think he's underrated, he had some great postseason moments and I wish he'd get the start but the bottom line is that he's probably not the future at CF and I don't think it's that criminal that a 3rd year player with 643 career ABs is not getting the opening day start.

Like I said, I'd give him the start and feel free to jump all over me, but I'm not that outraged.
Beat40
EastCoastAgNc said:

"I'm not saying it's something that we would never do."

Hello, Ohtani!
GoodBullShark
AG
The crowd needs to start the CHAZ CHOP every time Meyers is at bat. This some billyjack bull*****
First Page Last Page
Page 15 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.