***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,528,529 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
OKCAg2002
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Let's do this!
Farmer1906
AG
I watched this with a huge **** eating grin on my face.

Johnsy3
AG
The Ringer's Pre-Season Power Rankings

Quote:

1. Houston Astros
The Astros have reached six consecutive league championship series, and the defending champions just keep rolling no matter which stars they lose. George Springer's gone? Now Kyle Tucker's ready to make good on his potential. Gerrit Cole's in New York? It's OK, Framber Valdez is here. Carlos Correa's departed? Well, Jeremy Peña can win a Gold Glove and World Series MVP as a rookie replacement.

The latest free agent to leave Houston is ace Justin Verlander, but the Astros are well-equipped to replace him because last year's group had more good starters than could fill a rotation. Touted prospect Hunter Brown, who spun a 0.89 ERA in 20 1/3 innings last season, even looks like Verlander when pitching.

Elsewhere, Houston went outside the organization to upgrade the lineup, with Jos Abreu and his 137 wRC+ in 2022 replacing Yuli Gurriel's 85. A bigger bat at first base should help compensate for the early-season absences of Jos Altuve and Michael Brantley. Repeating as World Series champions is a tall order for any teamnobody's done so since the 1998-2000 Yankeesbut the Astros enter the season as favorites once again.
cap-n-jack

Ready to Reign
07ag
AG
anyone have tmobile with an extra mlb.tv code to share? email me 7002ga at gmail
https://ts.la/eric59704
All I do is Nguyen
Farmer1906 said:

I love nothing more than hearing the Jomboy crew HAVE TO give us the credit we are due.
Post removed:
by user
AustinCountyAg
my dick is hard already waiting for thursday. I love the Astros. Run this mother****er back. I want back to back.
AgSportsFan89
AG
GLF!
bobinator
AG
Our Astros house of three is now an Astros house of five, so we'll be bringing even more mojo this season. Thinking about making a couple "GLF" onesies.
MAROON
AG

What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
All I do is Nguyen
AustinCountyAg said:

my dick is hard already waiting for thursday.

Marvin
AG
Late to the party, I guess.
CFTXAG10
AG
In. GLF!
Faustus
The offseason has been interminable.
LFG!
Ag_07
AG
Great job on the OP!!

GLF!!!!
Ag_07
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Posted this on the other thread before I saw this one

So much greatness in this clip

Regarding the addition of Matt Gage...I don't really know who he is but it's the Astros so he'll probably be a stud.

None of these numbers even matter just know that it's the Astros and they'll be in the ALCS.

How about the Astros have a legit shot to have the CY winner in Framber or Javier, the MVP in Yordan, the ROY in Hunter Brown, and the Reliever of the year in Pressly.

They just get to the point where it's an awkward silence and they're all shrugging their shoulders like...Look it's the Astros, they're stacked, and the WS goes through Houston. What else is new?
The Porkchop Express
AG
Life is better with a beagle
Proudag06
AG
Faustus said:

The offseason has been interminable.
LFG!

Imagine how it feels for the losers who weren't still playing in November.
Farmer1906
AG
Since the gang is all on here now, lets get our preseason predictions in. Feel free to add categories and expand.

Predicted Record:
Team MVP:
Team Cy Young:
Rookie of the Year:

Surprise Player of the Year:
Make 2 or more Positive Predictions:

Make 2 or more Negative Predictions:

Farmer1906
AG
Predicted Record: 101-61
Team MVP: Kyle Tucker
Team Cy Young: Cristian Javier
Rookie of the Year: Yainer Diaz
Surprise Player of the Year: Ronel Blanco
  • Luis Garcia takes the next step from being above avg to good bordering on great. Sub 3.3 ERA with 185+ K
  • Kyle Tucker also takes the next step from good to great. Top 5 MVP finish. 30-30 with 100+ RBI.
  • Jose Abreu has the best season at first base in an Astro uniform since 2008 Lance Berkman.
  • Ronel Blanco establishes himself as a member of our rotation and makes the postseason roster

• Altuve starts to look his age a little. Not a bad season, but more in line with .275/.350/450. Nowhere near his 2022.
  • Hunter Brown is fine. More in line with a 4/5 type with flashes of brilliance and flashes of meltdown.
  • One of the med/high (Pressly, Montero, Stanek, Neris, or Abreu) leverage relievers just flat out stinks for the majority of the season.
zgood10
AG
LFG boys
All I do is Nguyen
Predicted Record: 104 - 58
Team MVP: Bregman
Team Cy Young: Javier
Rookie of the Year: Brown

Surprise Player of the Year: Hensley

• Brown really comes into his own and ends up being our 3rd starter behind Framchise and Javier
  • Dirden gets called up mid season and shows he belongs

• Pena has a sophomore slump
  • LMC comes back but gets injured again and misses the postseason
AustinCountyAg
Farmer1906 said:

Predicted Record: 95-67
Team MVP: Tucker
Team Cy Young: Javier
Rookie of the Year: Brown (first full season)

Surprise Player of the Year: Whitley comes up second half of the year and shoves
1. Tucker wins league MVP
2. Javier wins league Cy young

1. LMJ doesn't win more than 6 games the entire year
2. Maldy loses the catching job the second half of the season because he hits belove .100 avg
CFTXAG10
AG
Predicted Record: 103-59
Team MVP: Alvarez
Team Cy Young: Framber
Rookie of the Year: Brown

Surprise Player of the Year: Chaz (He builds off his late season/post season success and solidifies his spot)

• Abreu fits like a golden glove, he has one of the best seasons of his career
  • We don't skip a beat without Altuve. Come out the gates swinging and have the best record in MLB when he returns

-Pena struggles early
-Dusty outlives us all and is the manager for eternity
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07
AG
Predicted Record: 104-58
Team MVP: Tucker
Team Cy Young: Framber
Rookie of the Year: Hunter Brown

Surprise Player of the Year: Chas - Dude solidifies his spot in CF and is a top 10 CFer and ends up getting Meyers traded at the deadline
  • Framber wins 20+ and a league CY
  • Hensely emerges as the next Marwin or Aledmys and is key to this teams success filling in all over the field.

• LMJ get injured again and/or doesn't come back for quite awhile.
  • The random days off for his hand add up and Yordan ends up missing a good bit of time.

Farmer1906
AG
That's the 3rd person to predict my ace getting hurt or sucking. Yall need to stop that right now.

AggieJ2002
AG
So in the last couple days, I've seen the Astros ranked as the #1 Bullpen, the #1 Lineup, and Top 5 starting rotation (which we know is underrated with our depth).

GLF!!!!
All I do is Nguyen
Farmer1906 said:

That's the 3rd person to predict my ace getting hurt or sucking. Yall need to stop that right now.

I LOVE LMC as much as the next guy, even got his autograph a few years back. He just cannot stay healthy for whatever reason.
Farmer1906
AG
AggieJ2002 said:

So in the last couple days, I've seen the Astros ranked as the #1 Bullpen, the #1 Lineup, and Top 5 starting rotation (which we know is underrated with our depth).

GLF!!!!

They did a position group draft on Talkin Baseball. 4 guys took turns picking one of INF/C, OF/DH, SP, & RP. No guy could draft 2 from 1 team. Jimmy took Astros Starting Pitching as the first pick in the first round. Our RP & OF/DH got picked too.

GLF, indeed.
CFTXAG10
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

Farmer1906 said:

I LOVE LMC as much as the next guy, even got his autograph a few years back. He just cannot stay healthy for whatever reason.
I feel the same way. He was my pick when I bought a Space City jersey last year. Love his passion on the field and his heart for animals/pet care off the field. He could never pitch another ball as an Astro and he will always have legendary status for what he did to the Jankees.

It just doesn't bode well that he is obviously injury prone.
The Porkchop Express
AG
New thread, same countdown, TWO days until Opening Day gets us down to #2.

Did you know the Colt 45s and Astros had a Hall of Famer on the team in 1964-1965? Tis true, Nellie Fox, legendary Chicago White Sox infielder, played here at the end of his career. Joe Morgan said he tried to emulate Fox's style as they were both small guys. Fox le the AL in singles 8 years in a row in his prime, check out this hit total from 1951-1959: 189, 192, 178, 201, 198, 196, 196, 187, 191. All that and he didn't get to 3,000 hits (2,663). He played 133 games for the 45s in 1964, hitting .265 and leading the NL with 20 sacrifice hits.

Gerald Young wore the number next, from 1987-1992 on and off. Why didn't he keep being awesome? The world will never know. G-Man came up in 1987 and was just fantastic in half a season - .321 average, .380 OBP, 26 steals. In 1988, he started 149 games and stole 65 bases but his average dropped to .257. In 1989, that average dropped to .233, he stole only 34 bases and got caught 25 times. He was never a starter again, appearing mostly as a pinch runner and defensive replacement.

A few guys wore #2 for a year or two, but in 2004 it found a home on the back of Chris Burke. A three-time All-American at Tennessee, he hit .435 as a junior with 20 HR and 49 stolen bases. The Astros took him with the #10 pick in the first round of the 2001 draft. In 2004 he tore it up in AAA, hitting .315 with 16 HR, 52 RBI and 37 steals. He got called up but was really bad in a small sample, 1 for 17 (.059). In 2005 he came up after about a month in the minors and saw a lot of time in left field, even though he was a natural middle infielder, but he wasn't displacing Biggio or Adam Everett. He hit .248 in 318 at bats with 19 doubles and 5 HR, and stole 11 bases.

When the Astros faced the Braves in the 2005 NLDS, he didn't play in Game 1, but had a pinch-hit single in Game 2. He was a defensive replacement in Game 3 as the Astros took a 2-1 series lead. Game 4 of the NLDS is all-time great Astro win, of course. The team trailed the Braves 5-0 after 4-1/2 innings, and was down 6-1 with 6 outs to go. Lance Berkman hit a grand slam off Kyle Farnsworth in the 8th to make it 6-5, who somehow stayed in the game in order to give up a game-tying home run to Brad Ausmus in the bottom of the ninth.
In a move that would have earned Dusty Baker's approval, Phil Garner pinch ran Buke for Lance Berkman with two outs in the bottom of the 10th. The Braves walked Morgan Ensberg intentionally and the One-Armed Man, ,Jeff Bagwell, flied out to end the inning. Since Bagwell could no longer throw the ball, that led to Lidge coming in to pitch, Jose Vizcaino moving from shortstop to 1B, Eric Bruntlett moving from CF to SS, and Burke moving to CF.
In the 13th, Burke moved to left, Bruntlett went back to center, Vizcaino moved to shortstop again, Dan Wheeler replaced Luke Scott, who had been in left, Raul Chavez came in for Ausmus, and Ausmus moved to first. Ausmus had not played 1B in game since a 2-inning stint with the Tigers in 2000, and had played the position for a total of 3 innings as a pro.
Burke flew out in the 13th and walked in the 15th. Roger Clemens led off the bottom of the 18th by striking out, leading to Burke doing this:

He went on to hit .300 against the Cardinals in the NLCS with yet another homer. That led to the Astros trying to make him happen in the regular season probably a lot longer than they should have. He had a solid 2006, hitting .276 with 11 SB and 23 doubles, but fell off from there.

In 2016, #2 found its permanent home, as you can't imagine anyone else wearing it after Alex Bregman. When he was a junior in high school, Bregs hit .678 with 19 HR. At LSU he was a two-time All-American, and the Astros took him in the second pick of the first round of the 2015

He slayed at every level of the minors and got the call-up to the majors on July 25, 2016, making his debut against the Yankees. He was 0 for 17 before getting a hit on July 31, and hit his first career HR at Minute Maid on August 16.

He played 49 games, hit .265 with a .478 slugging percentage. In 2017, the job was his to lose in spring training, and he never let anyone haer it, hitting .284 on the year with 39 2B, 19 HR, 71 RBI and 17 steals. His first grand slam came at Yankee Stadium during a 10-7 win.
He became a force to be reckoned with in the 2017 post-season with a game-tying home run off Chris Sale in the 8th inning of Game 4 of the ALDS and a gorgeous play on defense in Game 7 of the ALCS, gunning down Greg Bird at home.

In the World Series, he was the author of what remains my favorite play in Astros history, the walk-off against the Dodgers in Game 5. I love the crowd cheering, not quite sure it believes we're going to win, and then exploding in the loudest roar of all time.

Bregman was unreal in 2018 and 2019. In 2018, he led the league with 51 doubles, hit 31 HR, drove in 103, scored 105, and hit .286 with a .926 OPS. he was even better in 2019: 122 runs scored, 41 HR, 112 RBI, 119 walks to lead the league and a .296/.423/.592 slash for a 1.015 OPS. All-Star both years, and the All-Star MVP in 2018, the first Astros to ever win the award. He is the first primarily 3B to have a season with 50 doubles and 30 HR in major league history.

MVP runner up in 2019. He hit .556 with an OPS of 2.048 vs the Indians in the 2018 ALDS and .353 with a 1.097 OPS vs. Tampa in the 2019 ALDS. He's played in 86 post-season games and has hit 15 HR with 47 RBi. In six ALDS series, he's hitting .356 with a 1.109 OPS.

Injuries and perhaps a bruised ego saw Bregs fall back in 2020 and 2021, but about two months into 2022, he found his old form and took off, finishing with 93 runs scored, 38 2B, 23 HR, and 93 RBI. He is one of the most patient hitters in the league, walking 87 times and striking out 77 times last year.

And in 2020, the rich got richer when he married Reagan.

Life is better with a beagle
JohnnyTexAg1995

Predicted Record:102-60
Team MVP: Yordon
Team Cy Young:Javier
Rookie of the Year: Hunter

Surprise Player of the Year: Yanier
  • Bullpen Continues dominance
  • Tucker hits .350 without the shift

• Dusty Continues to platoon Chaz
  • Back half of starting rotation struggles early
AustinCountyAg
Interesting to see so many of yall predict over 100 wins. I think with less games against the AL west it will be tougher for them to break 100, or really most any team for that matter.
Last Page
Page 2 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.