***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,530,872 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Prosperdick
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
JDUB08AG said:

Ideally we win tonight and Rangers lose. Keeps massive pressure on the Rangers, we maintain our lead over Seattle, and we get JV on the mound either Saturday or Sunday. I'm not ready to concede the division yet.
Yeah I don't get the rooting for the rangers bit at all because once they clinch I guarantee you they play the taxi squad and Seattle will easily win the remaining games. We need texas to continue to play their starters for as long as possible and obviously we need to win.

Tonight is about as must win as you can get because even if texas wins they don't clinch the division and will still need to play their starters. If we lose and Texas wins tonight, the division is clinched for them and they sit everyone and our chances of us making the playoffs go way down because Seattle will almost certainly win the last 2 games.
Farmer1906
AG
Holy shots fired

texasaggie2015
AG
Dana confirming that I know stuff.

I saw speculation on here that the front office intervened the last couple days. That's not the case.
JDUB08AG
AG
Crane is Dusty's boss. Put your ****ing foot down. Period.
Farmer1906
AG

Prosperdick
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Holy shots fired

If we miss the playoffs or get bounced early the epitaph for the season will be:
But Dusty makes the lineups.
Frok
AG
Michael Brantley is Jake Taylor from Major League. It's his last run, give your body all it can handle.

texasaggie2015
AG
JDUB08AG said:

Crane is Dusty's boss. Put your ****ing foot down. Period.
You can't break a contract.
Marvin
AG
Dana Brown is distancing himself from Dusty's stink faster than a fat boy at a bean eating contest.

Wow, that is strong language from a GM.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
AggieDub04
AG
If we lose and the Rangers lose tonight we still control our own destiny. We would have 73 losses and the Rangers would have 71. If we win the last two then one of two things happens:
Rangers win a game - this puts Seattle at 74 losses to our 73, we get in
Rangers do not win a game - three way tie, Seattle wins the division and we win the wild card over the Rangers
OKCAg2002
AG
Dusty, you choose. Either pencil in the "lineup of death," or meet your own demise.
1836er
AG
Wow... that's as big a shot as you're going to see a GM take against his manager in public.

He must have been working behind the scenes for a while now to get Dusty to put the better hitters in the lineup more often... and the frustration has finally spilled over the breaking point.

Like 2015 has said I would be very, very surprised if he is back next year even if we win the whole thing again.
TarponChaser
Farmer1906 said:

Holy shots fired

Feels like Billy Bean in "Moneyball" when he's trying to get Art Howe to make the lineups as intended when he built the roster.

The movie version anyway.

Regardless of the outcome this year, Dusty has to go. Frankly, I've been sort of MIA the last 6 weeks or so because I just can't stomach seeing how Dusty has mismanaged this team. 90% of the managers in the league would have had the division clinched a month ago but Dusty keeps ****ing things up.
OKCAg2002
AG
Translation: "Hey dumbass! Play Brantley, Chas, and Diaz tonight."
R-Dog
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Worst case is we lose and rangers lose. That means we no longer control our destiny. We'd need help from Arlington to make the postseason.

I don't believe this is entirely true. If this happens, we are tied with SEA, 2 games back. If we were to then win Saturday and Sunday, then either the Mariners finish the sweep and we have a 3 way tie which means SEA wins the division, HOU gets the wildcard and TEX is out. That's what MLB.com says is the result of a 3 way tie.

Or SEA doesn't complete the sweep and we would finish ahead of them with wins Saturday and Sunday.

So I think we still control our own.

4 way tie...TEX, HOU, TOR, SEA....we're in
3 way tie...TEX, HOU, SEA...we're in
3 way tie...HOU, TOR, SEA...we're out

But the only way I think #3 can happen mathematically is for us to lose 2 of 3.

https://www.mlb.com/news/2023-mlb-postseason-three-team-and-four-team-tiebreaker-scenarios?partnerID=mlbapp-android_article-share
texasaggie2015
AG
I know some on here will be mad at me for not spilling every single detail, but based off some of the things I've heard that are going on in the clubhouse, I would be genuinely stunned if he's back next year. I don't make guarantees, but I would be absolutely stunned.

I'll be happy to share some specifics after this season is over. I just don't feel comfortable spilling them on a public message board in the middle of a postseason race.
Mathguy64
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Holy shots fired

He all but publicly threatened Dusty. That's close to saying "Dusty isn't doing what we need to do to win".
Beat40
Marvin said:

Dana Brown is distancing himself from Dusty's stink faster than a fat boy at a bean eating contest.

To be fair, I feel like he's been doing it since he sent Cesar down to try to force Diaz in the line-up.

The rift is unrepairable.
Beat40
texasaggie2015 said:

I know some on here will be mad at me for not spilling every single detail, but based off some of the things I've heard that are going on in the clubhouse, I would be genuinely stunned if he's back next year. I don't make guarantees, but I would be absolutely stunned.

I'll be happy to share some specifics after this season is over. I just don't feel comfortable spilling them on a public message board in the middle of a postseason race.
Oh, I think it's all but guaranteed he's not back next year. Dana seems to be Crane's guy.
RED AG 98
AG
I'm guessing Dusty is not a fan of any of this happening in public; and being the ever stubborn, arrogant, set in his ways old dog, will not learn this new trick. He'll dig his heels even further and out of spite respond with the best AAAA lineup he can produce.
AustinCountyAg
so basically Dusty is going to give everyone the middle finger tonight and start Meyers, Dubon, and Maldy tonight?

ETA:lol Red Ag, you beat me to the punch
texasaggie2015
AG
Beat40 said:

Marvin said:

To be fair, I feel like he's been doing it since he sent Cesar down to try to force Diaz in the line-up.

The rift is unrepairable.
Correct.
TarponChaser
texasaggie2015 said:

Regardless of how it turns out I'd love to get the "inside baseball" postmortem when the season is over.
AustinCountyAg
I know it is beating a dead horse at this point but both Chaz and Diaz are top 60 in the league in xwOBA, with chaz being #60 and Diaz being #31. It is absolute foolishness how they aren't in the lineup every ****ing night. There is not a single justifiable excuse in the world why they haven't been starting everyday this season.

If this team misses the playoffs I hope they go scorched earth with the media and drag Dusty down the crapper where he belongs.
Farmer1906
AG
Who do the Twins want to face? Not us!

Quote:

Aaron Gleeman: There are two basic ways I tend to view this question.

One is big picture, where I think the Twins' roster strengths right-handed pitching and left-handed hitting mean they'd be better off playing the team with the most right-handed hitters and pitchers. In other words, they should want to avoid frontline left-handed starters and scary left-handed sluggers.

Beyond that, I tend to focus on star power. Depth is vital in a six-month grind of a season, but what helps a team win over the course of 162 games doesn't necessarily help them win a three-game series. For that, it's more about how intimidating a team's top of the rotation, back end of the bullpen and middle of the lineup look.

And here's the thing: I think the Astros are the worst-case scenario on both of those fronts. Big picture, they have a great lefty starter in Framber Valdez and two of the league's elite lefty bats in Yordan Alvarez and Kyle Tucker. Toss in other (righty) stars like Justin Verlander, Jose Altuve and Alex Bregman, and … well, I'd want nothing to do with the defending World Series champs regardless of how mediocre they've been and how banged up they appear.

Plus, we've already seen a best-of-three series at Target Field against a seemingly vulnerable Astros team before. (It didn't go well for the Twins.)

My answer is "not the Astros." Beyond that, I'm open to arguments.

https://theathletic.com/4911107/2023/09/28/twins-wild-card-opponent-astros/
FrioAg 00
AG
Tonight I'm feeling "go for it", so I'm pulling for the Astros (duh) and the Mariners.

It's if we lose, however, that we all become huge Rangers fan for a couple days.
Yordaddy
AG
In enemy territory today after getting back from an Alaskan cruise. If I had planned a bit better would have gone to the game tonight. Looks like a cool ballpark
AgLA06
AG
Farmer1906 said:

75AG said:

Farmer1906 said:

Go Rangers, then.
huh?

You need to root for the Rangers
Yah, I can't do that.
W
AG
Dana is absolutely separating himself from Dusty

and probably the entire coaching staff too
Farmer1906
AG
What makes you say the entire coaching staff?
texasaggie2015
AG
W said:

Dana is absolutely separating himself from Dusty

and probably the entire coaching staff too
AgLA06
AG
Farmer1906 said:

What makes you say the entire coaching staff?
Because regardless if those guys agree with what Dusty is doing or not, they're tainted with how bad this has been. It sucks for any of the assistants that would love a shot, but that ship has probably sailed at this point.
W
AG
yes, it's the Dusty stink

the fear that too much of Dusty's style and approach has been absorbed by the rest of the coaches
texasaggie2015
AG
Yeah.... no.

Espada will very likely get an interview for the managerial position. Cintron likely will too. These guys have absolutely zero part in the decisions Dusty makes.

Do y'all really think Jim Crane and Dana Brown aren't smart enough to remember the roles each coach has?
aggie813
I disagree, how do you think bench coaches etc.. get interviews or are sought after by GMs of other teams? Regardless of who the skipper is, baseball personnel know how certain people are.
First Page Last Page
Page 2558 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.