***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,523,213 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Harry Dunne said:

In a vacuum, would you prefer to have to spend time with an Aggie who is an avid Rangers fan or a longhorn who is an avid Astros fan?
Longhorn, not even close.
The Milkman
AG
Great new feature on MLB tv. It's like red zone for baseball. But also split screen
Harry Dunne
Same here. Glad I'm not the only one.
Farmer1906
AG
Eso si, Que es said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

splits don't support that. Furthermore, vs the 4 seam fast ball Meyers has a walk/k of 0.42 (2021) and 0.17(2022) while Chazz has a walk/k of 0.39 (2021) and 0.82 (2022).

Jake might go off tonight, stats still don't support he is an offensive upgrade over Chaz and the disrespect of sitting Chaz next to Stanek in some kind of weird Dusty time out penalty box.

I'll add to this.

2021 Chas wasn't great vs 4 seam and Jake was great in a smaller sample. 2022 came around and Chas improved greatly and kept a semi-large sample. Jake kept a smaller sample and sucked.

Dusty can play who he wants to play. Its his job. When he gives his rationale, it worries me at times.
Farmer1906
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Eso si, Que es said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

splits don't support that. Furthermore, vs the 4 seam fast ball Meyers has a walk/k of 0.42 (2021) and 0.17(2022) while Chazz has a walk/k of 0.39 (2021) and 0.82 (2022).

Jake might go off tonight, stats still don't support he is an offensive upgrade over Chaz and the disrespect of sitting Chaz next to Stanek in some kind of weird Dusty time out penalty box.

I'll add to this.

2021 Chas wasn't great vs 4 seam and Jake was great in a smaller sample. 2022 came around and Chas improved greatly and kept a semi-large sample. Jake kept a smaller sample and sucked.

Dusty can play who he wants to play. Its his job. When he gives his rationale, it worries me at times.
I'll take it a step further.

Chas was 2nd to Yordan in hitting the 4 seamer.

Eso si, Que es
Man, we are in midseason form on Dusty bashing, TexAgs doesn't need a spring training to be ready for opening day!

unfortunately, Dusty is also in midseason form on lineups.
Harry Dunne
I'm not going to complain about Dusty this season. I think he's earned that much. If anything he and AJ have proven to me that being the world's best or worst tactician doesn't make that much of a difference in a manager either way.
Ag_07
AG
Harry Dunne said:

I'm not going to complain about Dusty this season.

Bookmarked
Farmer1906
AG
Joey is still getting the shift.

EastCoastAgNc
AG
Eso si, Que es
watching rangers is horrible.

I can't articulate how bad watching the rangers is with Manfred joining the booth for an inning. Atleast the Phillies are smacking around the rangers new shiny toy.
Farmer1906
AG
I get it, but I don't like it. I kind of wish the ump would give a little bit of leeway here with 2 strikes. I am pro pitch clock, but if this happens in the key moment in the postseason, I am not going to be happy at all (unless it benefits us).

Ag_07
AG
These TV broadcasts have got to start showing the pitch clock for viewers somewhere
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

These TV broadcasts have got to start showing the pitch clock for viewers somewhere
They do. Its the red clock above the count.

Other broadcasts are doing it differently.
Farmer1906
AG

105+

16 pitches at 101 or higher.

Holy ****!
Ag_07
AG
It's all horrible

The cavernous stadium, the ugly carpet, Brett Dolan, Rob Manfred

And on the way out Dolan thanks Manfred for what's he's doing for the game of baseball. Seriously...Barf
PhatMack19
AG
Braves game earlier- Acuna on 1st with lefty pitcher. Big lead, lefty picks twice so he's done. Acuna huge lead since the pitcher can't do anything and steals 2nd

Can the runner just start halfway? This is stupid
Farmer1906
AG
PhatMack19 said:

Braves game earlier- Acuna on 1st with lefty pitcher. Big lead, lefty picks twice so he's done. Acuna huge lead since the pitcher can't do anything and steals 2nd

Can the runner just start halfway? This is stupid
He could pick him off.
Red Five
AG
Farmer1906 said:

105+

Holy ****!
105 mph knuckle ball, apparently.
gougler08
AG
McCutchen still plays in the MLB?

And Smith-Njigba, related to the Ohio St WR?
The Milkman
AG
It's in different spots on different score bugs, but it's there or everybody's I believe. I've been watching all the games so far
gougler08
AG
Also, the Rangers have a retractable roof and kept it open...and now it's raining. What idiots
Ag_07
AG
No. You can pickoff a 3rd time but if you have to get him out or it's a ball
redline248
AG
Harry Dunne said:

would you prefer to have to spend time with an Aggie who is an avid Rangers fan or a longhorn who is an avid Astros fan?
I have a good friend who falls in the 1st category. I don't want to make friends with a sip
redline248
AG
I knew you would beat me to it, but as soon as I got home from school pick up and read the "Jake vs Cease fastball" tripe I hopped on statcast so fast...
MarathonAg12
How much are y'all putting down for the Astros to win it all in 2023?

$100, 1k?, 10k??
Farmer1906
AG
Farmer1906 said:

105+

Holy ****!
And now its gone. Only showing 101 for game pitch #91.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/gamefeed?date=3/30/2023&gamePk=718773&chartType=pitch&legendType=pitchName&playerType=pitcher&inning=&count=&pitchHand=&batSide=&descFilter=&ptFilter=&resultFilter=&hf=pitchVelocity&sportId=1#718773
Eso si, Que es
Farmer1906 said:

I get it, but I don't like it. I kind of wish the ump would give a little bit of leeway here with 2 strikes. I am pro pitch clock, but if this happens in the key moment in the postseason, I am not going to be happy at all (unless it benefits us).

he called it at 6 seconds. I think I will be most frustrated if they are not consistent and it become arbitrary. Maybe we will see a change to 20 second clock anytime someone has 2 strikes to avoid the backwards K?

Related question: How are pitches counted for the pitchers? I am assuming I will see the following on the scoreboard for pitch count: 6 strikes 4 balls 8 total pitches (the total won't align if there are clock violations?) Or will the official scoring only include pitches thrown (like an intentional walk?)
The Porkchop Express
AG
Rangers in true mid-season format on the mound and at the plate!
wangus12
AG
Ag_07 said:

It's all horrible

And on the way out Dolan thanks Manfred for what's he's doing for the game of baseball. Seriously...Barf

The only good thing about that place is the roof because now my wife will go to Astros games there in the summer
Wabs
AG
Degrom has given up 3 doubles, 2 triples, 1 HR and 4 runs through 3.1 IP.
The Porkchop Express
AG
I'm going to go ahead and trademark the triple threat of Meyers, Maldonado and Mauricio as MeMaMa to strike fear into the hearts of opposing pitchers
Eso si, Que es
Wabs said:

yanked at 3.2 with 4 runs.
Farmer1906
AG
Eso si, Que es said:

Wabs said:

yanked at 3.2 with 4 runs.
One of the worst games of his career, apparently.

Prosperdick
AG
Ag_07 said:

It's all horrible

Plus they have like one small monitor located in weird spots around the concourse and not nearly enough of them so you can't keep track of the game while you get concessions (which is ever more critical now with the up tempo).

It's comical how poorly they designed it...first they tried to copy us from the way it looks on the inside but made it look like a horse barn on the outside. Then they REALLY did copy us (and by us I mean 1970's Astrodome) with that awful turf that somehow looks even worse than the Astrodome's.

It was such an easy layup for them...build the stadium in downtown Dallas, put in real grass, have tons of tech in the concourse areas (hell, there are still plenty of tech companies in the area) and boom, revitalize downtown and make it the place to be in the summer.

Such idiots but if any fanbase deserves it, it's them.
First Page Last Page
Page 17 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.