***** NORTHERN EXPOSURE: THE 2023 JOEY GALLO APPRECIATION THREAD *****

38,608 Views | 415 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by RED AG 98
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've said it before, he's a true master of his craft
Mr.Ackar07
bearkatag15 said:

I'm not a regular on this thread but saw this on twitter and knew it needed to be on here

The fact that that would be a record when you consider how bad Chris Davis was at the end of his contract is astounding.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
In the latest outrage, Donkey was scratched from last night's game by Rockhead due to, get this, pink-eye.

Uh, Rockhead? Your lead strikeout guy having vision problems is a feature, not a bug!

Elsewhere in the wide world of strikeouts, Kyle Schwarber of the Phillies has finally claimed the season lead at 128 after a long chase of Teoscar Hernandez (127). Not since the 2016 season of the great Chris "Not Khris" Davis has a batter repeated as the Major League strikeout king, but it looks like Schwarber could be the one.

In third is Ryan McMahon of the Rockies with 123, the tragically injured Jarred Kelenic of the Mariners at 118, and a trio of whiffers one back at 117 (Josh Jung of Texas, Luis Robert, Jr. from the Chicago White Socks, and Eugenio Suarez of Seattle).
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Dies Irae
The contacts did not come with explicit instructions, he's had them in 247 since the Allstar break
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Joey's pink eye is keeping him on the bench tonight.

I don't know how they expect fans to show up to watch a lineup whose "big star" is Edouard Julien. That little French loser has appeared in 50 games and only struck out 55 times. Pathetic.

Donkey has appeared in 828 Major League games and struck out 1,153 times.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
DP
YokelRidesAgain
AG
I'm not sure what in the Wide, Wide World of Sports is going on here, but the following things happened today:

1) King Donkey was inserted into the game in extras at, get this, ghost runner.

2) He subsequently scored on a sacrifice fly to right, which is less horrifying than actually hitting a sac fly, but still terrible.

3) Instead of striking out, our hero ended the 11th inning by popping out on a bunt. After the game, Rockhead insinuated that the bunt sign was NOT on and that Donkey was probably bunting because he was actually, literally unable to see.

This situation has enormous potential. A Blind Donkey is like Super Mario finding a fire flower. He better be leading off tomorrow.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Donkey is in tonight's lineup. Rumor has it that the Twins have acquired a remarkable seeing eye dog, Whiffer, who will lead Donkey to the plate and bark once for a fastball, twice for a breaking ball.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
For the first time since 2019, King Donkey is in center field, which is the perfect place for a blind player with MLB 36th percentile sprint speed.

In honor of this momentous occasion, a tune:

Centerfield (Joey's version)
(To the tune of John Fogerty's "Centerfield")

Well, I scratched my eyes and washed my hands
This virus cannot stay!
There's a blur again, new contacts on my face
A' roundin third, I'm headed for home
A pink eyed handsome man
Don't think you understand, how ill I feel!

Put me in Coach, not too sick to play, today!
Put me in Coach, the pus went away, hey!
Look at me, I can't see, centerfield!

YokelRidesAgain
AG
Joey somehow worked a full count despite having to be led to the plate by the bat boy, but fortunately he was able to strike out looking.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
TEOSCAR HERNANDEZ RECLAIMS A SHARE OF THE MLB STRIKEOUT LEAD WITH K NUMBER ONE THIRTY ONE!!!

He isn't going quietly, folks!
Dies Irae
YokelRidesAgain said:

Joey somehow worked a full count despite having to be led to the plate by the bat boy, but fortunately he was able to strike out looking.

They need to add an inverted K, for "struck out, not looking"
redline248
AG
Wow, what a treat you have. Gallo and Teoscar matching up like two heavyweights
YokelRidesAgain
AG
redline248 said:

Wow, what a treat you have. Gallo and Teoscar matching up like two heavyweights

The showdown ended 2-2. Teoscar had a chance to strike out in the top of the 10th with two outs, facing Twins reliever Jorge Lopez, who can't find the plate without GPS and pitches like Donkey bats: closed eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

Disappointingly, he hit a useless groundout.

After a bunt horrifyingly advanced the ghost runner to 3rd base, Baldelli did the right thing, for once, and pulled Joey from the game, shielding him from the potential trauma of a game winning sacrifice fly.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Teoscar pulls back into a tie for first with #132!

ETA: Whose house? DONKEY'S HOUSE! Hernandez-Gallo 1-1

ETA #2: DONKEY LEADS TEOSCAR 2-1!!!

ETA #3: Teoscar with the high leverage, 2 out K swinging to bring us back to even!
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Rockhead again has to pull Joey to prevent a sac fly.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
With less than 6 hours to go until the trade deadline, it's time for another look at baseball's strikeout leaders! Trade rumors are swirling around Major League leader Teoscar Hernandez (143), with some reports linking him to the New York Yankees. They clearly need another right handed batter who strikes out constantly!

In second is Phillies superstar Kyle Schwarber with 140, then Eugenio Suarez, who has fallen well back at 130. Ryan McMahon of Colorado and Josh Jung of the Rangers round out the top 5 with 129.

Our hero, Joey "King Donkey" Gallo, sits at a disappointing 114, good for only 16th place. His season has been foiled by two trips to the IL and the nefarious machinations of Rockhead Baldelli, who keeps burying Joey at 8th or 9th in the lineup (if he allows him to play at all) and pulling him after 2 or 3 at bats to "play the matchups".

As much as it would break my heart to miss out on any of Donkey's remaining 28 home starts, it is time for the Twins management to do what is best for the game of baseball and move Donkey to a team where he would be an every day starter.

I refer, of course, to the Oakland Zombie Athletics, who would pencil in Joey at clean-up for the rest of the year. A minor sticking point is that the Zombie As do not have any players that the "first place" Twins, or any other team, would want. Word on the street is that the Twins braintrust is eyeing a shiny new batting cage, but the Zombie As are balking at the Twins' demand to throw in a bag of baseballs.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
The baseballs must have been the sticking point. Donkey is batting 8th for the Twins tonight, barring a last minute shocker.
Dies Irae
YokelRidesAgain said:

The baseballs must have been the sticking point. Donkey is batting 8th for the Twins tonight, barring a last minute shocker.

2nd cleanup. Will do wonders for his LOB stats
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Dies Irae said:

It's official. The Donk is staying right where he is. Given the Twins' love for free swinging left-handed hitting outfielders, maybe they will resign him for next year.

It should be noted that King Donkey is playing first base tonight, as he was during his red hot April, when he hit .226 (that's like .485 for a regular baseball player).

I will, of course, be there at Target Field all weekend to record the Donk's ongoing pursuit of immortality.

Astros fans might want to avert their eyes tonight, as one strikeout will equal, and 2 strikeouts surpass, the mark in Donkey's long chase of former Astros great Ken Caminiti for #240 on the all-time list.
Dies Irae
YokelRidesAgain said:

Dies Irae said:

It's official. The Donk is staying right where he is. Given the Twins' love for free swinging left-handed hitting outfielders, maybe they will resign him for next year.

It should be noted that King Donkey is playing first base tonight, as he was during his red hot April, when he hit .226 (that's like .485 for a regular baseball player).

I will, of course, be there at Target Field all weekend to record the Donk's ongoing pursuit of immortality.

Astros fans might want to avert their eyes tonight, as one strikeout will equal, and 2 strikeouts surpass, the mark in Donkey's long chase of former Astros great Ken Caminiti for #240 on the all-time list.

Caminiti did his work with performance enhancing cocaine and strippers, should have an asterisk.
RogerFurlong
Y'all ever thought of just texting each other this info? Weird to have a thread this long with 3 posters.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
RogerFurlong said:

Y'all ever thought of just texting each other this info? Weird to have a thread this long with 3 posters.
Thank you for joining us!

Please send us your jersey size, and let us know if you want to pay the extra $100 for Joey's autograph!
YokelRidesAgain
AG
I think Rockhead is reading this thread! For the third time in the past three weeks, Joey is pulled from the game while in danger of hitting a sacrifice fly!

Good Rockhead.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Apparently it is Harry Potter Night at Target Field, and King Donkey identifies as a Hufflepuff.
Dies Irae
Whifflepuff
redline248
AG
Exactly
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Swingandamissingus!!

YokelRidesAgain
AG
Andanotherus!
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, we are witnessing HISTORY!

With this magnificent K swinging, his second of the night, Josephus Magnus Donkus Gallo raised his season average to an astounding 42 for 240 with 120 strikeouts, for a K percentage of .500!

He later added a third, leading the Twins to a 12-1 victory fueled, as always, by reverse imitation of Joey!

Dies Irae
Doesn't even look like he's using a bat anymore yokel, was an unfair advantage anyway
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Dies Irae said:

Doesn't even look like he's using a bat anymore yokel, was an unfair advantage anyway
Pitcher hit him with an Expelliarmus curse he learned last night. Damned witchcraft.
sburg2007
Nothing to add to this thread other than the privilege I had seeing it in person back in June.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
After riding the bench for 2 days against left handed pitching, Joey Gallo should be the starting 1st baseman for the Twins for the foreseeable future, because literally every other first base option on the 40 man roster is injured he is pretty awesome!!
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Unsettling results from the city of Brotherly Love this evening, where Joey Gallo has gone 2 for 2 in 3 plate appearances with a walk, a single and an opposite field home run.

The Donk is once again tied for the team lead in home runs (along with, of course, a commanding lead in strikeouts).

Let's just hope that this is the kind of rare off day to which even the greatest of performers are occasionally susceptible.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.