***Official Houston Astros 2022-23 Offseason Thread***

1,031,766 Views | 12340 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Beat40
BMX Bandit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Farmer1906 said:

Just FYI, Max is getting 43.3 per.

$43.3mm from the Mets

Another $15mm from the Nationals
Mathguy64
AG
Ag_07 said:

I wouldn't pay JV anywhere near $45mm per.

He's great and all but that too much.
I wouldnt either. But its not my money and we dont know what he returns in merchandising either.
BeaumontAg05
AG
As much as it hurts the heart to let him walk, as an organization we are better off letting him go and using that money for a DH and/or 1B.
FrioAg 00
AG
Exactly. For $45m per, we could improve our team a lot more with other moves
Mathguy64
AG
BeaumontAg05 said:

As much as it hurts the heart to let him walk, as an organization we are better off letting him go and using that money for a DH and/or 1B.
The problem with that is we dont know what Crane's max payroll is. Not knowing that its impossible to say we should spend that money elsewhere.
BMX Bandit
i don't think JV gets over 40mm per. 35 range more likely
Farmer1906
AG
Let's assume JV is kept and we shop Urquidy. Would Iam Happ make some sense? He only has one year left. He fills the LF need and can play IF. Maybe 2 years of Tyler O'Neil? Not much flexibility, but answers the LF hole.
BMX Bandit
if urquidy gets dealt, Bryan Reynolds is who they should go for.

garcia may be more likely to go based on his having 1 more year of team control
Ag_07
AG
What LF hole?

HarryRocket
I would like to sign correa to a deal where he rotates, 2b, SS and 3rd and DH. Hedge against injuries.

Like a premier long term Diaz. Would he be open to ma 5 year deal now?
Ok, ok, I know that would never happen but I wouldn't hate it.
Farmer1906
AG
Mathguy64 said:

BeaumontAg05 said:

The problem with that is we dont know what Crane's max payroll is. Not knowing that its impossible to say we should spend that money elsewhere.
We don't, but we do know where it's been.

Payroll per Baseball Cube
2017 - 127 M - 17th (top 3, 178-187)
2018 - 159 M - 11th (186-235)
2019 - 160 M - 8th (208-222)
2020 - 212 M - 2nd (189-214)
2021 - 176 M - 7th (186-241)
2022 - 171 M - 10th (240-285)

For 2022 the top teams in payroll were LAD, NYM, NYY, PHI, SDP, BOS, CHW, LAA, ATL, HOU, TOR, STL, SFG, CHC, COL.

All the top 15 are probably looking to spend or at worst maintain. Jim has shown he's willing to pay to win as well. He's consistently been around top 10. I think it's safe to expect 175-195 M to stay in line with where we've been. Will all of Spotrac's estimates, we have 40-60 M to spend. If we blow 40 M on JV, we might be bargain bin shopping for the rest of the roster.
Farmer1906
AG
BMX Bandit said:

if urquidy gets dealt, Bryan Reynolds is who they should go for.

garcia may be more likely to go based on his having 1 more year of team control
Pitt is going to want way more than Urquidy or Garcia.
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

What LF hole?

His value is his bat. His hands and knees are damaged goods. I don't want to shorten his prime or increase the likelihood of an injury by playing him in LF 100+ times a year. 50x plus the postseason was plenty this year.
lunchbox
HarryRocket said:

I would like to sign correa to a deal where he rotates, 2b, SS and 3rd and DH. Hedge against injuries.
In my dreams, Correa has been working out at CF all off-season...
Farmer1906
AG
Hmmmm…. That's interesting.

The Porkchop Express
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Hmmmm…. That's interesting.

He also makes sense if you want a ****tier option.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
BeaumontAg05
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Mathguy64 said:

BeaumontAg05 said:

We don't, but we do know where it's been.

Payroll per Baseball Cube
2017 - 127 M - 17th (top 3, 178-187)
2018 - 159 M - 11th (186-235)
2019 - 160 M - 8th (208-222)
2020 - 212 M - 2nd (189-214)
2021 - 176 M - 7th (186-241)
2022 - 171 M - 10th (240-285)

For 2022 the top teams in payroll were LAD, NYM, NYY, PHI, SDP, BOS, CHW, LAA, ATL, HOU, TOR, STL, SFG, CHC, COL.

All the top 15 are probably looking to spend or at worst maintain. Jim has shown he's willing to pay to win as well. He's consistently been around top 10. I think it's safe to expect 175-195 M to stay in line with where we've been. Will all of Spotrac's estimates, we have 40-60 M to spend. If we blow 40 M on JV, we might be bargain bin shopping for the rest of the roster.

This is what I was referring to. Unless Crane is willing to go over the threshhold and pay the tax, signing JV could lead us to replacements consisting of ji man Choi and Niko goodrum.
BMX Bandit
have to admit, watching him in a full split for every catch is entertaining.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
I know we are in need of impactful position player acquisitions, but let's look at the moves made by James Click four non pitchers so far in free agency:

Signed Robel Garcia
Signed Stephen Souza
Signed Niko Goodrum

Unless he has a sudden change of heart (or someone else is in charge), don't get your hopes up.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
i think he made the move on Baez too

On the flip side - the Montero/Gravemen deal was pretty legit. We gave up Smith and Toro, right?
Ag_07
AG
Up until now we haven't needed replacements as far as position players via FA.
Deluxe
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

He also makes sense if you want a ****tier option.
Expressing interest in Choi could be another reason why Click is in the doghouse
Farmer1906
AG
Choi is statically similar (overall value, not how they do it) to Bell and Rizzo. A step-down? Maybe a small one, but he's still a major upgrade from 2022 Yuli.

wRC+ over the last 4 seasons
Choi: 122, 104, 117, 115 - 116 Med
Yuli: 131, 76, 132, 85 - 108 Med
Bell: 135, 76, 119, 123 - 121 Med
Rizzo: 140, 103, 113, 132 - 123 Med

I don't think NY lets Rizzo go anywhere. Bell might command a 3-year deal. Maybe Click isn't willing to give it if it interferes with paying Bregman and Altuve in 2024. Choi would only be a 1 year/4.5 M solution.
Ag_07
AG
He also signed Stanek, Neris, and extended Pressly.

Click is the main architect of the BP.
04.arch.ag
AG
JV is going to get close to 40 a year. I would suspect a 3/100-105. but it being a 2/80 with a player 25 option for year 3. lets him sign again if he continues this pace or maybe a slight decline from Cy Young status or if he falls a bit has the benefit of getting that 3rd year at a good price for him

Also Pena making some media tours could help steer the Astros away from this villain status. Pena is a likeable person, young and good looking and if he becomes the face of the franchise over the next couple years could put the past behind them. but maybe they relish being the bad guys. eff em all
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

I know we are in need of impactful position player acquisitions, but let's look at the moves made by James Click four non pitchers so far in free agency:

Signed Robel Garcia
Signed Stephen Souza
Signed Niko Goodrum

Unless he has a sudden change of heart (or someone else is in charge), don't get your hopes up.
He signed Castro, signed Brantley, picked up Yuli's option, extended Alvarez, traded for Vazquez/Mancini/Dubon. If we're only looking at position player moves, there hasn't been a giant need to get them.

The 3 you listed were all back-end of the roster guys, not meant to be impact players. Dusty has regularly not platooned guys correctly and not played them in their normal position. Some of these moves might have been just fine if Dusty implemented them correctly. But he didn't and Click looks like an idiot.
Farmer1906
AG

htxag09
AG
Farmer1906 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Signed Robel Garcia
Signed Stephen Souza
Signed Niko Goodrum

He signed Castro, signed Brantley, picked up Yuli's option, extended Alvarez, traded for Vazquez/Mancini/Dubon. If we're only looking at position player moves, there hasn't been a giant need to get them.

The 3 you listed were all back-end of the roster guys, not meant to be impact players. Dusty has regularly not platooned guys correctly and not played them in their normal position. Some of these moves might have been just fine if Dusty implemented them correctly. But he didn't and Click looks like an idiot.
Maybe it's just me but this seems silly.

I get it, Peepaw is an idiot. But the Astros aren't really a team that have back-end guys that aren't meant to be impact players. Our back end guys are guys we still want to contribute, especially considering how much rest we give our starters, and/or young guys we're trying to develop.

So what do you think using Niko correctly looks like? We may not have liked the moves made with Niko but Dusty put him in spots to see if he could contribute, he couldn't. So we moved on. Had we just let him ride the pine as a back-end guy not meant to contribute maybe we don't trade for Mancini or Vazquez and instead Niko is our backup first baseman option in the WS when Yuli goes down....
bearkatag15
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Signed Robel Garcia
Signed Stephen Souza
Signed Niko Goodrum

My god you are a miserable human being
RED AG 98
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Think we found one of Chandler's burner accounts, of which there are no doubt many

ETA: Not Farmer. I mean Ben @midzee4
bearkatag15
AG
I've seen a lot of Rome defenders today on twitter among Astros fans.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Bad Decision% is a stat? Is Correa at 100% for 2022?
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
bearkatag15
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Bad Decision% is a stat? Is Correa at 100% for 2022?

He has $35M reasons why he made a good choice for himself. It costs money to buy all Italian designer clothing
RED AG 98
AG
Wonder how many $8 blue subs Chandler personally splurged for
First Page Last Page
Page 20 of 353

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.