***Official Houston Astros 2022-23 Offseason Thread***

1,032,114 Views | 12340 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Beat40
OKCAg2002
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm under the impression that you can never have enough quality pitching. That is the difference in the postseason and always has been. This team won the World Series because of pitching depth and the bats had a big inning.

If you can do the deal, JV is with it.
BMX Bandit
cmk10 said:

would 2 years 35/year get him?
if year 2 is player option, it might.
MarathonAg12
Last order from MLB shop came in.

Hopefully the last one for a while haha
Miles Finch
Resign - voluntarily leave a job or other position.
Re-sign - engage (a sports player) to play for a team for a further period.

Sorry, for the interruption, proceed...
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I think 3 years $105MM gets him. I'd rather do a 2 years $80-85MM
k20dub
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

Hopefully the last one for a while 11 Months haha

MarathonAg12
k20dub said:

MarathonAg12 said:

Hopefully the last one for a while 11 Months haha

Yeah. Bank account needs to grow back.

Farmer1906
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

I think 3 years $105MM gets him. I'd rather do a 2 years $80-85MM

I don't think he gets 3 years. If he does, I hope it's not from us. That kind of money for a guy who will be 40, 41, & 42 would be insane to me.

I would structure the deal the same as the last one. 1 year guaranteed. Year 2 must vest.
Wabs
AG
What kind of contract is being reported for Judge? Something like 8/$300M?
OKCAg2002
AG
Whoever does that will be f-ed for a long time.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I don't disagree with any of that, I am just saying what I think he gets offered.
Chef Elko
AG
I don't want Verlander on a deal for more than two years especially with Framber, Javier and Brown making strides. Sure, he COULD be a Nolan Ryan or Charlie Morton, but this organization is too savvy to fall into that trap. Only a few guys are like that and Verlander has already talked about having to reform his approach from being a power pitcher to using more off speed.
MAROON
AG
don't own a hoodie, but I really like that design. Has anyone been to the store at Union Station? Do they have all this world series gear there?

Need to try it on as I'm always between sizes.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
Farmer1906
AG
Wabs said:

What kind of contract is being reported for Judge? Something like 8/$300M?

I've seen similar #s thrown around. He was rejecting 8/213 (more like 7/196) before the monster season. Add a year and increase the AAV from 28 to low/mid 30s. 8/264 is my guess.
Farmer1906
AG
Morton is younger and just had very so so years in 20 & 22.

Clemens might be a better comparison.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Since no one else has posted. Our favorite ladies were out displaying the trophy

Sher Thing
AG
Really hope Brantley is brought back. His bat will be very valuable with the no shift next year and everyone knows what he means to the locker room. They need to get that one done asap.
htxag09
AG
Sher Thing said:

Really hope Brantley is brought back. His bat will be very valuable with the no shift next year and everyone knows what he means to the locker room. They need to get that one done asap.

I feel like Brantley is a really good all sides of the field hitter. So I just don't think the shift ban will help him as much as others…..

For instance, just pulled numbers on baseball savant. In 2022, the defense was shifted against Brantley in 37.5% of his at bats, 44% in 2021.

Tucker was 90.9%. Yordan was 88.2%.
McInnis
AG
OKCAg2002 said:

I'm under the impression that you can never have enough quality pitching.
Me too, but I have to admit that the situation the Astros were in this year where a guy like Jose Urquidy cannot even get into one meaningful situation throughout the entire post-season is kind of ridiculous.
Farmer1906
AG
I'd probably take Conforto over Brantley. The ceiling is higher. I think Brantley will age nicely but he'll still age and be an above avg hitter, nothing more.
3B Paul 97
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

thann07 said:

JV officially opted out.
Not a surprise.

still think we resign him....

Didn't he need to opt out of the current contract to be able to sign a new one anyway?
07ag
AG
3B Paul 97 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

thann07 said:

JV officially opted out.
Not a surprise.

still think we resign him....

Didn't he need to opt out of the current contract to be able to sign a new one anyway?
i would think so
https://ts.la/eric59704
07ag
AG
https://www.galleryfurniture.com/astros-wia-23.html

if anyone needs a new mattress, now's your chance, mack is back at it
n_touch
McInnis said:

Quote:

Unless you are facing him in the WS, then you have a 1 in 8 chance of rocking him
Did you mean a 7 in 8 chance?
It was before coffee
Jet Black
I don't get the Verlander/Morton comparison at all. A first ballot hall of famer vs a dude that won't sniff it.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Miles Finch said:

He's an angry elf!
Jet Black
Brantley loves to get hurt. 4 years with Astros he's averaged 95 games a year.
Jet Black
TarponChaser
htxag09 said:

Sher Thing said:

I feel like Brantley is a really good all sides of the field hitter. So I just don't think the shift ban will help him as much as others…..

For instance, just pulled numbers on baseball savant. In 2022, the defense was shifted against Brantley in 37.5% of his at bats, 44% in 2021.

I haven't looked at Baseball Savant but that number for the shift vs. Yordan seems pretty nuts. I know he'll pull the ball a lot like most hitters but he's shown consistently that he'll go oppo without hesitation and when he's really on fire he drives a lot of baseballs middle/oppo. When he's going he'll shoot that line-drive base hit to LF without hesitation and when he does that pitchers will try to get too perfect and make mistakes that end up being destroyed to right-center.
07ag
AG
Jet Black said:

That number includes 2020,, if you extrapolate his 46 games over a 162 season, he's averaging 114 games per year for last 4 years

or throw out 2020 he's averaged 111 games per year
Farmer1906
AG
Jet Black said:

Is that a joke or did you forget about 2020? For the first 3 years Brantley was very healthy for a guy in his 30s with a history of injury.

2019 - 91.35% + postseason
2020 - 76.67% + postseason
2021 - 74.69% + postseason
2022 - 39.51% + no postseason
htxag09
AG
TarponChaser said:

htxag09 said:

Sher Thing said:

I haven't looked at Baseball Savant but that number for the shift vs. Yordan seems pretty nuts. I know he'll pull the ball a lot like most hitters but he's shown consistently that he'll go oppo without hesitation and when he's really on fire he drives a lot of baseballs middle/oppo. When he's going he'll shoot that line-drive base hit to LF without hesitation and when he does that pitchers will try to get too perfect and make mistakes that end up being destroyed to right-center.
But generally when Yordan goes oppo it's to the outfield, on a line drive or fly ball, no? Doesn't seem to ground it opposite field very much.
astros4545
AG
But he doesn't go oppo on the ground
So there is no reason to have two fielders on that side
KC_Ag14
AG
Miles Finch said:

Must be a South Pole elf (username).
Farmer1906
AG
TarponChaser said:

htxag09 said:

Sher Thing said:

The shift has more to do with the infield so those power drives to the LC gap or attacking the Crawford Boxes don't really factor into INF shift decisions.

Edit: I guess I am slow this morning.
First Page Last Page
Page 18 of 353

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.