***Official Houston Astros 2022-23 Offseason Thread***

1,025,650 Views | 12340 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Beat40
Buck Compton
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My Desired Opening Day Roster. This gives you room under the luxury tax to still make a move at the deadline if needed. Alternatively, you try to get Tucker to sign his extension instead of investing in Brantley/Benintendi.

Signing JV, Abreu/Rizzo, and an OF probably can't happen to stay below the tax. So you may look at just JV+1B or switch to Josh Bell + an OF.

Infield (7 spots)
C: Maldy, Diaz/Lee
1B: Rizzo / Abreu
2B: Altuve
SS: Pena
3B: Bregman
Util: Hensley

Outfield (6 spot)
LF: Alvarez, Brantley/Benintendi - this is a long shot, it's likely a rookie depth position
CF: McCormick, Meyers
RF: Tucker
Util: Dubon

Starting Pitchers (6 man rotation)
JV
Framber
LMJ
Brown
Javier
Urquidy / Garcia - the other needs to be traded for prospects/controllable talent or sent to the minors to stay in shape in case of injury

Relief Pitchers (7 spots)
Whichever of our young relievers in the minors performs best in ST
Martinez
Stanek
Maton
Neris
Abreu
Pressly
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
07ag
AG
someone needs to run a counter how many times they say 'in discussions'
https://ts.la/eric59704
Wabs
AG
We're not going to offer Rizzo what NY will. Next would be to try to get Abreu. If not him, I guess we see what Bell wants.
bearkatag15
AG
bearkatag15
AG
Ag_07
AG
Huh?

One free agent?
bearkatag15
AG
Ag_07 said:

Huh?

One free agent?

Misspoke maybe. Or he slipped up implying they aren't going to bring Brantley or Yuli back
Wabs
AG
A little more pop = Abreu
AustinCountyAg
click is gone. you can tell the way crane talks in the press conference. Him and click are not on the same page. at all
EastCoastAgNc
AG
bearkatag15
AG

Beau Holder
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Crane better have Mejdal lined up if this is the way he's going to take things.
Jet Black
Verlander needs to retire an Astro.
Jet Black
Jim Crane wins second World Series as owner.

3 days later.

WTF is Crane doing?!?!?!
bearkatag15
AG
An ultimate hypothetical question here.

JV re-signs for 3 total years. In those 3 years he gets 45 more wins putting him at 289 total career wins. His ERA has slid into the low 4s though his last season.

Do you give him 1 more year to go for 300 as an Astro? Assuming the window is still wide open and we are still winning the division and going deep in the playoffs.
Prosperdick
AG
bearkatag15 said:

JV resigns for 3 total years. In those 3 years he gets 45 more wins putting him at 289 total career wins. His ERA has slid into the low 4s though his last season.

Do you give him 1 more year to go for 300 as an Astro? Assuming the window is still wide open and we are still winning the division and going deep in the playoffs.

Absolutely…at that point we have 5 titles and we're playing with house money.
BeaumontAg05
AG
Anyone else having a hard time reading every time somebody puts resigns instead of re-signs? I have to read it twice every time thinking somebody has quit!
cablinaggie
AG
Crane's certainly not a rest-on-your-laurels guy. He paid an employee to do their job, Click did it well, he'll probably get a bonus. I'm sure Click wants more security but in Crane's mind, why get your hands tied by long-term contracts, especially when there will always be smart people in line for that job?

Proudag06
AG
Quote:

He doesn't like him! He's only bringing him back because you can't fire the GM of the team that just won the WS.

So we expecting a 3 year deal?
iamtheglove
Buck Compton said:

My Desired Opening Day Roster. This gives you room under the luxury tax to still make a move at the deadline if needed. Alternatively, you try to get Tucker to sign his extension instead of investing in Brantley/Benintendi.

Signing JV, Abreu/Rizzo, and an OF probably can't happen to stay below the tax. So you may look at just JV+1B or switch to Josh Bell + an OF.

Infield (7 spots)
C: Maldy, Diaz/Lee
1B: Rizzo / Abreu
2B: Altuve
SS: Pena
3B: Bregman
Util: Hensley

Outfield (6 spot)
LF: Alvarez, Brantley/Benintendi - this is a long shot, it's likely a rookie depth position
CF: McCormick, Meyers
RF: Tucker
Util: Dubon

Starting Pitchers (6 man rotation)
JV
Framber
LMJ
Brown
Javier
Urquidy / Garcia - the other needs to be traded for prospects/controllable talent or sent to the minors to stay in shape in case of injury

Relief Pitchers (7 spots)
Whichever of our young relievers in the minors performs best in ST
Martinez
Stanek
Maton
Neris
Abreu
Pressly

This is pretty much where I'm at, with the exception that I would keep brown in the bullpen l. I think that he would be a tremendous weapon in Montero's slot. Then keep the same six man rotation as 2022
agproducer
AG
It may be old news, but this thing is a hit job.

There no wonder why people don't read SI anymore.

spadilly
S
Prosperdick said:

bearkatag15 said:

JV resigns for 3 total years. In those 3 years he gets 45 more wins putting him at 289 total career wins. His ERA has slid into the low 4s though his last season.

Absolutely…at that point we have 5 titles and we're playing with house money.
If he's a 289 and everything plays out that way, you bring him back another year...and then another if need be.
PETE2019
AG
I made the mistake of opening that SI article but WTF?!? I know she wasn't around in 1919 but come on lady.
Moe Jzyslak
AG
Is that Stephanie Apstein? That dumbass absolutely hates the Astros and knows nothing about Baseball.
07ag
AG
don't worry about her, she's the reporter the astros apologized to after the lockerroom osuna incident in 2019, she'll always carry a grudge and be a hater
Ag_07
AG
Quote:

that threatened to bring down the organization entirely

Jesus...What a dumb see you (we'll you know the rest).

Wabs
AG
WES2006AG
AG
Wabs said:

Seeing Pena as the face of the Astros is a new development. What a difference a few weeks makes.
07ag
AG
WES2006AG said:

Wabs said:

Seeing Pena as the face of the Astros is a new development. What a difference a few weeks makes.
Couple of playoff mvp's will do that
turfman80
AG
I dont know if this has been discussed already in the 2022 thread, but Chandler Rome was just on MLB Network talking about the Crane/ Click/ Baker situation, and mentioned that Click had a trade set up at the deadline to bring Contreras to the Astros for Urquidy, but Dusty went to Crane to get the deal canceled. Explains some of the mixed feelings going on with management.
Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand
TREX01
turfman80 said:

I dont know if this has been discussed already in the 2022 thread, but Chandler Rome was just on MLB Network talking about the Crane/ Click/ Baker situation, and mentioned that Click had a trade set up at the deadline to bring Contreras to the Astros for Urquidy, but Dusty went to Crane to get the deal canceled. Explains some of the mixed feelings going on with management.
This isn't some abnormal event. Stuff like this happens every year across the board.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Yes it has. Click wanted to deal Urquidy, with 3 years of control, for Contreras, a half year rental. Crane didn't like this move and I agree with him.
BeaumontAg05
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Yes it has. Click wanted to deal Urquidy, with 3 years of control, for Contreras, a half year rental. Crane didn't like this move and I agree with him.

And turns out, Crane was 100% right. Kept Urquidy and didn't need Contreras to win it all.
First Page Last Page
Page 13 of 353

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.