***Official Houston Astros 2022-23 Offseason Thread***

1,025,642 Views | 12340 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Beat40
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In and so late I got relegated to page 2. (Edit now it's freaking page 3!) I'm not a huge hot stove guy. I figure it will all work out and I can ***** about the lineup opening day.

But let's do this. The off-season begins today.

We have tweaks. Everyone else gets to rebuild to catch the Champs.
Prosperdick
AG
In.

AustinCountyAg
TREX01 said:

I would be wary of trading any pitching. Lance's elbow is prob a ticking time bomb so having the reinforcements to cover that hole is very important. Also no guarantee that Brown makes the leap this year. It could be 2024 before he realizes his potential. We have the coin to make everything work with our staff this year and go get an outfielder/1B.
this. 100%.
Cromagnum
AG
IN.

So glad to be a part of this group and all the fun banter, hot takea, good takea, sexy gifs, TOFA, AOFA, and all the superstitions and rituals we follow. Very glad to have such a good run the last handful of years after decades of mediocrity with a couple glimmers of hope sprinkled in. Especially true when our Aggies have been a train wreck every year since 1998 and they tend to ruin my Saturdays.

JYDog90
AG
One thing that surprised me about Mancini is how slow he is. I noticed on a couple of fly foul balls, including Tucker's clincher, it looks like he's running in beach sand.
CFTXAG10
AG
Not that it was ever really in jeopardy but Blum is staying on w/ the Astros and ATTSN
Farmer1906
AG
I'll do a deeper diver but here is my plan if I'm the GM in the offseason.

1. Upgrade the bats. (1B, LF, C)

Between Abreu, Rizzo, Bell, and I guess Mancini there are a lot of great options to go from worst offensive production at 1B to top half the league. We have money to spend, do it. It's not going to cost an arm and leg either.

We all love what Brantley brings to the table. He gets on base, has productive ABs, and is about al reliable as they come. He's up there in age and the injury bug revisited so he could be a cheap option to bring back for LF. If not, there are some bats to be had on the market. Joc, Benintendi (feel like we'd be buying high), Conforto (worth the risk), and more.

Catcher is probably the next spot we can upgrade. Maldy is ain't going no where. His role should be to serve as mentor to Lee and/or Diaz. We need to get these guys up in the bigs with as many opportunities as possible. The young backstops can give up the boost needed offensively.

2. Retain flexibility.

Having someone like Diaz and Marwin before, is vital to rolling the punches of a long long season. We have Dubon. Defensively he works, but offensively he leaves a lot to be desired. I'm not sure what the best option is here. Maybe another trade? Adam Frazier? Just spitballing here.

3. Extend the window.

Between Tucker, Javier, Pena, Bregman, etc. we have options to hand out extensions. Before last year it was Yordan. The year before that it was McCullers. Anyone who makes sense should at least be asked if they're interested.

4. Keep that nasty BP.

I believe all but Montero will be back. I'd keep my eye out for another addition to the BP is the price is right. A lefty would be nice even though we proved it isn't necessary. Worst case, you make a deadline move.

5. Do not overpay for JV

Between McCullers, Framber, Javier, Brown, Urquidy, & Garcia you have yourself one solid 6 man rotation. I think the odds that JV is as good as 2022 JV is slim. I don't want to lock into a 40 year old for 70-80 M. I think money could be better spent elsewhere. But if Click & Crane take care of 1-4, then give JV whatever he wants afterwards. It's not my money.
MarathonAg12
Rockin my 2017 WS hat with my 2022 WS champions shirt today.

**** the haters
maca1028
The quest for back to back starts now!
Marvin
AG
I'm all in on Brantley coming back. Don't forget- no extreme shifts in '23.

I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Beau Holder
AG
On the money on all points. I'd like to see Hensley get an extended look in the infield utility role. The man just gets hits.

Abreu at 1B would be a lot of fun.

Tucker and Peña getting locked in would be great.
07ag
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Not that it was ever really in jeopardy but Blum is staying on w/ the Astros and ATTSN
source?
https://ts.la/eric59704
cc10106
I 100% agree with #'s 4 and 5 but think Crane will pay whatever to bring JV back. The Astros during this run since 2017 have shown how delicate the balance between pitching, hitting, and defense can be in regards to winning the title. They finally got it right again this season in spades, but upgrading the offense for next season is a higher priority for me.

Already planning with fam for West Palm in a few months. Can't wait as it will be my first spring training.

RED AG 98
AG
In! Run in back in 2023!
CFTXAG10
AG
07ag said:

CFTXAG10 said:

source?

Me. He's out here at the Houston Open most of the week. Gave him a lift this morning.
AgBrother
In -

Abreu at first base would be interesting to me. I know Yuli was great during the playoffs but he was awful during the regular season (if he could be a bench role guy that would be fine).

As long as Brantley's shoulder is ok would be interested in a 1 year deal on him for a low price.

Sounds like Crane is going to make Verlander a priority to resign - will be interesting to see what he gets. Trading an arm would depend a lot on this as if you resign him you have 7 quality options for starters.

Outside of that work on extensions for your key pieces - Tucker, Valdez & Javier - to see if you can get them beyond arbitration.

Wabs
AG
Farmer1906
AG
That wrecks his value.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Wabs said:

Well that rules out him coming here...
All I do is Nguyen
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
texasaggie2015
AG
Let's go boys. Back to back.
lurker76
CFTXAG10 said:

07ag said:

CFTXAG10 said:

source?

Me. He's out here at the Houston Open most of the week. Gave him a lift this morning.
He saved the ABC13 broadcast of the parade yesterday. It was rough with everyone else on the show. Compare that quality to the Dave Ward/Shara Fryar/Bob Allen/Don Nelson days. Worlds apart.
Wabs
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Wabs said:

Well that rules out him coming here...
Yep. Turn to Bell or Abreu?
zgood10
AG
3 months of offseason degeneracy and debauchery (and a fun free agency) begins now, putas
k20dub
AG
Abreu on the Astros would be just nasty. He's averaged 96 RBI's since his rookie year. He'd easily hit 100 in this lineup.
tjack16
AG
My hope

OFFENSIVELY
- re-sign Vasquez, Brantley and Yuli (worst case they are depth or platoon)
- sign a position player. Could be Rizzo, Bell, Benentendi or a decent pinch hit option

PITCHING
- re-sign JV if able. If not, I think we will be fine
- figure out WTF is the plan with Forrest Whitley
- get a good lefty reliever

OVERALL
- everybody stay healthy
- no stupid off field stuff (don't need a Tatis situation)
EastCoastAgNc
AG
BayAg_14
Let the off-season begin. Should be a crazy one! Lots of big names on the move.
texasaggie2015
AG
Really don't understand why so many want re-signing Yuli as a priority. If he wants a cheap, part time role, that's fine. But I wouldn't make it a lead priority by any means.
agdaddy04
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Really don't understand why so many want re-signing Yuli as a priority. If he wants a cheap, part time role, that's fine. But I wouldn't make it a lead priority by any means.

Postseason stars like him don't grow on trees.
OKCAg2002
AG
In! Can't wait to see what we do this off-season. We have the entire young core intact and some veteran pieces to decide on.
McInnis
AG
I just ran the gauntlet through fanatics and they have a ton of Jeremy Pena stuff, as they should. It made me wonder, how much of the sales proceeds will he get? I'm thinking that kind of stuff might be pocket change for the Justin Verlanders of the world but could be a pretty big deal for a young player. In other words, how much is the financial incentive to play on a championship caliber team to players that make below average mlb salary?
07ag
AG
Wabs said:

smart, had a player option for 16 million, instead gets close to 20 to stay with the same team and can hit the free agent market next year with no qo
https://ts.la/eric59704
Farmer1906
AG
07ag said:

Wabs said:

smart, had a player option for 16 million, instead gets close to 20 to stay with the same team and can hit the free agent market next year with no qo

I think this means they work out a deal to stay longer.
Farmer1906
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 3 of 353

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.