***Official Houston Astros 2022-23 Offseason Thread***

1,025,660 Views | 12340 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Beat40
TREX01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I would be wary of trading any pitching. Lance's elbow is prob a ticking time bomb so having the reinforcements to cover that hole is very important. Also no guarantee that Brown makes the leap this year. It could be 2024 before he realizes his potential. We have the coin to make everything work with our staff this year and go get an outfielder/1B.
gambochaman
AG
IN!
McInnis
AG
scd88 said:

In.

Also, Stanek is a modern day Charlie Kerfeld.
I still remember when Charlie got his one and only base hit. I just looked this up, he finished with a .038 career BA. About the same as our post season DH position.
3B Paul 97
AG
The moves I would make:
Sign JV to a team friendly deal for 3 years (3rd is mutual option)
Sign Uncle Mike to a low 2 year deal
Pick up Mancini $10M option
Trade Garcia - I think Urquidy is better suited to bounce to pen and back, throws a lot of strikes and can eat innings
Let Diaz go - as noted there are other cheaper utility options
Trade Meyers - Chaz has earned it and Leon could come up later
Let Montero go - Maybe we can use a trade piece to bring someone back with control. We have success finding undervalued relief guys
Let Will Smith go
Give Yainer Diaz a shot mixing in a C and 1B
Toughest call for me: Letting Yuli go. My heart says bring him back on a team friendly one year deal, my head says there are better options. However, he does still take balls at SS and 3B, so maybe he replaces Diaz and he is the late defensive replacement at 1B?
Deluxe
AG
TREX01 said:

I would be wary of trading any pitching. Lance's elbow is prob a ticking time bomb so having the reinforcements to cover that hole is very important. Also no guarantee that Brown makes the leap this year. It could be 2024 before he realizes his potential. We have the coin to make everything work with our staff this year and go get an outfielder/1B.

I'd be fine keeping all seven. It's a huge strength to know that you'll almost always be rolling out a guy who can give you 6.

To the extent we shop Garcia/Urquidy, I think we can be really picky.

But if we do deal one of them, it opens up a few other possibilities of how to determine the 7th guy:

1) sign a cheap FA vet who wants a ring
2) open a spring training competition among the young guys to win the spot
iamtheglove
Deluxe, thanks for another kickoff to the offseason. In the spirit of your last paragraph, a few words about myself: my name is Bill, class of '87. I generally post on texags about Astros baseball, my incredible Texas A&M memorabilia collection, and random made up haikus. The thing I am best known for here on this forum is being the jackass that originally accused Tucker of lollygagging. I was shouted down, mocked and I eventually ate my plate of crow.

I truly love this forum, the quality of interaction, farmer's stats based take, tjack's lucky holey blue jeans, Mathguy's TOFA, etc., etc. Getting to hang out here with you all is genuinely one of the great pleasures for me on a daily basis. Thanks to each and everyone of you that make this forum the best.
Ag_07
AG
Is Yuli an option to play the role of Diaz utility man role?

Can he play LF, 3B, 1B, and possibly 2B and SS well enough?

If so pick up Mancini's option to play 1B and sign Yuli to a cheap deal to fill in wherever and be the first bat off the bench.

Let him work with Yordan throughout ST and the season to groom him to take over 1B.
MAROON
AG

IN!
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
Wabs
AG
I don't like Mancini being the answer at 1B, at least as the 1A starter. Yes, he's probably the cheapest option but I'm really concerned about his bat. Don't mind keeping him as a backup, but 1B would be my #1 priority this offseason. Rizzo or Bell.
Silent For Too Long
I think one argument you could make for keeping Click is he's one of only 2 GM's in baseball that have had executive level access to Astroball, and the other one is safely away from baseball right now.

Might be worth it to keep that intellectual capital in house. If Click does leave the smartest thing Stienbrenner could do is kick Cashman to the curb and hire Click on the spot.
3B Paul 97
AG
Wabs said:

I don't like Mancini being the answer at 1B, at least as the 1A starter. Yes, he's probably the cheapest option but I'm really concerned about his bat. Don't mind keeping him as a backup, but 1B would be my #1 priority this offseason. Rizzo or Bell.
. He has plenty of history to show he can be a decent hitter. He never really had the opportunity to get into a rhythm and that resulted in him pressing during the post season. I think there would be a different outcome with more regular reps.
Texaggie7nine
Click got a passing grade this year for the Trade deadline. I like giving him one more shot at knocking it out the park.
7nine
3B Paul 97
AG
Ag_07 said:

If so pick up Mancini's option to play 1B and sign Yuli to a cheap deal to fill in wherever and be the first bat off the bench.

Let him work with Yordan throughout ST and the season to groom him to take over 1B.

I think that could be an option. Mancini is more the everyday guy and Yuli fills in at other positions to keep guys fresh during the regular season.
Farmer1906
AG
This get posted here yet?
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

Yuli has pretty much been 1B exclusive. He makes so sense to me playing all over the diamond.

I think we need to use a heads and not hearts this offseason. Bringing back everyone and running it back might work, but I think there are moves to make to get better just in case things don't work out like last year.
3B Paul 97
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Ag_07 said:

Yuli has pretty much been 1B exclusive. He makes so sense to me playing all over the diamond.

I think we need to use a heads and not hearts this offseason. Bringing back everyone and running it back might work, but I think there are moves to make to get better just in case things don't work out like last year.

I believe Bergman might have said that Yuli takes practice at SS and 3B every day, so I was going off of that.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Interesting. I think the Contreras thing was overblown. I'm sure all kinds of deals get nixed all the time that we don't hear about for many reasons. Click obviously did an incredible job of building out the pitching staff, but he needs to do better with position players. His big signings in free agency were Robel Garcia and Niko Goodrum. That's not gonna cut it this off-season. Pinching too many pennies there.

I was never a fan of the idea of hiring Stearns. The trade of Hader to San Diego was on him. He's also given out that awful deal to Yelich.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
3B Paul 97 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Ag_07 said:

I believe Bergman might have said that Yuli takes practice at SS and 3B every day, so I was going off of that.

His primary position in Cuba was 3B
k20dub
AG

IN.
Pappy Van Winkle
AG
Ag_07 said:

Yuli can absolutely be your utility guy if need be. So many people are way too quick/eager to move on from Yuli. I soak in a fair amount of information from podcasts, social media, etc. The guy's an alpha leader on a team full high performers. I'd love to see him transition to that utility role and see us go after a first baseman. Mancini was a great addition to the team this season but I think we can do better.

I'm going to be interested to see what kind of deal we strike with JV. I'd love to bring him back but if he goes to the highest bidder that almost certainly won't be us.

I see us re-signing Uncle Mike without any issues.
Ag_07
AG
Exactly what I'm thinking

Mancini is not a sub-200 hitter like we've seen. I'm sorry I just don't see that becoming the norm for him. Pick up his option and let him settle in and get everyday reps as a prove it type deal.

This way you phase out Yuli in his old age but you keep him around as a veteran leader and to assist in helping his fellow Cuban transition to 1B when Mancini leaves.

I think it could work pending the FO evaluates Yuli and they're comfortable with his ability to play other positions.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

3B Paul 97 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Ag_07 said:

His primary position in Cuba was 3B

Correct. 15 years ago, he probably could be just like Trea Turner, Trevor Stroy, Bregman, Diaz, Betts, whoever. But the man is 38. He moves very well for a 38 year old, but that doesn't mean we want him playing key positions for a championship contending team.

I think we have opportunities to recapture our more elite offense in 2023. We do it by getting better at 1B, LF, & maybe C.
agdaddy04
AG
That got off page 1 in a hurry. Nice post Deluxe. Can't wait til pitchers and catchers report. Won't be long.
Silent For Too Long
BMX Bandit said:

Here is the current money status for next year. $233mm is luxury tax number.

arbitration figures are what spotrac estimates for next year.
(min) $720,000 is minimum salary
(2022) means that is what they made last year
(est) is my WAG on what they got

$143,144,882 so far,

but this does not include:

Verlander 25,000,000 player option (he will get $40mm is my guess)
Mancini 10,000,000 mutual option
Smith 13,000,000 team option (don't see us picking this up)

Ok, so conservatively speaking let's call JV 35 and Uncle Mike 10.

That puts us at 188 and about 40 mil bellow the luxury.

I think that's plenty of room to play around with 1B and maybe a BP arm or two.

If we resign Brantley I'm not sure we really need more OF off the bat. If things don't work out we can always revisit at the deadline.

Or...Brantley is the answer at 1B and you for for a younger OF.
MarathonAg12
Still waiting for a Paul wall world series song
Farmer1906
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

agdaddy04
AG
I think we have to value defense more at 1B than what Brantley could bring to the position. Yuli saved a lot of runs over there.
3B Paul 97
AG
Catchy little diddy.
Boiling Denim
I think you only keep one of Yuli and Brantley with Yuli being relegated to spot duty if he resigns. I think the grind got to him big time this year and his resurgence in the playoffs was a product of the extra rest at the end.

I'd also be all in favor of signing Vasquez and relegating Maldy to spot duty so we can start that transition as well.

MarathonAg12
Farmer1906 said:

MarathonAg12 said:

TREX01
Farmer1906 said:

Ag_07 said:

I agree. Unfortunately some difficult decisions have to be made. Yuli is prob #1 on that list. I hate to see him go but I'd rather bring Brantley back.
Silent For Too Long
Yeah I agree on Vasquez.

Pipe dream, but could you imagine if the Phillies would be so desperate to get another solid arm they would trade Realmuto for Garcia?

It would be so sweet to add that weapon of a backstop to this lineup:

Altuve
Pena
Brantley
Yordan
Realmuto
Bregman
Tucker
(First Baseman)
McCormick
Beau Holder
AG
In.

Quality OP. Time to bask in this glow for a bit.
W
AG
regarding Yuli and Brantley...

the Astros will have an all-Sugarland bench if neither returns --- need to keep one of them

Last Page
Page 2 of 353

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.