***Official Houston Astros 2022-23 Offseason Thread***

948,572 Views | 12340 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by Beat40
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Never thought I'd say it but...Can we get Jess Mendoza back?

Uneducated commentary + big knockers >>>>> Egotistical commentary + frosted tips
Bag
AG
spadilly said:

Dusty mentioned he took a foul ball off the ankle but stayed to "support the team."
grrrr
texasaggie2015
AG
I'm not a Roger Clemens guy but I'll take him over Mendoza every time

Side note... Is the Mendoza Line our new way to rate broadcasters?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
tjack16
AG
I ordered one this morning, but I hate buying fitted hats online. So hit or miss with sizing
Sex Panther
AG
Does anyone think'know if there is a big difference between the authentic and the replicas? Obviously there is a significant price jump, but really I'm just trying to decide if I want one with the number on the front (authentic) vs only the back (replica).

Mr.Bond
AG
Sex Panther said:

Does anyone think'know if there is a big difference between the authentic and the replicas? Obviously there is a significant price jump, but really I'm just trying to decide if I want one with the number on the front (authentic) vs only the back (replica).

Only 2 obvious differences are the number on front and quality of material
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Farmer1906
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Sex Panther said:

Only 2 obvious differences are the number on front and quality of material

Pretty sure the authentic is longer and a little more fitted and not so boxy. I think there is a clear difference in person difference. Each person I think will have to decide if it's X dollars better.

Here is a quote from Dicks

BASEBALL JERSEYS
Baseball enthusiasts have two jersey qualities to be mindful of.

Authentic
This top-notch jersey type can give you the same apparel as your favorite player. Authentic baseball jerseys fit perfectly in the team clubhouse or your personal closet. Numbers and letters are stitched onto the high-performance fabric. Numbered sizing adds to the caliber of this garment.

Replica
For fans seeking a more affordable apparel option, turn to replica jerseys. Manufacturers use iron-on letters and numbers rather than stitching, creating a lighter garment. However, be mindful that replica jerseys often feature flimsier fabrics.
The Porkchop Express
It's 8 days until Opening Day and that gets us to #8 on the jersey countdown, a number which is ... oddly boring?

Nobody has worn #8 for the Astros for more than 3 years, and those who did are not exactly luminaries: Dave Adlesh, Ed Herrmann, and Mark Loretta.

I've never heard of Adlesh before today. The Astros brought him up in 1963 at 1ge 19 and he played part-time in 1967 and 1968 as a catcher but was a terrible hitter - career average .168. His career highlight was catching the first of Don Wilson's two no-hitters.

Herrmann, also a catcher, had some early success with the White Sox in the 1970s, then came to Houston midway through the 1976 season in a trade for two other guys I don't know. He platooned behind the plate and was a .291 hitter in 1977. He caught Larry DIerker's no-hitter in 1976.

Loretta came over to the Astros twice, the first time in 2002 in a trade for Keith Ginter. He was a very versatile utility infielder who finished his career with a .295 batting average. He played 21 games for the 'Stros down the stretch in 2002 and hit a crazy .424 (28 for 66) with a 1.056 OPS. He split for the Padres and had two monster years, including 2004 when he had 208 hits, 47 doubles and hit 335 with SIXTEEN sacrifice flys.

He returned to Houston as a free agent in 2007, and even at ages 35 and 36, hit .287 and .280 for the team. He played 133 games in 2007 and 101 in 2008. On June 29 against the Rockies in 2007, Colorado intentionally walked Carlos Lee when he had hit a walk-off grand slam the night before. Loretta followed with a walk-off two-run homer.

Other #8s over the years include Milt May, Jeff Keppinger, and Jed Lowrie.

Hopefully someone more exciting wore #7 for tomorrow's countdown.

WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
OKCAg2002
AG
I am anxiously waiting to see who you choose for #7. Nobody really important, I think.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Did we change our uniforms to have a number on the front now? Because otherwise it's stupid to call it authentic when it isn't even an accurate replica
tjack16
AG
Might head over to MMP at 3 today. Anybody been already?
The Porkchop Express
OKCAg2002 said:

I am anxiously waiting to see who you choose for #7. Nobody really important, I think.
Seven Costanza
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
Prosperdick
AG
Bregxit
AG
OKCAg2002 said:

Ol' Gus Triandos, may he rest in piece.
Marvin
AG
tjack16 said:

Mrs. Marvin went this morning. Lots of gear available, although she had to hunt pretty hard to find herself a Peña jersey.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

In other tweets, timeline is 2 months until he can resume baseball activities. Start the clock
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Start the clock
MAY

8-10 Week Window.
tjack16
AG
Marvin said:

tjack16 said:

Mrs. Marvin went this morning. Lots of gear available, although she had to hunt pretty hard to find herself a Peña jersey.

I think im passing on a jersey but I liked those polos and baseballs
CFTXAG10
AG
A week out from Christmas eve. Cant get here soon enough.
OKCAg2002
AG
Nice. I'd say late May to early June is realistic. He won't even be able to swing a bat for the foreseeable future. A guy like Altuve could probably take a solid two months off and hit MLB pitching cold, but they'll almost certainly do an extended rehab assignment.
Farmer1906
AG
Opening Day Roster Prediction

Rotation
  • Valdez
  • Javier
  • Garcia
  • Urquidy
  • Brown (Blanco if Brown can't go)

Bullpen
  • Pressly
  • Montero
  • Abreu
  • Stanek
  • Neris
  • Maton
  • Martinez
  • Blanco (Gage if Blanco has to start)

Starters
  • C - Maldonado
  • 1B - Abreu
  • 2B - Hensley
  • SS - Pena
  • 3B - Bregman
  • LF - Alvarez
  • CF - McCormick
  • RF - Tucker
  • DH - Diaz

Bench
  • Meyers
  • Dubon
  • 2 of the following: Lee (3rd catcher?), Dirden (will need to make a 40 man move & do we need another OFer?), Matijevic (lefty bat, better at 1B than Diaz and Hensley?), or Bannon (Can play 2B & 3B)

Injured List
  • Brantley (1-2 weeks?)
  • Altuve (8-10 weeks)
  • McCullers (???)
TRM
AG
If Altuve is out 8 weeks, might as well put him on the 60 day list and no 40 man roster will be necessary until he comes back.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Rotation
  • Valdez
  • Javier
  • Garcia
  • Urquidy

Bullpen
  • Pressly
  • Montero
  • Abreu
  • Stanek
  • Neris
  • Maton
  • Martinez

Starters
  • C - Maldonado
  • 1B - Abreu
  • 2B - Hensley
  • SS - Pena
  • 3B - Bregman
  • LF - Alvarez
  • CF - McCormick
  • RF - Tucker
  • DH - Diaz

Bench
  • Meyers
  • Dubon
  • 2 of the following: Lee (3rd catcher?), Dirden (will need to make a 40 man move & do we need another OFer?), Matijevic (lefty bat, better at 1B than Diaz and Hensley?), or Bannon (Can play 2B & 3B)

Injured List
  • Brantley (1-2 weeks?)
  • Altuve (8-10 weeks)
  • McCullers (???)

Lots of open ended answers i that post...and Id put money on Dubon starting and Alvarez on the bench for at least the first few games if not longer. Moving Meyers to CF and Chaz to LF

edit to add, I believe Lee might have the backup C spot locked up.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
TRM said:

If Altuve is out 8 weeks, might as well put him on the 60 day list and no 40 man roster will be necessary until he comes back.
I could see this being the easy move for Dirden, buys time to evaluate the bottom few guys on the 40 man and decide who to cut later.

How long is MCC out?
Wabs
AG
I really hope you're right with Hensley at 2B. If I were betting in Vegas on it, I'd put money on Dusty starting Dubon for the first couple of weeks of the season.
Farmer1906
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Rotation
  • Valdez
  • Javier
  • Garcia
  • Urquidy

Bullpen
  • Pressly
  • Montero
  • Abreu
  • Stanek
  • Neris
  • Maton
  • Martinez

Starters
  • C - Maldonado
  • 1B - Abreu
  • 2B - Hensley
  • SS - Pena
  • 3B - Bregman
  • LF - Alvarez
  • CF - McCormick
  • RF - Tucker
  • DH - Diaz

Bench
  • Meyers
  • Dubon

Injured List
  • Brantley (1-2 weeks?)
  • Altuve (8-10 weeks)
  • McCullers (???)

Lots of open ended answers i that post...and Id put money on Dubon starting and Alvarez on the bench for at least the first few games if not longer. Moving Meyers to CF and Chaz to LF

edit to add, I believe Lee might have the backup C spot locked up.
Espada sounded pretty confident in Yordan being ready for opening day. Dusty likes to use Yordan in LF when Framber pitches. Plus I think there would be something sentimental about actually playing the field on opening day. If not, then I agree about Jake in CF and Chas in LF.

Taggs mid March article had Diaz over Lee due to his ability to play 1st. I want them both on the roster. We'll have to see.

bearkatag15
AG

Any guesses? He said it's not Stanton.
astros4545
AG
Hensley will start over Dubon

And Yordan is playing tomorrow, so he will be ready for Opening day if no setbacks
Farmer1906
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

TRM said:

I could see this being the easy move for Dirden, buys time to evaluate the bottom few guys on the 40 man and decide who to cut later.

How long is MCC out?
Good question. I haven't seen anything reported besides he would throw for the 3rd time 3/15 and that his injury was "Strained forearm muscle, very low grade. They hesitate to even call it a strain".
Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Any guesses? He said it's not Stanton.
Probably Ohtani.
bearkatag15
AG
Not many would probably guess that one

First Page Last Page
Page 339 of 353

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.