*****Official 2022 Rangers Off-Season Thread*****

112,275 Views | 1323 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Mr Gigem
ChipFTAC01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Schall 02 said:

Is anyone else concerned about the regional tv networks imploding? Sports radio in Denver reporting the company that owns the Rockies' broadcast rights wants the team to take them back by something like March 30 2023 or they will file Chapter 7 liquidation of assets.

They all way overpaid for regional content. Gonna see some contraction of salaries in coming years.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Schall 02 said:

Is anyone else concerned about the regional tv networks imploding? Sports radio in Denver reporting the company that owns the Rockies' broadcast rights wants the team to take them back by something like March 30 2023 or they will file Chapter 7 liquidation of assets.

Are the Rockies on Bally or AT&T? I think AT&T is just shuttering their RSNs all together which sounds more in line with that.
rbtexan
S
I can't imagine a scenario where MLB doesn't pick up the slack if some of these regional providers collapse. Too much value in having all the games broadcast on TV. I wonder if it might be headed for a lot of these regional networks falling under the MLB Network umbrella. Not sure that would be a good thing, but I suppose it's better than going back to the days when some teams just are hardly ever televised.
Jimbo Franchione
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I'm assuming that's ultimately where it's headed. Bally has 14 teams I think and then you have the AT&T Sports Net teams like the Astros so theoretically they grab all of that at once and have more than half the league back immediately. I just don't know what that subscription service looks like.
fc2112
There are several problems with "MLB just taking over", being:

1. The broadcast rights are a property DSM bought and owns, so their debtors have first dibs when bankruptcy is declared. MLB keeps saying they'll broadcast games - they may not legally be allowed to do so by the court. It's TBD

2. The lack of DSM payments will be a big cash flow issue for all these clubs. For instance, the Rangers next payment is due March 15, IIRC. It's in the $20 MM range per payment four times a year. If that isn't paid, the club hurts - a lot.

3. There is something about profit sharing in the CBA. If the RSNs go under, that's a big money hit and players contracts could be affected, which would unleash the kraken.

Next month is going to be interesting. March 17 is D Day for DSM.
ChipFTAC01
AG
What is DSM?
MrCoachEricTaylor
I don't pretend to be too wise when it comes to the knowings of these deals and bankruptcies.. but would MLB be able to cut a deal with DSG's debtors to take them over? To take ownership of the rights to broadcast the games? I mean an institution like the MLB I would think would be able to come up with the money no problem.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Provided number one is correct, they'd still have to pay the contract though correct? Between this bankruptcy and AT&T seeming to be bailing out on the whole concept, I'd think those contracts would be pretty unpalatable at this point.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

What is DSM?

I think he's referring to Diamond Sports Media(?) that is the company technically holding the rights under Sinclair.
fc2112
ChipFTAC01 said:

What is DSM?
Diamond Sports Media. Bally just bought the rights to have their name on the channel.
Jimmy McNulty
AG
Leiter getting the start today?
gigem1223
Bochy said he won't start, likely will pitch 1-2 middle innings. Handling with kid gloves.
fc2112
Just because DSM is filing for bankruptcy doesn't mean they're broke. In fact, they have quite a bit of cash.

They may choose to try and pay some license fees and not others - subject to court approval. The debtors could try to monetize the assets - sell them to Amazon or Apple.

But it all has to be done under the scrutiny of a court deciding what DSM does with its assets. And Opening Day is just a few weeks away.
KT 90
AG
Jimmy McNulty said:

Leiter getting the start today?

I saw somewhere online this morning that both Leiter and Rocker are scheduled to pitch today vs. the Rockies.

KT 90
AG
fc2112 said:

Just because DSM is filing for bankruptcy doesn't mean they're broke. In fact, they have quite a bit of cash.

They may choose to try and pay some license fees and not others - subject to court approval. The debtors could try to monetize the assets - sell them to Amazon or Apple.

But it all has to be done under the scrutiny of a court deciding what DSM does with its assets. And Opening Day is just a few weeks away.

Yeah, I am no expert, but there are different types of bankruptcies you can declare. I think Ch. 7 and Ch. 11 are the main ones. But a big part of it is trying to get a better deal with your creditors. Hopefully they can work out something to continue operations and air the games while these negotiations are happening.
MrCoachEricTaylor
Looks like Cody Bradford. But pretty sure Leiter and Rocker will pitch at some point today
gigem1223
Leiter and Rocker with 1 IP each, 1 hit, zero runs.
MrCoachEricTaylor
Gotta love it! Really hoping Leiter takes a big step in improving his command!
Schall 02
AG
Quincey P. Morris said:

Schall 02 said:

Are the Rockies on Bally or AT&T? I think AT&T is just shuttering their RSNs all together which sounds more in line with that.

Rox are AT&T.
alvtimes
ok I gotta ask….are we waiting til Opening Day for a '23 Season thread???? Mr. Gig'em….. I think Im deferring to you!!!! lol
Mr Gigem
AG
alvtimes said:

ok I gotta ask….are we waiting til Opening Day for a '23 Season thread???? Mr. Gig'em….. I think Im deferring to you!!!! lol

Yes, we will start it was the regular season gets underway.

Btw, the coupon code for this year is texags23. It should be active this Friday once single game tickets go on sale
KT 90
AG
It's mostly the backups, but just noticed the Rangers are on BSSW right now vs. the Padres Losing 3-0.

it is actually a split squad day. Most of the starters are playing the Dodgers right now as well.
Tksymm7
AG
Has anyone actually watched any of these spring training games, and how does Josh Jung look? His stats aren't good, but stats aren't the total picture.
alvtimes
Tksymm7 said:

Has anyone actually watched any of these spring training games, and how does Josh Jung look? His stats aren't good, but stats aren't the total picture.

I have been trying to watch the broadcast game…. against cleveland he was outta the game before I figured out it was on…. against Reds didnt play…. today he played split squad against Dodgers…. but the broadcast was the game against the Padres. I know…. crappy update, but thats all I got. Lol
rbtexan
S
Trying to read too much into the performance of players this early in spring training is kind of a fool's errand. Sometimes the starting pitcher wants to work on fastball command and throws nothing but fastballs. A hitter might be working on a swing adjustment, or hitting to the opposite field, etc. Additionally sometimes you have a pitcher from A ball throwing to major league players. Bottom line is that early in spring training it's hard to know what you're looking at.

I've seen Jung in a couple of games on TV. Looked good in one, less good (but not awful) in the other. It's really just too soon to get either excited or concerned. Mid March is when things start getting more obvious.
Jimbo Franchione
fc2112
While this is true, I couldn't help but get excited watching Eovaldi pitch the other day. His stuff looked in midseason form.
MrCoachEricTaylor
https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/rangers/2023/03/01/ray-davis-optimistic-anxious-about-rangers-season-amidst-tumultuous-tv-situation/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_SportsDay_s_Texas_Rangers_Fan_Central&fbclid=IwAR3dypvWbcZefHapBTXSfm_yHDw2zTwZlx8T_GSHWqemTVNQS-W3TbEpP-w

Here's an interesting article about Ray Davis's opinion on the whole RSN issue
rbtexan
S
fc2112 said:

While this is true, I couldn't help but get excited watching Eovaldi pitch the other day. His stuff looked in midseason form.
I get excited about players performing well too - but there's a difference between excitement and evaluation, that's really my point.
Jimbo Franchione
Tksymm7
AG
I feel confident Leiter will start the year in AA again, but where do y'all think Rocker begins? High A or AA? I think high A is the better option, but because of his age and Leiter I could see them going the AA route.
KT 90
AG
fc2112 said:

Not to be Debbie Downer, but.... see below on Eovaldi. Hopefully it is minor and mostly precautionary

bmac_aggie18
AG
Honestly some of these injuries just blow my mind. Like what on earth is neck tightness and side soreness don't even know where to begin haha
KT 90
AG
Quote from Chris Young, regarding the several pitching related injuries they are working through:

"I think it's not unusual for guys to go through minor aches and pains as they are building up for the season," Young said Wednesday before going to watch deGrom throw an approximately 35-pitch bullpen session.

"The prudent thing to do is to react cautiously. At this point, there is not [significant concern over missed time], but we are being very cautious to get through the early stages of camp. We'd like to see these things dissipate in the next five to seven days."

KT 90
AG
bmac_aggie18 said:

Honestly some of these injuries just blow my mind. Like what on earth is neck tightness and side soreness don't even know where to begin haha
Yeah, if this was high school they'd tell you to rub some dirt on it and get your a$$ out there. But I guess now we are dealing with multi-million dollar investments, so handle with kid gloves it is...
Quincey P. Morris
AG
KT 90 said:

bmac_aggie18 said:

Yeah, if this was high school they'd tell you to rub some dirt on it and get your a$$ out there. But I guess now we are dealing with multi-million dollar investments, so handle with kid gloves it is...

Multi-million dollar investments and games that aren't overly important of the guys we're talking about. I'm not sure we'd see them sitting out for some of this stuff in late September or October.
Schall 02
AG
bmac_aggie18 said:

You ever tried to throw a baseball 95 mph? 100 times? Over and over?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.