*****Official 2022 Rangers Off-Season Thread*****

109,463 Views | 1323 Replies | Last: 12 mo ago by Mr Gigem
Jimtim1216
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Not to be Mr. Negative, but pen is still a big concern. Without a doubt contending for the playoffs will happen, but for the division is possible if the bullpen is middle of the pack at minimum.
Mr Gigem
AG
Jimtim1216 said:

Not to be Mr. Negative, but pen is still a big concern. Without a doubt contending for the playoffs will happen, but for the division is possible if the bullpen is middle of the pack at minimum.

Not negative. It's a legitimate question mark

alvtimes
Mr Gigem said:

Jimtim1216 said:

Not negative. It's a legitimate question mark

Thats why the hold up on Matt Moore is odd to me….. I thought he was extremely effective out of the pen last yr….. Im guessing he is either looking to move back into a starters role or asking for a big $$$ increase over last yr
DallasAg 94
Multiple stories indicating Strahm's 2yr/$15M deal has set a high price for a LH-RP which is beyond the market. As a result Moore's (and others) asking price has elevated.

Is Moore worth more than 2yr/$15M? He is worth more than Stahm... but is that a reasonable price?!
fc2112
I'll take the contrary that our BP needs a little bit of work, but not so much.

Keep in mind we have FOUR starting pitchers without a place in the rotation

Odorizzi
Otto
Dunning
Ragans

Just one MLB ready starter could likely bring two good BP arms. But even aside from trade, all these guys could be excellent out of the pen. Having starters ready to go out of the pen when your regular rotation gets injured is a big plus too.

Then there are the BP arms I am satisfied to go into 2023 with:

Hearn
Barlow
Leclerc
Burke

Since there can only be 8 men in the BP now, you're kinda there already. Sure, a couple of those starters can likely go work in the minors to be ready for a MLB call up when someone gets hurt. But we may only be one or two arms away from our BP being ready.

Our problem last year wasn't so much the BP arms as it was the starters not going long enough to keep the BP arms fresh. Hell, our BP ERA was 3.72, which was 12th in MLB - not terrible at all. And that was with being overused.

Looked all over for number of innings pitched by bullpens last year and couldn't find it. I remember somewhere seeing the Rangers were in the top 5 in that stat, thus suggesting overuse.
rbtexan
S
You left off Jonathan Hernandez, who might be the best of the bunch.
Jimbo Franchione
fc2112
Indeed - my bad. Nor Ian Kennedy,
KT 90
AG
rbtexan said:

You left off Jonathan Hernandez, who might be the best of the bunch.

I'm expecting bounce back type seasons from Hernandez and Le Clerc. They both were coming off of TJohn surgery, and only pitched the last month or two of the season.

Those two plus Barlow gives you three very capable RHPs out of the bullpen.
Jimtim1216
S
Excellent points, but still the BP is the biggest concern for this team. It could actually be a strong point. If it is, then this team is going to be very very good.
Mr Gigem
AG
I wouldn't count on Dunning in the pen. There are a lot of metrics that suggest he would not be a good BP. For instance, he got better AFTER his first time through the rotation last year. Not exactly what you want.

He could be a trade piece for two actual BP arms.

Or you could send him to the minors
gigem1223
Biggest concern for me with this team is the overall durability of the rotation. If they can stay relatively healthy then this team will compete and the BP will benefit greatly.
rbtexan
S
I agree about Dunning, but I think Otto actually profiles better as a reliever. If one of the two make the team, I'm betting it's Otto in the pen and Dunning down to AAA.
Jimbo Franchione
Mr Gigem
AG
gigem1223 said:

Biggest concern for me with this team is the overall durability of the rotation. If they can stay relatively healthy then this team will compete and the BP will benefit greatly.

This is why I think Dunning needs to start in AAA. Build him up to 7 IP per start. Then if/when one of the starters gets injured, Dunning can come in to make spot starts. That should also build up his trade value when we are buyers at the trade deadline
Jimtim1216
S
Agree on Dunning. I think if he is very successful in AAA that sometime in June you should be able to trade him if the BP needs help.

If we can consistently get 6 out of the starters then the BP could become better than I thought.
MrCoachEricTaylor
I would be willing to bet we have an injury by June, if that's the case I think Dunning should be the first up to fill in as a starter
DallasAg 94
I know some of you hate when I put all the stats in, but IMO, it helps with context.

Let's assume the following rotation develops in ST and we feel pretty good about the starting 5:
deGrom - 11 GS, 64.1 IP, 3.08 ERA
Perez:L - 32GS, 196.1 IP, 2.89 ERA
Eovaldi - 20 GS, 109.1 IP, 3.87 ERA
Heaney:L - 14GS, 72.2 IP, 3.10 ERA
Jo Gray - 24 GS, 127.1 IP, 3.96 ERA

I'd feel 100% confident that 1 or more miss a GS within the 1st 10 games... likely landing on the DL.

Next man up... we probably need to start with Odorizzi and Dunning so that we already have them with the club.
Odorizzi - 10 GS, 46.1 IP, 5.24 ERA
Dunning - 29 GS, 153.1 IP, 4.46 ERA
Otto - 27 GS, 135.2 IP, 4.64 IP

Dunning was Mr. Durability in 2022 compared to the 4 not named Perez. Dunning likely ends up in the rotation, the only riddle to solve is which one of the 5 goes on the DL/IL.

#MrCynical
rbtexan
S
Party pooper

Jimbo Franchione
fc2112
Trust me, I'm not opposed to keeping 'em all. Injuries happen - and teams need that depth at SP. Odorizzi has been around long enough to bounce between the pen and starting. Otto needs to be back in the minors getting regular work. Probably Dunning too.
MrCoachEricTaylor
I agree with this 100%!
twilly
AG
Ian Kinsler hired as special assistant to the GM

Ranger fans you're not dreaming! The Rangers are the World Series Champions!
Roland Schitt
AG
twilly said:

Bring back the antlers!
ChipFTAC01
AG
Did thr Rangers used to use What I Like About You by the Romantics as part of their advertising or game presentation? This would have been 93 or before (when I left Corsicana)
KT 90
AG

double aught
AG
Roland *****t said:

twilly said:

Bring back the antlers!
Bring back the $6 beers from that same era.
fc2112
Bankruptcy of Diamond Sports Group expected next week.

Following is a very in depth analysis of the issues. In short - no one knows for sure what happens to broadcast right once DSG enters bankruptcy. They will not be free to pay the Rangers (next payment is due in March) without court approval. And the creditors will be in line in front of the Rangers, so doubtful the Rangers get paid.

If Rangers don't get paid, are Rangers free to declare default and sell their rights to someone else? I don't know how the contracts are written. And are local rights something that falls under the auspices of the bankruptcy court?

Not to mention the cash flow issues a non-payment to the Rangers will mean in day to day operations, a much more immediate issue.

The whole thing will be a mess huge mess that likely extends well into the season.

https://www.sportico.com/business/media/2023/bally-sports-rsn-bankruptcy-1234709444/

Quote:

Diamond Sports Group, a collection of 19 regional sports networks (RSNs) doing business as Bally Sports, is planning to file for bankruptcy next week, according to multiple people familiar with the plan. The group currently controls the local broadcast rights to more than 40 teams in the NBA, NHL and MLB, and its bankruptcy would be a significant blow to the cable network model that has lucratively buoyed U.S. sports for the past 50 years.

Diamond is owned by Sinclair Broadcast Group (Nasdaq: SBGI), which bought the RSNs in a debt-heavy $9.6 billion deal back in 2019. Since then, it has struggled to right the business as consumers rush to abandon cable and Diamond struggles to define its digital future.

The group has $140 million in interest payments due next week. Instead of meeting them, it is planning to file Chapter 11 next week, said the people, who were granted anonymity because the details are private.

The bankruptcy could have a dramatic impact for some of the most popular (and most valuable) sports teams in the U.S., particularly in the NBA, NHL and MLB, where local TV rights have for decades been a significant and reliable revenue stream.

For the affected teams, the bankruptcy will trigger a number of questions. For instance, what happens with payment owed to the teams during the Chapter 11 process? More concerning, what do local sports media rights look like in the aftermath, and will leagues like the NBA or MLB get involved more directly?

MLB commissioner Rob Manfred gave at least part of an answer earlier this week. Following an owners meeting in Florida, Manfred told the Associated Press that baseball would be prepared to make games available via both digital and traditional cable avenues should Diamond be unable to.

The RSN model is one of the many corners of the media world being gradually upended by the decline of cable subscribersa "melting glacier" in the parlance of many who work in sports media. There are 62.2 million bundled TV subscribers in the U.S., according to data from MoffettNathanson, a 26% drop from 2019 when Sinclair bought the RSNs, and a 38% drop from 2014.

To stem those trends, many large media companies are shifting their business to include digital options, services like ESPN+ or Paramount+, which typically lose money at the outset in the hopes of gradually assuming the economic heft of their linear counterparts. Last year Diamond unveiled its first major digital offering, Bally Sports+, which allowed fans to stream local games for $19.99 per month or $189.99 per year.

Chapter 11 bankruptcy is used to give troubled businesses time to restructure their financial obligations under court supervision and in coordination with creditors. The intention of Chapter 11 is to reemerge as a viable business with a manageable financial plan.

While Diamond raised $635 million about a year ago in a loan to provide liquidity for operations through this year, its financial outlook has worsened as the business has burned through its cash with big obligations ahead. Diamond has $1.8 billion in rights fees due this year to the NBA, NHL and MLB, as well as over $600 million in interest payments on its debt in 2023, according to S&P Global Ratings.

The business is also facing the maturity of $3.1 billion of corporate debentures in 2026, and another $1.7 billion in 2027. Since all but $14 million of those debentures are unsecured, bankruptcy could allow the RSNs to eliminate some debt. The business overall has $8.6 billion in debt. The bond markets have been signaling an expectation of Diamonds Sports bankruptcy, with unsecured debt trading at the fire-sale price of 10 cents on the dollar for the past few months.

Those prices reflect the broader trouble brewing on the horizon for the past few years, concerns that have escalated in recent months. In December, days after taking a $1 billion impairment on the RSNs, Diamond voted to block Sinclair from management of the group. Company executives said at that time that they had enough money to operate the business through at least 2023, but cautioned that that could change depending on broader economic forces.

Despite the distancing between Diamond and its parent, Sinclair still owns 90% of the group's equity. Chapter 11 bankruptcy typically wipes out equity holders, who sit at the bottom of the creditor hierarchy. However, the filing likely will have few ramifications for Sinclair's stock price, given investors appear to have largely written off Diamond's value to Sinclair after the split, according to Morningstar.

Last month Bloomberg reported that Diamond's lawyers were preparing a debt restructuring in bankruptcy court. The plan favored by the company and its creditors at the time, Bloomberg said, would turn lenders into owners in a prearranged Chapter 11 process. That could explain why Diamond might miss its upcoming interest paymentlenders could prefer the company not spend more cash before they become owners.
KT 90
AG
Good info, thanks. Hopefully Manfred and the MLB get some info out on the hop. The season opener isn't that far off. Changing cable providers can be a pain.... but if DirecTV loses the Rangers games I will likely be changing.

Quote:

For the affected teams, the bankruptcy will trigger a number of questions. For instance, what happens with payment owed to the teams during the Chapter 11 process? More concerning, what do local sports media rights look like in the aftermath, and will leagues like the NBA or MLB get involved more directly?

MLB commissioner Rob Manfred gave at least part of an answer earlier this week. Following an owners meeting in Florida, Manfred told the Associated Press that baseball would be prepared to make games available via both digital and traditional cable avenues should Diamond be unable to.
AgBQ-00
AG
Yeah the only thing keeping me on DTV is Rangers and Stars
fc2112
While Manfred makes that claim, the local broadcast rights will be a property that DSG's creditors have claim to. It will be up to the court to settle who gets to do what and who gets paid for it.

DannyDuberstein
AG
What a **** show. Bankruptcy is messy, complicated, and slow. Agree that it won't be as easy as Manfred indicates - those broadcast rights are an asset held by the business that ultimately brings in $$$ to pay creditors. MLB may be able to work out some sort of structure, but it's going to involve creditors and a judge approving because they will need to get paid. Not simple stuff.
fc2112
All of which is why I have yet to sign up for DTV or Fubo. We'll get a feel for what's gonna happen to the Rangers by seeing what happens to the Stars and Mavs.
alvtimes
I just know that after watching 5 ****fest seasons…. now that the Rangers have assembled a competitive roster, the hammer is gonna fall on watching on TV.
AgBQ-00
AG
saw on mlbtv that they rated the Rangers as the #3 team of winners this offseason with the additions.
hawk1689
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

saw on mlbtv that they rated the Rangers as the #3 team of winners this offseason with the additions.

This means we're doomed!
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Pitchers and catchers report today!

42 days until opening day.

Let's get it on!
Mr Gigem
AG
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

Pitchers and catchers report today!

42 days until opening day.

Let's get it on!

I'll be there 3/17-3/20!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.