*****Official 2022 Rangers Off-Season Thread*****

109,508 Views | 1323 Replies | Last: 12 mo ago by Mr Gigem
gigem1223
How long do you want to ignore this user?
jtstanley4621 said:

Rodon and Degrom would represent trying to win now and also establishing a stronger core for the future. I'd be all in favor of it.

Would also probably make Gray our 5th starter which I'd be thrilled with. Nothing against Dane Dunning personally but he shouldn't sniff the rotation on a good staff. I'd love to have him as a spot starter or long reliever

Gray would be 4 no?

1. deGrom
2. Rodon
3. Perez
4. Gray
5. Otto/ Dunning/ Ragans/ Odorizzi

Jesus, looking at that rotation gives me a pretty big sport's chub.
rbtexan
S
Pretty sure Odorizzi would be the 5
Jimbo Franchione
DallasAg 94
Getting Rodon would be stupid crazy awesome.

Some stats. I added 1st name characters to try to get them to align.

CRodon (29-L): 31 GS, 2.88 ERA, 1.028 WHIP, 178.0 IP, 237 SO, 12.0 SO9
deGrom (34-R): 11 GS, 3.08 ERA, 0.746 WHIP, 64.1 IP, 102 SO, 14.3 SO9
MPerez (31-L): 32 GS, 2.89 ERA, 1.258 WHIP, 196.1 IP, 169 SO, 7.7 SO9
JoGray (30-R): 24 GS, 3.96 ERA, 1.131 WHIP, 127.1 IP, 134 SO, 9.6 SO9
-------------
Odorizzi (32-R): 10 GS, 5.24 ERA, 1.554, 46.1 IP, 40 SO, 7.8 SO9
DDunning (27-R): 29 GS, 4.46 ERA, 1.435, 153.1 IP , 137 SO, 8.0 SO9
GlenOtto (26-R): 27 GS, 4.64 ERA, 1.334, 135.2 IP

I could see Rodon taking a 3yr deal. At 32, he'd get another big contract for 3-4 yrs.

That'd gives Martin Perez his 1 yr and then opening up a slot in 2024.
3 yrs of Rodon could open up another slot for our young guys

Rodon would be awesome addition.
KT 90
AG
I agree Rodon would be a great addition, but I'm not sure is realistic to expect ownership to chip in for another big free agent contract. In the past 12 months they've already taken on Seager, Semien, and no de Grom. Maybe they will though. But I am thinking if we add another SP, that it comes via a trade. Package up a few prospects plus maybe somebody off the mlb roster would be my guess. We've got to do something with our excess MIF prospects, as they are blocked by Seager and Semien.

rbtexan
S
TBH I'd still rather see the Rangers try to acquire a SP through a trade. A couple of names that have been mentioned as potentially available are the two Brewers pitchers (Burnes & Woodruff) and Marlins ace Alcantra.

Would cost a bunch of prospects for any of those guys, but might be worth it to get a controllable arm while thinning out the middle infield logjam in the system.

My choice would be Burns or Alcantra, but Woodruff is no slouch either.
Jimbo Franchione
vander54
S
We have the money. I could see it happening
World's worst proofreader
DallasAg 94
With Dunning having 4 years of control and Otto having 5 years of control... I think there is some potential value.

Our 1st crop of SPs:
#4 Owen White (23-RHP)
#10 Cole Winn (23-RHP)
Ragans (24-LHP)

2nd Crop
#2 Jack Leiter (AA-22-RHP) eta 2023
#8 Kumar Rocker (23-RHP) eta 2025

We could certainly put a package together for something.

When you talk about MIF talent... I'm not sure we have as much as we'd like to think. Many guys like Solak and Calhoun have washed out. Many of the guys JD took have been what I thought they'd be. Duran is at 3B. We have some talent, but not nearly as much if you are thinking about last summer's view.

Some context for our MIF surplus:
#5 Foscue (AA-23) is listed as the #4 2B overall.
#7 Luisangel Acuna (MLB-20). Due in 2024
#18 Maximo Acosta (A-20). Due in 2025
rbtexan
S
Rangers Top 30 prospects include:

Justin Foscue #5
Luisangel Acuna #7
Maximo Acosta #18
Thomas Saggese #19
Gleider Figuereo #20
Jonathon Ornelas #21
Danyer Cueva #27

You can also add Cam Cauley to the list, he's ranked just outside the top 30. I'd say we've got plenty to spare.
Jimbo Franchione
DallasAg 94
Cauley (19) hit .209 @ A ball. How much trade value do you think he has?

Saggese (AA-20): 51 G @ 2B, 32 @ 3B. Young and at AA. Is he more of a 3B or 2B?

Figuero (A-18) - ETA 2026: 32 G @ 3B, 9 @ DH, 0 @ MIF. Looks like he is playing 3B.

Ornelas (MLB-22): 86 Games @ SS, 29 Games @ 3B . .299, 14 HR
From his prospect profile: "He also has seen action at third base, second base and shortstop this season and may have a future as a utilityman. "

Cueva (A-18) - Signed 1/2021. ETA 2025: 40 G @ SS, 11 @ 2B. 2025 is a long way away. Good chance he has a strong future at MIF, but doesn't quite have a resume. How much trade value has he projected?

Don't get me wrong... we have some talent and some depth. But, 2025 & 2026, you're looking well into the contracts of Seager and Semien.

I'm looking at guys we traded for like Hauver, Solak, Ezequiel Duran, Josh Smith, Andy Ibanez, along with Calhoun. Guys that were brought in to challenge Odor at 2B. Guys who ended up shuffling to 3B and LF.
rbtexan
S
The overarching point is that we have plenty of minor league depth to trade. Where those players wind up playing position-wise is irrelevant. A couple of the teams with pitching to trade (Marlins & Brewers) are sorely lacking in players with offensive potential. I didn't even touch on some of the other players we could part with pretty easily and not gut the system, even some pitching prospects (Avery Wheems & Zac Kent for example).

We're not going to wow anybody with any single player....it's going to take a number of them bundled together to be able to pull off that type of trade. There's only a couple of minor league position players I would consider untouchable (Evan Carter clearly). We may have to include a couple that sting, like Duran.
Jimbo Franchione
bmac_aggie18
AG
Y'all don't see Taylor Hearne in the Starting 5?
alvtimes
If you think you are trading surplus MIF for anything you should check other teams top 30 also….. take the Marlins for instance they have like 10-15 infielders in their top 30.
AgBQ-00
AG
Winter meetings are going on this week right?
MrCoachEricTaylor
I believe so
KT 90
AG
Mets start off the Winter Meetings with a deal with Verlander.

docb
AG
Loved having JV in Houston but at 40 years old I don't think it was a bad decision not to pursue him harder.
Jet Black
Nm
MrCoachEricTaylor
Gonna be real nice not having him in our division, much less conference.
wbt5845
AG
Bye Felicia
Mr Gigem
AG
Trea Turner to the Phillies. 11/300
Mr Gigem
AG
Carlos Rodon, come on down

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/12/rangers-rumors-carlos-rodon-meeting-after-jacob-degrom.html
vander54
S
Mr Gigem said:

Carlos Rodon, come on down

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/12/rangers-rumors-carlos-rodon-meeting-after-jacob-degrom.html

Would be a great staff if we land both. Then trade for a strong RP and we are golden.
gigem1223
So we're in on Rodon, Senga and Heaney? CY is serious as hell about making this a winning ball club asap.
alvtimes
andrew heaney to rangers???????
gigem1223
Heaney it is
alvtimes
gigem1223 said:

Heaney it is

Crazy!!!!! Do we like this or no??? My initial take is a more expensive Ragans.
gigem1223
Sounds like a 2 year deal with an opt out. Perfect bridge, in theory, to all the young arms due to come up in the next several years. Also much cheaper then Rodon and gives us a solid 4 or 5 with potential (based off last year) to be a 2 or 3.
gigem1223
$12.5MM aav + $6MM in incentives is a reasonable deal.
Legal Custodian
AG
So our rotation (as it stands on December 6th):

1. deGrom
2. Gray
3. Perez
4. Heaney
5. Odorizzi

I would say we've definitely improved our rotation. This moves Dunning as the 6th starter/Long reliever which is a decent option. I would like 1 more set-up guy and an outfielder. Or honestly just someone we can count on to get on base.
gigem1223
Lots of smoke around Dunning/ Otto potentially being trade pieces for a player like Reynolds. I would also think Ragans/ Otto/ Dunning may have just a good a shot as odorizzi at that 5th spot. IMO Otto was pretty solid last year (at least compared to Odorizzi).
investorAg83
AG
I shudder to think what the Pirates would demand for Reynolds but I would LOVE to see him in Ranger blue.
gigem1223
Trying to make heads or tails of this signing. But There's still reports out there that we're still in on Rodon. If true, maybe they're looking at Heaney for more of a closer type role? With his ridiculous k%, may be a great fit for him.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
I like the deal for Heaney. He's had some bad years recently but kind of reclaimed his mojo last year. Went 4-4 in 14 GS with a 3.10 ERA and a 1.087 WHIP. I saw a feature on him during the season where he figured out his release point or something last off season that helped him improve his effectiveness. He's got a great curveball if I remember correctly.

ETA an ERA+ of 136 last season is pretty salty.
gigem1223
First draft lottery tonight. Rangers with a 5.5% chance to land the #1 pick.
Mr Gigem
AG
One or more those pitchers could easily go down for an extended period, so it's good to have depth. Let's go get Rodon. Heaney/Odorizzi could be moved to the pen

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.