*****Official 2022 Rangers Off-Season Thread*****

109,483 Views | 1323 Replies | Last: 12 mo ago by Mr Gigem
KNM2020
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
vander54 said:

One more solid starter and we are in a very good spot.
Maybe very unrealistic as it has always seemed like one or the other.. but what if we paired Degrom and Rodon this offseason
jtstanley4621
AG
Blown away that we signed him. Not gonna lie him being 34 with a history of injuries makes me a bit queasy about it but that's a splash without a doubt
Mr Gigem
AG
From the Astros thread

Quote:

Maybe I think this way because he's in the NL and I don't see him all that much but I'm not a big fan of DeGrom.

Doesn't really love the needle for me and especially at $37mm per.

No way anybody actually thinks that. The Rangers a ToTR starter at a bargain and they know.

SALT
rbtexan
S
"We don't make that deal with JD still here. No way"

I don't think this can be overstated...this is CY's show now.
Jimbo Franchione
Mr Gigem
AG
DeGrom
Perez
Gray
Odorizzi
???
vander54
S
You know it was a good signing when Astros fans have to come over here and try to talk smack.
World's worst proofreader
DeangeloVickers
AG
PatriotAg02
AG
vander54 said:

You know it was a good signing when Astros fans have to come over here and try to talk smack.

Yep

[We have removed the trolling posts and if we have to remove any more the poster will get a ban. -Staff]
alvtimes
please stay healthy!
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Looking at the most recent tweets about deGrom on twitter is fun. A whole lot of bitter Mets fans.
jtstanley4621
AG
I will say it's pretty surprising how the Rangers have been big spenders the past two off-seasons. They haven't changed owners and previously they would like never spend money. Could be because the team was much worse in previous years but I also think it just underscored how useless JD was towards the end of his tenure
duck79
AG
If healthy, how good can he be? Top 5 in MLB? I haven't followed him much.
vander54
S
duck79 said:

Widely believed to be #1 when healthy.
World's worst proofreader
duck79
AG
Awesome. Thanks. I knew he was good, didn't realize that good.
investorAg83
AG
KNM2020 said:

vander54 said:

One more solid starter and we are in a very good spot.
Maybe very unrealistic as it has always seemed like one or the other.. but what if we paired Degrom and Rodon this offseason

It's not that crazy. This was an excerpt from a chat transcript where someone asked about the possibility of signing DeGrom AND Judge…could easily sub Rodon for Judge in this answer.

It's a fair question, and there's no real reason they can't. I know people are still kind of reeling from seeing the Rangers sign Seager AND Semien last winter, but the reality is that their current 2023 payroll projection is around $140MM, and the luxury bill is only at $156MM. So they're nowhere near the luxury tax, and even Judge wouldn't get them there. Hell, Judge AND deGrom would barely get them to luxury territory.

The main reason it's not talked about much is the simple fact that the Rangers desperately need starting pitching. But... if they wanted to shock baseball by signing Judge, emptying the farm for Corbin Burnes and Pablo Lopez, etc. ... I'm obviously not saying it's likely, but it's also not entirely out of the realm of feasibility or anything.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I don't think anybody knows what these guys may be willing to do. Sure makes it clear JD was the guy controlling the purse strings and deciding to do nothing.
rbtexan
S
Quincey P. Morris said:

I don't think anybody knows what these guys may be willing to do. Sure makes it clear JD was the guy controlling the purse strings and deciding to do nothing.
Makes me wonder if JD suffered from paralysis by analysis. Fretting over the potential downside of big signings and either missing the window of opportunity or underestimating the $$$ amount needed to close the deal. Maybe he just never got over the Fielder debacle.

The only thing for sure is that CY will swing for the fences, while JD was content with bunt singles. Metaphorically speaking of course.
Jimbo Franchione
jtstanley4621
AG
vander54 said:

duck79 said:

Widely believed to be #1 when healthy.

By a large margin. Pretty sure he's tops in K rate in baseball and has one of the lowest walk rates to. Unfortunately him being healthy for previous year has been a big if
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
rbtexan said:

Quincey P. Morris said:

Makes me wonder if JD suffered from paralysis by analysis. Fretting over the potential downside of big signings and either missing the window of opportunity or underestimating the $$$ amount needed to close the deal. Maybe he just never got over the Fielder debacle.

The only thing for sure is that CY will swing for the fences, while JD was content with bunt singles. Metaphorically speaking of course.

I was thinking earlier that I think JD felt burned by the Fielder deal and lost his mojo.
Legal Custodian
AG
Love how the astro fans are laughing at how much money we are spending when we are still league average when it comes to payroll. We are vastly improving our team, still have tons of payroll to use if we want to get really serious, and then you add in the fact that we have gone from 24th in farm rankings to 6th in two years.

#KeepBuilding

It's why I've always thought they are most like longhorn fans, it's uncanny.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Legal Custodian said:

Love how the astro fans are laughing at how much money we are spending when we are still league average when it comes to payroll. We are vastly improving our team, still have tons of payroll to use if we want to get really serious, and then you add in the fact that we have gone from 24th in farm rankings to 6th in two years.

#KeepBuilding

The thread that got posted on Liucci's bored is comical with Astros fans.
alvtimes
LeagueCityAg
AG
Quincey P. Morris said:

Legal Custodian said:

#KeepBuilding

And it got taken down. Funny that all the World Series threads were allowed to stay up.
Legal Custodian
AG
jdot said:

Quincey P. Morris said:

Legal Custodian said:

#KeepBuilding

And it got taken down. Funny that all the World Series threads were allowed to stay up.
Eh, it was the world series, I guarantee we'll have one up there should we get there. That thread shouldn't have been on Billy's page and I'm surprised it stayed up there as long as it did.
DeangeloVickers
AG
https://www.pitcherlist.com/player/jacob-degrom/

Love this site....check out his pitches.
LeagueCityAg
AG
Love the move, time to get Rodon. It feels good to be excited about Rangers baseball again!
AgBQ-00
AG
This news makes me happy
David Murphey 2013
AG
Houston fans make me laugh. I grew up closer to DFW and therefore followed all their teams as a kid... Never heard one comment about Houston or any Houston sports team.

In my 9 years in Houston now, I can't believe how often I hear absolutely hateful comments about any and all Dallas or "Southern Oklahoma" teams.
AgBQ-00
AG
Same experience when I got to a&m. Turned me off from ever pulling for any Houston teams. Hateful envious fan bases
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Yep. The Chronicle is a constant propaganda machine with "Why you should hate the Rangers/Cowboys/etc."
Schall 02
AG
"Since the start of 2021, deGrom has a 1.90 ERA. He has a 1.60 FIP. He has struck out 248 of 563 batters faced, and has walked just 19.

Just 19 walks!!"

https://www.lonestarball.com/2022/12/2/23490888/trying-to-think-about-the-degrom-signing
Legal Custodian
AG
David Murphey 2013 said:

Houston fans make me laugh. I grew up closer to DFW and therefore followed all their teams as a kid... Never heard one comment about Houston or any Houston sports team.

In my 9 years in Houston now, I can't believe how often I hear absolutely hateful comments about any and all Dallas or "Southern Oklahoma" teams.
Same here. I lived in Houston for 5-6 years after A&M for work. The first monday after an NFL Sunday I went into the office and talked to one of the guys who was a Texans fan saying "Hey, Texans looked pretty good yesterday!". You know, making small talk or whatever. Guy responded, "Yeah, Cowboys sure didn't though, huh!?"

Same thing with the astros and rockets fans. Made me realize how much Houston hates everything to do with the Metroplex and is constantly looking for validation from us. Something in the water I guess.

Makes me think of this scene.

?a463872

Leander - Ag
AG
David Murphey 2013 said:

Inferiority complex
beatlesphan
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

Same experience when I got to a&m. Turned me off from ever pulling for any Houston teams. Hateful envious fan bases

Exact same experience for me too
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
cmiller00
AG
Yet JD signed Corey Seager and Marcus Semien just last year.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.