*****Official 2022 Rangers Off-Season Thread*****

109,469 Views | 1323 Replies | Last: 12 mo ago by Mr Gigem
Proposition Joe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is great news.
Proposition Joe
jtstanley4621 said:

Mr. Gigem is a good poster and member of this thread, but gotta be honest dude this being the ultimate "big news" is IMO quite lame. When you first posted I thought it was going to be a FA signing.

Eh, if you were expecting big news about a big free agent signing on TexAgs 2 days before it happens with zero beat writers even hinting at it a deal possibly being in place much less a specific press release date... That's kind of on you.

All Star Game is a big deal for the organization.
KT 90
AG
I've only been to one All-Star game and HR derby, and that was actually in St. Louis back in 2009 I believe. Hamilton played in the game and Nelson Cruz made the finals of the HR Derby that year.

Tickets will be expensive, but it's a unique event and if you get the chance, GO. Take your kid if you can. If they do it like they did in St. Louis, there will be a All-Star village type setup outside the stadium with all sorts of interactive stuff and the kids have a big time. My oldest was only 8 or 9 at the time, but he still remembers all the stuff from back then (didn't hurt that he managed to get a Hamilton autograph as well).

There will be plenty of fans from all over, almost all of them hard-core type fans that love the game Despite the them the root for, they are looking to talk baseball with someone while having a beverage or so Some will have pins from all of the all-star games they have been to over the years, and they will have a bunch of them.

But yeah, the tickets will be pricey. I was fortunate enough to get a hookup back when I went. Still spent a lot of money... but worth it.
jtstanley4621
AG
Proposition Joe said:

jtstanley4621 said:

Mr. Gigem is a good poster and member of this thread, but gotta be honest dude this being the ultimate "big news" is IMO quite lame. When you first posted I thought it was going to be a FA signing.

Eh, if you were expecting big news about a big free agent signing on TexAgs 2 days before it happens with zero beat writers even hinting at it a deal possibly being in place much less a specific press release date... That's kind of on you.

All Star Game is a big deal for the organization.

Are you telling me Texags DOESNT know things??
vander54
S
Mr Gigem said:

Allow me to update my OP then.

Rangers to 2024 All-Star game and home run derby. Such a bummer.

Astros fans would be hyped if it was at Minute Maid

I think this is great news
World's worst proofreader
Tobias Funke
AG
I lived in Cincinnati when they hosted the ASG a few years ago. It was a tremendous boon for the area, a really fun week downtown, and the Home Run Derby was maybe the most unexpected fun I've ever had at a sporting event.

The ballpark not being in downtown Dallas makes this announcement not QUITE as exciting, but it's still a really great event.
Mr Gigem
AG
Tobias Funke said:

I lived in Cincinnati when they hosted the ASG a few years ago. It was a tremendous boon for the area, a really fun week downtown, and the Home Run Derby was maybe the most unexpected fun I've ever had at a sporting event.

The ballpark not being in downtown Dallas makes this announcement not QUITE as exciting, but it's still a really great event.
If the ASG was in downtown Dallas, it would be a disaster. A nightmare of epic proportions.

Tobias Funke
AG
I disagree.

Why do you say that? Were you also opposed to them building Globe Life in Dallas?
DallasAg 94
Tobias Funke said:

I disagree.

Why do you say that? Were you also opposed to them building Globe Life in Dallas?
If you were in Dallas during those days, you'd realize it was more about the journey than the destination.

Dallas could have kept FC Dallas downtown, brought Cowboys Stadium downtown... and that likely brings in the Rangers.

Instead, Frisco took advantage of their incompetence and brought FC Dallas, Frisco RoughRiders, the Dallas Stars HQ, and the Cowboys HQ.

Dallas is a disaster and they are just now starting to clean up Fair Park.
wbt5845
AG
The Rangers have always been Tarrant County's team. We only go the Cowboys recently.

Dallas could screw up a wet dream.
AgBQ-00
AG
Awesome. Will be looking forward to the festivities!
Blanco Jimenez
AG
I live 6 hours from Arlington and I'm going to do my best to get there for this. This is huge for the organization and hopefully by 2024, we have a team that folks are excited about.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Same here. I don't live as far away (about 3 hours) but I plan to be there. I told my 12 year old yesterday to start saving her pocket change so we can afford tickets.
Jimmy McNulty
AG
This doesn't excite me at all. However, when I was a kid, I would have LOVED the chance to go the ASG in our home ballpark. I wish my oldest (4) would be old enough then to really care about it, but he won't be.
rbtexan
S
About to commit the cardinal sin here and make back-to-back posts, but totally separate topics, so...

RE: the all-star game, and why it doesn't excite me. It used to. Being an old, I remember when the all-star game was the only opportunity you might have to see a lot of the star players. There was the game of the week, I think on NBC, and it seems like ABC would show a game during the week, but that was it. When I was young, the only time I ever saw players like Rod Carew, Billy Williams, Nolan, Kent Tekulve, etc. play was in an all-star game...that was a big deal to me as a kid.

Now the games are everywhere, and I can watch any player I want at any time. For me, it took the luster completely off what is otherwise a completely irrelevant game.

I totally get that this is a "me" thing, I think if people love it (which they obviously do) they should enjoy it to the max. Just trying to give my take on why it just doesn't matter to me anymore, because comparatively it used to so much.
Jimbo Franchione
rbtexan
S
On a baseball note, the Rangers have 5 arb eligible players they'll have to deal with in the next week. I think one or even two of those players might be gone shortly, to free up roster spots.

The 5 are Brett Martin, Taylor Hearn, Jonathon Hernandez, Mitch Garver, and Nathaniel Lowe. I think Martin and/or Hearn could be gone, but it wouldn't surprise me terribly if Garver goes as well, with the team having Heim and Huff.

Will be interesting to see what happens.
Jimbo Franchione
Mr Gigem
AG
It not shock me to see all 5 of them stay
rbtexan
S
I agree, wouldn't surprise me either way. Just a possibility I thought I'd throw out there.
Jimbo Franchione
toucan82
I'm the same way about watching it on TV but think it would be cool to go to (especially if you have kids who like baseball)
DallasAg 94
We are full @40. This is the problem with a diluted talent roster. You've got too many players with question marks and high hopes.

If we don't get below 40 we won't be eligible to pick a Rule V player when the draft happens.

We have a ton of trash we need to cull.

Garver (32): A3 <- I don't see him being on the team leaving ST

Both of these guys will be on the team leaving ST
Lowe (27): A1 but has 4yrs of Arb
Hernandez (26): A1

Both have A4s. I'd say they are 50/50 leaving ST on the 25 +/-.
Martin (28): A2
Hearn (28): A2

If all 5 are on the team leaving ST, 2023 is another rebuilding year.
Mr Gigem
AG
Couldn't they get a deal now to avoid arb and still be traded?
DallasAg 94
I've given commentary to the SP.

Now, let's look at RP, now that the 40 is set for Rule V.

To recap. We have 22 P on the 40. 8 I consider SPs
SP (L): Perez, Hearn, Ragans
SP (R): Gray, Odorizzi, Dunning, Otto, Howard

3 SPs not likely on 25+/-
Winn (22), Owen White (22), Vanasco (23)

That leaves 11 in the RP Camp
RP (L): King (27), Burke (25), Martin (27)
RP (R): Sborz (28), Leclerc (28), Alexy (24), Hernandez (25), Snyder (25), Barlow (26), Yerry Rodriguez (24)

The 3 bolded are the only ones in 2022 that had below a 3.00 ERA.

If you are a Top SP... you want RP that don't allow inherited runners to score. You also want a BP that will close out games.

We need at least 3 RPs including a Closer. Add a Top SP and an OF, and we need to cull at least 5 players.

A rotation of: <Insert new SP>, Perez, Gray, Odorizzi, <Pick one from above>
DallasAg 94
Mr Gigem said:

Couldn't they get a deal now to avoid arb and still be traded?
Yes.

That is why I phrased it the way I did. They likely get a deal beit through the Arb process or before.

But, IMO, it is not likely they leave Spring Training (ST) with the team. They likely get traded.
Mr Gigem
AG
Let's go get Cody Bellinger
gigem1223
Just looked at his numbers. Didn't realize he'd fallen off so badly. Wonder what's up with him?
alvtimes
Hells lets blow the Angels doors off for Shohei,/ Winn, Foscue Ragans and Acuna and Dunning. Then go get Rodon
Shohei, Rodan, Gray, Perez, Aj alexy or whoever
rbtexan
S
Here's a trade I would seriously consider pursuing. Hear me out.

The Marlins are extremely deep in pitching, very thin in offense. They have indicated recently they are willing to listen to offers for Sandy Alcantra. He's 27 and has 5 years of control, 4 @ $14M and an option for $21M.

If I'm the Rangers, I offer Adolis Garcia, Dustin Harris, Justin Foscue, Jonathan Ornelas and Cole Winn/Cole Ragans, and maybe throw in a little of the cash the Braves sent us.

I love Adolis, and would hate to lose him, but....he's 30 and Evan Carter is the future. In addition, I think Garcia would be an appealing player for the Marlins from a marketing standpoint....his personality & playing style, in that market, with him being Cuban? Huge PR win for them.

That's the first pitcher I'd kick the tires on as far as trades go, because he has so much control remaining and is an absolute stud. Another guy I'd take a run at is Corbin Burnes.
Jimbo Franchione
DallasAg 94
Mr Gigem said:

He could be a rebound player... but he could also be done.

Here is some history:
https://www.prospectslive.com/prospects-live/2022/10/20/the-downfall-and-possible-resurrection-of-cody-bellinger

J.P. 03
AG
Sounds like we should be betting on Tampa for players like this from now on.
DallasAg 94
J.P. 03 said:

Sounds like we should be betting on Tampa for players like this from now on.
Tampa will sign him for 3yr/$15M and he'll return to being an MVP and then in yr3 NYY will trade for him and give Tampa two Cy Young SPs and a WS MVP.
investorAg83
AG
Mr Gigem said:

The second I saw he was non-tendered I was all on board. He's shown the ability to be great. Maybe a change of scenery is all he needs.
Danny Vermin
Bringing back Mike Maddux as pitching coach.
rbtexan
S
Danny Vermin said:

Confirmed? Outstanding hire if true, he was my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choice.
Jimbo Franchione
gigem1223
rbtexan said:

Danny Vermin said:

Confirmed? Outstanding hire if true, he was my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choice.

It's confirmed, along with Dayton Moore coming in as an advisor.
rbtexan
S
That's a great couple of hires. Moore did a really good job with the Royals.
Jimbo Franchione

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.