Trevor Bauer suspended for 324 games

14,286 Views | 92 Replies | Last: 6 days ago by 10andBOUNCE
BohunkAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Starting today...without pay.

Ag4life80
AG
hmmm, I wonder what would happen if he went and pitched overseas, and ended up with an arm injury ???
Red Five
AG
So he is suspended without pay for 2 years despite never being charged with a criminal offense and having the original request for a restraining order denied? He seems like a dick but I hope he sues MLB for the full 2 years of salary plus damages. Rob Manfred is a clown.
Not a Bot
AG
The labor agreement gives MLB the authority to go outside the bounds of law to determine bad conduct. Unfortunately in this case the standard seemed to be the allegation and appearance. MLB likely believes it taints the image of the league to have him on the mound, rightly or wrongly. My guess is he eventually gets this suspension reduced.
gtaggie_08
AG
Considering the longest previous ban was 1 year and he's already been out of baseball for a year on admin leave, I don't see how this flies. Yes he's been getting paid but no criminal charges were filed and the restraining order was overturned. He's prevailed every time actual evidence was needed to support claims
BCSWguru
Seems like this will encourage more people to bring claims against players.
htxag09
AG
Red Five said:

So he is suspended without pay for 2 years despite never being charged with a criminal offense and having the original request for a restraining order denied? He seems like a dick but I hope he sues MLB for the full 2 years of salary plus damages. Rob Manfred is a clown.
This is a pretty poor take, IMO. MLB is a business and has it's own set of bylaws and rules, they aren't governed by the same manners or requirements of a criminal court. If all this were to happen to you, do you think you wouldn't lose your job?

Not saying I agree with the MLB's decision, just pointing out that innocence in a criminal court does not mean you're entitled to keep your job or exempt from possible repercussions at your job.
AustinCountyAg
htxag09 said:

Red Five said:

This is a pretty poor take, IMO. MLB is a business and has it's own set of bylaws and rules, they aren't governed by the same manners or requirements of a criminal court. If all this were to happen to you, do you think you wouldn't lose your job?

Not saying I agree with the MLB's decision, just pointing out that innocence in a criminal court does not mean you're entitled to keep your job or exempt from possible repercussions at your job.
you're partially correct IMO,...I get what you're saying, but IMO here is where you have it wrong. I believe only the Dodgers should be allowed to suspend him if they choose, since technically he's an employee of the team, not MLB. MLB does not pay Bauer once cent.

I hate Bauer, but I agree with his lawsuit against MLB.

.It is like if a teacher in TX is accused of saying something in class and the district chooses to fire the teacher even though their is no evidence of it happening besides a student saying it did, they have that right. However, the state can't take away their teaching certificate or ability to be employed by another district because of that accusation.
BMX Bandit
its not like the teacher situation at all.

Bauer is in the MLBPA which has agreed with MLB to allow league to suspend players, not just teams.

that said, this 2 years seems absurd based on what we know. he will fight it and my guess is that is gets reduced a lot
wangus12
AG
Quote:

It is like if a teacher in TX is accused of saying something in class and the district chooses to fire the teacher even though their is no evidence of it happening besides a student saying it did, they have that right. However, the state can't take away their teaching certificate or ability to be employed by another district because of that accusation.
I want to say this is wrong because I think even on the district level schools can get teacher's certificate suspended or withdrawn to where they can't teach. They threatened my wife with it when she was leaving her school district in the middle of the year.
DannyDuberstein
AG
He's a dbag but the length of this suspension is ridiculous given this case went nowhere
Memphis 7
wangus12 said:

Quote:

It is like if a teacher in TX is accused of saying something in class and the district chooses to fire the teacher even though their is no evidence of it happening besides a student saying it did, they have that right. However, the state can't take away their teaching certificate or ability to be employed by another district because of that accusation.
I want to say this is wrong because I think even on the district level schools can get teacher's certificate suspended or withdrawn to where they can't teach. They threatened my wife with it when she was leaving her school district in the middle of the year.

Well yeah, she was breaking her contract. I think the district does have the right in that case but I think it's rarely done.
AustinCountyAg
wangus12 said:

Quote:

yes, it can happen. But not in a he said/she said situation with no evidence
AustinCountyAg
BMX Bandit said:

its not like the teacher situation at all.

Bauer is in the MLBPA which has agreed with MLB to allow league to suspend players, not just teams.

that said, this 2 years seems absurd based on what we know. he will fight it and my guess is that is gets reduced a lot
I get what you're saying about MLB having the authority to suspend him, but you missed my point. My point was since he technically hasn't been proven guilty with anything MLB was overstepping their authority by the large suspension. If the Dodgers wanted to do that, more power to them, but IMO in his situation with him not actually breaking any laws MLB should not suspend him.
BMX Bandit
whether they should or not is up for debate. but they clearly can. you claimed they didn't have that ability since not employee. thats not correct.
TXAggie2011
AG
Whether he broke a policy in such a way to warrant a suspension of a particular length is a completely different matter than who has authority to suspend him from his job.

MLB absolutely has the authority to issue suspensions. And sufficient cause for suspension has never been and will never be whether the conduct resulted in criminal charges, yet alone a criminal conviction.

AustinCountyAg
BMX Bandit said:

whether they should or not is up for debate. but they clearly can. you claimed they didn't have that ability since not employee. thats not correct.
that's not what I said
. . .
DannyDuberstein
AG
Nearly 2 year suspension for freaky deaky sex.
bigcat22
AG
The guy is a ******, but when the victim posts this video of the morning after then deleges it, it's hard to disagree with his version of the story

n_touch
bigcat22 said:

The guy is a ******, but when the victim posts this video of the morning after then deleges it, it's hard to disagree with his version of the story

Wasn't there more than one encounter? Hard to say which one this one was from.
BMX Bandit
AustinCountyAg said:

BMX Bandit said:

that's not what I said

It's exactly what you said

Quote:

IMO here is where you have it wrong. I believe only the Dodgers should be allowed to suspend him if they choose, since technically he's an employee of the team, not MLB. MLB does not pay Bauer once cent.
Aggies2009
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Nearly 2 year suspension for freaky deaky sex.
A 2 year suspension for freaky sex with the wrong woman who thinks it's okay to defame someone when she's bitter about not getting a relationship.

And because he plays a sport that has a commissioner who thinks he's some sort of Jesus figure when in reality he's a spineless piece of *****
Faustus
https://www.yahoo.com/news/trevor-bauer-play-major-league-190834259.html

Quote:

Will Trevor Bauer play Major League Baseball again? What executives around the league are saying

Trevor Bauer became a free agent on Thursday, but the market will be a lot more hostile toward the 2020 National League Cy Young Award winner than it was two winters ago, when Bauer signed a three-year, $102-million deal with the Dodgers after turning down a lucrative offer from the New York Mets.

"The only guy who I know for sure would sign him is Al Davis," one high-ranking major league executive said, referring to the renegade Oakland Raiders owner who relished his organization's bad-boy image right up until his death in 2011.

Bauer was designated for assignment last Friday, the Dodgers choosing to sever ties with the right-hander and swallow the remaining $22.5 million on his contract rather than face the potential public backlash of retaining him.

The Dodgers were unable to trade Bauer by Thursday, the end of a seven-day window in which they had to deal him, and the embattled pitcher was given his unconditional release.
. . .
The odds of a deal in the week the Dodgers had to trade him were remote considering any team interested in Bauer could sign him for the major league minimum salary of $720,000 and not give up any prospects.
. . .
The Times reached out to 16 front-office executives, most of them team presidents and general managers, to see whether they had any interest in signing Bauer, who went 8-5 with a 2.59 ERA in 17 starts with the Dodgers in 2021 but hasn't pitched in a professional game in 19 months.
. . .
Of the 11 who responded, seven were a hard "no," one said, "I doubt it," one said, "We are probably out," and two declined to comment altogether, with one of those executives saying, "I'm not touching that topic."

But that doesn't necessarily mean MLB has seen the last of Bauer, who has an 83-69 career record and 3.79 ERA in 10 big league seasons and won his Cy Young Award with the Cincinnati Reds in the pandemic-shortened 2020 season.

"He's so affordable, I wouldn't be surprised if somebody does sign him and weathers the storm for spring training and the first two weeks of the season and then hopes it kind of dies down," said one GM who was granted anonymity to speak freely about the situation.

"Maybe it's not spring training [that Bauer signs], maybe it's May 1 or June 1, maybe it's more strategically timed for a team to get out of spring training and avoid the early noise, but I'll be surprised if he doesn't play again."
. . .
"I've asked my wife, I've asked the wife [of another team executive], how would you feel if we, as an organization, signed someone with this type of history," another GM said. "The responses were not favorable."

The Houston Astros acquired Roberto Osuna from the Toronto Blue Jays at the trade deadline in 2018 while the closer was serving a 75-game suspension in the wake of his arrest in Toronto for allegedly assaulting his girlfriend.

Osuna went 4-3 with a 2.63 ERA and 38 saves in 2019 for the Astros, who lost a seven-game World Series to Washington, but he missed most of 2020 because of an elbow injury and was let go after the season.

Osuna pitched in Mexico in 2021 and in Japan in 2022, going 4-1 with an 0.91 ERA and 10 saves in 29 games for the Chiba Lotte Marines last season, but he is struggling to find another major league job.
Bauer will likely face similar roadblocks as he attempts to return.

"Obviously," one GM said, "it's a delicate subject."
Of course the LA Times made the Osuna/Astros reference.
AustinCountyAg
I think its BS that he's getting blackballed from the league mainly because he's been outspoken of MLB. All charges have been dropped and their is no reason a team shouldn't sign him. I wish him the best hope and hope he finds a team. You may not like the guy, but he knows pitching and is very scientific about a lot of things. He's kinda like the Bryson Dechambu of baseball.
BMX Bandit
Quote:

mainly because he's been outspoken of MLB.
thats not why he's being blackballed.
AustinCountyAg
BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

well then why is he?
jkag89
Because he is a club house cancer. There comes a point where whatever he can bring to a team is outweighed by all his baggage.
Mathguy64
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

well then why is he?
Maybe because no team wants the PR nightmare of a guy who gets his jollies by hooking up with and paying women to let him beat the crap out of them.
AustinCountyAg
I get that but he's a cy young winner who can still pitch. Not to mention what he did was consensual.

There are plenty of other guys in the league who are playing who've done way worse. He shouldn't be banned from baseball just cause he likes rough sex.
jkag89
First of all, he is not banned. He has been a club house cancer everywhere he has gone. Add that to all the negative pub a club will get for claiming him off waivers. There is a point where all teams ask is this player's talent worth all this baggage? This might change as the season progresses but right now all 30 MLB clubs think the answer is nope, he ain't worth it.
DallasAg 94
BMX Bandit
It was consensual according to him.

Who are the players playing that have done worse things and also disliked by their teammates?

I think his punishment was too harsh, glad it was reduced, I don't think he deserves any kind of lifetime ban. But I am not the one writing the checks and having to deal with the backlash from the media and clubhouse.

AustinCountyAg
jkag89 said:

First of all, he is not banned. He has been a club house cancer everywhere he has gone. Add that to all the negative pub a club will get for claiming him off waivers. There is a point where all teams ask is this player's talent worth all this baggage? This might change as the season progresses but right now all 30 MLB clubs think the answer is nope, he ain't worth it.
yes, banned was a bad word on my part. blackballed is better
AustinCountyAg
BMX Bandit said:

It was consensual according to him.

Who are the players playing that have done worse things and also disliked by their teammates?

I think his punishment was too harsh, glad it was reduced, I don't think he deserves any kind of lifetime ban. But I am not the one writing the checks and having to deal with the backlash from the media and clubhouse.

not gunna dive into details, because they are already out there but it was found by the court to be consensual.

The whole "disliked by their teammates" is a BS excuse, especially for a starting pitcher. The pitchers, and position players barely cross paths throughout a day, and a starter can really space out his entire day to avoid everyone damn near if he chooses. That is way overused.

Two players who've done worse things IMO that are still on a roster include:
A. Chapman
M. Ozuna

I'm not saying Bauer isn't a D-Bag, because he clearly is, but the dude can pitch and doesn't deserved to be shunned by the league simply because he's a D-bag and likes rough sex in his personal time. I can guarantee there are plenty of other big leaugers who are just as big a D-bag as Bauer who partake in way worse things in their free time than having consensual rough sex.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.