***** Official 2022 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

5,274,191 Views | 83072 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Harry Dunne
tjack16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

tjack16 said:

I'd like a lineup of this

Altuve - 2B
Pena - SS
Alvarez - LF
Bregman - 3B
Tucker - RF
Brantley - DH
McCormick - CF
Rizzo - 1B
Vasquez - C

Rizzo 8th? Lol

I highly doubt Vazquez is back. Maldy is under contract and we have 2 MLB ready prospects. Money would be better spent elsewhere.

Dusty likes to alternate left/right as much as he can and I dont think you'd bat Rizzo ahead of Brantley or tucker.
txags92
AG
bearkatag15 said:

This team is returning so many pieces
The budget also just got a nice shot in the arm to go get the pieces you are likely to lose. And we still have a bunch of guys in the minors that are waiting for their chance to be the next Pena.
All I do is Nguyen
ttha_aggie_09 said:

I'm not a game of thrones (I think that's what that is) guy

Farmer was making a joke about how my wife made me watch House of the Dragon instead of the ALCS one night
No matter what
Silian Rail
What's the infatuation with Rizzo? He's been fairly mediocre since his days in Chicago, and his OPS+ is barely better than average over the last 3 years. Actually Mancini seems like a better choice given the money we'd likely save, especially if he can recover the 291/364/535 form he had in 2019 pre-diagnosis.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
agdaddy04
AG
Probably because he showed a pulse in the postseason.

Mind you, this is the same thread that was convinced to bench Yuli for Mancini.
Farmer1906
AG
Silian Rail said:

What's the infatuation with Rizzo? He's been fairly mediocre since his days in Chicago, and his OPS+ is barely better than average over the last 3 years. Actually Mancini seems like a better choice given the money we'd likely save, especially if he can recover the 291/364/535 form he had in 2019 pre-diagnosis.

You're going to have define what barely over avg means.

He was 27th overall in wRC+ (very similar stat). The very same 132 as Trey Mancini in 2019 you hope he returns to.
All I do is Nguyen
This was a very good segment to watch
No matter what
Farmer1906
AG
Crane nixed a Urquidy for Contraras trade. While I really wanted a Contraras, 3.5 years of Urquidy is a big price. Knowing what we know now, Im glad we didn't.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/11/astros-owner-nixed-willson-contreras-deal-at-trade-deadline.html

Edit: but things could have been so much easier. Contraras as DH in the postseason could have made things easier.
AggiEE
I'd like to see Yuli back for a cheap deal. Guy is a professional hitter that can have long slumps. Still has a great glove at 1B and a good DH option if required.

He currently has a 7M contract, I wonder if he'll go for $5M. I'd sign him.

Vasquez would be great, but I think we're going to try and do the Pena thing next year and get a prospect rolling.

JV....he's a great luxury to have. Want him back. Think he should come back for the right price/length.

I honestly don't think we need to do much in the way of big signings. You could go after CF or 1B improvements and spend big $$$, but not necessary if you get Brantley back on the cheap. Our lineup is still strong.
Mathguy64
AG
I'm not a big fan of an owner who decides to play GM but in this case (and obviously hindsight is great) it was an unnecessary get. Vazquez was mostly wasted in that he really didn't contribute much but at least it wasn't a huge overpayment.
Chrundle the Great
AG
Article kind of hints at some of the click/dusty strife too. And sounds like crane backed dusty.
Farmer1906
AG
Agreed. Crane is usually very pro going and getting big names at the deadline. It seems like Dusty's influence might have been the difference here.

Edit: Agree with Chrundle too
AggiEE
Shocked that Click was willing to go after Contreras for Urquidy? Massive overpay. You could deal Urquidy and get much better haul in return.

Definitely side with Crane/Dusty, and am extremely surprised Click was so trigger happy on that move. I thought he had a better grasp of value.
Mathguy64
AG
Yeah. This is just another piece of evidence that makes me think Click isn't coming back.
txags92
AG
Chrundle the Great said:

Article kind of hints at some of the click/dusty strife too. And sounds like crane backed dusty.
Sounds like it worked about the way it should. GM went out and found what deal was available to get them a bat, manager and owner talked about it and decided it wasn't a deal they wanted to pull the trigger on. I would hope any deal they make is a 3-way discussion between those guys to make sure it is right for the team.
Ag_07
AG
Vasquez contributed plenty. Maybe not on the stat sheet but that guys has playoff chops and is a dawg.

Think about what the alternatives were and imagine how'd you feel if they were making starts for us in the playoffs, or coming in to PH for Maldy late in a playoff game, or stepping up to DH when needed in the WS.

One of Jason Castro, Korey Lee, or Yanier Diaz would've been the ones being called on in those spots if not for Vasquez.
JB!98
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Several others have said the same thing. I can remember him on Ch 39 with Paul Boesch literally wearing a mattress.

There was a time when you bought from Gallery furniture but you didn't want anyone to know you did. They delivered in unmarked trucks late at night.

My have times changed.
A very good friend of mine came back from working overseas in Bosina, Angola, and Iraq with a boatload of money. (Circa 2004). He bought a BMW 535i convertible, a house, and he needed furniture for the new house. My wife and I went with him to Gallery Furniture to buy a house full of furniture. He told the sales guy he wanted to deal with Mack personally. because he was going to spend, "A lot of Money!" Sure as hell her comes Mack and it was the greatest sales job ever. Just a super nice guy. My brother was with us also and we were talking about it tonight.
MarathonAg12
JB!98 said:

Mathguy64 said:

Several others have said the same thing. I can remember him on Ch 39 with Paul Boesch literally wearing a mattress.

There was a time when you bought from Gallery furniture but you didn't want anyone to know you did. They delivered in unmarked trucks late at night.

My have times changed.
A very good friend of mine came back from working overseas in Bosina, Angola, and Iraq with a boatload of money. (Circa 2004). He bought a BMW 535i convertible, a house, and he needed furniture for the new house. My wife and I went with him to Gallery Furniture to buy a house full of furniture. He told the sales guy he wanted to deal with Mack personally. because he was going to spend, "A lot of Money!" Sure as hell her comes Mack and it was the greatest sales job ever. Just a super nice guy. My brother was with us also and we were talking about it tonight.

Same story. My parents dropped 25k to furnish a new house in Houston.

Mattress Mack called them that night to make sure everything was delivered on time and if there was any issues.
JB!98
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

JB!98 said:

Mathguy64 said:

My have times changed.

Same story. My parents dropped 25k to furnish a new house in Houston.

Mattress Mack called them that night to make sure everything was delivered on time and if there was any issues.
On top of that my buddy told Mack, "And I want all this stuff tonight." Mack said as soon as you pay it will be on the truck. Sure as hell it was there by about 7pm that evening. He still has the leather maroon couches that he bought for his game room to this day.
Kashchei
AG
Just impulse bought yet another championship shirt, because spending a few hundred dollars last night wasn't enough and Christmas is still too far away...
EastCoastAgNc
AG
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Can anyone translate this for someone who doesn't understand the reference/twitter?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Can anyone translate this for someone who doesn't understand the reference/twitter?

This team is one of the top 2 baseball teams in MLB, and the spot the find themselves in is not preceded by the number 2
W
AG
I'm thinking a 1-year $5MM offer to Yuli too.

with the understanding on both sides that he won't be asked or expected to play in 140 games.

be a part-time player at 1B or DH ---- start 80 games or so...get 300 at-bats
W
AG
going back to Rizzo...

would he sign somewhere knowing he would bat 7th or 8th in the order?
The Porkchop Express
W said:

so Gallo hit a massive HR over the batter's eye...when the Rangers were down by 12 runs

just classic
That really is the story of the Rangers' entire franchise.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
Farmer1906
AG
W said:

going back to Rizzo...

would he sign somewhere knowing he would bat 7th or 8th in the order?

There isn't a lineup in baseball where that would be true.
The Porkchop Express
Got up at 7:15 a.m. today to take my daughter to the zoo. About 1 out of every 4-5 people was wearing Astro gear. Bought my daughter a stuffed monkey to take home and in the car she declared that she was naming him Jeremy.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
MarathonAg12
So when do this replica rings hit again. Gimme Gimmie
Chef Elko
AG
2 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS HOUSTON ASTROS
MarathonAg12
Danwell Home said:

2 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS HOUSTON ASTROS

Night gents. We got a parade tomorrow
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Hopefully the parade is streamed somewhere so those of us outside Houston can watch
MarathonAg12
EastCoastAgNc said:

Hopefully the parade is streamed somewhere so those of us outside Houston can watch

We're you able to watch the Buies Creek Astros in North Carolina? I went to a couple games. Watch Seth Beer play. Then went to a few Fayetteville Woodpeckers games. Supporting Houston at the lower levels.
Marvin
AG
Champagne elbow- that's the excuse to use.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
First Page Last Page
Page 2353 of 2374

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.