***** Official 2022 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

5,314,569 Views | 83072 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Harry Dunne
Wabs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
kegstand said:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I would bet my left nut Diaz is in the lineup tonight.

He's 2-6 in his career against Syndergaard, including a 2-run HR last time we played them in July. That shouldn't be enough to justify a start in the face of how awful he's been, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit.
PoppaB05
AG
HarryRocket said:

This is why the Astros farm system stays good and is always undervalued. Everything I've seen/read is that they treat all players in the minors equally and thus coach everybody. This is why we have the Framber/Alvarez/Javier/Garcia/Chaz…… players. Everyone gets the same attention and coaching, not just the Correa/Tucker/Whitley/LMJ guys.
BMX Bandit
clanton is so good at those!

watching it reminded me that there weren't even any "hard outs." usually you see 1-2 great defensive plays in a no-no. closest thing was tucker's catch, which really was not much more than routine.
Boiling Denim
Watching Urquidy then Javier and our bullpen's stuff just makes LMJ's junk even more shockingly bad.

He cannot be allowed to pitch again. He was throwing floaters out there.

Maybe that champagne bottle did some actual damage to that arm
Deluxe
AG
PoppaB05 said:

HarryRocket said:

This is why the Astros farm system stays good and is always undervalued. Everything I've seen/read is that they treat all players in the minors equally and thus coach everybody. This is why we have the Framber/Alvarez/Javier/Garcia/Chaz…… players. Everyone gets the same attention and coaching, not just the Correa/Tucker/Whitley/LMJ guys.
It kinda makes me wonder if we have another Framber or Javier just chillin in A/AA right now that isn't even on the radar for our top 30 prospect list.
Ag_07
AG
Sparky at the end is gold!
kegstand
AG
BMX Bandit said:

clanton is so good at those!

watching it reminded me that there weren't even any "hard outs." usually you see 1-2 great defensive plays in a no-no. closest thing was tucker's catch, which really was not much more than routine.
The line drive from Segura in the 8th that Tucker caught at his waist was the loudest out of the night
texasaggie2015
AG
I am so unbelievably hungover.
Farmer1906
AG
kegstand said:

Ragnar Danneskjoldd said:

All I do is Nguyen said:

JV better not use his breaking stuff tonight except in VERY limited points where it is necessary. The phillies cannot hit the fastball it appears, so we need to use and abuse that.
i need some expert analysis of this.

I know Javier's fastball doesnt move much and people describe it as much harder to hit than other 4 seamers.
What makes Javier's fastball so unhittable is tunneling. He uses the same release point and same path for his fastball as his slider, and when he's on he can paint the corners like nobody's business with it.
100% tunneling is a big factor, but there is something else to it too.

2020 Article on the "Invisiball"

Quote:

A popular way to describe Javier's four-seam fastball is as an "invisiball," the name his teammates took to calling the pitch last year. Perhaps the most unique pitcher in Houston's farm system, Javier has a rare combination of deception in his delivery from his low three-quarters arm slot and backspin on his fastball to throw it by hitters despite his pedestrian velocity.

More importantly, hitters likely aren't used to seeing the type of fastball movement he generates out of an arm slot as low as his. From his low three-quarters slot, they might expect his fastball to run like a two-seamer yet it rides like a four-seamer. His wrist positioning allows him to stay behind the ball and create backspin, a point of emphasis among the pitching coaches throughout the Astros' organization. Backspin is what creates ride, also known as hop, and the illusion to the hitter that the ball is rising.

"It just holds that line," said Astros catcher Garrett Stubbs, who worked with Javier in Triple A toward the end of last season. "If (his fastball's) at the top of the zone, they're swinging under it. And if it's at the bottom of the zone, they're thinking that it's going to fall out of the zone and be a ball. But it just holds that line at the bottom of the zone."

Looking at his statcast stuff, he's 8th in all of baseball in fastball "rise" vs guys with similar extension and velo. I think that is why so many guys get under his fastball and pop it up. He leads all of baseball (min 250 PA) in launch angle @ 25.4 degrees.
Big Al 1992
AG
Such a great night. Especially after the whole city of Philadelphia thought they had already won a championship after game 3. Our boys know what it takes and are built to close this thing out. JV solidifies his legend tonight. Yordan hits a shot to their silly neon liberty bell.

And we all salute STS for making it happen!
The Milkman
AG
So now that Philly isn't undefeated at home… what's the storyline
concac
AG
Boiling Denim said:

Watching Urquidy then Javier and our bullpen's stuff just makes LMJ's junk even more shockingly bad.

Dude had one bad game. All of sudden people are trashing him.

Ridiculous.
rwpag71
AG
LB12Diamond said:

Nino Brown said:

bearkatag15 said:

****ing dweeb

Tool bag. What awesome unbiased journalism there ESPN

Only second no hitter in WS history. And they are trying to down play it. LOL

I'll ignore these losers.

This reminds me of when my then young son witnessed me getting my only ever Ace. His comment, "What's the big deal? It's only a par 3,"
Farmer1906
AG
RealTalk said:

Boiling Denim said:

Ridiculous.
Agreed, but he may have a point with Urquidy. He kind of has a poor man's Javier heater. Not a ton of velo, but lots of spin and "rise". He just doesn't locate and deceive as well.
All I do is Nguyen
RealTalk said:

Boiling Denim said:

Ridiculous.
As much as I'd love to give LMC a chance to redeem himself, I am honestly hoping he won't have to because we win tonight and sat. Having said that, IF it goes to G7, I believe we can get 4-5 solid, no run innings out of LMC. If he's off again, we get Urquidy up ASAP and let him finish ala CFM
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
RealTalk said:

Boiling Denim said:

Ridiculous.
i agree with this, but there's no reason to throw lmj again. For whatever reason theyre seeing him really well. It wasnt a bad start, it was a career bad start.
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Quote:

More importantly, hitters likely aren't used to seeing the type of fastball movement he generates out of an arm slot as low as his. From his low three-quarters slot, they might expect his fastball to run like a two-seamer yet it rides like a four-seamer. His wrist positioning allows him to stay behind the ball and create backspin, a point of emphasis among the pitching coaches throughout the Astros' organization. Backspin is what creates ride, also known as hop, and the illusion to the hitter that the ball is rising.

I love our organization
EastCoastAgNc
AG
The Milkman said:

So now that Philly isn't undefeated at home… what's the storyline
"neither of these teams has lost back to back games this postseason"
The Milkman
AG
RealTalk said:

Boiling Denim said:

Ridiculous.

He was also awful vs NY
BMX Bandit
speaking of, remember the cliff jumping when Strom left? seems to have worked out fine.
3B Paul 97
AG

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Saw a report this morning that the Astros were denied a catered meal by a Philly caterer. Haven't looked through the entire thread to see if this has already been shared. If true, so much for the "city of brotherly love".
its bigger than that. There's a whole movement in philly to not feed the astros

Don't they have a bunch of uneaten hoagies now?
Cromagnum
AG
Did he really say that?

Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
lol no
Bunk Moreland
Read the bio of that twitter account.
Farmer1906
AG

RealTalk said:

Boiling Denim said:

Ridiculous.
i agree with this, but there's no reason to throw lmj again. For whatever reason theyre seeing him really well. It wasnt a bad start, it was a career bad start.
We have no idea how everyone is going to be feeling in a game 7. Abreu and Montero could go 2 inning each the day before and be used up. Brown could piggyback tonight if JV has a rough outing today. Say Javier can get you 3 then Uruqidy comes in and gets shelled. Then what? Will Smith gunna bridge it to Pressly?

Just look at our own history. Morton got shelled (3.2 IP, 7 ER) similarly to McCullers in game 4 of the CS in '17. He came back and shoved (5.0 IP, 0 ER) in game 7.

There could be plenty of reasons to throw McCullers. He has as much of a track record as a good pitcher and big-game pitcher as anyone.
Farmer1906
AG
The Milkman said:

RealTalk said:

Boiling Denim said:

Ridiculous.

He was also awful vs NY
3 ER over 5 is awful now?
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Farmer1906 said:

RealTalk said:

Boiling Denim said:

Ridiculous.
We have no idea how everyone is going to be feeling in a game 7. Abreu and Montero could go 2 inning each the day before and be used up. Brown could piggyback tonight if JV has a rough outing today. Say Javier can get you 3 then Uruqidy comes in and gets shelled. Then what? Will Smith gunna bridge it to Pressly?

Just look at our own history. Morton got shelled (3.2 IP, 7 ER) similarly to McCullers in game 4 of the CS in '17. He came back and shoved (5.0 IP, 0 ER) in game 7.

There could be plenty of reasons to throw McCullers. He has as much of a track record as a good pitcher and big-game pitcher as anyone.
urquidy only shoves
Silent For Too Long
tremble said:

How many years of control do the Astros have on Javier?

Have to think they might let JV walk and use some of that money to reinforce the team and pay Javier/Framber/Tucker instead.

All our young arms are tied up till at least 2025.

So is Alvarez, Pena, and Tucker. Altuve is a FA in 25 but I feel pretty confident Crane makes sure he retires as an Astros. I think Bregs is a FA in 25, too.

Long story short, our "window" is wide ****ing open.

2 more boys. Let's put '22 in the books
texasaggie2015
AG

This was his last tweet of the night. It's hilarious how much this guy hates the Astros.
gigemJTH12
AG
Ben On Da Top is the most annoying MF'er I swear.

swear that dude thinks he is a part of the team.
rausr
AG
kegstand said:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I would bet my left nut Diaz is in the lineup tonight.

He's 2-6 in his career against Syndergaard, including a 2-run HR last time we played them in July. That shouldn't be enough to justify a start in the face of how awful he's been, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

That's just fan stuff...
Ag_07
AG
And my God Bryan Abreu has become and absolute dominating setup man.

He looked filthy

So glad to see him blossom into a plus plus weapon. He's always had the stuff but now he's got the command and confidence to be great.
Farmer1906
AG
He's been my favorite arm this year. You could see it coming together early in the season. The sky is the limit for him.
Mr.Bond
AG
HTown VS the world. ****em and feed them fish heads boys. Stros in 6
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

DenverAg91
AG

Did anyone else listen to this? I lost brain cells
First Page Last Page
Page 2144 of 2374

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.