***** Official 2022 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

5,314,527 Views | 83072 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Harry Dunne
Wabs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Woke up still fired up! Let's keep it rolling tonight and come back home up 3-2!
GigEmMortis
AG
Take 2 of 3 in Philly and crush their spirit
cap-n-jack
The great titty massacre of '22. They are mostly gone.
GigEmMortis
AG

[If you have a question about the moderation of this forum, please reach out to us. If you would like to schedule some time off, please continue - Texags Staff]
Wabs
AG
cap-n-jack said:

The great titty massacre of '22. They are mostly gone.
Mostly Ranger fans LOL
BeaumontAg05
AG
So for tonight, what are we looking at pitching wise?

Jv - brown available, neris, stanek, guessing montero and pressley could go one? Abreu probably out, who am I missing?

Syndegaard - 3 to 4 innings, then Dominguez is their top guy. How is the rest of their BP availability wise?
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Wabs
AG
BeaumontAg05 said:

So for tonight, what are we looking at pitching wise?

Jv - brown available, neris, stanek, guessing montero and pressley could go one? Abreu probably out, who am I missing?

Syndegaard - 3 to 4 innings, then Dominguez is their top guy. How is the rest of their BP availability wise?
Why no Abreu? Only 1 IP last night. Go with your best tonight and don't **** around.
BCSGrubber
AG
Everyone for the Astros should be available except Framber, Javier, LMJ, and Urquidy

Abreu only threw 15 last night
Prosperdick
AG
Tonight will be very interesting because it will be the first time this entire playoffs that the pressure is squarely on the Phillies. They won the first game against the Cards, Braves, Padres, and of course us so it will be interesting to see how they respond, after a no-hitter no less.
BMX Bandit
the phillies fans not needing their seats because they stand and cheer the entire time was amazing to see. "nfl atmosphere" for sure. reminded me of games over on kirby
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
schwarber look like altuve all roided out
Deluxe
AG
Some morning thoughts:

1) As a sports fan, it's such a gratifying feeling when you identify a potential matchup advantage for your team and it plays out how it "should". Javier's fastball was the Phillies' offense kryptonite that many of us on here anticipated. It was beautiful.

2) If the Phillies had beat LMJ's spin and Javier's fastball back to back nights, tip the cap. They would have deserved to win. Instead, we tied it up 2-2 and made it a best of three with two games at home.

3) Thank god Javier came through last night because it was obvious that it would take our offense a few innings to adjust to Nola's adjustments. It felt like 2017 ALCS game 6 where we were reeling, but JV shut down the Yankees and bought us time to get the bats going.

4) But no one should be surprised that Javier came through (not that anyone is). He's been nails for us in big spots in the playoffs. He saved us in game 4 of the 2021 ALCS. Then he outdueled Cole in game 3 of the ALCS this year to effectively slam the door on the Yankees.

5) For alot of Astros teams of the past, I'd almost prefer we don't throw the no-hitter last night. The job is not done and there's no time for celebration distractions. With that said, I trust this group of guys to stay focused.

6) Javier set the blue print last night for how to attack the Phillies and I think JV can execute it. I wanna see that 2019 JV when he pumped fastballs up and got tons of fly outs. No more crafty JV.

7) If the Phillies are on his fastballs early in the game, gotta get Hunter up asap. The Phillies weren't fooled by any of JV's secondary stuff in game 1 and I don't imagine they will be tonight. If the fastball is effective, let him ride. If it's not, move on quickly.

8) At DH tonight, I'm fine with anyone but Diaz. July Deluxe is giving me an evil stare right now but given that JV might be pitching for fly balls, I'd be fine rolling with Dubon and getting our best defensive OF out there. We're not getting any offensive production from this spot in the lineup anyway.

9) Yordan's swing looked close last night and I wouldn't be surprised if he has a big night tonight.

10) Vazzy is earning his stripes. As Maldy's #1 fan, I'm willing to reach across the aisle here and acknowledge this. I'm guessing Maldy will still start with JV and Framber, but I'd be totally fine getting Vazzy in for Maldy's next AB after those guys are finished. With that said, I think we're in good hands with either guy right now. Catcher is low on the list of problems with this team.
12Power
The way Javier pitched against Yankees and the way McCullers pitched against the Yankees should have been an indicator who should be your number 3 starter. Dusty needs to manage the rest of this series better. Short leashes, even JV.
Wabs
AG
#6 is most important. Blueprint is there for JV, and it happens to be one of his strengths. Need more power JV and way less crafty JV.
Deluxe
AG
12Power said:

The way Javier pitched against Yankees and the way McCullers pitched against the Yankees should have been an indicator who should be your number 3 starter. Dusty needs to manage the rest of this series better. Short leashes, even JV.
Agreed. Part of me wishes there had been another "champagne bottle" incident during the ALCS celebration.
BCSGrubber
AG
Quote:

8) At DH tonight, I'm fine with anyone but Diaz. July Deluxe is giving me an evil stare right now but given that JV might be pitching for fly balls, I'd be fine rolling with Dubon and getting our best defensive OF out there. We're not getting any offensive production from this spot in the lineup anyway.

I have a feeling we will see Dubon tonight too. The only real options to be are Hensley and Dubon. If Dusty wants to go with defense, then it makes sense for Yordan to DH and have Dubon in the 9 hole.

Unless Diaz pull a rib swinging so wildly at those last two pitches that he needs to be removed from the roster...
979ag
AG
Print the shirts!!
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Saw a report this morning that the Astros were denied a catered meal by a Philly caterer. Haven't looked through the entire thread to see if this has already been shared. If true, so much for the "city of brotherly love".
mwm
mwm said:

11/2/22 @ 4:05 pm

To get this series back on a level playing field, we need to kick their collective butts tonight as bad as they kicked ours last night. Take no prisoners!
Last night's mission has been accomplished. What a performance by Javier, et al.

Now, tonight, take the lead.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Saw a report this morning that the Astros were denied a catered meal by a Philly caterer. Haven't looked through the entire thread to see if this has already been shared. If true, so much for the "city of brotherly love".
its bigger than that. There's a whole movement in philly to not feed the astros
Mathguy64
AG
Woke up this morning in an emotional fog. I can't imagine what the Phillies players are dealing with. Going from the game 3 high to getting no hit in 24 hours in the WS has to be one of the biggest rollercoaster I have ever seen for a team.

Farmer said it best. Momentum is just as good as the next game's starting pitcher. It's time for CY level JV to show up.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Ragnar Danneskjoldd said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Wow.

I'd say Houston should treat the Phillies the same, but I'd rather that not happen. Instead, perhaps those caterers in Houston should feed them a bunch of really spicy Tex-Mex. Put a bunch of ghost pepper flakes or something in soup or gravy. Give them a good case of the runs.
tremble
AG
How many years of control do the Astros have on Javier?

Have to think they might let JV walk and use some of that money to reinforce the team and pay Javier/Framber/Tucker instead.
All I do is Nguyen
JV better not use his breaking stuff tonight except in VERY limited points where it is necessary. The phillies cannot hit the fastball it appears, so we need to use and abuse that.
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
BMX Bandit
tremble said:

Have to think they might let JV walk and use some of that money to reinforce the team and pay Javier/Framber/Tucker instead.
this off season is his first year of arbitration. so they have him under control through 2025 when he will be 28.
jkag89
tremble said:

Free Agent 2026, arbitration eligible this off season.
Wabs
AG
It may be JV's last time in an Astros uniform, and by far his most important start as an Astro (maybe even his whole career).
Cromagnum
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Wow.

I'd say Houston should treat the Phillies the same, but I'd rather that not happen. Instead, perhaps those caterers in Houston should feed them a bunch of really spicy Tex-Mex. Put a bunch of ghost pepper flakes or something in soup or gravy. Give them a good case of the runs.

Just introduce them all to purple drank.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

JV better not use his breaking stuff tonight except in VERY limited points where it is necessary. The phillies cannot hit the fastball it appears, so we need to use and abuse that.
i need some expert analysis of this.

I know Javier's fastball doesnt move much and people describe it as much harder to hit than other 4 seamers.
kegstand
AG
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I would bet my left nut Diaz is in the lineup tonight.

He's 2-6 in his career against Syndergaard, including a 2-run HR last time we played them in July. That shouldn't be enough to justify a start in the face of how awful he's been, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit.
kegstand
AG

All I do is Nguyen said:

i need some expert analysis of this.

I know Javier's fastball doesnt move much and people describe it as much harder to hit than other 4 seamers.
What makes Javier's fastball so unhittable is tunneling. He uses the same release point and same path for his fastball as his slider, and when he's on he can paint the corners like nobody's business with it.
mwm
I'd rather not give them "runs". Maybe, the squirts.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
All you'll need is black pepper in that part of the country, bell peppers are too spicy for most Penn
EastCoastAgNc
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 2143 of 2374

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.