***** Official 2022 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

5,327,012 Views | 83072 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Harry Dunne
BMX Bandit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
from contract standpoint, Urquidy and Javiar both arbitration eligible next year. can astros afford both?
redline248
AG
My personal thought is I don't like giving up proven starting pitching when we can't be sure JV will come back and we don't really know what we'll get from Brown. Throw Lance into the unknown category, too.

However, if it gets us a bopper with a couple years of control, or we win in it all this year I'll survive
texasaggie2015
AG
Agreed. Like I said, it's tough and I can see a legitimate argument for any one of those three. I do think Garcia has the most value and I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say a package centered around Garcia could land you someone like Luis Castillo or Bryan Reynolds. And you would still have enough ammunition to go get Josh Bell.
Faustus
W said:

if the Astros trade away Urquidy...then I hope (I assume) the front office is planning to make a hard push to resign JV.

otherwise the front office is placing a really big bet on Lance's health

For next year's promotion Mattress Mack said that customers who spend $3,000 or more on Made in America furniture, a Tempur-Pedic, Stearns & Foster, or Sealy mattress sleep set or power motion furniture, stand to double their purchase if LMJ plays all of the 2023 season and postseason injury free.
tjack16
AG
I think this trade would work for both teams

Jose Siri, Urquidy, decent prospect (like an Alex Santos type) …. for a good bat like Bell, Mullins or Reynolds

You might have to add another prospect but I'd be 100% okay parting with that group of guys if it meant getting one of the 3 big bats
texasaggie2015
AG
I wouldn't trade any of those three guys for a rental. If we move a SP with multiple years of team control, it won't be for a guy who will be a free agent after the season.
astros4545
AG
Game 6 of 2021 ALCS

LuAce Garcia looked as good as any pitcher ever looked in an Astros uniform
BMX Bandit
yep. and my guess is his one more year of team control makes him someone astros want to hold on to.
Farmer1906
AG
astros4545 said:

Game 6 of 2021 ALCS

LuAce Garcia looked as good as any pitcher ever looked in an Astros uniform
That was huge. He got rocked by the White Sox then the Red Sox only to come back and finish off Boston. Braves got him too. Very hit or miss.
Farmer1906
AG
Regardless of which of the 3, what target is good enough to move someone with this much control? Right now, only Reynolds & Castillo make sense. Who else?
texasaggie2015
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Regardless of which of the 3, what target is good enough to move someone with this much control? Right now, only Reynolds & Castillo make sense. Who else?
Juan Soto obviously.

No, but seriously, I think it's one of those guys you mentioned. I'm trying to think of someone that might be going unmentioned.
Ag_07
AG
Urquidy doesn't have the upside Javier and Luis have so of the three he's who I would move.

But again someone has to go and no seller building for a future wants to take Odo off our hands.
MaxPower
Christian Walker. Maybe Murphy. I think it makes sense for Jansen as well.
MaxPower
Farmer1906 said:

If you are giving up Urquidy for Bell then I'd try to expand to get Ruiz. Give them Lee back so they can restart the clock on catcher. Rather have a young backup catcher that has some experience and can hit left handed.
BadAggie
AG
No reason to trade Urquidy for a rental. That's what makes the rumor interesting.
texasaggie2015
AG
MaxPower said:

Christian Walker. Maybe Murphy. I think it makes sense for Jansen as well.
If we trade one of those arms for Christian Walker I will throw myself out of the office window.
texasaggie2015
AG
MaxPower said:

Farmer1906 said:

If you are giving up Urquidy for Bell then I'd try to expand to get Ruiz. Give them Lee back so they can restart the clock on catcher. Rather have a young backup catcher that has some experience and can hit left handed.
Again, if we move on of those three arms, it won't be for a rental like Bell. This would be a bigger deal for a guy who will be under contract for multiple years.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
None of those guys should be involved in a trade for Bell, a rental mediocre defensive first baseman. That deal need to be completed without a major league proven SP
texasaggie2015
AG
I don't think Josh Bell will cost quite as much as people expect.
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I just did a somewhat deep dive of 1B and CF trying to find someone who fits the following criteria:

1) Team control thru at least 2023
2) Plays for a team in sell mode
3) Significant improvement over current 1B/CF
4) I'd be willing to trade Urquidy for

Not many guys fit into that cross section. Reynolds sticks out as the most obvious candidate. Maybe we're more in on Soto than is being led on, but I don't think we have enough disposable prospect capital to make that work. Same with Ohtani (to the extent the Angels are seriously considering dealing him).

I tend to agree that it's Reynolds or Castillo. It's a shame Votto sucks so bad now because he'd otherwise be an interesting addition to a Castillo deal, as it would save the Reds a bit of $$$. The Astros can't take on Votto's old age risk though.
Deluxe
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Yea. Right now, sign me up for Urquidy for Reynolds. Then make the Bell deal happen.
Mathguy64
AG
Click is between a rock and a herd spot here. He is in an unusual position of being a contender with excess starting pitching that he can trade. One could argue it's more than "can" it's "must". Normally that would net a solid return. But everyone knows this and will hold him over a barrel knowing he has to unload someone. Anyone worth their GM job title would be asking for Urquidy, Garcia or Javier plus something else. And none of them will want to touch Odo.

IMHO he's going to end up overpaying for whoever he gets. Not because he is getting fleeced but because of the pitching surplus. It's a very unusual problem.
Farmer1906
AG
One other name I would think about as a potential piece to move out is Pedro Leon. He's a guy who'd net us a big name when paired with a controllable starting arm. We just drafted 2 college outfielders in the first and second round plus a top 100 prospect in the 11th. If that big name is an outfielder it makes even more sense.
BadAggie
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

AggiEE
Mathguy64 said:

Click is between a rock and a herd spot here. He is in an unusual position of being a contender with excess starting pitching that he can trade. One could argue it's more than "can" it's "must". Normally that would net a solid return. But everyone knows this and will hold him over a barrel knowing he has to unload someone. Anyone worth their GM job title would be asking for Urquidy, Garcia or Javier plus something else. And none of them will want to touch Odo.

IMHO he's going to end up overpaying for whoever he gets. Not because he is getting fleeced but because of the pitching surplus. It's a very unusual problem.

He doesn't have to budge. We still need pitching for the next three years and contend.
tylhair
AG
Faustus said:

W said:

if the Astros trade away Urquidy...then I hope (I assume) the front office is planning to make a hard push to resign JV.

otherwise the front office is placing a really big bet on Lance's health

For next year's promotion Mattress Mack said that customers who spend $3,000 or more on Made in America furniture, a Tempur-Pedic, Stearns & Foster, or Sealy mattress sleep set or power motion furniture, stand to double their purchase if LMJ plays all of the 2023 season and postseason injury free.

…injury free, free, free!
EastCoastAgNc
AG
AggiEE said:

Mathguy64 said:

He doesn't have to budge. We still need pitching for the next three years and contend.

We will not win a world series with this offense this year or in the future. He does have to move one because it's the only appealing point of strength in this organization that we would be willing to trade from.
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

AggiEE said:

Mathguy64 said:

We will not win a world series with this offense this year or in the future. He does have to move one because it's the only appealing point of strength in this organization that we would be willing to trade from.
I agree we very likely need to get better, but we can do that without moving Urquidy, Javier, or Garcia.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

AggiEE said:

Mathguy64 said:

Bold statement seeing how THIS offense beat da Jankees in a double header...is it likely, of course not but saying there is no way is again...being obtuse
redline248
AG
Would the Nats tags Siri, Lee and Odo for Bell?
AggiEE
EastCoastAgNc said:

AggiEE said:

Mathguy64 said:

We can win a World Series without making any trades.

Anything can happen in a 7 game series, and sometimes guys just get hot. That's baseball.

We don't need to give away guys with multiple years of control for rentals. Or guys that are merely "grass is greener" types that aren't actually a meaningful upgrade. That's just stupidity.
texasaggie2015
AG
redline248 said:

Would the Nats tags Siri, Lee and Odo for Bell?
Probably not. I don't think Odo/Siri do anything and they're set at catcher.
Farmer1906
AG
The 12 players most likely to be traded

Quote:

1) Willson Contreras, Cubs C
Introducing a new catcher can be tricky for a contender, as it can take a while to learn a new pitching staff. But Contreras is arguably the best bat available on the market, so teams might look to acquire him as a designated hitter and part-time backstop. Either way, the impending free agent seems like a lock to be moved.

Potential landing spots: Astros, Mets, Rays

4) Josh Bell, Nationals 1B
Juan Soto isn't the only Nationals player getting attention on the trade market this summer. Available power bats are relatively scarce this month, but Bell -- an impending free agent who has 13 homers and an .877 OPS should help add some pop to a contender at first base or DH. He's owed roughly $3.3 million through the end of the season.
Potential landing spots: Astros, Brewers, Mets

We're not listed under Castillo or anyone else. Bryan Reynolds is not one of the 12.
texasaggie2015
AG
Quote:

Bryan Reynolds is not one of the 12.
Now I'm convinced we get him.
BMX Bandit
Quote:

We can win a World Series without making any trades.

Anything can happen in a 7 game series, and sometimes guys just get hot. That's baseball.
Sure, we can win one by doing nothing. so can the mariners if everyone gets hot.

but we'd better position ourselves to do so by trading to improve the offense.
First Page Last Page
Page 763 of 2374

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.