***** Official 2022 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

5,102,852 Views | 83072 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Harry Dunne
EastCoastAgNc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Puff Puff Pass
aggielax48
AG
I find it to be a curious move by Seattle. They're 5th in MLB in runs against. Castillo is having a good year and this does makes the M's at least marginally better but they're starter ERA is the same as Castillo's career. Gave up the farm for an incremental increase but didn't address that they're 23rd in MLB in runs scored.
Harry Dunne
That's fine. I hope they trade their entire farm system for him. I don't see any scenario in which he is regularly in the lineup for 150 games and getting 30 starts.

He's amazing, but he's not going to get more durable as he ages. You're going to end up paying for an MVP OF + an CYA SP and getting 2/3 of each if you're lucky. And when he gets hurt, which he will, you lose both those guys at the same time.
Mathguy64
AG
Yep. I said this before about Shohei. When he goes down you are filling two holes. That's two holes with 1 roster spot. It would be like losing Framber and Yordan at the same time. And if it's an arm injury that hole may take a year to 18 months to fill.

He's a great player and a freak but the downside is huge.
Harry Dunne
One part of this which I think we all underestimate is that being a GM is not a lifetime appointment. I think often these moves are made to make a splash and help show immediate improvement which leads to temporary job security.

After all was the point to "the process" if you're going to get fired and someone else is going to reap the fruits of your patience & labor?

Harry Dunne
Yes, 100%.

He's also no Yordan at the plate. He's really really good but more like the Reggie Jackson hit .260 with 40 bombs and whiff a lot classic slugger than a triple crown level Yordan type that can hit for both average and power.
AggiEE
Harry Dunne said:

One part of this which I think we all underestimate is that being a GM is not a lifetime appointment. I think often these moves are made to make a splash and help show immediate improvement which leads to temporary job security.

After all was the point to "the process" if you're going to get fired and someone else is going to reap the fruits of your patience & labor?

The best GMs, like the best investors, need to know when it's better just to stay put rather than do something rash/bold just because you THINK your strategy needs to change.

As John Bogle used to say, "Don't just do something, idiot, stand there".

I honestly would not be too upset if we make no deal. Our team is WS caliber already. The right deal for the right price? Sure, definitely try and make something happen, but if the deals available are all Castillo levels of overpays - No thanks! I like my Urquidy insurance policy for the next 3 years of club control over a rental.
Marvin
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Get Bell and turn Yuli into a utility infielder.

From your lips…
Mathguy64
AG
True. But for us the next closest option would be to say we lose Tucker and to be honest Shohei is a more valuable hitter than Tucker. However maybe losing him as a fielder would make up for it.
Harry Dunne
Agree
EastCoastAgNc
AG
tylhair
AG
Have Josh Bell or Willson Contreras showed up to the pool party yet? Would love to flip them from the Nats and Cubs this weekend. Reel em in Dusty.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Rockies closer, safe to say yes not getting traded. They are clearly hitting the weed to be paying him that much during a rebuild
Bulldog73
AG
Isn't he 37?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Bulldog73 said:

Isn't he 37?

Yep
tylhair
AG
Owner must be close friends with him. Not many other explanations for that deal. Bad teams don't need closers.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
tylhair said:

Owner must be close friends with him. Not many other explanations for that deal. Bad teams don't need closers.

Their ownership is incredibly confusing. Practically gave away arenado, then signed Kris Bryant to a massive contract and now this. They can't make up their minds what they are doing.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Texags the next few days:

EastCoastAgNc
AG

Same lineup
BadAggie
AG
Hmmm. Dubon in CF again. Will be interesting to see what unfolds
tylhair
AG
Chas is getting shopped. Don't want him in the lineup risking injury.
Mathguy64
AG
Something tells me Chas or Jake is on the way out and that's why they aren't playing.
BadAggie
AG
Happ played 56 games in CF last season but only 3 so far this season
BadAggie
AG
Contreras and Happ for Urquidy and _____ ?

EastCoastAgNc
AG
BadAggie said:

I have a feeling urquidy is what the cubs would want just for Contreras, which is incredibly unreasonable. I have a feeling that if they trade for a catcher, it's someone else.
BadAggie
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

BadAggie said:

I have a feeling urquidy is what the cubs would want just for Contreras, which is incredibly unreasonable. I have a feeling that if they trade for a catcher, it's someone else.

Perhaps. Do they get a compensatory draft pick if Contreras leaves in free agency? Otherwise it would seem if they want a return they might have to lessen their expectations
EastCoastAgNc
AG
BadAggie said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

BadAggie said:

Perhaps. Do they get a compensatory draft pick if Contreras leaves in free agency? Otherwise it would seem if they want a return they might have to lessen their expectations

I think this will be his first shot at free agency, so whoever gets him could give him a QO. However, the concern would be that he would take that and you would have to pay a catcher closer to $20M for the year. If you don't give him the QO,I don't think you get the pick compensation.
CFTXAG10
AG
https://instagr.am/p/CgpI3EagDjs
MaxPower
You can only give a QO if he was on your team the entire year.
BadAggie
AG
All the news right now sounds like standard negotiation tactics. Sellers said to have high asks. Buyers check in on alternatives. Problem is what the sellers are selling is perishable (other than players finishing the season with them.)

I mean, there are teams out there willing to overpay (ie Seattle with Castillo - a little different since not a rental)
BadAggie
AG
Maybe a bidding war breaks out for Contreras and/or Bell among buyers - we'll see.
Deluxe
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

BadAggie said:

I saw that Vazquez is on the market. Guessing he could be had for a bit cheaper than Contreras (assuming BOS is selling).
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Deluxe said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

BadAggie said:

I saw that Vazquez is on the market. Guessing he could be had for a bit cheaper than Contreras (assuming BOS is selling).

Yeah I've been pushing that for a few days too, I would like to have him.
BadAggie
AG
What was last Stros trade with Boston? Andersen for Bagwell?
First Page Last Page
Page 775 of 2374

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.