***** Official 2022 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

5,320,419 Views | 83072 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Harry Dunne
agdaddy04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well the Astros are now trying to save the economy
mwm
OKCAg2002
AG
Friday is a long ways away. Guess I'll just watch all 7 games again of the postseason
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
are we going to have more days off than games played in the post-season?
MarathonAg12
Had to. Arriving soon.

The Porkchop Express
AG
Post-season record book update
And yes I know the #s are way skewed because of the expanded playoffs. Don't care!

Runs scored
Jose Altuve, third all-time with 73 (Bernie WIlliams, 2nd with 83)

Hits
Jose Altuve, 9th all-time with 95 (Lofton, Jones, Pujols tied for 6th with 97, Molina 5th at 102, Posada 4th at 103)

Total Bases
Jose Altuve 4th at 180

Home Runs
Jose Altuve 2nd with 23

RBI
Jose Altuve 8th with 49 (Pujols 7th with 54)

Wins
Justin Verlander, tied for 2nd with 15

Innings Pitched
Justin Verlander 6th at 197.2 (Maddux 5th at 198, Clemens 4th at 199, Smoltz 3rd at 209)

Strikeouts
Verlander, 1st with 219

Games Started
Verlander, 4th at 32 (Clemens 3rd at 34)

Feels so good, feelin' good again.
Big Al 1992
AG
Congratulations American League Champions!!! What a great night!!! Another pennant to hang at Minute Maid. Now let's go get a World Championship!!!
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

Had to. Arriving soon.

I bought one too. I usually wait to see if its a series worth commemorating, but felt safe doing it. Supremely confident. Actually gave us a real patch this year too.
3B Paul 97
AG
If the Yanks fire Cashman do they make a run at Click?
Farmer1906
AG
Only if Click is not retained. You don't really steal coaches and GMs in baseball very often.
The Porkchop Express
AG
bearkatag15 said:

save for the weekend

This should be a 2023 bobblehead and poster night.
MarathonAg12
Yep. That and I'm in N. Austin. Not a whole lot of selection at the Academies up here. Literally the only thing available was a pair of Astros flip flops.

I wanted to make sure I got one quickly.
The Porkchop Express
AG
n_touch said:

BCSGrubber said:

So was the Espada to the White Sox fake news?
He can manage both. One week in person and the other virtual. Will prob have better records than this year.
I mean, the White Sox used a dead guy to manage them the last couple of years.
Chef Elko
AG
Wabs said:

So just get a completely new team and management. Sounds good, see you next year!
Satellite of Love
Ragnar Danneskjoldd said:

MarathonAg12 said:

Had to. Arriving soon.

I bought one too. I usually wait to see if its a series worth commemorating, but felt safe doing it. Supremely confident. Actually gave us a real patch this year too.
I'm on the fence if I should pickup the fitted with the orage top and blue bill. I don't have a version like that yet. I have the two other combos.
The Porkchop Express
AG
The 2022 AL MVP reminds me a lot of the 1995 NBA MVP

Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Satellite of Love said:

MarathonAg12 said:

Had to. Arriving soon.

I'm on the fence if I should pickup the fitted with the orage top and blue bill. I don't have a version like that yet. I have the two other combos.
I reckon I will buy another one with the world champions patch on it.
cone
AG
wellness check on Jeff Passan and Jon Heyman
W
AG
Wabs said:

this guy doesn't know that Donaldson is on the books for $21 MM guaranteed for 2023

maybe he gets DFA'd halfway thru the season
MarathonAg12
Satellite of Love said:

MarathonAg12 said:

Had to. Arriving soon.

Just buy it. Best $48.85 investment ever. Free shipping right now.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Sat down to start working at 8:35 a.m.

Remembered I was supposed to be working at 9:19 a.m.

Current open browser tabs
TexAgs
YouTube - Astros/Yankees Highlights
Baseball Reference
Baseball Reference
Sports illustrated
ESPN

Teddy Perkins
AG

Good thread.

Quote:

Had a great talk with a player today who was coming up with the Astros in the mid-2010s, now with another org in the big leagues.

"Houston in 2016 was ahead of where most orgs are now!"

Couple other quotes of interest…

"Yeah, the first rounder got a few extra swings in the cage. We all know the score. But the [Astros] coaches cared as much about the top prospects as they did about the late rounders. Tyler White. Chas McCormick. Cristian Javier. Brandon Bielak. Value is everywhere."

"Coaches were never late. Held to a high standard - constantly had 1:1 meetings and came prepared with Trackman data and player plans. It was never in doubt what the coaches and the front office wanted."

"[Front office executive] would showcase off rings and awards every year to illustrate that while they cared about player development, we play to win games at every level. Winning mattered. And we won a lot."

"The focus on analytics and technology that you hear from the outside is secondary to what [Houston] got right in the minor leagues - the culture of constant improvement, work ethic, and clearly defined goals is what separates that organization from the others I've played for."
It's a running joke in baseball that the Astros make their coaches work very hard. It's incredible to overhear these complaints like I have; I just think "what would our athletes think if they heard this conversation?"

The game is about the players. Always will be.

Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
my first fitted hat was bought at the last game at the astrodome. It was $25 and I remember thinking "that's outrageous".

To be fair, $25 was a lot of money to a 12 year old.
Teddy Perkins
AG
MarathonAg12
Damn, they didn't use Houston rap after the Jay Z intro?

Fail!
Farmer1906
AG
And then there was two.

Farmer1906
AG
The fix was in.

Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
we're up against a fan base that ate horse **** to celebrate a superbowl win. Gird your loins.
gigemJTH12
AG
any idea on game times for this weekend? both night games for sure?
McInnis
AG
It's easy to pinpoint the exact moment when the Astro's total dominance of the Yankees began. Judge hit the home run to beat the Astros last summer the weekend before the ASG. Then tugged his jersey rounding the bases. Then Sanchez did it the next day. Yankees had a late lead in that Sunday game, about to gain a 5-1 season series win. Then Altuve walked it off and the Astros have a record of 9-2 against them since that day. Almost like it's not a good idea to piss these guys off.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/yankees-astros-jose-altuve-gets-last-laugh-teammates-rip-off-jersey-following-walk-off-home-run/
Cromagnum
AG
Farmer1906 said:

The fix was in.

In a game that was ultimately a 1 run victory, that's terrible.
Eso si, Que es
BAP Enthusiast
Teddy Perkins said:

Good thread.

Quote:

Had a great talk with a player today who was coming up with the Astros in the mid-2010s, now with another org in the big leagues.

"Houston in 2016 was ahead of where most orgs are now!"

Couple other quotes of interest…

"Yeah, the first rounder got a few extra swings in the cage. We all know the score. But the [Astros] coaches cared as much about the top prospects as they did about the late rounders. Tyler White. Chas McCormick. Cristian Javier. Brandon Bielak. Value is everywhere."

"Coaches were never late. Held to a high standard - constantly had 1:1 meetings and came prepared with Trackman data and player plans. It was never in doubt what the coaches and the front office wanted."

"[Front office executive] would showcase off rings and awards every year to illustrate that while they cared about player development, we play to win games at every level. Winning mattered. And we won a lot."

"The focus on analytics and technology that you hear from the outside is secondary to what [Houston] got right in the minor leagues - the culture of constant improvement, work ethic, and clearly defined goals is what separates that organization from the others I've played for."
It's a running joke in baseball that the Astros make their coaches work very hard. It's incredible to overhear these complaints like I have; I just think "what would our athletes think if they heard this conversation?"

The game is about the players. Always will be.

I have always found it amazing that the teams with huge amounts of money don't do this. You could hire a million evaluators and developers with that money AND develop loyalty to the organization. Developing prospects should be the norm, not spending $300 million for a superstar.
Cromagnum
AG
Manfred to Boones last night.

Ag_07
AG
Um...It started in 2015 when we win that WC game in NY.
First Page Last Page
Page 1840 of 2374

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.