2022 Youth & HS baseball check in (softball too)

56,625 Views | 531 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by aggielax48
WES2006AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://apnews.com/article/covid-sports-health-youth-football-5db4156110f035c65bbcf3f5981dc576

Looks like the data represents what everyone is seeing on the field…horrible parents are driving officials out of youth baseball in record numbers.
agsalaska
AG
My son was so excited about this weekend getting to play up on the older team. He is 10u and played 11u.

All was going well until the semifinals when they allowed six runs in the second inning and never recovered. Errors, walks, etc.

My son by the semis had been moved up to 5th in the lineup but went 0-3 on three pitches. Also had an error.

It's ok though. Baseball word keeps turning. Should have a league game tonight if the rain holds off
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Elko is a loser and we will be buying him out for some obscene amount of money in two years. - Agsalaska

PhatMack19
AG
We are Piranhas which Jason Tyner runs.

I only have 9 players due to one quitting last month. I tried picking up someone for this weekend, but everyone I knew was already playing. I decided it would be better to just roll with 9 than to add a warm body that would hurt us more than help. About 6:30am Saturday morning my phone starts ringing that a kid was up all night puking. 1st game was 8:30am.

I was freaking out for a little bit. They called back and said he wanted to come try to play. I put him in RF and told him just to stand there and throw the ball back in if comes to him. Then he comes to the plate and goes 4-6 on Saturday. I told him I'm going to make him puke before every game if he hits like that.

I need a player, but I'm in a bad spot. We are too good to just add anyone. The kids I would want are on other teams, and I'm not going to do that to another team in the middle of the season. We just need to make it a few more months and figure it out at tryouts for next year.
AustinCountyAg
agsalaska said:

OK it is story time for Agsalaska. I may have told this story before but if so it was a few years ago. And, for the record I have been pretty clear on this thread that our teams have zero tolerance for any harassment of umpires by anyone and we do not even complain in any way about bad calls in front of the kids. We are an umpire's wet dream(that's not to say we do not chirp a little, appeal calls, etc. We just do it with respect). We respect umpires.

However,

I was suspended one game in the TTAB District T-ball tournament several years ago for an altercation with an umpire. I have never in my life seen another human being act this way in person on a ball field of any kind. It was our team and another team from our town and two local umpires. All coaches are friends. All the kids are friends. All the wives are friends. etc. And familiar umpires. What could go wrong.

One umpire went wrong. I can't really put into words how bad he was to both coaches the entire game but it was like R Lee Ermey in his Full Metal Jacket character doing a t ball game and everyone was Private Pyle. And without going into details about individual calls, it culminated in him throwing a bat helicopter style at me as I was walking back to the 3rd base dugout with my player who had just grounded out(who still plays for me.) I looked up in time to see the bat about six feet away from me and caught it about six inches from the little boys face. I caught the umpire's eye as he walked away with this **** eating F you grin on his face.

If I had it over again we would not have taken the field, but it was the last half inning and I was frozen by the shock of it. The game ended like one run later or something and I walked up to the other umpire to ask him if so and so was in charge of umpires this week so I could try to keep the bad umpire off the field. Bad umpire hears this and literally charges me chest out like some badass rooster. In the exchange which I quickly walked away from I cursed, pretty sure it was an S word.

By the time I got to the directors he had reported my foul language. But it didn't take long for the entire story to come out. The coaches on the other team didn't see it, but the coaches waiting on our field did as did about ten parents, some of whom were lined up behind me to tell what they saw. By the next morning the TTAB home office had received several calls and emails about it, many from people I didnt know.

It ended with me serving a one game mandatory suspension because I cursed. The umpire was banned from league play for life. The two teams and coaches involved ended up combining to make the Select team my son plays on today, and I still coach many of the boys in league too. The other umpire is a good dude and called a game for us the other night. Yes, he made a few calls I disagreed with. No I didn't give him any grief. He is a good umpire.

Not sure of the moral to that story and I am not telling it in any defense of this waco coach from Abilene. But, like any other profession, there is such a thing as umpires that should not be allowed around children, coaches, or frankly anyone else. But the story is somewhat of a legend around here and I get constantly harassed about it. Even last weekend when the umpire made a bad call one of the coaches said 'Hey Agsalaska go talk to him about it' and the story was told to some opponent coaches at the bar that night.

cool story and all, BUT what I took away from this was your kid was playing in a T BALL TOURNAMENT? and said game required TWO umpires?

Surely this is a joke?

AustinCountyAg
TarponChaser said:

docb said:

Interesting no one's posted anything about kid's jumping ship to another team or parents getting into squabbles yet. I guess most posters kids are still young on this thread. Just wait……..

Maybe the guys on here attempt to specifically seek out teams/organizations which keep such to a minimum.

I know when my oldest was trying out for 12U teams back in the fall some parents from a local team were trying to get him to try out for their team. We'd met a few of the parents playing in the Middle School Matchup which had kids from his MS on this team. He also had some kids from the team attending the same speed & agility workouts. Anyway, some of the parents of this team were trying to convince me to bring my kid to their team by badmouthing other teams we were checking out and at the same time they were *****ing about both some of the kids on the Middle School Matchup team and the guy who volunteered to coach that team. They were immediately crossed off the list.

Same goes for another squad. My boy picked up in a wood bat tournament the weekend before Thanksgiving with an 11U AA team from Dynasty. Really it's the worst 11U squad they have but my kid had taken all fall off from baseball to play football and hadn't seen live pitching or been in the field since June so I figured it would be a good re-entry. Anyway, one of the squads I was looking into to have him try out was a team we ended up playing for the championship. Their parents were garbage- talking **** TO the kids and just really trashy. Plus, there were several times I saw kids on the field throw tantrums- throwing gloves, helmets, etc. One kid who was playing SS couldn't make the play on hard grounder in the hole- it was a tough play to his backhand side. There were runners on base and when he missed the backhand and the ball went into left he threw his glove on the ground, started pouting and kicking it all while the opponents kids were still running the bases. And the coach let it continue and didn't do ***** I immediately crossed them off the list of potential spots too.
wood bat tournament for eleven year olds?

are you ****ting me? Travel baseball tournament directors have suburb baseball parents by the balls. $$$ Anything to get little Ayden ready for "the show".
TarponChaser
PhatMack19 said:

We are Piranhas which Jason Tyner runs.

Overall that seems to be a good organization. My older son played some Piranhas in the past on old teams but he hasn't played them on this team. I think there's just the one Piranhas 12U team that Tyner coaches and they're really good.

Seems like all 3 of the organizations in the Beaumont area are really solid between Mizuno, Piranhas, and Gladiators. I'm guessing they pull kids from all over the Golden Triangle.
TarponChaser
AustinCountyAg said:

TarponChaser said:

docb said:

Interesting no one's posted anything about kid's jumping ship to another team or parents getting into squabbles yet. I guess most posters kids are still young on this thread. Just wait……..

Maybe the guys on here attempt to specifically seek out teams/organizations which keep such to a minimum.

I know when my oldest was trying out for 12U teams back in the fall some parents from a local team were trying to get him to try out for their team. We'd met a few of the parents playing in the Middle School Matchup which had kids from his MS on this team. He also had some kids from the team attending the same speed & agility workouts. Anyway, some of the parents of this team were trying to convince me to bring my kid to their team by badmouthing other teams we were checking out and at the same time they were *****ing about both some of the kids on the Middle School Matchup team and the guy who volunteered to coach that team. They were immediately crossed off the list.

Same goes for another squad. My boy picked up in a wood bat tournament the weekend before Thanksgiving with an 11U AA team from Dynasty. Really it's the worst 11U squad they have but my kid had taken all fall off from baseball to play football and hadn't seen live pitching or been in the field since June so I figured it would be a good re-entry. Anyway, one of the squads I was looking into to have him try out was a team we ended up playing for the championship. Their parents were garbage- talking **** TO the kids and just really trashy. Plus, there were several times I saw kids on the field throw tantrums- throwing gloves, helmets, etc. One kid who was playing SS couldn't make the play on hard grounder in the hole- it was a tough play to his backhand side. There were runners on base and when he missed the backhand and the ball went into left he threw his glove on the ground, started pouting and kicking it all while the opponents kids were still running the bases. And the coach let it continue and didn't do ***** I immediately crossed them off the list of potential spots too.
wood bat tournament for eleven year olds?

are you ****ting me? Travel baseball tournament directors have suburb baseball parents by the balls. $$$ Anything to get little Ayden ready for "the show".

Lighten up Francis.

It's something different and not about getting kids ready for "the show." The kids have fun with it. Plus, the teams are given several wood bats as part of their tournament entry so it's not like they have to go out and buy wood bats for the kids. And instead of giving the tournament winners rings the kids each got a commemorative wood bat.

Besides, literally every kid I know already has a wood bat they use a lot for BP because they're heavier and have a smaller sweet spot. I got older boy used Marucci -3 collegiate wood bat for $30 on SidelineSwap.com and the thing didn't have a mark on it. Not exactly breaking the bank.
agsalaska
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

agsalaska said:

OK it is story time for Agsalaska. I may have told this story before but if so it was a few years ago. And, for the record I have been pretty clear on this thread that our teams have zero tolerance for any harassment of umpires by anyone and we do not even complain in any way about bad calls in front of the kids. We are an umpire's wet dream(that's not to say we do not chirp a little, appeal calls, etc. We just do it with respect). We respect umpires.

However,

I was suspended one game in the TTAB District T-ball tournament several years ago for an altercation with an umpire. I have never in my life seen another human being act this way in person on a ball field of any kind. It was our team and another team from our town and two local umpires. All coaches are friends. All the kids are friends. All the wives are friends. etc. And familiar umpires. What could go wrong.

One umpire went wrong. I can't really put into words how bad he was to both coaches the entire game but it was like R Lee Ermey in his Full Metal Jacket character doing a t ball game and everyone was Private Pyle. And without going into details about individual calls, it culminated in him throwing a bat helicopter style at me as I was walking back to the 3rd base dugout with my player who had just grounded out(who still plays for me.) I looked up in time to see the bat about six feet away from me and caught it about six inches from the little boys face. I caught the umpire's eye as he walked away with this **** eating F you grin on his face.

If I had it over again we would not have taken the field, but it was the last half inning and I was frozen by the shock of it. The game ended like one run later or something and I walked up to the other umpire to ask him if so and so was in charge of umpires this week so I could try to keep the bad umpire off the field. Bad umpire hears this and literally charges me chest out like some badass rooster. In the exchange which I quickly walked away from I cursed, pretty sure it was an S word.

By the time I got to the directors he had reported my foul language. But it didn't take long for the entire story to come out. The coaches on the other team didn't see it, but the coaches waiting on our field did as did about ten parents, some of whom were lined up behind me to tell what they saw. By the next morning the TTAB home office had received several calls and emails about it, many from people I didnt know.

It ended with me serving a one game mandatory suspension because I cursed. The umpire was banned from league play for life. The two teams and coaches involved ended up combining to make the Select team my son plays on today, and I still coach many of the boys in league too. The other umpire is a good dude and called a game for us the other night. Yes, he made a few calls I disagreed with. No I didn't give him any grief. He is a good umpire.

Not sure of the moral to that story and I am not telling it in any defense of this waco coach from Abilene. But, like any other profession, there is such a thing as umpires that should not be allowed around children, coaches, or frankly anyone else. But the story is somewhat of a legend around here and I get constantly harassed about it. Even last weekend when the umpire made a bad call one of the coaches said 'Hey Agsalaska go talk to him about it' and the story was told to some opponent coaches at the bar that night.

cool story and all, BUT what I took away from this was your kid was playing in a T BALL TOURNAMENT? and said game required TWO umpires?

Surely this is a joke?

No. There was nothing funny about it.

Yes. TTAB I.e Texas Teenage, has summer district and State tournaments for all divisions, including t-ball. I think the State tournament has about 20 teams. Everyone has a blast. And to clarify this is Rec ball, not Select. Our town also has a 'city championship.' Also pretty fun

And yes we had two umpires for those games. Sometimes we had two umpires during the season too.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Elko is a loser and we will be buying him out for some obscene amount of money in two years. - Agsalaska

agsalaska
AG
We play in a wood bat tournament every year. Our kids like it a lot. Everyone has a lot of fun. My son Still takes his wood bat to league games.

agsalaska
AG
And we just got rained out for the night.

That's ok. Lord knows we need the rain.

Joe Schillaci 48
AG
agsalaska said:

It ended with me serving a one game mandatory suspension because I cursed. The umpire was banned from league play for life.
Retired umpire here. I spent nearly 20 years as an umpire, starting as a Little League and ended umpiring NCAA Div 1.

There is nothing worse than being sentenced to do a youth baseball game. As I entered my 50's I realized the game had passed me by at the college level and my choice was to umpire youth baseball, lower level high school baseball or retire.

The decision was a no brainer. Why anyone would want to put up with parents and possible physical harm is beyond me. In high school (and college) coaches can "scratch" an umpire but the umpire can "scratch" them too. I have been scratched and I have scratched coaches.

And the umpire who was "banned for life" from some youth league? He probably had 20 phone calls begging him to work a tournament in the league down the street.

I hope he turned them all down and went fishing that weekend.
agsalaska
AG
Joe Schillaci 48 said:

agsalaska said:

It ended with me serving a one game mandatory suspension because I cursed. The umpire was banned from league play for life.
Retired umpire here. I spent nearly 20 years as an umpire, starting as a Little League and ended umpiring NCAA Div 1.

There is nothing worse than being sentenced to do a youth baseball game. As I entered my 50's I realized the game had passed me by at the college level and my choice was to umpire youth baseball, lower level high school baseball or retire.

The decision was a no brainer. Why anyone would want to put up with parents and possible physical harm is beyond me. In high school (and college) coaches can "scratch" an umpire but the umpire can "scratch" them too. I have been scratched and I have scratched coaches.

And the umpire who was "banned for life" from some youth league? He probably had 20 phone calls begging him to work a tournament in the league down the street.

I hope he turned them all down and went fishing that weekend.
Considering that was your takeaway from my story you obviously made the right decision to retire. We thank you.

My guess is the umpire who was banned, if he didn't change his behavior, is either dead or in jail by now. I hope, instead of going fishing, he went and found the professional help that he needed before he hurt someone.

docb
AG
Our team got second place for the second week in a row. Ended up losing by 2 to a Canes team that had brought in 5 players for Sunday. They had around 14-15 kids on that bench. A few questions that I've always wanted to know and never gotten a good answer from the guys that run the Austin select baseball. How many kids that currently play majors can drop down to a AAA team to play in a tournament? I mean we are AAA so we can't (and would not) drop down to a AA tournament just to pick up a $3 gold ring. So what is the difference if you just bring several kids from other higher level teams. We have sent e-mails to the tournament directors before but honestly I think they turn a blind eye because those large organizations are paying a lot of entry fees every weekend. I guess I don't see what the point of having classification if there is no enforcement of it? Frankly I'd be pissed if my kid was on that team and was having to sit on Sundays because they were brining kids down of cherry picking from the other teams in the organization just to collect rings. It was a lot easier to navigate the USSSA website and see all the teams these kids are currently on. The Perfect Game website is harder to navigate IMO. And if these are Perfect Game tournaments is that the rules we follow then where are they published. I was looking last night for the rules on their website and I couldn't find anything on there. I'm pretty sure the USSSA website had a rules section. Anyway I guess at the end of the day our kids get to play the whole game and we don't have to stack rosters from other teams to get there.
aggielax48
AG
The rules can be found under "Event Info" from any tournament. You get a pop-up and "Rules" is one of the links. Regarding your question, a player must be listed on the roster prior to the first game and can only play in one event. Enforcement is obviously a different issue, but assuming these kids weren't playing on multiple teams it isn't against the rules. I'm sure this gets on the list of reasons you see kids club hop each season.
docb
AG
Thanks on the rules.
agsalaska
AG
We cant stand perfect game. We started the year 5-9 and got knocked out a couple of times by pitchers wearing different uniforms. We won AAA tournaments in 8u and 9u. But there are too many teams and too many shenanigans. Fun is not on the first page of priorities for anyone there.

We went back to USSSA this weekend and had a blast. The competition was good, the umpires were good, the fans were good. The location was fantastic. We are done chasing PG stuff. Going to Dallas next weekend for USSSA.

Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Watch it, you'll upset the Aficionado
docb
AG
I wish we had another option in the Austin area. It's not that we are not competitive as we win our fair share of games and tournaments. I'm fairly proud of our boys as we have done this since 9U and now 14U and we are pretty much the only independent team left. Not too bad for a few dads doing this the old way.
agsalaska
AG
Yea probably. But each to their own I guess.

We are of the opinion that PG goes overboard. Our kids play select baseball for the competition, the fun of the trips, the hotel pools, the friendships etc. And of course it is more competitive than league(though 8 of our 10 boys also play league). We have no desire to pick kids up and sit our boys so we can win a ring. And unfortunately form our experience it sure seems like thats what you have to do in order to compete. And, if we are going to have fun, we have to be able to compete. We would rather just drop down to AA and have fun.

TarponChaser
docb said:

Our team got second place for the second week in a row. Ended up losing by 2 to a Canes team that had brought in 5 players for Sunday. They had around 14-15 kids on that bench. A few questions that I've always wanted to know and never gotten a good answer from the guys that run the Austin select baseball. How many kids that currently play majors can drop down to a AAA team to play in a tournament? I mean we are AAA so we can't (and would not) drop down to a AA tournament just to pick up a $3 gold ring. So what is the difference if you just bring several kids from other higher level teams. We have sent e-mails to the tournament directors before but honestly I think they turn a blind eye because those large organizations are paying a lot of entry fees every weekend. I guess I don't see what the point of having classification if there is no enforcement of it? Frankly I'd be pissed if my kid was on that team and was having to sit on Sundays because they were brining kids down of cherry picking from the other teams in the organization just to collect rings. It was a lot easier to navigate the USSSA website and see all the teams these kids are currently on. The Perfect Game website is harder to navigate IMO. And if these are Perfect Game tournaments is that the rules we follow then where are they published. I was looking last night for the rules on their website and I couldn't find anything on there. I'm pretty sure the USSSA website had a rules section. Anyway I guess at the end of the day our kids get to play the whole game and we don't have to stack rosters from other teams to get there.

I get what you're saying. It can be frustrating and where's the honor in picking up a bunch of ringers to win a cheap ring?

For lots of organizations it's about keeping their lower level pipeline full to finance their top tier teams and to keep bringing in paying kids. It's the "look how many tournaments we win so bring your kid to play for us" routine.

I have more of an issue with it at younger ages but personally, I'd like to see a complete removal of classes at 14U and up. These are the kids you're competing against for spots on the HS team and your HS will be playing against so why not have everyone together? And while some kids are late bloomers by 14U presumably all the boys have hit puberty. And definitely put 14U on the big boy fields- right now I think only 14U major plays on the full size fields while AA and AAA play 54'/80' (I could be wrong and confused though). Same for all 14U going to BBCOR bats instead of just 14U Major.

But, I definitely get being pissed off if your kid sits because a team brings in a ringer from a higher classification team.
agsalaska
AG
docb said:

I wish we had another option in the Austin area. It's not that we are not competitive as we win our fair share of games and tournaments. I'm fairly proud of our boys as we have done this since 9U and now 14U and we are pretty much the only independent team left. Not too bad for a few dads doing this the old way.
Yea we are independent too. We get approached almost every weekend. Started in 7u after the t-ball season and still have 7 of the original boys who also played t ball.

My son could play majors. But some of our boys probably can't. But why would I pull him and send him to Austin to play majors at 10 years old when he has grown up with these kids. Seems a little young for that. We had one boy do exactly that but they were back very quickly and dad was like 'ain't doing that again.'

USSSA has moved back into the area a little bit north in Bell Co. We are playing there at the end of May. But I am not sure what 14u looks like.

TarponChaser
agsalaska said:

docb said:

Yea we are independent too. We get approached almost every weekend. Started in 7u after the t-ball season and still have 7 of the original boys who also played t ball.

My son could play majors. But some of our boys probably can't. But why would I pull him and send him to Austin to play majors at 10 years old when he has grown up with these kids. Seems a little young for that. We had one boy do exactly that but they were back very quickly and dad was like 'ain't doing that again.'

USSSA has moved back into the area a little bit north in Bell Co. We are playing there at the end of May. But I am not sure what 14u looks like.

I'm not sure where the dividing line is but it seems like a lot more Cen-Tex and North Texas plays NCS-sanctioned events and maybe even some USSSA still while around B/CS and points south is almost all PG.
docb
AG
All of 14U is on the big field
agsalaska
AG
TarponChaser said:

agsalaska said:

docb said:

I'm not sure where the dividing line is but it seems like a lot more Cen-Tex and North Texas plays NCS-sanctioned events and maybe even some USSSA still while around B/CS and points south is almost all PG.
We played a couple of NCS tournaments in the fall in Temple and unfortunately it just wasnt competitive enough. We also played two in 9u and same thing though those were in the Dallas and SA area. I think in the four we played we won three and came in second once, never losing a pool game.

NCS is good. They put on a good tournament and in the metroplex has some really good teams. But in Temple it didnt work. They tried to get it going here by offering fall ball league teams free entry. Which is great except we were already run ruling those teams on Wednesday night.

Now USSSA is back here. My son picked up on an 11u team two weekends ago and it was a great tournament and experience.

My son does have an NCS championship banner hanging on his wall. He was supposed to give it to our head coach but he gave the coach a chance to forget about it and he did.

agsalaska
AG
Also, Tarpon, I am not to the 14u yet(still 10u) but I have never heard the argument of eliminating age divisions at 14u. Interesting idea.

Seems like that would eliminate all the independent teams by 14u and give the advantage immediately to the factories. That would probably even effect 12u and 13u.

For example if our independent team made it all the way to 14u what happens then? Do we go recruit older kids? Do we just hang out for a year or two in AA? I guess by then a lot of these boys will be moving on from Select ball and doing something else anyway.

But from a competition standpoint that might not be the worst thing.

agsalaska
AG
Also, Tarpon again, we went to B/CS this weekend and played USSSA. Could have used another competitive team or two but the Semis and the Final were great games.

And the field in Bryan was fantastic.

TarponChaser
docb said:

All of 14U is on the big field

Good deal.

Maybe it's some 13U that plays on the 54'/80' and some plays on the big field while 14U major uses BBCOR while AAA and AA can still use a -5.

This fall will be interesting for my oldest. He's a big kid but puberty is really still a ways off and since he's playing on grade level vs. age he's going to move to 13U this fall. The difference between 11U and 12U is the competition because the fields are the same size. There's a bunch of kids on his team who turn 13 in the next couple months that are in puberty while mine will be 12 in July.

Oh well, it all evens out after puberty and on the big field.
TarponChaser
agsalaska said:

Also, Tarpon again, we went to B/CS this weekend and played USSSA. Could have used another competitive team or two but the Semis and the Final were great games.

And the field in Bryan was fantastic.

I haven't seen those renovated fields in person but I'd like to soon. It's kind of weird since those were the fields I played on in Little League 30 years ago.
TarponChaser
agsalaska said:

Also, Tarpon, I am not to the 14u yet(still 10u) but I have never heard the argument of eliminating age divisions at 14u. Interesting idea.

Seems like that would eliminate all the independent teams by 14u and give the advantage immediately to the factories. That would probably even effect 12u and 13u.

For example if our independent team made it all the way to 14u what happens then? Do we go recruit older kids? Do we just hang out for a year or two in AA? I guess by then a lot of these boys will be moving on from Select ball and doing something else anyway.

But from a competition standpoint that might not be the worst thing.

Not eliminating age divisions but AA, AAA, and majors.

Meaning, it's all 14U "open."

And teams will self-segregate after that. Kids who are legit prospects will probably not be playing on age-level teams in HS summer ball but against teams with kids from 15/16 up to 18. Then there will be age-level teams but not as high-level in terms of competition.

Just my $0.02
agsalaska
AG
Gotcha. That makes sense

lil99chris
AG
Alright……my son is currently playing 10U. We have stuck around with rec league/all stars instead of joining an organization over the past few years. In the past he has been asked to join teams, but we have turned down offers due to other commitments, wanting to play with friends, and I honestly enjoy coaching. When looking at organizations, how much of a factor should I really pay toward a paid coach, dad coach, or volunteer coached team?
agsalaska
AG
lil99chris said:

Alright……my son is currently playing 10U. We have stuck around with rec league/all stars instead of joining an organization over the past few years. In the past he has been asked to join teams, but we have turned down offers due to other commitments, wanting to play with friends, and I honestly enjoy coaching. When looking at organizations, how much of a factor should I really pay toward a paid coach, dad coach, or volunteer coached team?
I think it depends entirely on what your goals are. Does he have to quit rec ball? Some rec coaches put weekend teams together. Do you want him playing majors or is having fun still a top priority?

There are a lot of good organizations out there.

docb
AG
I wouldn't get to hung up on the paid coach thing. Yes there are some good ones but also lots of bad ones out there too. Just find a group you fit with and coaches that know the game and willing to put in the time and effort to help the kids develop.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
lil99chris said:

This is exactly the route I plan to go, My son is currently 7 playing 8u. Plan is to stay in league next spring for 9u and probably next spring for 10u, trying out for their majors teams in the league. After that maybe do summer 10u on a select team and figure it out from there
lil99chris
AG
agsalaska said:

lil99chris said:

I think it depends entirely on what your goals are. Does he have to quit rec ball? Some rec coaches put weekend teams together. Do you want him playing majors or is having fun still a top priority?

There are a lot of good organizations out there.

We are likely going to consider also playing rec ball in the fall/spring. We also understand rec league is not going to really give my son and his buddy the challenge they require. I grew up playing baseball with my neighborhood friends and loved it. Select baseball was not really an option when I played.

I believe having fun and continuing to improve will always been the priorities.

I feel like the larger organizations around us are similar to puppy mills. You can play for their name organization and their paid coach, but with 4+ teams.......are you really getting much out of it outside of cash going out your wallet? I have seen some of these kids. They aren't improving and are doing the same drills most rec league baseball coaches do as a 'practice' once a week. I know I am missing some stuff here, but I see the 'profit' motivation more than the player development.

One more thing....I have been approached about possibly coaching a team. I know I can coach a baseball team, but I am honestly a bit nervous about getting players developed for high school teams.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.