2022 Youth & HS baseball check in (softball too)

56,719 Views | 531 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by aggielax48
WES2006AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
baseballaficionado said:

Also, I don't want to turn this political, but..... My son is learning more about life on the baseball field than he is in the current crappy schools. Get them to bed early so they can learn some CRT in the morning! Guess where you really get to know cultures and learn to get along with everyone?
baseballaficionado
WES2006AG said:

baseballaficionado said:

Also, I don't want to turn this political, but..... My son is learning more about life on the baseball field than he is in the current crappy schools. Get them to bed early so they can learn some CRT in the morning! Guess where you really get to know cultures and learn to get along with everyone?

You can't post a response because you know I am right.
WES2006AG
AG
baseballaficionado said:

WES2006AG said:

baseballaficionado said:

Honestly didn't think it needed any more of a response. You went full on CRT boogeyman ignoring the fact that CRT has never been taught in K-12 in Texas.

[This topic is about 2022 Youth & HS baseball. Both of you stick to the topic. - Texags Staff]
agsalaska
AG
OK this needs to stop. Is staff still around. You two both need to go.

Wes-You are better than being a troll.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Elko is a loser and we will be buying him out for some obscene amount of money in two years. - Agsalaska

Lonestar_Ag09
AG
WES2006AG said:

baseballaficionado said:

WES2006AG said:

baseballaficionado said:

Honestly didn't think it needed any more of a response. You went full on CRT boogeyman ignoring the fact that CRT has never been taught in K-12 in Texas.
Hate to break it to you bud, while he is going overboard the theory of CRT is very well ingrained in all education. It isn't taught as a unit but when test scores are looked at in terms of race instead of other factors, or lessons are designed to be sure and "reach" certain students rather than other....and so on and so on, all of those items are aspects of CRT that exists everywhere.

You can disagree with me if you'd like, I only taught over a 12 year span and finally called it quits when I got sick of that crap and sick of parents who wanted to blame me for why their student makes bad grades
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Bregxit said:

Beautiful response. Sensible and respectful.

I would also add...we had games run that late at Orwall all the way back to t-ball. So it isn't just a select thing. Sometimes extracurriculars just go late.
Brexit, seems were in the same area, what is Orwall? Not familiar with that
WES2006AG
AG
Ok, I will see myself out. I genuinely don't think I am trolling this thread but I can see how my opinion of select baseball could make it could seem that way.

You guys enjoy your youth baseball. I will stick to providing input about high school baseball from my years of experience there.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
WES2006AG said:

baseballaficionado said:

WES2006AG said:

baseballaficionado said:

[This topic is about 2022 Youth & HS baseball. Both of you stick to the topic. - Texags Staff]
My guy, its literally on district websites
baseballaficionado
The umps did seem to take a lot of abuse this weekend (not from our parents) which I hate to see. It doesn't help with the current shortage when they take such crap. We had two umps for every game on Saturday and Sunday, except for the championship game. The most important game and there is only one ump and he is calling the game from behind the mound. Luckily, he was really good.

If it helps, my boy didn't have to stay up too late to get this ring:

It also helps me fulfill the posting rings to social media stereotype brought up earlier. This is my only social media, so it will have to do!
docb
AG
Interesting no one's posted anything about kid's jumping ship to another team or parents getting into squabbles yet. I guess most posters kids are still young on this thread. Just wait……..
baseballaficionado
I have been taking my son to watch more high school baseball lately. People always say the parents know the game more and are so well behaved, but that isn't what I have seen this year. I have heard a lot of crap being directed to those umps as well.

As far as team jumping, former team drama, there is always some form of that being talked about.
docb
AG
baseballaficionado said:

I have been taking my son to watch more high school baseball lately. People always say the parents know the game more and are so well behaved, but that isn't what I have seen this year. I have heard a lot of crap being directed to those umps as well.

As far as team jumping, former team drama, there is always some form of that being talked about.

Some of the things I've seen have been incredible. Kids sports bring a lot of people together who otherwise would have no reason to hang out together.
TarponChaser
docb said:

Interesting no one's posted anything about kid's jumping ship to another team or parents getting into squabbles yet. I guess most posters kids are still young on this thread. Just wait……..

Maybe the guys on here attempt to specifically seek out teams/organizations which keep such to a minimum.

I know when my oldest was trying out for 12U teams back in the fall some parents from a local team were trying to get him to try out for their team. We'd met a few of the parents playing in the Middle School Matchup which had kids from his MS on this team. He also had some kids from the team attending the same speed & agility workouts. Anyway, some of the parents of this team were trying to convince me to bring my kid to their team by badmouthing other teams we were checking out and at the same time they were *****ing about both some of the kids on the Middle School Matchup team and the guy who volunteered to coach that team. They were immediately crossed off the list.

Same goes for another squad. My boy picked up in a wood bat tournament the weekend before Thanksgiving with an 11U AA team from Dynasty. Really it's the worst 11U squad they have but my kid had taken all fall off from baseball to play football and hadn't seen live pitching or been in the field since June so I figured it would be a good re-entry. Anyway, one of the squads I was looking into to have him try out was a team we ended up playing for the championship. Their parents were garbage- talking **** TO the kids and just really trashy. Plus, there were several times I saw kids on the field throw tantrums- throwing gloves, helmets, etc. One kid who was playing SS couldn't make the play on hard grounder in the hole- it was a tough play to his backhand side. There were runners on base and when he missed the backhand and the ball went into left he threw his glove on the ground, started pouting and kicking it all while the opponents kids were still running the bases. And the coach let it continue and didn't do ***** I immediately crossed them off the list of potential spots too.
TarponChaser
baseballaficionado said:

The whole family went to the Atasocita-Kingwood game this past Friday and it was a packed house. Tremendous baseball too. Kingwood won 3-2 in a pitcher's duel and those pitchers were dealing. Kid from Kingwood was sitting about 90 and hitting 92 while the kid from Atascocita was sitting about 88 and had a sick curveball. Outstanding defense too with both defenses making gems that robbed the other team of hits.
WES2006AG
AG
TarponChaser said:

baseballaficionado said:

The whole family went to the Atasocita-Kingwood game this past Friday and it was a packed house. Tremendous baseball too. Kingwood won 3-2 in a pitcher's duel and those pitchers were dealing. Kid from Kingwood was sitting about 90 and hitting 92 while the kid from Atascocita was sitting about 88 and had a sick curveball. Outstanding defense too with both defenses making gems that robbed the other team of hits.
We are spoiled with the amount of great high school baseball in the Houston area. Getting to umpire really good 6a matchups a few nights a week is a big part of what keeps me coming back.
docb
AG
Another thing with select baseball is everything is good when you're winning. The drama comes out when you're not winning.
Bassmaster
AG
We've had the same group since we started at 9u with our group from ORWALL (now 11U). Started with 12, one kid's parents made him quit after last spring to go play league ball with his brother because they can't stop having kids and as a result, they can't get all of the kids to where they need to be so he'd often miss practice/games. Sucks for the kid because he's really talented. Other than that, no turnover. We didn't pick up anyone in his place, so we play with 11 now. I realize we are a unicorn though. It helps when the guys who start the team are able to hand pick kids/families. We aren't affiliated with any organization, so we don't have to deal with those issues.
agsalaska
AG
Thats the way to do it. We are 10u and essentially did the same thing, though most of our kids also play league ball.

I am sure the experience in, say, Austin is a lot different.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Elko is a loser and we will be buying him out for some obscene amount of money in two years. - Agsalaska

TarponChaser
WES2006AG said:

TarponChaser said:

baseballaficionado said:

We are spoiled with the amount of great high school baseball in the Houston area. Getting to umpire really good 6a matchups a few nights a week is a big part of what keeps me coming back.

Might be taking in 2 games tomorrow night. Summer Creek vs. Atascocita both the sophomore team game and varsity. There are a whole bunch of kids on the 15U team for our organization on the SCHS and AHS rosters and kids on the HS showcase team on the varsity rosters too.

People can argue back & forth over whether or not a kid is going to be behind or not by not playing select but I'd encourage folks to go check out a 6A HS game here in the Houston area and see what a high level they play the game and I can guarantee you virtually every kid on varsity played select at a young age. It's a huge reason why we started our boys in it when we did.
WES2006AG
AG
That should be one of the better matchups in Houston tonight. I haven't seen either team because I don't make it to the NE side of town much but I've heard that Summer Creek is stacked.
TarponChaser
WES2006AG said:

That should be one of the better matchups in Houston tonight. I haven't seen either team because I don't make it to the NE side of town much but I've heard that Summer Creek is stacked.

Haven't seen them play yet but I've heard Summer Creek is really good. I'm pretty sure they've got one kid committed to LSU who's cousin is on my oldest son's team. And I know there's another kid who is going to probably going to play at Texas State and his younger brother is buddies with my oldest- that kid will be good too, both his brother's are 6'4"-6'5" and one plays at Schreiner while the other is a senior at SC. Their dad is a big dude too.

I'm sure it's like this is most big metro areas but the amount of quality baseball being played in the big suburban districts is pretty outstanding. It's a big reason why we had to ditch Childress- you can stock a CWS-quality roster with nothing but kids from inside a 100-mile radius of Aggieland and Childress couldn't get them on campus.

edit: and it's not NE side, it's "Upper East Side" please
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I just refer to that entire area (59/1960 and beyond) as Humble personally... and Everything above that is Kingwood
TarponChaser
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

I just refer to that entire area (59/1960 and beyond) as Humble personally... and Everything above that is Kingwood

Get with the program youngster. It's been Upper East Side for 15 years.

Freaking New Army ruining everything.
Quito
AG
Topic related and hopefully I can get sone good answers here.

My 10U swings an Easton ADV 30 -10. (2 piece composite) He loves this bat and current one is a replacement. (We did buy the extra replacement option from Dicks because I have an 8U I want to pass this down to in a couple years).

He hit the ball well this weekend, but he noticed there's a wry slight sound and feel of a loose connection. So slight you have to hood handle with both hands and move back and forth and listen very close and you can feel it ever so slightly.

Is the bat ok? Will this cause it to lose any "pop". I was hoping to trade in on Dicks warranty after the Summer Season and get a new one to pass down to my younger boy.
AggieEE2002
AG
From my experience, once they start making a sound its usually not long until you're buying a replacement.
PhatMack19
AG
PhatMack19 said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

PhatMack19 said:

I had a kid quit this week. Actually the parent quit. The week of the Biggest tourney of the year. All because he sat 2 innings of our 4 games last weekend. Dad was drunk and started screaming when I put a kid at 2nd base that never plays there in a game we were up 11-0 on Sunday.

Parents suck. This is my 2 hole with the highest avg on the team btw.
Sounds like a win...Character over production in my book, every time

I agree, but the kid is a great kid. Played for me for 2 years and never had a problem with him or the parents. I found out more to the story later. Dad's buddy is starting a new team and dad is going to help coach. Buddy's kid team hops and has been on 6 teams in the last year in a half. It won't end well for them and the only one hurt is the kid. Oh well, I tried….

We played their team yesterday and beat them 12-2. We are 9u playing up. They are 10. Kid is now the star of his new team and went 0-3 this weekend. We went 4-1 and lost in the championship to a 10AAA team.

Best part of the game. We roster bat and free sub as do most teams out there. They batted 9 and had 1 sub. Made their sub in the 7 spot in the lineup. RE-entered the starter later in the 5 hole. I called them out for batting out of order and they had to take an out. They lost it and tried to protest the game. Argued for 20 minutes that I'm just trying to screw them over. Tourney director came out and all that fun stuff. They still wouldn't let it go after the game and followed the umps to their car complaining even after everyone in the stands told them they were wrong. 2 guys coaching a team that have zero clue of the most elementary baseball rules. They will do good to make it to the end of the season.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Always love a good dose of Karma.

BUT, I think you have a different understanding of Roster batting than I do. If you are roster batting you don't have a sub, the whole roster bats...
TarponChaser
If it feels even slightly loose and you can hear a tiny rattle that bat isn't long for the world.

Up & down weekend for my older boy's team though. He played well and seems to be back on track- he was towards the bottom of the lineup since he's not quite 100% but hit .667 and the only time he got out was a line drive he absolutely blistered but straight at the CF who still almost got burned. It was one of those shots where the OF didn't even have time to turn and run, he sort of backpedaled a couple steps and threw up his glove at the last second and snagged it. He only played OF and did his job. No real opportunities to make any special plays or get any OF assists but teams didn't test him either.

He did miss a couple signs that got him benched for a couple innings- I did jump his butt over that. Physical mistakes happen, especially when going full speed but you can't have mental errors like that.

After winning their first game Saturday against a pretty decent team 12-3 they shat the bed in their second game and in a rematch against the same team they lost to in their 2nd game on Sunday morning they did the same. It was maddening- the same kids who made 0 errors in the first game and 1 error in 5 games the last tournament had like 10 errors in 2 games. Kids getting thrown out stealing because they were practically jogging. Kids just watching 2-strike fastballs grooved down the middle. It was bizarre. Half the kids were acting like they didn't want to be out there for either loss. I mean just absurdly lazy and the coaches were all over them (rightly so). So out of character for a team that had been so good at doing the little things- like one play when my kid was in RF and a RH batter smokes a line drive down the RF line. He gets over in the corner quickly and fires a laser to the cut-off man who relays to 3rd but the 3B tries to make the tag before he secures the throw and the throw bounces off his glove to the fence and skips toward LF a bit. The pitcher should have been there backing him up and instead was just standing on the mound watching so the guy gets a triple and scores on a throwing error. It was a clean triple but because the pitcher wasn't in his spot to back up the throw the runner scored.

I don't know what the hell happened but they went from looking pretty outstanding for their last 13-14 games to the Bad News Bears in the space of a couple hours and that bad vibe stuck around Sunday too.
PhatMack19
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Always love a good dose of Karma.

BUT, I think you have a different understanding of Roster batting than I do. If you are roster batting you don't have a sub, the whole roster bats...

We roster bat as does almost every other team. They batted 9 with a sub. Made the sub then tried to re-enter the starter into a different spot in the lineup instead of the player he was "married" to

Starter can only RE-enter in the same spot in the lineup for the sub, then the sub is burned. He had the starter and sub in the game and a different starter out.

*edit to say that you do not have to roster bat if you don't want to. They chose to have a sub which is stupid at this age. They are 10. Let them play
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
ahh my apologies I misunderstood the way you meant it.
agsalaska
AG
10uAAA

Man my son's team is playing like ass. The can't field the ball. And when they do they can't throw the ball. And when they actually manage to do both of those they can't catch the ball. Oh and they can't hit or throw strikes.

Cray watching the tides turn. They went 27-4 in the fall and are 4-7 in the spring. In fairness about 12 of those fall games were league fall ball and not competitive, but remove those and they were 15-4. Our team in the fall, which is the exact same 10 kids as the spring, would beat us 15-0 today.

Its crazy watching it happen. Example. Went 1-1 Saturday and are playing a team Sunday morning they lost to 7-6 a couple of weeks ago. Should be a good game. Bottom 1 runner at third 2 out and our SS air mailed his throw to first. OK. one run scored. Still two outs. Still pitching well? Nope. four pitch walk. Kid steal second. Next batter our catcher throws to third to pick the kid off. 3b whiffs it and our LF air mailed his throw back in. Down 3-0 without allowing a hit.

I think in all of fall ball they may have had two innings like that total. They did it three times Sunday morning. Got out hit 5-4 but lost by 8. EIGHT!!

My son is ready for league ball this week.

docb
AG
Maybe they need to play AA? At 10u there are still plenty of good teams in AA.
TarponChaser
docb said:

Maybe they need to play AA? At 10u there are still plenty of good teams in AA.

I think if they're making mental errors then they need to keep playing at the higher level vs. higher baseball IQ teams. Forces you to keep up.

Hopefully this past weekend was an aberration for us as the simply didn't do the things they'd done correctly 100 times before.
agsalaska
AG
We hope so. We actually talked about that AA thing. But these boys won in the fall and in 9u. They need to learn how to overcome a little adversity. In our first two tournaments we were competitive in every game. All were won or lost by no more than two runs. We didn't get blown out til this weekend.

Next weekend is a new opportunity.

We are starting to see the challenge of being a small town, invitation only team playing against all of these Austin teams that have dozens of kids try out. We probably have one or two kids that are not AAA players, but more importantly we have a few that just play because they are all best friends. And that's fine and has a huge upside. But the downside is on Sunday morning when they face a little adversity they don't necessarily have the mindset to overcome it. Hard to explain without witnessing it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.