2022 Youth & HS baseball check in (softball too)

56,746 Views | 531 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by aggielax48
docb
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Those walks can be just as costly as an error. Having coached select from 9U to now 14U one of our biggest progressions in getting better was limiting walks and passed balls. They are killers.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Also lost by 3 runs but the error cost 2
docb
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Also lost by 3 runs but the error cost 2
What I'm saying is the two walks and the error cost you 2. If the pitcher had not walked them they would not have scored.
agsalaska
AG
I have to comment on a few things. Sorry for the long post.

Umpires. Don't judge umpires by 50-50 calls. You know why? Because they are right more often than you are on those calls. Most parents and players are about as impartial as a Texags game thread. But the most important thing is, if you want to ***** about the umpiring, DO NOT do it in front of the kids. That is omicron level contagious in a dugout and young kids don't need to deal with that. We always support umpires and the only time we ever have a problem is, like happened to Tarpon, is when they are lazy. But I cannot remember the last time we argued a 50-50 call. And when they make an obvious mistake that's ok. I have never managed a perfect game either.

Chirping- for naysayers, don't interpret chirping as a problem with umpires. Chirping is part of the game and umpires and coaches and fans and players all get that. Chirping is ok.

We are now halfway through 10u, playing AAA after playing 9u AAA. I totally agree that limiting walks and passed balls is what separates teams and I am going to assume that continues all the way to high school. My son's team has beaten majors teams and lost to AA teams, and it is pretty much always walks.

That being said, I think what separates the majors teams from good AAA teams is hitting. It is hard to get kids to swing the bat. . Most of them want to decide one way or another after the pitch is thrown. That's a bad mindset. You want to swing until your decide not to. Huge difference. The majors teams we have seen don't throw any harder or play better in the field or really pitch better than our kids. But they are very hungry at the plate.

Hot moms- With a son in baseball and a daughter in soccer, I am a fair judge. I have to say all of them. Or both.

Edit- Tarpon, I replied to you but wasn't referring to you specifically in my comments on umpires. That was a general statement.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Elko is a loser and we will be buying him out for some obscene amount of money in two years. - Agsalaska

docb
AG
I have my own thoughts on what separates the AAA from the majors kids. I agree that they can really have the same physical abilities as the AAA kids. I think the biggest factor is their baseball IQ. They have a better idea of knowing what to do with the ball and how the game is played. Plus they have that built in desire to compete that I really do not think can be taught.

As far as the umpires I agree that I won't argue a judgement call because they are human and will miss some. The only time I get mad is if they make a call on a play when they were not even looking or if they do not know the rules of the game.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Small brag of my son's weekend. He had a game Saturday afternoon and made all 3 outs in the innings. I get it that might not seem like much but personally I was impressed. He is 7 playing in 8u, First out was a ground ball hit to him where he was alert enough to tag the runner crossing in front of him. Second out was covering second base on a ball hit to SS to get a force at the base. Third out was a pop fly hit to the SS (in the infield grass) which he stayed alert and when it bounced off their glove he scooped it up and threw out the batter at first.

I get many on here might not be too impressed but I couldn't have been more proud because of his alertness on balls that weren't just basic fielding-throw out plays.
Post removed:
by user
WES2006AG
AG
A 9 year old playing baseball at 11pm on a Sunday night is crazy.
docb
AG
WES2006AG said:

Yep. It's just plain stupid as well as playing 4 games in one day. Some of the things I hate about select baseball. I think it was better the way we played as kids but those days are gone unfortunately.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
They really arent....and if more people accepted that and just didnt do select the whole level raises.
TarponChaser
I'm not going to go overboard on the umps but the one crew that was really bad on Saturday was just terribly inconsistent from a balls & strikes POV and lazy in the field. If you're going to have a big zone or a tight zone that's fine just make it consistent. The dude behind the plate just really inconsistent.

As for the error in the championship game, of course it's not the only thing but it was the biggest thing in an otherwise clean ball game.

And the differences between AA, AAA, and major teams depends on age in many cases. From what I've seen at the 12U level between AAA and major is a lot of the major teams will specifically recruit kids who have already hit puberty so in addition to the baseball IQ they're bigger, stronger, and faster. Look at the differences in top velocity- per all the data out there a kid at 12 throwing 65 is considered elite. As in the top 1% for the age. But lots of these major teams will have kids who hit puberty and are running it up there in the low- to mid-70s on a consistent basis. From 50' that's absolute gas, especially if they can throw strikes.

At younger ages the differences tend to be an either/or proposition. Either a kid has great fundamentals and high baseball IQ OR is very physically gifted in terms of size/speed/strength. Sometimes those combine but not all that often in my experience.
docb
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

They really arent....and if more people accepted that and just didnt do select the whole level raises.
If the select organizations would actually allow only select players in that would do the job too but those checks keep cashing.
agsalaska
AG
My son is absolutely stoked about the next two weeks.

Austin PG tournament this weekend
League preseason tournament all next week
Houston Tournament the following weekend
League opening day the following Monday.

He is in baseball heaven.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Elko is a loser and we will be buying him out for some obscene amount of money in two years. - Agsalaska

TarponChaser
docb said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

If the select organizations would actually allow only select players in that would do the job too but those checks keep cashing.

There's some truth to that but I think it's overly simplistic.

In league ball there are too many kids and parents who are just out there. They don't consistently come to practice and they don't really care about getting better. And it's a crap-shoot as to what kind of team you'll be on. You don't have any indication of what kind of coaching you're going to get.

So even if kids aren't ready or as good as most select players they're not going to get better playing league ball due to the lack of reps and the lack of quality coaching. This doesn't mean all select coaches are good but at least you have more mobility to avoid poor coaches.

I look at my own boys as examples.

My oldest made the jump to select in 8U fall ball. He really wasn't the best kid on his league team at all. But he was bigger and stronger than all the other kids and was very up front about wanting to get better and play with better teammates and competition. His entire time in select he's been middle-to-bottom of the pack overall on his teams but he's improved tremendously, including jumping over 11U ball from a 10U AAA team last year to a 12U AAA team now. And he's become a pretty damn good ballplayer who is consistently challenging himself. Hell, last weekend at my younger son's 7U tournament there was a 12U AA game on an adjacent field, I look over and my older boy is right past the 1B dugout by the fence and he's staring at the pitcher working on his lead off, secondary lead, and getting a jump as though he's stealing second depending on what the pitcher did and he'd sprint along the 1B/RF fence to the outfield fence. I didn't tell him to do this, he did it on his own for about 45 minutes.

My 7-year old played league in the fall but he played 8U and was the best kid on the team, if for no other reason than he was always engaged and asking to practice more. He's more middle-of-the pack now but he's benefitted from seeing his big brother and he's always asking me to throw with him, hit him pop flies & grounders, and have him hit. He needs somebody besides me coaching him and based on what I've seen from league the good coaches are very few and far between.

I don't think either one of them is going to jump out at you with athleticism or skill but they're both big, strong, kids who can move and have a willingness to work hard to get better.
lil99chris
AG
What I would like to see is something like 4 teams from a local rec league baseball that have tryouts to participate and practice/play each other in the week and do a few local tournaments throughout the season. These are for families that don't want to play every other weekend or have the constant practice schedule. It will also allow these boys to play at a higher level of competition compared to the normal rec league talent.

I am going to use NW Houston area as an example….

These rec league teams will have an agreement with Tomball, Katy, Spring, and Cypress area leagues and each will host a tournament one weekend a month and play against each other. Start in March and end in June.

I don't see the value for kids living in Tomball/Cypress/Katy that are 8-11 traveling to Beaumont, Pearland, Dickinson, etc to play other teams for a $10 ring. There is plenty of talent in the area. What I have seen is quite a bit of social media bragging.

Select baseball is too big and is now a huge business venture. There is plenty of talent in the local area for boys to play against.

My umpire rant for the weekend. I promised myself I wouldn't complain about balls and strikes, but the umpire was calling strikes at/above eye level in the game. I had kids frustrated left and right walking back to the dugout (even though I told them to adjust after the second strikeout). At the half-inning, I walked over to discuss the strike zone. His only reply was "get over it, it's 10u baseball." I understand his point, but I replied that it is rewarding bad pitching and making kids swing at stuff that we have coached them not go after. His strike zone seemed more acceptable after the conversation, but his attitude sucked from the start.
Post removed:
by user
agsalaska
AG
I was trying my best to keep the select ball/rec ball debate out of this thread, but since the OP responded to the trolling I guess I will chime in.

Select ball is so popular because, for most families, it is a more desirable product than rec ball. It is really that simple. People are choosing what they think is a better option for their kids. Are there problems with select ball? Sure, but there are more problems with rec ball.

Rec ball generally doesn't play a lot of games. Our league plays a preseason tournament and ten games. Then the better teams go on to some summer games. So a lot of kids may get 20-25 at bats in a season. Rec is also generally played on school nights, often late. Some of the organizational requirements, especially Little League, are tough. Then you have the coaches that know nothing about the sport and kids that don't want to be there. And unless you coach your kid generally gets selected by a random team giving the parents zero control over who is coaching their kids.

Select ball allows you to control what team your kid is on. It generally has much better coaches, They play enough games to where they have a chance to improve. They get to travel with their friends. And, the part that the critics seem to completely miss, is the parents have a hell of a lot of fun on those trips. We love weekend tournaments.

Of course it has its downside as well. It drains the talent out of rec. You have more of the stereotype parents though in my experience that is way overblown. And the kids generally don't get to play against other kids from their schools. And yes, there are too many AA teams. But at AAA and majors is really good baseball. And often the tournaments last too long on Sundays.

We are lucky in that our kids play league and select. We have two 10u AAA level teams in our town and 90% of the boys play both and all of the coaches coach both. So our kids get the best of both worlds. My son has a lot of fun at both but for different reasons. He loves striking out kids in his class, but he also loves beating teams from the big cities. However If I told him he had to pick one it would be select 10 times out of 10. He has played with the same kids since t ball. And a lot of the parents grew up together as well.

Last, most of the criticism of select is either a general misunderstanding of the product or just trolling. Most, as in the vast vast vast majority of parents do not sign their kids up for select so they can play in college or get drafted. They don't do it for rings. They don't do it so they can wear the gear or facebook posts or whatever. They do it for the reasons I mentioned above. They think it's a better place for their kids to play and it is a hell of a lot of fun for the kids and the parents. I get some people think that is just too much for kids. Too much competition. Too much winning and losing. etc. But most people who's kids play disagree with that.

Bassmaster
AG
WES2006AG said:

Serious question, why follow this thread? We get it, you hate select baseball, move on.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
lil99chris said:

What I would like to see is something like 4 teams from a local rec league baseball that have tryouts to participate and practice/play each other in the week and do a few local tournaments throughout the season. These are for families that don't want to play every other weekend or have the constant practice schedule. It will also allow these boys to play at a higher level of competition compared to the normal rec league talent.

I am going to use NW Houston area as an example….

These rec league teams will have an agreement with Tomball, Katy, Spring, and Cypress area leagues and each will host a tournament one weekend a month and play against each other. Start in March and end in June.

I don't see the value for kids living in Tomball/Cypress/Katy that are 8-11 traveling to Beaumont, Pearland, Dickinson, etc to play other teams for a $10 ring. It seems like it is more for social media bragging.

Select baseball is too big and is now a huge business venture. There is plenty of talent in the local area for boys to play against.

The league we play in, in the N Hou. area has exactly what you discussed. Rec teams play normal, you for the most part are able to pick your coach because each coach that returns is able to keep 8-9 kids each season. Also starting in 9u (next year 8u) they do a Majors bracket which has a tryout and selection process to be on one of the teams.

Also at the end of the season after the league playoff tournament they mentioned doing an area tournament where our league will play against kids in Cypress, Katy, Sugarland etc.

What you mentioned about the Houston area is exactly my take on the ridiculousness of select ball, why participate in a league where I have to drive all over SE Texas to play games when the same teams could just play a league in their surrounding areas. (I get that this is different if you are in a smaller town away from a metro area)

-Alaska I get what you mean about how great it is to travel...but doesn't that get old? Don't you get sick of being gone all weekend every weekend or every other? How do you have time to get anything done at home, not to mention I occasionally travel for work and last thing I want is to finally get home and hop in a car to be gone all weekend for a baseball tournament.

Those of you with more than one kid how do yall handle multiple tournament weekends or if you have a non playing sibling what the heck do they do the whole time your toting your son around to tournaments?
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Bassmaster said:

WES2006AG said:

Serious question, why follow this thread? We get it, you hate select baseball, move on.
I didnt realize the Title said it was youth "select" baseball season thread...
Cru
S
Just a dad brag.

Got a 6 year old playing his 2nd year of ball. He's a lefty but after the 2nd practice last year he said he wanted to work to be the SS. I told him he'll have to learn to throw with his right hand if that's his goal. A year later he's throwing equally well with his right as he did with his left and he's playing 3rd, SS and 2nd. And to beat you to it, yes we're still working with the left side too.

Couldn't be more proud of him for defining his goal and working to get it.

I'm also amazed at how watching him and working with him and the team has brought the love of this game back to me.
mosdefn14
AG
My pee wee team (3, 4, and 5, "modified" coach pitch) is 0-3, but clearly we're the only ones playing to learn vs playing to win. I'd bet my average player is better than the average player on any team we've played, but I don't think anyone on other teams but the pitchers have made a play. We're definitely learning, and even some of my 3 year olds have made some great stops on ground balls.

I do a baseball card and a helmet sticker for the best offensive player and best defensive player each game. Dad brag, Mosdef JR (5) is 6-6 with 3 triples, 2 doubles and 9 RBIs, and he can't understand why he hasn't won the award each game, so that's a weird conversation about "fair" and "just".

Game 2 we ran lazily to 1B, very frustrating. Yesterday I told the kids anyone who beat the pitcher in a race to 1B would get a speed sticker. Wouldn't you know it, no put outs at 1B but we pulled up early running to home for an out 4 times.
agsalaska
AG
mosdefn14 said:

My pee wee team (3, 4, and 5, "modified" coach pitch) is 0-3, but clearly we're the only ones playing to learn vs playing to win. I'd bet my average player is better than the average player on any team we've played, but I don't think anyone on other teams but the pitchers have made a play. We're definitely learning, and even some of my 3 year olds have made some great stops on ground balls.

I do a baseball card and a helmet sticker for the best offensive player and best defensive player each game. Dad brag, Mosdef JR (5) is 6-6 with 3 triples, 2 doubles and 9 RBIs, and he can't understand why he hasn't won the award each game, so that's a weird conversation about "fair" and "just".

Game 2 we ran lazily to 1B, very frustrating. Yesterday I told the kids anyone who beat the pitcher in a race to 1B would get a speed sticker. Wouldn't you know it, no put outs at 1B but we pulled up early running to home for an out 4 times.
I volunteer coach a t-ball team for fall ball. Me and my 10 year old son. He coaches third and a couple of other dads and moms of course help out.

It is an absolute blast. Nothing will ever beat t-ball.

agsalaska
AG
Quote:

Alaska I get what you mean about how great it is to travel...but doesn't that get old? Don't you get sick of being gone all weekend every weekend or every other? How do you have time to get anything done at home, not to mention I occasionally travel for work and last thing I want is to finally get home and hop in a car to be gone all weekend for a baseball tournament.
No not really. Most of the parents have been friends since they were kids. And those of us not from town fit into that pretty well. So when we travel we tend to take over hotels, bars, swimming pools, etc. All of the siblings come because the grandparents are also there. A couple of parents are stationed at Ft Hood so you know they are fun.

We have a blast. My view is probably skewed a bit from the fact that these boys have all played together or against each since they could walk.

We played 14 tournaments last year and will play about as many this year. Probably stay in six hotels.

And I traveled constantly in my old job for years. This is nothing like that. Hotels with my family and friends are fun. That was not as fun.

Quito
AG
We have a Mom that's also a photographer. She brings her camera most of the time and gets great action shots.

Highly recommend hiring one to get sone shots of your boys. It's fairly cheap when split up equally.

agsalaska
AG
We also have that mom.

Bassmaster
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Bassmaster said:

WES2006AG said:

I would welcome his discussion. But instead, his only posts on this thread are insulting select baseball. He doesn't have a single post that isn't of that nature.
WES2006AG
AG
Bassmaster said:

WES2006AG said:

I don't hate select baseball so much as hate the lunacy that it creates.

Follow up serious question, if there any other activity that you would want your 9 year old participating in at 11pm on a school night?
agsalaska
AG
Bassmaster said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Bassmaster said:

WES2006AG said:

I would welcome his discussion. But instead, his only posts on this thread are insulting select baseball. He doesn't have a single post that isn't of that nature.
The answer is not to reply to the troll. He has been trying for a month and finally got his wish.

Bassmaster
AG
WES2006AG said:

Bassmaster said:

WES2006AG said:

I don't hate select baseball so much as hate the lunacy that it creates.

Follow up serious question, if there any other activity that you would want your 9 year old participating in at 11pm on a school night?
This is the last time I'll engage you, but I think this warrants a response because it is a valid question that seems crazy to anyone who doesn't know how it works.

My answer - Most of the parents who are out there agree with you. They would rather not be out that late. They are stressing over the fact that is late and what the plan will be as soon as the game is over. But, it is extremely rare. Most teams never sniff a game after noon on Sunday. That only ever becomes an issue for teams who actually have a chance to win a tournament. That is only the top handful of teams in any given tournament. The vast majority of teams have never won a tournament or even played in a championship game late on Sunday night. It is a complete non-issue for 80-90% of select kids. Even for the teams who are really good, they still don't make it to the championship game every weekend or even most weekends. Additionally, if games run on time, championship games usually start no later than 8:00, but they do get behind at times and it sucks. Sometimes they start earlier depending on field availability. We made the finals two weeks ago and the championship game started at 6. We were home by 8:30. We have played in somewhere around 10-15 championship games in the past couple of years. We have been out past 11:00 a grand total of 1 time. That one time sucked....bad. You know how many times one of my kids has struggled to go to sleep on a Sunday night and been awake at or later than 11 for non-baseball reasons? A lot more than once.
baseballaficionado
[No need for the personal attacks. Next time will be some time off - Texags Staff]
Post removed:
by user
baseballaficionado
My wife is a teacher and we argue a lot about modern day school issues. She has no problem with the tournaments that run late. The kids can handle the long days, weather, etc. better than the parents, but if your kid has issues, that is something you can address on an individual level. There are a multitude of reasons why a kid might stay up late and every kid has done so on occasion.

Also, I don't want to turn this political, but..... My son is learning more about life on the baseball field than he is in the current crappy schools. Get them to bed early so they can learn some CRT in the morning! Guess where you really get to know cultures and learn to get along with everyone?

Most people locked their children up during covid, but guess who for the most part, didn't do that? Pony, LL, and the rest of rec ball shut down. Perfect game and USSSA kept going, team practices and scrimmages kept going. These kids played ball, hung out with their baseball families and lived pretty normal lives for the last few years. They are much more well adjusted at this point than your average non-sports kid.
baseballaficionado
[If you have questions about the moderation of this forum, please reach out to us - Texags Staff]

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.