2022 Youth & HS baseball check in (softball too)

56,601 Views | 531 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by aggielax48
96ags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
baseballaficionado said:

96ags said:

baseballaficionado said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

baseballaficionado said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

My son is 7 and is just about to start his 8u season on Saturday (first practice) We play rec ball and he enjoys it and if that continues we will see where is goes from there when he is 11 or so. I am in no rush and neither is he. He enjoys playing and that is all that I really care about. Could he do more if I push more, probably, could he also get pissed and quit also possible so we go with the flow because, he's 7. Past season we have had 12 on the team and at most usually only had maybe 1 miss per practice. New league this year and we have 13 kids, 5 are new to our team so we shall see how that goes.

I coach his teams, never intended to do that going in to this but his first year the team didn't have a coach and I figured better to do it myself as I played my whole life and coached high school ball then get irritated with a dad that volunteers and didn't know anything.

My son is the second smallest on the team, the smallest kid is barely 7 playing up so he's on the same team as his brother who is the oldest on the team. I only allowed this because I watched the younger one play some at our practices the year before...he's better than his older brother all around skill wise. Age wise we have 8 that are already 8, 3 others will turn 8 before the season ends. The other dads like to joke that the two smallest on the team have the two strongest arms, I just shrug.

I know not everyone agrees, but if your kid is good enough and wants to, you need to get him on a select team by at least 9u, which is the start of kid pitch.

You are already behind because select coach pitch starts at 6u and gets pretty competitive by 8u. Rec just isn't going to replace the competition and reps. If your rec team pitchers walk everyone, or your kid strikes everyone out, your 1st baseman never gets any throws because nobody is stopping the ball, etc. -- you are just spinning your wheels -- which is fine if the family just wants to view it as an activity.
Obligatory username check out...

But in my opinion baseball for a kid under 11...is an activity. What exactly would you consider it? Honest question, id like to know what you consider baseball at 7-11yrs old? Everyone has their own opinion so there is absolutely zero judgment here

On that path though through coaching high school ball off and on over 8 years, being around high school players etc. for nearly 20, most kids are not going to make it and are going to burn out so I choose to make it fun, if my son comes to me next season and says "dad, this isn't very much fun because the rest of the team isn't very good, can I play with better people, then we will cross that bridge...but in those 20 years of all those kids I've been around 2 which have made it to the majors. I know dozens who have played D1 and various college levels and it is astounding how few play all through college or even a second season.

It's not about the majors, it's about being the best you can be and playing at a higher level -- if the kid wants it.

Maybe they want to make a high school team and be done after that. If you are playing rec at 11, your kid is going to be at a disadvantage even for a high school team.

There are 11u kids who hit 275+ tanks already. Most of it is natural ability, but the coaching and so many games, reps and competitions drive those kids to be better as well.

That's just simply wrong. There is no measurable advantage that can't be overcome between 11 and high school.

I've seen it way too many times.

Yup, good coaching doesn't make the kids better. Also, practice and reps against quality competition, does nothing. You're right.

Nope, not at that age.

Look, I'm all for doing whatever you want and I personally wouldn't trade my time driving my son all over everywhere playing travel ball, but it's not true to say that waiting until 11 to play select will put a kid behind.

baseballaficionado
96ags said:

baseballaficionado said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

baseballaficionado said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

My son is 7 and is just about to start his 8u season on Saturday (first practice) We play rec ball and he enjoys it and if that continues we will see where is goes from there when he is 11 or so. I am in no rush and neither is he. He enjoys playing and that is all that I really care about. Could he do more if I push more, probably, could he also get pissed and quit also possible so we go with the flow because, he's 7. Past season we have had 12 on the team and at most usually only had maybe 1 miss per practice. New league this year and we have 13 kids, 5 are new to our team so we shall see how that goes.

I coach his teams, never intended to do that going in to this but his first year the team didn't have a coach and I figured better to do it myself as I played my whole life and coached high school ball then get irritated with a dad that volunteers and didn't know anything.

My son is the second smallest on the team, the smallest kid is barely 7 playing up so he's on the same team as his brother who is the oldest on the team. I only allowed this because I watched the younger one play some at our practices the year before...he's better than his older brother all around skill wise. Age wise we have 8 that are already 8, 3 others will turn 8 before the season ends. The other dads like to joke that the two smallest on the team have the two strongest arms, I just shrug.

I know not everyone agrees, but if your kid is good enough and wants to, you need to get him on a select team by at least 9u, which is the start of kid pitch.

You are already behind because select coach pitch starts at 6u and gets pretty competitive by 8u. Rec just isn't going to replace the competition and reps. If your rec team pitchers walk everyone, or your kid strikes everyone out, your 1st baseman never gets any throws because nobody is stopping the ball, etc. -- you are just spinning your wheels -- which is fine if the family just wants to view it as an activity.
Obligatory username check out...

But in my opinion baseball for a kid under 11...is an activity. What exactly would you consider it? Honest question, id like to know what you consider baseball at 7-11yrs old? Everyone has their own opinion so there is absolutely zero judgment here

On that path though through coaching high school ball off and on over 8 years, being around high school players etc. for nearly 20, most kids are not going to make it and are going to burn out so I choose to make it fun, if my son comes to me next season and says "dad, this isn't very much fun because the rest of the team isn't very good, can I play with better people, then we will cross that bridge...but in those 20 years of all those kids I've been around 2 which have made it to the majors. I know dozens who have played D1 and various college levels and it is astounding how few play all through college or even a second season.

It's not about the majors, it's about being the best you can be and playing at a higher level -- if the kid wants it.

Maybe they want to make a high school team and be done after that. If you are playing rec at 11, your kid is going to be at a disadvantage even for a high school team.

There are 11u kids who hit 275+ tanks already. Most of it is natural ability, but the coaching and so many games, reps and competitions drive those kids to be better as well.

Quote:

That's just simply wrong. There is no measurable advantage that can't be overcome between 11 and high school.

I've seen it way too many times. And mostly likely, that kid hitting "275 ft tanks" at 10 will be an easy out in high school because he has a hole in his swing he learned in 8-10u travel ball.

Research a team called "Elite RBI" out of Leander, TX. They were playing up to 12u majors as a 10u team and dominating. Do you think these kids would be where they are playing Pony or LL? Do you think they would have recognition to a high school coach? Again, it depends on what the kid wants to do now and moving forward, but the kids playing select are at a major advantage. Outside of coaching, reps, etc. -- do you think that high school coach knows anything about some lifelong Pony league player?

The guys hitting 275+ at 11, don't have any swing flaws. Here are two local examples of kids who dominate and have zero flaws. Again, they have talent, but wouldn't be where they are by playing LL or Pony once a week:

https://www.perfectgame.org/Players/Playerprofile.aspx?ID=906705

https://www.perfectgame.org/Players/Playerprofile.aspx?ID=812987

I only post their information because it is all promoted and public information.
agsalaska
AG
Ok fellas let's move on. This is exactly what we would like to avoid on this thread.

Feel free to start another thread on the subject. I have my opinions and I'm sure we will all be happy to share. But not on this thread

Thanks
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Elko is a loser and we will be buying him out for some obscene amount of money in two years. - Agsalaska

baseballaficionado
Sorry to hijack.
Quito
AG
Good discussion, thoughts and opinions. I would love to know the answer, but can only form my opinions based on my experiences.

I was the kid who's parents simply signed him up for rec and dropped me off at practice. They always came to my games and knew I loved sports, but either didn't know the commitment it took, or didn't think it was a good use of time. I grew up in DeSoto in the 80's and didn't start baseball until 3rd grade when my football coach asked me.

I LOVED baseball, but was never really coached until my Junior year of high school...Coach Benny Jones at DeSoto. 3rd - 5th grade I played Rec and wasn't very good, but I worked hard. I watched the Rangers as much as I could, I watched "This Week in Baseball", and I played games by myself throwing a ball up in the air and if I could run and touch the house before the ball stopped, it was a hit...I even had a pitching system I worked out by throwing tennis ball against the fence. I started making "All Stars" in 6th Grade and was asked to play on a Select team starting in 7th Grade...I think the league was BBI in Dallas and our games were played up North and we played a couple tourneys, but nothing very serious.

By High School I was good enough to be on Freshman team, then JV and finally Varsity. Again, my Dad never worked with me and I was never really coached on any fundamentals until I was a Junior...I was raw and everything I knew came from watching other players.

As for my kids, I posted earlier in this thread. My 8U is on a select team coached by a buddy of mine who pitched at Richmond back when they were pretty good. My 10U is on the best 10U team in KC Metro and is a very good player on the team....he switch hits, plays catcher, pitcher and 3rd base. I obviously work with both boys quite a bit. It's what we love. They actually beg me to take them to the fields to hit...we usually turn it into a HomeRun Derby using some made up rules to keep it fair between the 8U and 10U.

I think the kids exposed to good coaching and competition at an early age are at a SIGNIFICANT Advantage. Not saying you can't "Catch-up", but that it would take a special kid to catch up...either bigger and significantly more athletic, or the kid like me who would do anything to play baseball all day, even to the point I played games all by myself.
TAM85
I am on the back nine of what you guys have in front of you.

When going through this one of my concerns was my boys getting tired of baseball. I tried to keep them hungry for it by playing other sports and not pushing (or allowing) them play all they wanted or work on it too much, and to sometimes bite my tongue about how they played or what to work on. Don't forget, this is their experience.

We have played basketball and baseball in high school which is a tough overlap. It was generally baseball in the spring and summer and basketball in the fall and winter. Other than timing of the seasons, I think the sports complement each other in the skills they require and develop. Football likely has similar benefits, although we finished that up in middle school.

Could the kids have been better if they focused on just one sport in high school? Perhaps. Would it have lead to burnout or injury? Likely. Is it okay as a parent to watch a sport in a crowded gym during the winter with a clock, so you know when it will end? Yes.

From a baseball perspective, I think kids can catch up on defensive skills and base running if they don't play for a season or even a year. For pitchers I think it is beneficial to take a few months off each year, at least until college. It seems to me hitting is the thing you can fall behind on when missing reps or taking a year off, especially as the players get older and the pitching improves.

Good luck with it and enjoy it. Remember it is your kids journey, and you get to watch and help occasionally (but don't be the parent that coaches from the stands) and bite your tongue on advice more than you want to.
TarponChaser
**LONG RESPONSE INCOMING**

I don't think it's "select" baseball in and of itself. It's just the fact that these days that's where the competition is and in most cases you're going to get better coaching there. And that's how kids get better- playing against better competition and getting better quality instruction.

When I was playing Little League in Bryan North in the late-80's/early-90's there was no such thing as "select" baseball. In fact, there was only Little League. Nothing associated with PONY League or any of the other affiliated governing bodies like USSSA or Perfect Game or Five Tool/Nations. I know there are other national governing bodies that have been around a long, long time (like at least 50-60 years, maybe more) but in BCS back then it was only Little League.

You could play t-ball from like 5-7, minors were for 7-9, and majors were 10-12. Around the time I was 12 or so they created a "senior minors" division for 9-10 year olds (IIRC) to create some distance between the age groups and to put 10-year old kids who maybe just started playing or just weren't any good. I think tryouts for majors were probably in late-February or early March. Then we played a 16 game schedule over about 8 weeks. Then the coaches from the respective teams in the league voted on the All Star team. All Stars was the path to the state championship and regionals and eventually the Little League World Series in Williamsport, Pennsylvania.

The next year we had to jump from Little League rules and fields (46' mound, 60' bases, ~200' fences, closed bases, no leads, 2-1/4" bats) to "Junior League" which was under the aegis of Little League Baseball but went to "real" baseball. 60'6" mound, 90' bases, and generally 300'+ fences plus lead-offs, open bases, and big-boy bats. This was solely for the 13-year old age group and went up through the same All Stars to a World Series of its own. Let me tell you that was a tough transition- I mostly played catcher & 3rd base but played 1st and OF some and let me tell you those throws down to second or across the diamond from 3rd were LOOOOOOOONG. I don't recall anybody hitting any bombs over the fence at that point but trying to cover that big outfield made for a lot of triples and inside-the-park home runs.

Then for 14-15 year olds we went to "Senior League" which was again under the Little League Baseball purview and again with "real" baseball rules. Obviously the growth and maturity which comes from age made for better quality baseball and we started hitting bombs again and actually throwing out guys trying to steal bases. Again, there were All Stars which went up to an age group World Series.

There was overlap for most of us our freshman year of HS and our 15-year old seasons in "Senior League" but after that it was just HS ball. For years there was nothing but American Legion ball in BCS after the HS season ended and you had to be a stud to make the Legion squad because not only were the guys generally HS upperclassmen but the Legion team drew kids from more than just BCS but a number of surrounding towns.

Then the summer after my sophomore year in HS they started a Connie Mack league. I seem to recall the Legion winding down for some reason. In fact, the current American Legion Baseball website doesn't show a single Legion team in Texas anymore. Connie Mack is part of the AABC (American Amateur Baseball Congress) for kids from like 14-19.

There was no fall baseball or anything like that. Nobody did private lessons. No special facilities either. I didn't play with anybody who made the majors but I can think of probably a dozen guys who played either big time college ball (D1 specifically- whether a mid-major conference or major) and/or in the minor leagues for a stretch. I was also fortunate to have some really good coaches - a bunch of guys who played college or minor league ball and even a couple former MLB players. But that was really the luck of the draw. And it's night & day when looking at the overall skill level when I see a lot of good select players today vs. 99% of the guys I grew up with. Even most of the guys who played in college or professionally weren't as fundamentally advanced at such a young age.

I was a mediocre HS baseball player. The highlight of my baseball career was probably striking out on 3 pitches vs. Kerry Wood in HS summer ball (dude was like 6'5" 225# throwing 95mph gas at 17). Either that or hitting a 400'+ bomb off a friend who played at San Jac and in the Yankees organization for a couple years. Anyway, as a D1 football player I was a better athlete than baseball player. Maybe if I'd had the higher level of competition and instruction from a young age I could have been a college baseball player, who knows? Or maybe I wouldn't have worked so hard for football and developed there?

I used to be very opposed to our boys moving to select until about 11 or 12 but I got my mind changed 4 years ago when our oldest was in 7U league ball. There's a whole multitude of reasons but it boiled down to the fact that he just wasn't going to get the reps against competition to make him better. Same goes for our youngest- he turned 7 back in August and played 8U league ball in the fall and was by far the best player on his team. There were kids who were bigger and stronger who could throw harder and hit the ball harder but from a consistent, fundamental baseball perspective the years of him watching & playing with his older brother were huge but he's on a 7U select team now and he's nowhere close to being top of the roster.

I've said it before but it bears repeating- regardless of the sport they're playing I'm not really concerned with wins & losses at this point and nor am I concerned about having the best 11-year old or 7-year old (not even the best 13-14 year old either). I want them to win enough to keep it fun so they learn to love the game and see the success that comes with their hard work while competing against the best competition they can and keep putting in that hard work so that when they're 16-17 and close to full grown (at least in height) all their hard work at the fundamentals intersects with their athleticism and, in all likelihood, being 6'4"-6'5" for my oldest and 6'3"-6'4" for my youngest.

My 7-year old almost daily asks me to hit him grounders & pop flies and set up the net so he can hit off the tee or do soft toss. And even a broken wrist my 11-year old is insisting to go to practice so he can run, throw, learn the advanced baseball IQ stuff his coaches are teaching, and get all the cuts he can with his 1-hand bat.

My job as a dad with them is to love, support, and encourage them while keeping them grounded. It's different for the different ages but athletically I want them to learn to control what they can control; attitude, effort, and intensity. And be good teammates. If they put in the work the and give their best at those things they can control everything will work out.

Also, even with the low odds of advancing beyond HS in any sport, I find all the naysaying and hand-wringing over youth sports in America in general to be pretty ridiculous. Go look at what they do abroad in soccer- in all of Europe, the UK, and South America they take kids as young as 9-10 years old and put them in academies where they're away from their families and basically go to a boarding school where all they do is play soccer and go to class. There's a lot of this for baseball too in places like the Dominican Republic and formerly in Venezuela. Same for hockey in Canada and in the European Nordic countries- in Canada they take kids who are barely in HS and do the boarding school thing. In fact, one of the kids on my oldest's team is originally from Canada and has 2 older brothers who played junior hockey where at 14 they went off to boarding schools.

@baseballaficionado - let's pump the brakes on the Elite RBI team. Don't get me wrong, they're an outstanding 11U ball club, my older son's team played them a couple times in 10U. They lost both times but they were close games. Anyway, per their page on Perfect Game they played up from 11U and beat one 12U major team.
TAM85
One of the benefits of youth baseball is that it keeps the parents off the streets for a few hours.
Brad 98
AG
This is a great thread! My son is in 9u AAA select ball here in DFW. I like most parents, would have liked to have to kept him in Rec, but he is far more advanced at his age then most players at 9. I have enjoyed reading the opinions of everyone here
baseballaficionado
TarponChaser said:

**LONG RESPONSE INCOMING**

I don't think it's "select" baseball in and of itself. It's just the fact that these days that's where the competition is and in most cases you're going to get better coaching there. And that's how kids get better- playing against better competition and getting better quality instruction.

When I was playing Little League in Bryan North in the late-80's/early-90's there was no such thing as "select" baseball. In fact, there was only Little League. Nothing associated with PONY League or any of the other affiliated governing bodies like USSSA or Perfect Game or Five Tool/Nations. I know there are other national governing bodies that have been around a long, long time (like at least 50-60 years, maybe more) but in BCS back then it was only Little League.

You could play t-ball from like 5-7, minors were for 7-9, and majors were 10-12. Around the time I was 12 or so they created a "senior minors" division for 9-10 year olds (IIRC) to create some distance between the age groups and to put 10-year old kids who maybe just started playing or just weren't any good. I think tryouts for majors were probably in late-February or early March. Then we played a 16 game schedule over about 8 weeks. Then the coaches from the respective teams in the league voted on the All Star team. All Stars was the path to the state championship and regionals and eventually the Little League World Series in Williamsport, Pennsylvania.

The next year we had to jump from Little League rules and fields (46' mound, 60' bases, ~200' fences, closed bases, no leads, 2-1/4" bats) to "Junior League" which was under the aegis of Little League Baseball but went to "real" baseball. 60'6" mound, 90' bases, and generally 300'+ fences plus lead-offs, open bases, and big-boy bats. This was solely for the 13-year old age group and went up through the same All Stars to a World Series of its own. Let me tell you that was a tough transition- I mostly played catcher & 3rd base but played 1st and OF some and let me tell you those throws down to second or across the diamond from 3rd were LOOOOOOOONG. I don't recall anybody hitting any bombs over the fence at that point but trying to cover that big outfield made for a lot of triples and inside-the-park home runs.

Then for 14-15 year olds we went to "Senior League" which was again under the Little League Baseball purview and again with "real" baseball rules. Obviously the growth and maturity which comes from age made for better quality baseball and we started hitting bombs again and actually throwing out guys trying to steal bases. Again, there were All Stars which went up to an age group World Series.

There was overlap for most of us our freshman year of HS and our 15-year old seasons in "Senior League" but after that it was just HS ball. For years there was nothing but American Legion ball in BCS after the HS season ended and you had to be a stud to make the Legion squad because not only were the guys generally HS upperclassmen but the Legion team drew kids from more than just BCS but a number of surrounding towns.

Then the summer after my sophomore year in HS they started a Connie Mack league. I seem to recall the Legion winding down for some reason. In fact, the current American Legion Baseball website doesn't show a single Legion team in Texas anymore. Connie Mack is part of the AABC (American Amateur Baseball Congress) for kids from like 14-19.

There was no fall baseball or anything like that. Nobody did private lessons. No special facilities either. I didn't play with anybody who made the majors but I can think of probably a dozen guys who played either big time college ball (D1 specifically- whether a mid-major conference or major) and/or in the minor leagues for a stretch. I was also fortunate to have some really good coaches - a bunch of guys who played college or minor league ball and even a couple former MLB players. But that was really the luck of the draw. And it's night & day when looking at the overall skill level when I see a lot of good select players today vs. 99% of the guys I grew up with. Even most of the guys who played in college or professionally weren't as fundamentally advanced at such a young age.

I was a mediocre HS baseball player. The highlight of my baseball career was probably striking out on 3 pitches vs. Kerry Wood in HS summer ball (dude was like 6'5" 225# throwing 95mph gas at 17). Either that or hitting a 400'+ bomb off a friend who played at San Jac and in the Yankees organization for a couple years. Anyway, as a D1 football player I was a better athlete than baseball player. Maybe if I'd had the higher level of competition and instruction from a young age I could have been a college baseball player, who knows? Or maybe I wouldn't have worked so hard for football and developed there?

I used to be very opposed to our boys moving to select until about 11 or 12 but I got my mind changed 4 years ago when our oldest was in 7U league ball. There's a whole multitude of reasons but it boiled down to the fact that he just wasn't going to get the reps against competition to make him better. Same goes for our youngest- he turned 7 back in August and played 8U league ball in the fall and was by far the best player on his team. There were kids who were bigger and stronger who could throw harder and hit the ball harder but from a consistent, fundamental baseball perspective the years of him watching & playing with his older brother were huge but he's on a 7U select team now and he's nowhere close to being top of the roster.

I've said it before but it bears repeating- regardless of the sport they're playing I'm not really concerned with wins & losses at this point and nor am I concerned about having the best 11-year old or 7-year old (not even the best 13-14 year old either). I want them to win enough to keep it fun so they learn to love the game and see the success that comes with their hard work while competing against the best competition they can and keep putting in that hard work so that when they're 16-17 and close to full grown (at least in height) all their hard work at the fundamentals intersects with their athleticism and, in all likelihood, being 6'4"-6'5" for my oldest and 6'3"-6'4" for my youngest.

My 7-year old almost daily asks me to hit him grounders & pop flies and set up the net so he can hit off the tee or do soft toss. And even a broken wrist my 11-year old is insisting to go to practice so he can run, throw, learn the advanced baseball IQ stuff his coaches are teaching, and get all the cuts he can with his 1-hand bat.

My job as a dad with them is to love, support, and encourage them while keeping them grounded. It's different for the different ages but athletically I want them to learn to control what they can control; attitude, effort, and intensity. And be good teammates. If they put in the work the and give their best at those things they can control everything will work out.

Also, even with the low odds of advancing beyond HS in any sport, I find all the naysaying and hand-wringing over youth sports in America in general to be pretty ridiculous. Go look at what they do abroad in soccer- in all of Europe, the UK, and South America they take kids as young as 9-10 years old and put them in academies where they're away from their families and basically go to a boarding school where all they do is play soccer and go to class. There's a lot of this for baseball too in places like the Dominican Republic and formerly in Venezuela. Same for hockey in Canada and in the European Nordic countries- in Canada they take kids who are barely in HS and do the boarding school thing. In fact, one of the kids on my oldest's team is originally from Canada and has 2 older brothers who played junior hockey where at 14 they went off to boarding schools.

@baseballaficionado - let's pump the brakes on the Elite RBI team. Don't get me wrong, they're an outstanding 11U ball club, my older son's team played them a couple times in 10U. They lost both times but they were close games. Anyway, per their page on Perfect Game they played up from 11U and beat one 12U major team.

I agree with everything you said. With that said, you can't argue with Elite RBI being rated by PG as the 2nd best 11U majors in the south and 4th in the nation. I misspoke about 12u majors, but they do play up in 12 open and 12AAA. It just so happened that the 12 open wins were mostly against 12 AAA. Anyway, everything else you said is spot on.
agsalaska
AG
My son has his first 10u tournament this weekend. PG AAA in Austin area. They went 27-4 in fall league and weekends ball in the fall and won two tournaments. But that was mostly local teams.

Had the rec team draft this weekend and were able to get two of his friends in the draft. But league doesn't start until the end of the month.

One advantage of living in a smaller town is our kids all play league and select. Well, not all, but most. That makes our 8u, 10u, and 12u leagues pretty competitive. There is also very good cooperation between all of the coaches not to abuse arms. We also play in Texas Teenage instead of LL so we don't have to adjust between closed and open base. League is really important for our boys and we will play through 12u.

My son is stoked about baseball starting. He looks really good. He threw 44 pitches on Sunday in a sandlot game and wasn't sore. Nobody is hitting for **** so hopefully we can pitch and field.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Elko is a loser and we will be buying him out for some obscene amount of money in two years. - Agsalaska

TarponChaser
baseballaficionado said:

I agree with everything you said. With that said, you can't argue with Elite RBI being rated by PG as the 2nd best 11U majors in the south and 4th in the nation. I misspoke about 12u majors, but they do play up in 12 open and 12AAA. It just so happened that the 12 open wins were mostly against 12 AAA. Anyway, everything else you said is spot on.

Not at all. They're a great squad.

It was my son's old team when they played them but they're an extremely sound team from a fundamentals perspective. There wasn't anybody on the team who stood out to me as a stud athlete in terms of hitting bombs or throwing gas or making highlight reel defensive plays but they just didn't make errors and everybody knew what they were supposed to do in any situation- extremely high baseball IQ.

You'll see top 11U majors teams play 12U at times but rarely do they play the top 12U majors teams because those teams very often pick kids who have already started puberty so between 11U and 12U and even within 12U there's frequently a massive physical difference because some guys have already hit puberty. When you get those kids who hit puberty relatively early and are fundamentally sound, watch out.

Also- how about some shake-ups in the baseball world? Like Houston Wildcatters (who I've never heard of) buying the Dynasty organization up here in Kingwood? Looking at the records, the Wildcatters teams weren't very strong but they get a big private facility with professional coaches and a couple turf practice fields (plus a grass field). Evidently, all the major level teams at Dynasty which include some top regional and nationally ranked squads are officially "Wildcatters" now but the AAA and AA squads at Dynasty will rebrand in the fall.

I've also heard that ZT bought out or is in the process of buying Banditos. ZT has been buying up teams all over- I know they bought the Arlington Twins organization. And ZT has, at least at one park, paid a ton of cash to upgrade the facilities. Pep Mueller Park in Houston where my older son's team is based just got turf infields, re-sodded outfields, new fences, bleachers, and sidewalks. Supposedly they're trying to upgrade fields because Baseball USA is allegedly being sold to a developer.
bigcat22
AG
Quito… did you happen to know or play with anyone named Hunsucker at Desoto?
Quito
AG
bigcat22 said:

Quito… did you happen to know or play with anyone named Hunsucker at Desoto?

Jay Hunsucker was older than me. I remember watching him as a kid going to the varsity games.

I was DHS class of '95
bigcat22
AG
Ah gotcha. Jay was my select coach for several years and by far the best coach I ever played for.
Bassmaster
AG
One thing is certain about Elite RBI...they aren't going to school on Mondays. We've been in a tournament or two with them but never played them. Seems like they are in Houston every other weekend.
baseballaficionado
Bassmaster said:

One thing is certain about Elite RBI...they aren't going to school on Mondays. We've been in a tournament or two with them but never played them. Seems like they are in Houston every other weekend.

Come on, bud. They go to school. Lots of H-town teams play down here every weekend, too.
PhatMack19
AG
I had a kid quit this week. Actually the parent quit. The week of the Biggest tourney of the year. All because he sat 2 innings of our 4 games last weekend. Dad was drunk and started screaming when I put a kid at 2nd base that never plays there in a game we were up 11-0 on Sunday.

Parents suck. This is my 2 hole with the highest avg on the team btw.
agsalaska
AG
PhatMack19 said:

I had a kid quit this week. Actually the parent quit. The week of the Biggest tourney of the year. All because he sat 2 innings of our 4 games last weekend. Dad was drunk and started screaming when I put a kid at 2nd base that never plays there in a game we were up 11-0 on Sunday.

We had that happen in 9u fall ball(we are now 10u). We came out struggling making the adjustment from coach pitch because we were playing majors teams who had a lot of kids that were playing their second year of kid pitch. Started the year 1-5. This kids mom was a tyrant. Brand new to the team, a team with 8 kids who had been together since tball. He was starting at 1st and batting 2nd and to the boy's credit was playing well.

The next week the kid just didn't show up at practice. No call no show.

Since then our team has won several tournaments, grown together as a group of friends, gone hunting together, fishing, camping, all of that. The boy that quit joined a team that we have played once, beating them 15-2.

95% of the parents are great, but 5% are stooooopid. Since then we have picked up two new kids but we are more concerned about parents than kids.

Can;t wait to get this show on the road tomorrow.

Lonestar_Ag09
AG
PhatMack19 said:

Sounds like a win...Character over production in my book, every time
PhatMack19
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

PhatMack19 said:

Sounds like a win...Character over production in my book, every time

I agree, but the kid is a great kid. Played for me for 2 years and never had a problem with him or the parents. I found out more to the story later. Dad's buddy is starting a new team and dad is going to help coach. Buddy's kid team hops and has been on 6 teams in the last year in a half. It won't end well for them and the only one hurt is the kid. Oh well, I tried….
TarponChaser
Sucks for the kid his old man is like that. But probably better off for your team in the long run.

I know a handful of parents like that. Fortunately it's not a lot.
TREX01
I have a 15 y/o freshman, When he was 9, myself and two friends started a "select" team and took the first 12 kids that wanted to play. By the time they were 12, we were the #1 rated AAA team in the country. We had no super stars, the ratings for teams done by these governing bodies is a joke. There might not be one kid out of that group that plays college ball. Only 3 or 4 of them are varsity players as freshman in small HS. Projecting any kid before they play on a regulation size field is just a shot in the dark. Lots of grown kids in 12U that are mature beyond their years and end up flaming out. There are alot more 14/15 yo freshman that are 100-120 lbs that grow up around their junior years and end up being the studs that the flamed out 12's thought they would be.
agsalaska
AG
All in all we had a good weekend. 10u AAA in Kyle(Austin)

Went 1-1 both days with very tough draws both days. The pitching and defense were very good.

We played 20 innings and struck out 32 times but struck out 31 batters. The pitching was winning all over the tournament.

Son pitched and hit well. Thru 5.1 allowing only 1 run on two hits.

I felt kind of bad for him though. With only one umpire we were bound to have some missed calls. He got robbed of a hit when the umpire said the CF caught it when he didn't, and was on the wrong end of two bad balk calls.

We need two umpires but like everywhere else they are suffering from a staffing shortage. All in all they did a good job but man, its pretty hard to see the entire field.

Playing again next weekend.

Lonestar_Ag09
AG
5.1 in a single game or spread out? How many pitches was that in a weekend? What did he do the other 14.2 innings?
agsalaska
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

5.1 in a single game or spread out? How many pitches was that in a weekend? What did he do the other 14.2 innings?
Spread out. He threw 63 total pitches. 31 pitches 25 strikes on Saturday and 32 pitches 19 strikes on Sunday.

Otherwise he played 3B and CF and bench.

He can't throw again til tomorrow.

baseballaficionado
TREX01 said:

I have a 15 y/o freshman, When he was 9, myself and two friends started a "select" team and took the first 12 kids that wanted to play. By the time they were 12, we were the #1 rated AAA team in the country. We had no super stars, the ratings for teams done by these governing bodies is a joke. There might not be one kid out of that group that plays college ball. Only 3 or 4 of them are varsity players as freshman in small HS. Projecting any kid before they play on a regulation size field is just a shot in the dark. Lots of grown kids in 12U that are mature beyond their years and end up flaming out. There are alot more 14/15 yo freshman that are 100-120 lbs that grow up around their junior years and end up being the studs that the flamed out 12's thought they would be.

Post a link to the team rating, it is all archived.

Any PG 10 is a sure fire pro player. They might not make it big, but I have never seen a PG 10 not get a chance.
baseballaficionado
TREX01
This was at year end. Mid April we were ranked at the top. Either way it shows just how flawed the ranking system is. Just because you play alot of games doesnt mean. You are one of the best
baseballaficionado
TREX01 said:

This was at year end. Mid April we were ranked at the top. Either way it shows just how flawed the ranking system is. Just because you play alot of games doesnt mean. You are one of the best

USSSA rating is much more flawed than Perfect Game. Keep in mind, that your rating reflected 13 AAA. Majors and AA have their own rating under USSSA.

Edit- I see 122 for your 13 aaa national ranking.
AggieJ2002
AG
We just got back home to SoCal from the big PG tourney in Houston (12 Majors Division). Definitely didn't play our best this weekend just missing out on the top bracket, but just didn't play our best ball this weekend. Disappointing to travel so far and just have an off weekend.

Overall, was a very good weekend, but had 3 major complaints:

1) We traveled all the way from SoCal and our 2nd pool play game was against a team we've played twice recently in SoCal and is from SoCal. Hate traveling all that way and playing against teams in our neck of the woods in pool play.

2) (as is very common) we had that ump that had one goal of getting the game over as quick as possible. Not biased against any team, but had an enormous and inconsistent strike zone to try to get through 6 innings as soon as possible. God forbid you get behind by 3 or 4 runs, then all the calls go against you as he tries to get it to a mercy rule to end it early. Can't stand umps that do this, but having been a football official I saw it way too often.

3) Above ump was our home plate ump for 4 out of our 5 games even at facilities an hour apart. Very frustrating.

Overall, a really fun weekend, and it was great to get to visit home and have family at our games.
TREX01
baseballaficionado said:

TREX01 said:

USSSA rating is much more flawed than Perfect Game. Keep in mind, that your rating reflected 13 AAA. Majors and AA have their own rating under USSSA.

I explained myself, I told you the rankings across the board are a joke. You said I wouldn't post it, I did. I dont know where to find mid year ranking and frankly dont want to take the time.
baseballaficionado
TREX01 said:

baseballaficionado said:

TREX01 said:

I explained myself, I told you the rankings across the board are a joke. You said I wouldn't post it, I did. I dont know where to find mid year ranking and frankly dont want to take the time.

You posted something completely different than you were implying. USSSA points ranking can be manipulated by an abundance of tournaments, double points, etc. It is truly meaningless. The power rankings aren't great, but they aren't as bad as you are making them out to be, either. Even if you were highly rated at one point, with more data, the system adjusted your team accordingly.

Again, Perfect Game is far superior and they don't rank many teams or players. The ones they do, are legit.

Also, there is a huge talent gap between AAA and majors.
agsalaska
AG
Would y'all please stop arguing like little children. Y'all are worse than my ten year olds. Go right fight somewhere else.

TREX01
Sorry about that. I think you know who was doing the arguing. All I did was state examples.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.