***Official Houston Astros 2021-22 Offseason Thread***

563,136 Views | 6776 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AggiEE
EastCoastAgNc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
tjack16
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

Prototype A logo has been my go to since 2015.

Great read on the rainbow uni and the prototype logo - https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/20219881/the-history-houston-iconic-rainbow-uniforms-story-worth-telling

Bought this one today. I'm a sucker for the navy and gold designs
tjack16
AG
Mr.Bond
AG
tjack16 said:

Tuve at 28 is criminal
EastCoastAgNc
AG

This guy just can't get through a year without something happening...
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

He threw 200+ innings 17, 18, & 19. Then he made 12 starts in the shortened year. Last year is when he had an issue.
TREX01
We are going to see more and more issues post covid. These guys all got off their normal routines and had to bring their bodies back to handle the stress of throwing a baseball at a high level.
Bonnettecj1
You're thinking of Syndergaard. That dude is a walking injury, but if he can ever put together a full season, hooo boy.
. . .
EastCoastAgNc
AG

This has to be an April fool's joke
Proudag06
AG
Farmer1906 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

He threw 200+ innings 17, 18, & 19. Then he made 12 starts in the shortened year. Last year is when he had an issue.

Phrasing is a little bit of a roller coaster if you are a Mets fan.

Degrom dealing …

…with shoulder tightness

bigjag19
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

This has to be an April fool's joke

You don't like the idea of them actually explaining why they are screwing us?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
No, I think it's long overdue. It's just something that would actually be good for the game, which runs completely counter to what I would expect from Manfred. I'm all for it if it's real, but given what today is, I'm cynical.
bearkatag15
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Great, we get to hear Angel Hernandez and his whiny voice explain to us how he messed up the call. I have a feeling it's gonna be like the old days where the silent movie star finally speaks and it's some puny voice that makes everyone laugh.

FWIW, I'm glad they fixed this.
Ag_07
AG
I think it's an awful idea for a couple reasons.

One it slows the entire process down. It already takes too long on some of these calls and in the end they still get them wrong.

Two it gives the umpires a platform to make it about them. We already know they like to do that.

Just keep it the way it is and have them talk about it post game. Every game has an umpire media session where any calls that are asked about it are discussed. If they can get on the PA and talk to 50k people at the stadium and everyone in TV then they can talk to a room full of media members.
Farmer1906
AG
I am fine with something simple like - "Video review showed that the call is overturned" or "Video review was inconclusive, call stands". It's more information without some rambling nonsense.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Ag_07 said:

I think it's an awful idea for a couple reasons.

One it slows the entire process down. It already takes too long on some of these calls and in the end they still get them wrong.

Two it gives the umpires a platform to make it about them. We already know they like to do that.

Just keep it the way it is and have them talk about it post game. Every game has an umpire media session where any calls that are asked about it are discussed. If they can get on the PA and talk to 50k people at the stadium and everyone in TV then they can talk to a room full of media members.
As long as someone doesn't Ed Hochuli it, it should be OK. If they try to make it about themselves, the crowd will give them the appropriate feedback.
eeaggie11
AG
I have always felt that the audio from the review should be available for fans to hear.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Proudag06 said:

Farmer1906 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Phrasing is a little bit of a roller coaster if you are a Mets fan.

Degrom dealing …

…with shoulder tightness

You could use nothing but Psych gifs for a whole season of baseball. God bless you for this.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
W
AG
hard to believe DeGrom is already 34 years old.

the Mets wasted his prime years
EastCoastAgNc
AG
W
AG
speaking of the Mets...forgot that Robinson Cano (age 39) is still on their payroll for a cool $24 MM this season.

he was one of the first 10-year mega contract players
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

I wouldnt have thought he was IN contention to be on the roster with some of the new utility guys we have recently picked up
Farmer1906
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

I wouldnt have thought he was IN contention to be on the roster with some of the new utility guys we have recently picked up
He has over 900 PA in AAA with a .877 OPS. Last year alone it was 1.007. His sample size in the bigs is still small and spread out, but he has hit lefties fairly well. He's already 28 so it's pretty much now or never with him.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

He has over 900 PA in AAA with a .877 OPS. Last year alone it was 1.007. His sample size in the bigs is still small and spread out, but he has hit lefties fairly well. He's already 28 so it's pretty much now or never with him.
The roster has 13 position player slots:
1. Gurriel
2. Altuve
3. Pena
4. Bregman
5. Brantley
6. Chas
7. Siri
8. Tucker
9. Castro
10. Machete

11. Alvarez

12. Goodrum
13. Diaz

Plus I would put Brinson in front of him as the next guy up. In your analogy I guess the answer is never.
redline248
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

1. Gurriel
2. Altuve
3. Pena
4. Bregman
5. Brantley
6. Chas
7. Siri
8. Tucker
9. Castro
10. Machete

11. Alvarez

12. Goodrum
13. Diaz

Plus I would put Brinson in front of him as the next guy up. In your analogy I guess the answer is never.
Inevitable injuries or time off are going to happen. Goodrum, so far, appears to be worse than Robel Garcia. Jones has also been serviceable in the OF. I'd bet he's up around the big club for a while, at least. His biggest problem has been how good Yuli still is. The Astros will have to decide what to do with him, soon, though.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I'm talking opening day roster...
EastCoastAgNc
AG
redline248
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Yeah, I know. The "now or never" discussion seemed to go past that, I guess.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
redline248 said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Yeah, I know. The "now or never" discussion seemed to go past that, I guess.
Jones is from Seattle. I kinda wish we could have gotten the Mariners to take him instead of Toro in the Graveman deal.
The Porkchop Express
AG
I should have had this massive time wasting idea earlier, but it is what it is. We're 6 days from Opening Day, this is the 60th year of Astros baseball, so I'm going to cover a decade a day of our history of opening days. I went to 13 home openers in a row from 1987-1999, even when that meant skipping college classes, which I usually didn't need an excuse for, or skipping work, but let's see how our squad has faired historically on opening day. Feel free to chime in for games you went to / remembered. Pretty sure I could look at every box score in MLB history and never get bored.

April 10, 1962: Colt .45s 11, Cubs 2 - The ultimate Cubs' punchline. Not only did the Colt .45s beat the **** out of them in the first regular-season game in club history, but they also swept them to open the season and finished with a better record on the year. 25,271 people at Colt Stadium, game took 2 hours, 32 minutes. RF Roman Mejias became the greatest player in franchise history, going 3-for-5 with 2 HR, 3 R, and 6 RBI. Team had 13 hits and only struck out twice. Ernie Banks homered for the Cubs. Bobby Shantz went the distance for Houston, 5-hitter, 2 walks, 4 Ks.

April 9, 1963: Giants 9, Colt .45s 2: Second year of the franchise and they only drew 19.591 for the home opener. No bueno. It did not help that Orlando Cepeda, Willie Mays, Willie McCovey, and Felipe Alou all hit home runs. GIants had 17 hits. Rusty Staub made his Astros debut and went 1-for-3.He had turned 19 a week earlier.

April 13, 1964: Colt .45s 6, Reds 3: First road opener in franchise history. This was a one-game opener, then the team came home to host Montreal the next day for 3 games. Jimmy Wynn had a 2-run bomb and Nellie Fox had 2 RBI. PItching held defending NL Rookie of the Year Pete Rose to an 0-for-4 game. Ken Johnson, who would later pitch 2 no-nos for the team, got the win. 8 innings, 5 hits.

April 12, 1965. Phillies 2, Astros 0: First regular-season game at the Dome. 42,652 people there. Chris Short pitches a complete-game 5-hit shutout with 11 Ks for Philly. Bob Bruce allows 2 earned runs in 7 for the good guys. After 2 late-season callups, Joe Morgan starts the season at 2B and goes 2 for 3.

April 12, 1966: Dodgers 3, Astros 2: Robin Roberts got the start for the Astros at age 39 with 281 career wins under his belt. Went 7 innings, allowed 1 earned run and 1 walk. Claude Osteen pitched a complete-game 6-hitter for the bad guys.

April 11, 1967: Astros 6, Braves 1: Mike Cuellar, on his way to a then-team record 16 wins, threw a complete game 5 hitter with 7 strikeouts and 0 walks against a Braves lineup featuring Felipe Alou, Hank Aaron, Joe Toree, Rico Carty, and Clete Boyer. Astros were down 1-0 in the 7th and scored 6 in the bottom half of the inning. Texarkana's own Eddie Matthew, at the end of a HOF career, had a big RBI triple.

April 10, 1968: Astros 5, Pirates 4 : The first walkoff opening game win in team history! Larry DIerker started at age 21 and went the distance. Down 4-2 in the bottom of the ninth, Astros got a single from whoever the hell Ivan Murrell is to get to 4-3, and a two-run triple from Bob Aspromonte to win it. Pirates lineup featured Maury Willis, Roberto Clemente, Matty Alou, Bill Mazeroski, and Willie Stargell.

April 8, 1969: Padres 2, Astros 1: First season losing fewer than 90 games and first time not finishing with a losing record (81-81). Dick Selma pitched a 5-hitter with 12 strikeouts for the Padres. The late, great Don WIlson took the L for the good guys.

April 7, 1970: Astros 8, Giants 5: How about Larry Dierker vs. Gaylord Perry at Candlestick Park on Opening Day? Norm Miller hit a pinch-hit 3-run jack off Perry in the 7th to turn a 3-2 deficit into a 6-3 lead. Giants had to suffer that season with Bobby Bonds batting leadoff, Willie Mays batting third, and Willie McCovey batting cleanup. Future Astros manager Hal Lanier started at shortstop for the Giants.

April 5, 1971: Astros 5, Dodgers 2: Even though this game happened before I was alive, it seems really satisfying to beat those dicks on Opening Day. Dieker had the crazy stat line of 9 IP, 10 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 4 K for the win and Cesar Cedeno went 2-for-3, laying the foundation on an epic year. He was 20 years old by about 6 weeks on opening day, on his way to a season where he led the league in doubles (40), had 6 triples, 10 HR, 81 RBI, 20 steals, and 85 runs scored.

The next 10 years tomorrow!

Feels so good, feelin' good again.
Farmer1906
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

1. Gurriel
2. Altuve
3. Pena
4. Bregman
5. Brantley
6. Chas
7. Siri
8. Tucker
9. Castro
10. Machete

11. Alvarez

12. Goodrum
13. Diaz

Year starts at 28. 29 if there is a DH. Unless we just want to carry extra pitching only, there might be room for 14 or 15.

Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I believe there is a rule that you can only carry 13 position players. The extra spots are for pitchers. Maybe I misunderstood
Farmer1906
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

I believe there is a rule that you can only carry 13 position players. The extra spots are for pitchers. Maybe I misunderstood
Normally there is a limit on pitchers (13 on the 26 man), but I don;t believe they have announced one for 2022. It should be however Click and Dusty decide. I think the rule in Sept was a limit of 14 pitchers for the expanded roster.
First Page Last Page
Page 186 of 194

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.