***Official Houston Astros 2021-22 Offseason Thread***

563,937 Views | 6776 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AggiEE
Proudag06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Marvin said:

Something to consider in Correa's logic (ESPN):

" Correa has enjoyed great success in Minnesota as a visiting player, though. He has a .413 batting average (26-for-63) at Target Field with five homers and 20 RBIs in 15 games. His 1.205 OPS is his highest at any ballpark where he has played four or more games."

This same stat could be used for literally the opposite argument as well. He hit .413/1.205 against Twins pitching at Target field who is now the only staff he can never face there.
n_touch
W said:

BCSGrubber said:

This is all about Boras setting Carlos up to be the premier free agent next offseason to cash in.
in one sense Correa's taking the short-term deal is groundbreaking.

he's betting on himself again. Most young free agents don't do that. They take the long-term money like Harper, Machado, Lindor, et al

Was he offered those types of contracts? The only team that did or at least has been public about it was the Orioles. Those offers were not there from the start and he hoped by bringing in Boras that it would change. Many of us said that even before the lockout. His wants and his offers were not aligning from the get go or he would have signed quick. Teams were not falling at his feet like he expected.

Mr.Bond
AG
Carlos
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

W
AG
perhaps there has finally been a long, long overdue front office shift when it comes to mega-contracts (beyond 5 or 6 years)
Mathguy64
AG
In the span of 12 hours a one time franchise QB goes out the door followed by a franchise SS. There would have a time when that would have been unthinkable.
Proudag06
AG
Will see how well he does without the luxury of hitting 6th in one of the best lineups in baseball.

Would have liked to have him on a short term deal but we will be fine. He had a career year last year, maybe it's a revelation and maybe it's an aberration.
agproducer
AG
So, moving forward, I think the Astros should take a look at Kevin Pillar for short term OF help.

We should look at Trevor Rosenthal for relief, and take a flier on Chris Archer for SP.
tjack16
AG
Ag_07 said:

Just crazy to me that going back to last season it was 'CC is gone. Enjoy it while it last because he's leaving' and now it's 'GDit fk Crane that cheap ass POS'.

Yeah the narrative and expectations changed over the last 2 weeks with all the reports pointing to him coming back on a short term deal
. . .

Ag_07
AG
That's why it's so weird for MIN.

They're not one SS away from being a contender. So they pay him $35MM and he opts out and he's gone and they're back to square one.

It's not like they may win it all this one year and it would be worth it.
bearkatag15
AG
They have a really good SS prospect that isn't quite ready that they probably think can step in for Correa in a year or 2
agproducer
AG
Ag_07 said:

They're not one SS away from being a contender. So they pay him $35MM and he opts out and he's gone and they're back to square one.

And, they have Royce Lewis ready to take over.
Mathguy64
AG
So someone is lying. Either the O's never offered 350/10 or CC doesn't really want 10 years. Because that 350/10 is what he claimed to want.
Sex Panther
AG
Mathguy64 said:

So someone is lying. Either the O's never offered 350/10 or CC doesn't really want 10 years. Because that 350/10 is what he claimed to want.

Yeah except it's Baltimore
12law
AG
Sex Panther said:

Mathguy64 said:

Yeah except it's Baltimore

I'll live in Baltimore for a lot less than that.
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

Correa = headlines, ticket sales, and soon to be prospects after the trade deadline. Kind of a 4D chess move.
Mathguy64
AG
Except with the opt outs anyone trading for him is trading for a rental so you won't get as much of a return on the prospect front.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
I am very, very mad.

I just wanted everyone to know.
agproducer
AG
Fangraphs projects the Twins to be 81-81.

I'm not sure that's updated, but it sounds about right.
Farmer1906
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Except with the opt outs anyone trading for him is trading for a rental so you won't get as much of a return on the prospect front.

Sure, it's just a rental but that gets them prospects the don't have now. You can't just buy prospects. This way they can. Plus it'll be a mini try out for the new team and Correa.
Frok
AG
Mathguy64 said:

One thing I've learned is sports reporters know nothing.

They were not close on Watson or Correa.
tjack16
AG
Frok said:

Mathguy64 said:

Yep. 3 days ago Cleveland was totally out of the Watson sweepstakes. And Correa was being offered the 10 year 350 deal from Baltimore
Farmer1906
AG
I don't normally goto Seth for baseball takes but this feels right.

Proudag06
AG
tjack16 said:

Frok said:

Mathguy64 said:

Yep. 3 days ago Cleveland was totally out of the Watson sweepstakes. And Correa was being offered the 10 year 350 deal from Baltimore

Agents leak info to them in order to leverage the information for their clients. Reporters probably suspect this but they don't care because there is no accountability for truth/accuracy but only being first and getting clicks in the social media news cycle.

The reader is the one that must realize this and take everything (blue check or not) with a grain of salt.
Deluxe
AG
Yea that's a real good take
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Anybody else want to join me in being pissed now?
Deluxe
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

I'm good. Excited to see the kid play.
bearkatag15
AG
Carlos probably hurt
Farmer1906
AG
Granato has been wrong on this deal the entire time. He was spouting off about 8/200 a couple of months back. What happened to there was almost a deal a couple of days ago to being ghosted for? Weren't the players excited?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Granato has been wrong on this deal the entire time. He was spouting off about 8/200 a couple of months back. What happened to there was almost a deal a couple of days ago to being ghosted for? Weren't the players excited?
There never was almost a deal. That was all made up BS from the baseball media folks to drum up clicks/interest.
BMX Bandit
EastCoastAgNc said:

Not at all.

Boras calling to get the 1 year opt out. Glad Crane didn't play that game.

Astros can't be held hostage by 1 player. Let's tie up Tucker & Yordan, best of luck Carlos. Puerto Rico lovely in October
CoachRTM
AG
We're not gonna know the truth about what happened for a year or more. We're still in prime "spin season" for agents and teams, especially since Correa could be in the same spot next year
AggiEE
Really interested to see what the Astros next moves are, tbh.

Losing Correa leaves a pretty big hole vs. last year, only made worse by the loss of LMJ and Greinke vs last year. Do we go after Story? Do we roll with Pena and get an OF instead?

I still think we have some pretty big relief issues and we've done absolutely nothing on that front. And our starting pitching could be a big question mark.
Frok
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

I would take that with a grain of salt. These guys have been wrong about everything.
W
AG
I agree that this was a 4-D chess move by the Twins.

they will trade him at the deadline for prospects.

and roll the dice that there will be numerous teams interested
First Page Last Page
Page 157 of 194

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.