***Official Houston Astros 2021-22 Offseason Thread***

563,942 Views | 6776 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AggiEE
Marvin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Something to consider in Correa's logic (ESPN):

" Correa has enjoyed great success in Minnesota as a visiting player, though. He has a .413 batting average (26-for-63) at Target Field with five homers and 20 RBIs in 15 games. His 1.205 OPS is his highest at any ballpark where he has played four or more games."
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Alright James, you want to BS all the time about how you want to "improve the roster", time to grow a pair and back up those empty words with actions.
MaxPower
Story will get $100M. I see no point in letting Correa go for basically the same amount, especially with the lingering questions about his elbow and bat away from Coors.
tjack16
AG
I'd personally go option 2.

But I'd be happy with option 1 because I do think Pena will be really good. So I'm excited to see how he plays this year, but it would be nice to have an established all star at SS for this season.
MaxPower
Conforto makes more sense for us, especially with Mike leaving after 2022. He will also be cheaper than Story. I'd add to that list they need to extend one of Tucker or Yordan.
tjack16
AG
Conforto hasn't really done much the last 2-3 seasons. I'd personally go Soler (Crawford boxes would help too)

Castellanos would have been the best option but that ship sailed
EastCoastAgNc
AG
MaxPower said:

Story will get $100M. I see no point in letting Correa go for basically the same amount, especially with the lingering questions about his elbow and bat away from Coors.
In Crane's defense, he does enjoy giving $33M/yr contracts to people whose elbows are dangling by a thread.
tjack16
AG
Who would that be?
astros4545
AG
tjack16 said:

Who would that be?
Dont stop him now, he's on a roll
Ag_07
AG
Just stop

The list of who Crane has spent money on is much longer than the ones he hasn't.

The false narrative that Crane is cheap is one of the most inaccurate takes on these threads.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
tjack16 said:

Who would that be?
tjack16
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

tjack16 said:

Who would that be?

So his elbow was shot when we traded for him in 2017 and took on his existing contract with the Tigers?

Or in 2019 when he won the Cy Young?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Ag_07 said:

Just stop

The list of who Crane has spent money on is much longer than the ones he hasn't.

The false narrative that Crane is cheap is one of the most inaccurate takes on these threads.
My anger here is not about Correa and one contract. It's about the general attitude of the ownership / management since Lunhow got kicked to the curb. There are opportunities out there to improve the team in free agency, but they refuse to do so. Every signing is a "who's that". I'm not saying you need to sign a big name just to sign a big name, but make a damn effort to improve things. Also I generally just don't like James Click and his approach. All this BS about looking to improve the roster any way they can when they have 0 interest in actually doing it. Don't piss down my leg and tell me it's raining.
tjack16
AG
agproducer
AG
If Luhnow was still here, I don't think he would have even entertained resigning Carlos. The idea is to replenish your talent from within, then strategically add veterans that add value.

Click appears to have the same mindset. I think we are more likely to see Tuck and Yordan extended.

Verlander and Greinke were the outliers.

astros4545
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Ag_07 said:

Just stop

. Every signing is a "who's that". I'm not saying you need to sign a big name just to sign a big name,

It sounds like that is exactly what you are saying
EastCoastAgNc
AG
astros4545 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Ag_07 said:

Just stop

. Every signing is a "who's that". I'm not saying you need to sign a big name just to sign a big name,

It sounds like that is exactly what you are saying
I mean sign someone who has stats to back up the signing / justify the value. Goodrum is a prime example.
tjack16
AG
So far click has yet to make a move that has hurt the Astros. Have their been some misses? Yes. But they've been cheap misses (Pedro Baez, Souza, etc)

What you can't have happen is an expensive miss like other teams have had (Heyward, Anthony Rendon, Trevor Bauer, Sonny Gray, etc)

Obviously Click has been here 2 years and has a different mindset than Lunhow, but so far what he has done has worked.

He got Graveman, who was a big name. And traded for Phil Maton, which most people thought was a WTF moment but it panned out. He re-signed Brantley which was huge, and re-signed Yuli after a putrid 2020 compaign… and it resulted in a batting title.
W
AG
Correa to the Twins on a 3-year deal?

sometimes the truth is stranger than fiction
W
AG
well, at least Tucker won't be hitting in the 7-hole this season
Ag_07
AG
Brought back Brantley after he had one foot out the door
Resigned Yuli to a helluva deal

And yeah...They finished 1/2 in the batting title race.

They spend. They spend smart. But to say they don't is inaccurate.
W
AG
the key to making up Correa's production...

is getting 150 games out of Bregman near his 2018-2019 production
tjack16
AG
W said:

well, at least Tucker won't be hitting in the 7-hole this season

1. Altuve
2. Brantley
3. Bregman
4. Alvarez
5. Gurriel
6. Tucker

Or do you flip Brantley and Tucker?
Marvin
AG
Glad to have it done, ready to move on. Excited to see how Crane and Click complete the roster for another playoff run- whether immediately or as the season progresses.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
agproducer
AG
I'd flip Yuli and Tuck. Yordan and Tuck both hit lefties well, so the two in a row are no big deal.
agproducer
AG
Also, not resigning CC gives the Astros flexibility at the trade deadline. At some point, they need to think about replenishing the farm.
W
AG
Brantley will probably play 120 games or so again; the issue might take care of itself.

Tucker will bat in the 2-hole at least 1/3 of the season
tjack16
AG
2019-2020 Off-Season:
- lost Gerrit Cole
- replaced his production with healthy LMJ, good Framber, and serviceable rookies
- ALCS game 7

2020-2021 Off-season:
- lost Springer
- replaced his production with healthy MVP caliber Yordan, MVP caliber Tucker and serviceable rookie play from McCormick, Meyers, Siri, Straw
- Won AL Pennant

2021-2022 Off-season
- lose Correa
- replace production with ?????

We need fully healthy Bregman and Altuve, then serviceable SS play from Pena, Diaz or potentially Story

Long story short = window is open if this team stays healthy
W
AG
yes, and another positive...

the Astros won't be in payroll prison going forward.

can start working on extensions for Tucker & Yordan
Panama Red
AG
nm
W
AG
BCSGrubber said:

This is all about Boras setting Carlos up to be the premier free agent next offseason to cash in.
in one sense Correa's taking the short-term deal is groundbreaking.

he's betting on himself again. Most young free agents don't do that. They take the long-term money like Harper, Machado, Lindor, et al
. . .
Ag_07
AG
Just crazy to me that going back to last season it was 'CC is gone. Enjoy it while it last because he's leaving' and now it's 'GDit fk Crane that cheap ass POS'.
W
AG
plus the AL West is the worst / easiest division in baseball outside of the NL Central.

definitely the worst in the American League
Panama Red
AG
I'd put AL central below west. They had 1 .500 team last year.
First Page Last Page
Page 156 of 194

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.