***Official Houston Astros 2021-22 Offseason Thread***

563,913 Views | 6776 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AggiEE
tjack16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
At the beginning of the off-season, if I had said "would you sign Correa to a 3 year deal that had an opt out after 2?"

I'm pretty sure 95% of the people on this board would say yes
Mr.Bond
AG
Vaya con Dios puta
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

Frok
AG
So what about the Twins does Correa like? If you are wanting to get a long term deal in the upcoming years it seems being on the Astros would have been ideal. The Twins might be good but that's questionable.

He must have not been getting that many offers.
KTAG05
AG
This is all about Boras setting Carlos up to be the premier free agent next offseason to cash in.
tjack16
AG
Frok said:

So what about the Twins does Correa like? If you are wanting to get a long term deal in the upcoming years it seems being on the Astros would have been ideal. The Twins might be good but that's questionable.

He must have not been getting that many offers.

Daniella going to be spending a lot of time at the Mall of America.

She's going to hate Minnesota
redline248
AG
Quote:

I find it fascinating and sad they will give a 38 year old JV coming off a blown elbow $50M but won't give their guy who is 26 $100M. Both would have opt outs.
3B Paul 97
AG
I'm ok with this. Let's get Story, extend Tucker & Alvarez and go win some more hardware.
redline248
AG
Farmer1906 said:

tjack16
AG
Okay so now that he's gone.

Extend Tucker, Alvarez, and see if Story will take a 2 year deal.
Beerosch
AG
Dude wanted opt outs so he could bolt for more money after one good season so **** him. Astros matched the money even bettered it considering Minnesota income tax. Time to boo him when he comes to town. At least he won't hurt us in the playoffs.
BMX Bandit
Many player wives don't live in city husband plays in.
Mathguy64
AG
Well this was a wonderful thing to wake up to.
Big Al 1992
AG
Astros in Minnesota in May. Carlos returns to Houston in August. Chances Minnesota is out of playoff picture by then and Astros are a couple weeks from clinching are pretty pretty good.

htxag09
AG
tjack16 said:

At the beginning of the off-season, if I had said "would you sign Correa to a 3 year deal that had an opt out after 2?"

The way I read that was opt outs after each of the first two. So it's basically a year to year contract if he performs. Sure, it's easy for us to say no brainer and be mad at not matching. But can you really blame crane for not wanting to go through this crap after every year? Especially when you made him the highest paid infielder? I mean there should be some kind of reassurance and commitment from the Correa side too. Saying, well I'd like to test the market every off season of our deal and only return if nothing is better is kind of bull ****
Beerosch
AG
Will he even see if he's on the IL?
3B Paul 97
AG
Exactly. He gets hurt and stays with you. Great season and he looks to get paid elsewhere or force you to pay more.
AustinCountyAg
htxag09 said:

tjack16 said:

The way I read that was opt outs after each of the first two. So it's basically a year to year contract if he performs. Sure, it's easy for us to say no brainer and be mad at not matching. But can you really blame crane for not wanting to go through this crap after every year? Especially when you made him the highest paid infielder? I mean there should be some kind of reassurance and commitment from the Correa side too. Saying, well I'd like to test the market every off season of our deal and only return if nothing is better is kind of bull ****

This. All this Correa drama reconfirmed what I always thought of him. Pretentious pretty boy. He reminds me of Arod. For him to want opt outs after year 1 just so he can go sign elsewhere is crap. Astros stuck by him through all the bull**** injuries. Two way street bub. Good on Crane for not giving in to that crap.

Extended tucker and alavarez and go find a starting pitcher.
mwm
Got Hinched. Again.

Whoops. I had A.J. at Minnesota not Detroit. My bad.
Big Al 1992
AG
So get Story for not nearly what you'd have to pay Carlos, with Peña getting more experience, and that's not a bad situation at all.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
I have serious doubts over whether the Astros actually want someone other than Pena at shortstop.
tjack16
AG
htxag09 said:

tjack16 said:

I totally agree I wouldn't want this again next off season.

I would have still given him that offer, and then if he opts out again next season… don't try again, say best of luck and just move on no hesitation.

Best case, you get 2-3 years of prime Carlos Correa, worst case you get 1 year of prime Correa and it gives Pena a year of development.
Ag_07
AG
The more I think about it the more I'm glad we didn't match that contract with the opt outs.

Carlos is just using the MIN and I'm glad we didn't give in. Crane wanted him to stay and be a part of the winning culture and Carlos wants a stepping stone.

F that...I'd have been fine with an opt out after a couple years but a year to year contract gives him all the power.
tjack16
AG
I'm glad he didn't go to the Yankees, Dodgers, Rangers or any other real contenders.

But it sucks losing your favorite Astros in back to back off seasons
htxag09
AG
Well worse case would actually be you get injured Correa year after year for 3 years and pay 100+mm for it. Not saying I think that's what happens but you can't ignore it as a possibility

Also, who's to say Peña is the only back up option. With Correa fully out of the picture maybe we move on to story. Maybe cranes been in talks with other teams and wants to see how Peña plays out through the year but has trade options.

You being committed to Correa and him not committed to you adds variables other than bull**** drama. Hard to build your team when one of the biggest pieces may or may not throw the deuces at anytime. Stability is important.
agproducer
AG
This is super disappointing, since they apparently were so close. I'm not going to fault Crane or Click on this one. I don't blame them for not wanting to give CC a year to year contract. Carlos will get to see what is like to sit at home in the postseason for several years. The Twins don't have a hope or a prayer in that division.

That being said, the club still needs upgrades, and it is a massive blue to the clubhouse. It seemed like all the players though the longer this strung out, the more they thought he'd be back. Management has some work to do repairing that relationship.

I'm not in on Story. I'd rather just roll with Pena, sign an outfielder and get some relief help.
Big Al 1992
AG
If Minnesota is out of it before trading deadline does an opt out mean they can shop Carlos to a contender for a late season push?
Ag_07
AG
MIN is essentially Boras' pawn.
Farmer1906
AG
Mathguy64
AG
Now the issue is the market is set and Story may very well look for something similar. I wouldn't be holding my breath on that front.
tjack16
AG
Next off season we need to go all in on a corner OF to replace Brantley, and a top end starter (DeGrom)
Ag_07
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Now the issue is the market is set and Story may very well look for something similar. I wouldn't be holding my breath on that front.

I doubt it for Story.

Coming from COL he'd be an idiot to sign a one year deal. Cash in on the uptick playing in Coors gave you and don't look back.
Marvin
AG
Add a good bat, whether SS or OF.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Deluxe
AG
Yea he's gonna demand a 5-6 year deal. He's a couple years further into his prime than Correa. The time is now for him to get paid.
tjack16
AG
I will say I'm very happy to say I was at MMP for 2 of his more iconic moments

2019 Walk off ALCS Game 2 HR

2021 ALCS Game 1 it's my time HR
. . .
First Page Last Page
Page 155 of 194

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.