***Official Houston Astros 2021-22 Offseason Thread***

563,968 Views | 6776 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AggiEE
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Who's gunna tell them?

Deluxe
AG
I'm excited to see what Peña can do and see how we deploy that $$ to improve the roster elsewhere
amercer
AG
So the Astros didn't want to keep him?

Dumb move if we could have gotten him for that same deal.
Marvin
AG
Like many, I don't get it. I do agree with Crane and Click wanting some stability.

Good news is that this should allow space for some trade deadline deals.

And for Carlos, loved you man. What great postseason memories. Too bad you're now stuck in a hellhole of a city with no shot at doing what you do best.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Pahdz
If the opt outs were the sticking point I'm glad we stood our ground.

If he was gonna go anywhere I'm glad it's here, at least I can watch him play on the regular.

I'm gonna catch so much crap at church tomorrow and work Monday.
MaxPower
We will have the money for a trade but dunno if we have the prospect bullets.

I find it fascinating and sad they will give a 38 year old JV coming off a blown elbow $50M but won't give their guy who is 26 $100M. Both would have opt outs.
linkdude
AG
Maybe it was the second opt out that was the sticking point?
n_touch
Roast me all you want but to me its still about the scandal. A year or to removed from the Astros and fans forget quick what happened, plus he showed what he could do for a different team. Maybe better offers come his way. No way he was rolling in offers from all these team and the Twins became the ideal fit. The only other massive contract was from the Orioles, that is very telling.
mwm
Bye.
Farmer1906
AG
BadAggie
AG
Sure it's a business, not sure how you otherwise don't keep at least one of Correa or Springer long term.

Farmer1906
AG
Coog97
Gonna be interesting to see if this is the start of a new era of "mercenary baseball." Obviously, opt-outs aren't a new concept, but I feel like this may be setting a precedent. Big deals going forward, even long-term ones, are gonna have the player-option opt-out in the early years. Sign a 7 year / $245MM deal and win an MVP in year one? Opt out and hit the market looking for a new 7 year for $265MM. Once the horse has left the barn…
Wabs
AG
OK, get busy spending some ****ing money now.
tjack16
AG
Just woke up and saw this

I'm absolutely floored we did not match that offer. Wtf
SECcess12
Played out just like I thought. Story would get intensified interest once Correa signed. Especially from Astros.
Farmer1906
AG
tremble
AG
Pretty concerning for the sport IMO. Part of the draw is really good players sticking around teams for at least a few years. If they escalate opt-outs to every season it's going to be a bit of the Wild West in terms of fan engagement.
tjack16
AG
I'd love to hear how this all went down.

A team NOBODY thought would get him, and he signs for 3 years 35 MM per??

There's got to be more to this story.
CFTXAG10
AG
Too soon
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Farmer1906 said:

BayAg_14
Looks like cheap Houston franchise owners is a common theme.
n_touch
tremble said:

Pretty concerning for the sport IMO. Part of the draw is really good players sticking around teams for at least a few years. If they escalate opt-outs to every season it's going to be a bit of the Wild West in terms of fan engagement.

Don't see this happening across the board. To hard to build a team if you dont know year after year who you will have.
tjack16
AG
I could have stomached it more if he took the 10 year Baltimore deal.

What sucks now is he will opt out, and be a free agent again after 2023. Which he probably would have done here anyways had we matched that offer. So we lost out on having another 2 years of Prime Carlos
Taxman90
AG
I think I agree with not giving him opt outs. It's not a move that a team with a $200mm payroll and plans for competing for titles for many years can do easily. Too much uncertainty. It's definitely a move a team with a $130mm payroll just hoping for one crack at glory can make.

We don't have the minor league system to enhance through trades unless we take on bad contracts, we need to get Story. Pretty much him and Soler left of the top 50 free agents. I may be missing one.

Warming up on Story's road splits. Horrendous last year but acceptable in previous 3. Plus Minute Maid is nice for righties so won't lose all the home numbers.
Coog97
n_touch said:

tremble said:

Don't see this happening across the board. To hard to build a team if you dont know year after year who you will have.

"Not our problem."
-Scott Boras and friends

FWIW, I hope you turn out to be right.
wangus12
AG
Coog97 said:

n_touch said:

tremble said:

"Not our problem."
-Scott Boras and friends

Scott Boras is a disease. I put him just below Putin who need to be removed from this world
Deluxe
AG
Reasonable take, although I think we have more coveted guys in our system than the rankings would have you believe. Our player development system is top notch.
Farmer1906
AG
BayAg_14 said:

Be mad but Crane has been anything but cheap. Tilman and Les weren't afraid to spend either.
n_touch
BayAg_14 said:

Your forgetting one factor. The player. Was it a given that Carlos wanted to stay? There was probably more to it than just money in this situation.
CoachRTM
AG
I would be excited about what Trevor Story would be able to do in a lineup like ours. Also would add a speed element that Carlos doesn't have.

(Not saying Story is better than Correa, just that it would be a great signing)
tjack16
AG
BayAg_14 said:

This is a weird take. Crane has proven to not be cheap (we traded for JV, Cole and Greinke)

Tillman isn't afraid of spending money either. CP3, Russell Westbrook, etc

Yeah it's frustrating, but I wouldnt say it's because the Astros got cheap.
OKCAg2002
AG
It makes you wonder if they already had a viable backup deal with Story in place. I don't think they're absolutely sold on Peña, but I'd expect him to be on the opening day roster.
Coog97
n_touch said:

BayAg_14 said:

Your forgetting one factor. The player. Was it a given that Carlos wanted to stay? There was probably more to it than just money in this situation.

Well, that and the fact that the Astros have carried a top ten highest (top five for a couple of years) payroll for several years now.
htxag09
AG
linkdude said:

Crane's a cheapskate POS for not matching that. IDGAF about the opt outs...come on...

I'm excited for Pena, but still...

I mean I'm pissed we didn't match a 3 year offer. But can you really call someone a "cheapskate POS" for not matching an offer that would make someone the highest paid infielder?
First Page Last Page
Page 154 of 194

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.