***Official Houston Astros 2021-22 Offseason Thread***

564,180 Views | 6776 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AggiEE
zgood10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ZG to the Royals
07ag
AG
greinke to kc
https://ts.la/eric59704
Mr.Bond
AG
zgood10 said:

ZG to the Royals
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

agproducer
AG
And he thought Houston sucked.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Sounds like a 1 yr deal for Zach. Guarantee you he's gonna try to bat a few times.
Mr.Bond
AG
13 million??? Lmaoooo
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
. . .
Bonnettecj1
Greinke was a trip and not worth the $35 million he was getting.

I'll never forget his game 7 performance against the Nats. I still can't believe AJ took him out and left Cole in the bullpen.
DenverAg91
AG
AggiEE
Bonnettecj1 said:

I'll never forget his game 7 performance against the Nats. I still can't believe AJ took him out and left Cole in the bullpen.

He helped us get to two WS appearances and would have been a big reason for a 2nd championship if only he was used effectively in G7

Worth every penny
Chrundle the Great
AG
DenverAg91 said:

Texags will know before Chandler knows
CFTXAG10
AG
My $ is on the hardest working man in Houston Sports to break it, Mr. Mark Berman
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Bonnettecj1
AggiEE said:

Bonnettecj1 said:

He helped us get to two WS appearances and would have been a big reason for a 2nd championship if only he was used effectively in G7

Worth every penny

His 3.75 ERA while in Houston doesn't scream a $35 million per year starter. That's Cole/JV/Scherzer money. Greinke was solid. Not worth that amount of money.
Farmer1906
AG
Bonnettecj1 said:

AggiEE said:

Bonnettecj1 said:

Worth every penny

His 3.75 ERA while in Houston doesn't scream a $35 million per year starter. That's Cole/JV/Scherzer money. Greinke was solid. Not worth that amount of money.

He obviously didn't age as well but he was every bit as good as Cole/JV/Max in his prime. There was a reason why he got him without giving up elite prospects and why AZ covered part of the bill.

I'm shocked he got 13M. I guess an innings eater and name value was enough.
Bonnettecj1
Giving up 3 of our top 5 prospects was a pretty big price.

I'm not at all arguing that it was a bad trade because it wasn't. I would still do it, knowing what I know now. My point was that he wasn't worth that salary and I'm glad the Astros didn't overpay to get him back.
agracer
AG
The Royals traded Mike Minor ($8M) earlier in the day and freed up that money to pay Greinke $13M. For the Royals, they're only out $5M and probably get a better arm than Minor was going to give them.

Also, Greinke was drafted 6th by the Royals in 2002 and won the Cy-Young for them in 2009. He'll put butts in the seats every 5-days, he needs one more steal to get 10 (for a pitcher) and I can totally see them letting him pinch hit in a blow out at some point this season.
Mr.Bond
AG
ZG putting butts in seats would be like Lance Berkman putting butts in seats in 2012 for a reunion..... point is that homecoming will wear off fast imo.

MAGA

Prosperdick
AG
agracer said:

The Royals traded Mike Minor ($8M) earlier in the day and freed up that money to pay Greinke $13M. For the Royals, they're only out $5M and probably get a better arm than Minor was going to give them.

Also, Greinke was drafted 6th by the Royals in 2002 and won the Cy-Young for them in 2009. He'll put butts in the seats every 5-days, he needs one more steal to get 10 (for a pitcher) and I can totally see them letting him pinch hit in a blow out at some point this season.
Also sitting at 9 career homers.
Farmer1906
AG
Bonnettecj1 said:

Giving up 3 of our top 5 prospects was a pretty big price.

I'm not at all arguing that it was a bad trade because it wasn't. I would still do it, knowing what I know now. My point was that he wasn't worth that salary and I'm glad the Astros didn't overpay to get him back.
Were they in the top 5? We just emptied out some with the call-ups of Yordan and Tucker.

As it stands now - Martin was injured at the time. He's currently the 11th best prospect in the AZ system. Beer is 12th. Rojas is in the bigs, had 2 subpar seasons in 19 and 20, but looked like an avg big leaguer in 21. JB was moved to the pen, played in 21 games, and had an ERA around 8. Top 5 or not, I think it's safe to say we lost no one that is going to matter.
tjack16
AG
Greinke trade was worth it

In the 3 seasons since we made that trade we won 2 pennants and made the ALCS all 3 seasons. He also had us 9 outs away from a WS title

The guys we traded away have done nothing of impact in the MLB in that time span.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Makes no sense
CFTXAG10
AG
182/7 - Dam Son
EastCoastAgNc
AG

$26M AAV
EastCoastAgNc
AG

So they trade away Arenado, they won't pay Trevor Story, but they'll drop that kind of money on Bryant. Like I said yesterday, their ownership / management is the most bipolar group of people I've ever heard of in baseball.
Moe Jzyslak
AG
ScapeGOAT said:

I'd be VERY surprised if Bryant didn't end up on the Phillies

Welp I'm surprised
astros4545
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

So they trade away Arenado, they won't pay Trevor Story, but they'll drop that kind of money on Bryant. Like I said yesterday, their ownership / management is the most bipolar group of people I've ever heard of in baseball.
Bryant is a much better offensive player than both of them
cc10106
Bonnettecj1 said:

Been looking for a Greinke jersey since last year without any luck for some reason.

Also, Cole wasn't going to come in mid-inning during Game 7.
W
AG
the Rockies have lost their minds.

he will be playing somewhere else in 2 or 3 years
EastCoastAgNc
AG
cc10106
Don't do it, CC.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Nice quick interview with Pena

My biggest takeaway is…. Are we sleeping on his traps? He's built like 1998 MLB.

Is Pena American/Regular college/HSDraft guy? If not holy smokes he's well spoken for a foreign born player.
Ag_07
AG
That would be career suicide for him

He'd be ridiculously rich but irrelevant as well
First Page Last Page
Page 143 of 194

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.