***Official Houston Astros 2021-22 Offseason Thread***

564,169 Views | 6776 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AggiEE
EastCoastAgNc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Could we use him?
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Cashman won't pay what they'll ask for them.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
astros4545
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Cashman won't pay what they'll ask for them.

Star pitchers?
The Porkchop Express
AG
Schwarber had a 38 HR season for the Cubs in 2019. Most of this buzz about him now is based on a 3-week stretch last summer where he hit 16 home runs in 17 days for the Nationals. He then got hurt, got traded to Boston, and hit just 7 home runs for the Sox in 41 games, although he did hit .291. He strikes out a lot and his .266 average last year was a career high. He turned 29 two weeks ago, so don't think he's our kinda guy.
Farmer1906
AG
Nice quick interview with Pena

My biggest takeaway is…. Are we sleeping on his traps? He's built like 1998 MLB.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
n_touch
EastCoastAgNc said:

Can't wait to hear what he thinks about Chicago...lol
Mr.Bond
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

O/U ZGs ERA this year? 4.25
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

The Porkchop Express
AG
Mr.Bond said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

O/U ZGs ERA this year? 4.25
If he's pitching 50% of his games at Wrigley, I'll take the over.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

I really hope the postseason thing is not playing actual playoff games there, because that would be massively stupid (which means it's probably manfred's idea)
Deluxe
AG
What's your plan with Pena if we do end up keeping Correa?
EABC_AG
Would love to pick up Meadows
tjack16
AG
Deluxe said:

I'd keep him on the MLB roster. Odds are with the injury history of Correa/Bregman/Altuve he would get quite a bit of action
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Why would they go after him? Aren't they rebuilding?
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

I am going to assume keep Correa = he signed a deal where he's going to opt out after 1 year. Start Pena in the minors. He only has 133 plate appearance in AAA. Assuming all goes well (Astros as winning and Pena is hitting), Pena gets promoted to the bigs in late June/early July. He starts every game we give Correa, Bregman, or Altuve off. As long as we're winning, Dusty makes a point to get him semi-regular ABs. I do not want him sitting on the bench in the bigs or stuck in AAA. Even if he's not tearing it up, the experience in the show is going to help him for 2023 when I assume he takes over for Correa.

Obviously, this assumes a lot. If any infielder not named Gurriel goes down, he's in and playing every day. If he is sportin a .605 OPS in Sugar Land then he can stay in Sugar Land to figure it out. If Correa doesn't have an opt out until year 2 or 3 then maybe you save the call up for Sept and not burn a year. If Correa is fully locked in until 2028 then I think you start to look at him as trade bait. Let him showcase in AAA and let him be the centerpiece for someone like Bieber because the Tribe is going into rebuild mode.
linkdude
AG
The central isn't strong, so marginal moves could put you in WC contention, although I'd still slot Detroit or Minnesota ahead.
Farmer1906
AG
loma_vista78 said:

Would love to pick up Meadows
I am all for never trading with the Rays. They seem to win every deal they make.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906
AG
They've done quite a bit and I expect them to trade Torres and maybe even Voit soon, but I feel like they just rearranged the furniture. Maybe they're slightly better, but also maybe not. I think they're clearly worse on paper than Toronto and maybe Tampa too. Probably even with Boston, but Boston might make a move to change that.
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

They've done quite a bit and I expect them to trade Torres and maybe even Voit soon, but I feel like they just rearranged the furniture. Maybe they're slightly better, but also maybe not. I think they're clearly worse on paper than Toronto and maybe Tampa too. Probably even with Boston, but Boston might make a move to change that.
I think they've done a good job adding players they can flip for prospects when they're 8-10 games back at the deadline.
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Deluxe said:

I am going to assume keep Correa = he signed a deal where he's going to opt out after 1 year. Start Pena in the minors. He only has 133 plate appearance in AAA. Assuming all goes well (Astros as winning and Pena is hitting), Pena gets promoted to the bigs in late June/early July. He starts every game we give Correa, Bregman, or Altuve off. As long as we're winning, Dusty makes a point to get him semi-regular ABs. I do not want him sitting on the bench in the bigs or stuck in AAA. Even if he's not tearing it up, the experience in the show is going to help him for 2023 when I assume he takes over for Correa.

Obviously, this assumes a lot. If any infielder not named Gurriel goes down, he's in and playing every day. If he is sportin a .605 OPS in Sugar Land then he can stay in Sugar Land to figure it out. If Correa doesn't have an opt out until year 2 or 3 then maybe you save the call up for Sept and not burn a year. If Correa is fully locked in until 2028 then I think you start to look at him as trade bait. Let him showcase in AAA and let him be the centerpiece for someone like Bieber because the Tribe is going into rebuild mode.
Yea. I think it's pretty easy to chart Pena's path if Correa stays one more year, opts out, and bolts for a big contract. We'll start him at AAA to save his service time and let Diaz man the utility role. Then we'll call him up later this year to get him acclimated to the show. He begins 2023 as our starting SS.

If Correa ends up sticking around long term, that's where it gets trickier. If Pena projects ~20 HR power, wonder if we'd give him a look at 1B or LF. Both positions will likely be open next year. We'd also have him bookmarked if Altuve or Bregman somehow isn't back after 2024.

But his value is probably captured most effectively by trading him to a team that wants him as their everyday SS. We could probably get a top tier arm with multiple years of team control in a deal like that.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

"I didn't realize that at the time"...BS Tony
Farmer1906
AG
Right now Pena's best asset is supposed to be his defense. He's a 60/60 fielding grade on fangraphs and MLB. He's won fall gold gloves. Playing him at first or in LF at MMP would negate that. If he's a .750-790 OPS type, we should be able to find better and still fairly cheap in LF and 1st.

Your last line is on point. His value would be best captured in a trade if we're locking up CC.
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Right now Pena's best asset is supposed to be his defense. He's a 60/60 fielding grade on fangraphs and MLB. He's won fall gold gloves. Playing him at first or in LF at MMP would negate that. If he's a .750-790 OPS type, we should be able to find better and still fairly cheap in LF and 1st.

Your last line is on point. His value would be best captured in a trade if we're locking up CC.
I think I just get so enamored with his triceps/traps that I forget how slick he is at SS
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

He's a moron and about 100 years old so it may be true. He was just too stupid to realize at the time.
Wabs
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG

EastCoastAgNc
AG
The Porkchop Express
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

And now for the greatest hit batsman story I've ever read, courtesy of "Kings of the Hill" cowritten by Mickey Herskowitz and Nolan Ryan 30 years ago.

The year was 1961, and the Philadelphia Phllies were playing the Los Angeles Dodgers. For history's perspective, this Philly team was godawful,and would end up losing 107 games that year. The Dodgers were the Dodgers as usual.

One fine day, the two teams played with Don Drysdale on the mound, and he was throwing inside to get the Philly batters off the plate and hit a couple. Philadelphia manager Gene Mauch demanded that his starter, whose name I can't remember, throw at Drysdale in return, but the starter refused to because he and Drysdale were friends.

So Mauch turned to the bullpen and 27-year-old future Colt 45 legend Turk Farrell and told him to warm up. When Turk was about to go in, Mauch told him - the only reason you're going in is to hit Drysdale with a pitch.

This understandably made Farrell quite nervous and his first pitch was about 10 feet outside, as was the second. This prompted Mauch to come to the top step of the dugout and yell to Farrell, "I SAID HIT HIM!" for pretty much everyone to hear.

Farrell was so nervous that he threw the next pitch right down the middle and Drysdale smoked it for a double. When he got to second base, he yelled at Farrell, "There's your god-dam brushback pitch!"

Farrell, now humiliated by Drysdale and his own manger, got the ball back from the infielders, went to the mound, then turned and fired a "pickoff" throw at Drysdale, who was leading about 3 inches off the bag, and hit Drysdale in the back, yelling "There's your god-damn double!" before he was ejected.

The story hits its apex now as on May 4 of that same year, Turk Farrell was traded to the Dodgers.

Deciding to be a good teammate, as soon as he arrived he went straight to Drysdale's locker and told him, "Mr. Drysdale, I wanted to apologize for throwing at you. My manager put me in the game solely for that purpose and I didn't want to, but I was just trying to do right my team, and I am sorry."

Drysdale nodded, shook Farrell's hand, said welcome to the Dodgers. Then, in full-on Steve Buscemi mode from Billy Madison, Farrell watched as Drysdale took his cap off, reached under the brim, took out a piece of paper, unfolded it, and crossed Farrell's name off of a list the had compiled of guys he was planning on hitting with a pitch that year if the opportunity presented itself.

ttha_aggie_09
AG
The whole story is awesome but this part is hilarious
Quote:

hen, in full-on Steve Buscemi mode from Billy Madison, Farrell watched as Drysdale took his cap off, reached under the brim, took out a piece of paper, unfolded it, and crossed Farrell's name off of a list the had compiled of guys he was planning on hitting with a pitch that year if the opportunity presented itself.

Prosperdick
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 142 of 194

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.