***Official Houston Astros 2021 Season Thread***

3,835,892 Views | 73542 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Teddy Perkins
linkdude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Big oof in the Oakland-KC game.
Mathguy64
AG
How many more ways can MLB help Oakland? Let us count the ways.
Big Al 1992
AG
What is our series record - I can only think of 4 series losses at top of my head - Detroit, NY, Padres, Rangers. We've gotta be way up there in series wins - and that's all we need to keep doing.
htxag09
AG
linkdude said:

I heard blummer throw out a suggestion I 100% agree with. They should send these replays to be reviewed without telling them the call on the field. If they look at it and say, yeah he's safe. He's safe. If they look and say not really sure, it stays with the call on the field.
Johnsy3
AG
Just caught up with the game. No way Chas's bomb was only 420ft. Like Yordong's shot to the upper deck, statcast is way off on that one
AgDoc03
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

What is our series record - I can only think of 4 series losses at top of my head - Detroit, NY, Padres, Rangers. We've gotta be way up there in series wins - and that's all we need to keep doing.

Rockies, too
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dshedd41
S
&ct=g
Gig’em Aggies!
Teddy Perkins
AG

Same, Carlos. Same.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
ttha_aggie_09
AG
"I pity the ump that calls strikes, balls"
Deluxe
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Gun show
falcon09
AG
AgDoc03 said:

Big Al 1992 said:

Rockies, too
The overall series record is 12-7-2.

Outside of the terrible 2 weeks in the middle of April that included series losses to Oakland, Detroit, Seattle and Colorado it'a 12-3-2. The COVID fiasco hit in the middle of the Tigers series and continued past Seattle and Colorado. The other 3 series losses are NY, Texas and San Diego.
tjack16
AG
falcon09 said:

AgDoc03 said:

Big Al 1992 said:

Rockies, too
The overall series record is 12-7-2.

Outside of the terrible 2 weeks in the middle of April that included series losses to Oakland, Detroit, Seattle and Colorado it'a 12-3-2. The COVID fiasco hit in the middle of the Tigers series and continued past Seattle and Colorado. The other 3 series losses are NY, Texas and San Diego.

Yeah the sweeps at the hands of Detroit and the rangers are the ones that are pretty inexcusable. Other than that, the series we lost aren't really anything to be too upset about. A single play here and there could have easily flipped most of those series
Bulldog73
AG
For real, and the HS boys I used to coach swore baseball players didn't lift heavy.
All I do is Nguyen
Didn't get to watch the game today but I will say this, and I know this isn't a super hot take, but Brantley is easily the best hitter on the team right now. The way he works counts, fouls balls off, gets the pitches he wants is unreal. Altuve and bregs are still too also but Brantley is all star material right now.
scrimp
AG
Completely agree on Brantley. I'm really glad the 'stros were able to re-sign him this year. I thought it was critical to get one of Springer or Brantley back this season.

Dude is hitting at or above his career averages, and plays a respectable LF. On top that, I'd bet he provides some quiet "leadership by example" in the clubhouse. Never seems to be too high or too low emotionally--just gets in the box and looks to drive the ball to the outfield.
astros4545
AG
Superb Sasquatch said:

Didn't get to watch the game today but I will say this, and I know this isn't a super hot take, but Brantley is easily the best hitter on the team right now. The way he works counts, fouls balls off, gets the pitches he wants is unreal. Altuve and bregs are still too also but Brantley is all star material right now.

By my count, we have 7 hitters who are the best hitter in this lineup
AustinAg2K
htxag09 said:

linkdude said:

I heard blummer throw out a suggestion I 100% agree with. They should send these replays to be reviewed without telling them the call on the field. If they look at it and say, yeah he's safe. He's safe. If they look and say not really sure, it stays with the call on the field.

I've thought the same thing about football. Refs/Umps should be able to say, "I'm not reality sure. Let's let replay take a look." Requiring an initial call really hurts the value of replay. I'm sure the on field official isn't always certain of the call. Requiring them to make a call only to over turn it really makes them look bad.
Deluxe
AG
Offensive fWAR ranks (AL):

6. Correa
7. Gurriel
12. Altuve
20. Tucker
23. Bregman
33. Yordan
40. Brantley
56. Straw
Beat40
linkdude said:

The problem is you need an angle from home plate definitively. Yes, you can tell the toe comes up, but from that angle, it wasn't exactly easy to tell that his toe wasn't on the top of the very corner of the bag and then slid off. The perspective makes it much harder to tell, and given the rules about definitive evidence, I can understand why they didn't overturn it.

Baseball needs to get more angles for replay to be most effective. Seattle's sky cam would be optimal I think. Have it go from home plate to 3rd base or 15 feet past 3rd base and you can probably get all the angles you want of the baeses.
htxag09
AG
AustinAg2K said:

htxag09 said:

linkdude said:

I've thought the same thing about football. Refs/Umps should be able to say, "I'm not reality sure. Let's let replay take a look." Requiring an initial call really hurts the value of replay. I'm sure the on field official isn't always certain of the call. Requiring them to make a call only to over turn it really makes them look bad.

Yep, pretty crazy that we can have 5+ super slow motion replays of one play but can't get the right call because a dude on the field who may have been 20+' away saw it differently in real time so we can't be absolutely sure.
W
AG
Brantley has found his groove again.

April OPS ---> .925
May OPS ---> .668
June OPS ---> 1.278
Mathguy64
AG
So I guess we should send a thank you note to the City of Arlington for building a multipurpose Home Depot with fake grass for wearing out Uncle Mikes legs enough to get him a 15 day rest?
12law
AG
Deluxe said:

6. Correa
7. Gurriel
12. Altuve
20. Tucker
23. Bregman
33. Yordan
40. Brantley
56. Straw

Wait, so Straw is not a below average player at the plate? Don't tell TexAgs!
redline248
AG
12law said:

Deluxe said:

6. Correa
7. Gurriel
12. Altuve
20. Tucker
23. Bregman
33. Yordan
40. Brantley
56. Straw

The real takeaway is PAY THAT MAN
Farmer1906
AG
12law said:

Deluxe said:

6. Correa
7. Gurriel
12. Altuve
20. Tucker
23. Bregman
33. Yordan
40. Brantley
56. Straw

No, he's still below avg by about 18%.
Faustus
NM.
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
https://www.mlb.com/standings

Interesting to look at the column for record against teams over 0.500. The entire AL central is under 0.500 against winning teams except for the Indians who are at an even 0.500. Oakland is 11-16 against winning teams. Only 3 teams in all of the AL with winning records against winning teams: Rays (26-16), Boston (21-15), and the Astros (27-16).
n_touch
Farmer1906 said:

So what you are telling me is that the Dodgers and Astros strike out less than everyone else? Love how they look at one data point and not the other
Teddy Perkins
AG
https://instagr.am/p/CQCrb0xpkbr

Well done, Yordan. WELL DONE.
dshedd41
S
https://climbingtalshill.com/2021/06/14/cth-staff-astros-deserve-stars/
Gig’em Aggies!
Farmer1906
AG
Get your votes in

https://www.mlb.com/all-star/ballot
W
AG
the Angels have been hot lately --- won 8 of 9 --- maybe they can do some damage vs. the A's this week
W
AG
yes, that's why I'm not sold on the White Sox.

the AL Central has been deceiving us for the past 5 years. It usually has 3 terrible teams that throw off the standings. And right now it's affecting the entire AL
First Page Last Page
Page 559 of 2102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.