***Official Houston Astros 2021 Season Thread***

3,835,921 Views | 73542 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Teddy Perkins
SW-14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Speaking of missing home plate on a HR, I remember back in Little League a kid on my team hit his first HR, and the ump called him out for missing home. Don't know if I could have done that as the ump, seems kind of crappy to do to a kid.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Ag_07 said:

I was just gonna say you noticed the Astros PR folks didn't put an age in that birthday tweet.

This was 3 years ago
Ag_07
AG
I miss George
agproducer
AG
Yep. I should have mentioned Jones. He should have caught that ball.
agproducer
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Ag_07 said:

I was just gonna say you noticed the Astros PR folks didn't put an age in that birthday tweet.

This was 3 years ago
TK said Yuli was celebrating his 53rd birthday on the broadcast last night. Ha.
The Beef01
AG
The Astros left Oakland at 26-18 on May 20th with a 0.5 game lead in the division over the A's (26-19)...

The Astros had a disaster series in Arlington (26-21) and the A's went to lick their wounds against the Angels (28-20) and held a 1.5 game lead on May 23rd.

This sounds silly to talk about since the Astros have played very good baseball (aside from the injury-laden/bullpen blowups of the SD series where the Astros absolutely should've won 2, but were in position for a sweep if the bullpen holds it together) and have only picked-up a 1/2 game in the standings.

The problem for Oakland here:

Astros have gone 8-5 in 13 games against LAD/SD/BOS/TOR which, subtracting the results of those games have a combined winning percentage of .581

A's have gone 8-6 in 14 games against SEA/LAA/COL/ARI which, subtracting the results of those games have a combined winning percentage of .418

This is where the A's absolutely had to be looking to create some distance and they've actually lost ground and just for good measure, the trends for each team coming into those respective series:

Oakland -

SEA had lost 6 straight before their 1st series

LAA was 3-3 before their series

SEA had swept 4 games from the Rangers before their 2nd series

COL was 4-2 (after having just swept the Rangers after losing 2 of 3 to the Pirates...man, looking at these deets will depress you about that series in May)

ARI had lost 19 of 21 coming into the series

Houston -

LAD had won 7 straight and 9 out of 10

SD had won 13 out of 16

BOS had won 7 out of 10 before the 1st series

TOR had won 6 out of 10 before the series

BOS had won all 4 games b/w the 1st series and 2nd

The hilarious thing about this is that every game they've played over the last 17 has been against a sub-.500 team...that will definitely continue today with 1 more against Arizona and if KC (29-30) loses to the Angels tonight, it will likely continue through the weekend and next week (3 against the Angels). It SHOULD come to a halt next weekend when they break their streak of 25 straight against sub-.500 against the Yankees.

However, the Yankees are a mess right now and at 32-29 with 7 road games against Minnesota, Philadelphia and Toronto before next weekend, there's no guarantee that they'll snap the A's streak of sub-.500 opponents and it could run to 28 and then 32 with 4 against the Rangers after that and it would definitely end with the Giants. All-in, it's entirely possible that the A's could go one calendar month+ without playing a single opponent over .500. It feels like anything shy of a 5-game lead on the division by mid-June for the A's should feel like a deficit.
Farmer1906
AG
It's still early. This happens in just 60-70 games. Water will find its level.

Yall remember 2018? On June 8th we were a game behind Seattle. Oakland was 8.5 back from them. We finished 14 up on Seattle, Oakland finished 8 up on them too.

Outside of the flukey 2015 Rangers (only won 88 games), I cannot recall another team winning a division with basically no major run differential.
Farmer1906
AG
The Beef01
AG
Farmer1906 said:

It's still early. This happens in just 60-70 games. Water will find its level.

Yall remember 2018? On June 8th we were a game behind Seattle. Oakland was 8.5 back from them. We finished 14 up on Seattle, Oakland finished 8 up on them too.

Outside of the flukey 2015 Rangers (only won 88 games), I cannot recall another team winning a division with basically no major run differential.
The A's feel like that Rangers team....didn't the Rangers have a .700+ winning percentage in 1-run games and they played in an abnormal amount of them, as well.
Ag4life80
AG
The end of this month is a big stretch to make up ground. The White Sox are the only team that shouldn't be curb stomped. We'll see.
bearkatag15
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I wish we would bring him back if he throws well there but I highly doubt we would.
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
EastCoastAgNc
AG

For anyone who see's Martino's quotes flying around...
Ag_07
AG
Who is this guy and what's he been saying?
Deluxe
AG
Luhnow
redline248
AG
Deluxe said:

Luhnow
...can't be. He didn't know anything about it, remember
Deluxe
AG
redline248 said:

Deluxe said:

Luhnow
...can't be. He didn't know anything about it, remember

Touche
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Ag_07 said:

He just put out a book on the Astros "scandal". He's a NY guy.
halfastros81
AG
Something I worry about with the Astros is their record against bad teams outside the division. 0-6 vs Rockies & Tigers for example. Granted injuries played a role but ya gotta be better against teams you should beat.
Beat40
halfastros81 said:

Something I worry about with the Astros is their record against bad teams outside the division. 0-6 vs Rockies & Tigers for example. Granted injuries played a role but ya gotta be better against teams you should beat.

The feeling I get from the team right now is they won't perform as bad against the bad teams as they did earlier in the season. The starting pitching is much better than when we faced the Rockies and Tigers.

This team feels prepped to go on a run after this Boston series.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
halfastros81 said:

White it does look bad, remember this was in the middle of the covid outbreak in the clubhouse.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
SquirrellyDan
AG
halfastros81 said:

I look at it the other way. Even with bad losses, and even with that blown series against SD, we're still right there. Like Farmer said earlier, water will find it's level, we'll win the division, and then the stat that will hopefully matter will be our record against GOOD teams.
Farmer1906
AG
Great news, tjack16. This will look fierce with your ripped jeans.

tjack16
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Great news, tjack16. This will look fierce with your ripped jeans.

Never understood the appeal of short sleeve hoodies. Our guys wear them during BP sometimes.
aftershock
Short sleeve hoodies have a very "pride" vibe about them.
tjack16
AG
aftershock said:

Short sleeve hoodies have a very "pride" vibe about them.

Seems like the players like wearing them. I wouldnt but it must appeal to them in BP as comfortable
jetch17
AG
MAROON
AG
Zero fricking chance
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
tjack16
AG
That white Sox series next weekend is going to be really interesting. They have consistently been the best team in the AL since opening day. I'm excited to see how we match up
bearkatag15
AG
tjack16 said:

That white Sox series next weekend is going to be really interesting. They have consistently been the best team in the AL since opening day. I'm excited to see how we match up
I'll be at the Saturday game on the 19th sitting in the Crawford Boxes.

It's my first game back since the 2019 ALDS
tjack16
AG
Nice. I feel like the Crawford boxes will get a lot of action that weekend with all the right handed power hitters both teams have
bearkatag15
AG
Beat40
tjack16 said:

Me too. The interesting thing is currently they are 10-12 against teams >.500, and we're 20-12.

I've got a co-worker who is a big White Sox fan, so that series will be fun.

I think we match up well with them. Offensively, defensively, and starters we're in the same league. The bullpen is where we are separated. Really hoping we can get 6 out of each starter, and hopefully 7 out of one or two.

I'd love to win that series.
AustinAg2K
EastCoastAgNc said:

Ag_07 said:

He just put out a book on the Astros "scandal". He's a NY guy.

I read an article earlier this week where the book claims the Astros continued to cheat in 2019 against the Yankees. The author said the Astros first base coach figured out that the catcher was tipping pitches by his crouch. The coach would then whistle to let the batter know. He claimed this was all done without the user of video, but still claimed it was cheating (didn't cite any rules). To my knowledge that's just a good coach. It's basically the same thing as a runner on second signaling the batter. The article was in a NY paper, and I got the impression the writer was a Yankees fan. Of course, it didn't mention anything about Yankee sign stealing or the use of sticky by pitchers.
Farmer1906
AG
Beat40 said:

tjack16 said:

Me too. The interesting thing is currently they are 10-12 against teams >.500, and we're 20-12.

I've got a co-worker who is a big White Sox fan, so that series will be fun.

I think we match up well with them. Offensively, defensively, and starters we're in the same league. The bullpen is where we are separated. Really hoping we can get 6 out of each starter, and hopefully 7 out of one or two.

I'd love to win that series.
We match up well with them because they're very right handed. They have a few switch hitters and can throw Adam Eaton and Jake Lamb out you when facing a righty, but they're significantly worse vs righties. Still good, but its a ***** in the armor.

OPS vs L = .830
OPS vs R = .711

We have the same issue, but not nearly as drastic.

If we happen to align our pitching just right we have some guys who shut down righties.
McCullers - .178
Garcia - .148
Javier - .155
First Page Last Page
Page 519 of 2102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.