***Official Houston Astros 2021 Season Thread***

3,791,462 Views | 73542 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Teddy Perkins
AustinAg2K
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The ump was right on top of the plate looking down on it when it appears the batter touched home. There's no way he just missed it. Either the batter did in fact miss the plate, or else the ump is on the take. No way he didn't see it though.
iamtheglove
AustinAg2K said:

The ump was right on top of the plate looking down on it when it appears the batter touched home. There's no way he just missed it. Either the batter did in fact miss the plate, or else the ump is on the take. No way he didn't see it though.
Agree, the ump is right on top of it looking at the plate. And from the camera angle we have, I actually don't see him clearly touch the plate. It also looks like the batter may have realized he didn't touch it as he does a double take once he clears the batter's box but didn't think to go back to retouch.
agproducer
AG
Yes.

TRM
AG
iamtheglove said:

AustinAg2K said:

Agree, the ump is right on top of it looking at the plate. And from the camera angle we have, I actually don't see him clearly touch the plate. It also looks like the batter may have realized he didn't touch it as he does a double take once he clears the batter's box but didn't think to go back to retouch.
He definitely touched the plate. You can white all around his foot as he touches the plate.

ClickClack
AG
spadilly said:

My man! That's a fantastic picture!

Ty sir. It was a great time. We are 2-0 when I'm at Fenway.
Chrundle the Great
AG
Frok said:

12law said:

Ag_07 said:

halfastros81 said:

I think the Astros got Marwin at his best.

Marwin was the greatest beneficiary of the sign stealing. He wasn't very good before and after it. It made him. He used it to get his big pay day from MIN and has done nothing since.

The front office knew what was up and did the smart thing and cut bait when they could.

He did somehow hit the game tying homerun against Jensen on the road in LA. Big props there.

Biggest HR in Astros history IMO. We don't win in 2017 without that.

Then taps his Houston Strong patch after it, still gives me chills.
W
AG
so let's say there was a runner on base when Witt jr. hit the home run...

does the "first" run count? assuming of course that the baserunner stepped on home plate.

and what if there were 2 outs in the inning...such that the appeal on Witt jr. is out #3
TRM
AG
I don't have the rulebook out, but with 2 outs the 1st run counts since Witt reached 1st safely and the out was at home. Now, if he missed 1st then the run wouldn't count. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
1876er
AG
Ag_07 said:

halfastros81 said:

Marwin was the greatest beneficiary of the sign stealing. He wasn't very good before and after it. It made him. He used it to get his big pay day from MIN and has done nothing since.

The front office knew what was up and did the smart thing and cut bait when they could.

Don't forget about Reddick. Or Springer. Or Altuve. Or Correa.
JABQ04
AG
bearkatag15 said:

This is complete failure by the umpire... I'm not sure how much clear it can be that he stepped on home

Interesting is the catcher seems to gesture and say something to the umpire as soon as the batter crosses home plate. I'd live to see another angle (as some of you have said). I can't see how he didn't touch from the view we got

Also if he kissed any other base, would stepping on home result in an out or would the ball have be thrown to that base and the bag stepped on.
Beat40
Chrundle the Great said:

Frok said:

12law said:

Ag_07 said:

halfastros81 said:

He did somehow hit the game tying homerun against Jensen on the road in LA. Big props there.

Other than the final throw of Game 7 from Altuve to Gurriel, this is my favorite moment of the 2017 post season. The tap to the Houston Strong patch entirely encapsulates the Houston mentality during that time.
tjack16
AG
Currently on track for 92 wins

What is y'all's feeling about over/under that win total? I say over
Farmer1906
AG
I like the over. I said 95 before the season and that still feel about right. Maybe even a little low.
Ag_07
AG
1876er said:

Ag_07 said:

halfastros81 said:

GTFO with this.

Not gonna get deep into it because we've been there plenty of times before but none of these guys made their careers off the sign stealing.
Deluxe
AG
1876er said:

Ag_07 said:

halfastros81 said:

Lots wrong here.

Reddick and Altuve didn't use the scheme.

Astros were never going to give Springer 6/150.

Correa is looking good and could still be signed long term.
n_touch
Wait till he gets to certain pitchers who are no longer with us and why they "adjust" their hat before every pitch
Chrundle the Great
AG
He's trolling, check his only other post in this thread.
07ag
AG
Farmer1906 said:

reminded me of correa's 2017 ws game 5 dinger, looked it up and it was "only" 48 degree launch angle. same speed off the bat, so, that 1 degree and juiced baseballs made it go 18 feet further, lol

https://ts.la/eric59704
Mr.Ackar07
Beat40 said:

Chrundle the Great said:

Frok said:

12law said:

Ag_07 said:

halfastros81 said:

Other than the final throw of Game 7 from Altuve to Gurriel, this is my favorite moment of the 2017 post season. The tap to the Houston Strong patch entirely encapsulates the Houston mentality during that time.
I thought he was pointing to the buzzer he was wearing that tipped him off for the pitch.
CFTXAG10
AG
Chrundle the Great said:

Frok said:

12law said:

Ag_07 said:

halfastros81 said:

Same. That WS will always mean a lot more than just a championship. Its hard to describe in words how it felt after all we dealt with in the months preceding. I also love that Marwin pulled that off on the road where it was proven that we in fact were not cheating. Jansen was just a head case.
W
AG
tjack16 said:

Currently on track for 92 wins

What is y'all's feeling about over/under that win total? I say over
it should help that the 'stros are playing most of the playoff contenders in the 1st half of the season.

the 2nd half will be a ton of games vs. teams that are dumping salary and shutting guys down
Farmer1906
AG
We have the 24th hardest schedule remaining.

Somehow the Giants, Padres, and Dodgers have the 3 easiest. It probably has to do with already playing each other a bunch and then getting the rest of their bad division (AZ & CO) plus not a ton of world-beaters in the NL.
Deluxe
AG
A few weeks ago we began an important 15 game stretch against LAD, SD, BOS, at TOR, and at BOS. As we stand today, we're 8-5 in that stretch and guaranteed to finish it over .500. A couple of those losses were bullpen disasters that should be cleaned up by the playoffs. Pretty strong message sent IMO.
Quad Dog
AG
Even the hitter seems to do a doubletake after he crosses home plate, and almost looks like he wanted to go back and touch the plate for a step, but kept running on.
tjack16
AG
With our schedule remaining I think we win 95 games, which I think will win the division by 3-5 games. I'm hoping we already have the division in hand before that last series of the season against the A's
Marvin
AG
Farmer1906 said:

We have the 24th hardest schedule remaining.

Somehow the Giants, Padres, and Dodgers have the 3 easiest. It probably has to do with already playing each other a bunch and then getting the rest of their bad division (AZ & CO) plus not a ton of world-beaters in the NL.

With 1 being the hardest? Sorry, still needing coffee this morning... I sat too long on a barstool last night here in Stillwater watching the game.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Farmer1906
AG
Correct. We have the 7th easiest.

Oakland is middle of the pack.

Boston & New York are 4th and 5th hardest.
agproducer
AG
Deluxe said:

A few weeks ago we began an important 15 game stretch against LAD, SD, BOS, at TOR, and at BOS. As we stand today, we're 8-5 in that stretch and guaranteed to finish it over .500. A couple of those losses were bullpen disasters that should be cleaned up by the playoffs. Pretty strong message sent IMO.

And to think without the bullpen meltdowns, we'd be 10-3 over that stretch.

I'm still pissed about that SD series.
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe
AG
agproducer said:

And to think without the bullpen meltdowns, we'd be 10-3 over that stretch.

I'm still pissed about that SD series.
In fairness, I suppose we oughta say bullpen and Taylor Jones meltdowns
Farmer1906
AG
Yuli is hands down the best 37+ year old position player / DH in the league.

He's rocking a 163 OPS.

Next up is Nelson Cruz with 134 and Jed Lowrie with 107. No one else is qualified, but a few other names Molina (121), Votto (100), Puljos (90), Cabrera (63), Gardner (62), & Suzuki (58).
Deluxe
AG
I wanna see Yuli's stats with Yordan in the lineup and without Yordan in the lineup
Mathguy64
AG
He also may be the best 38 year old, 39 year old and maybe 40 year old.
979ag
AG
HBD YULI
Ag_07
AG
I was just gonna say you noticed the Astros PR folks didn't put an age in that birthday tweet.
First Page Last Page
Page 518 of 2102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.