***Official Houston Astros 2021 Season Thread***

3,835,666 Views | 73542 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Teddy Perkins
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You can't play for a WS if you don't make the playoffs. Give me 9 appearances where I take my chances. I'll take that all day long.
Beat40
Mathguy64 said:

You can't play for a WS if you don't make the playoffs. Give me 9 appearances where I take my chances. I'll take that all day long.
My other thought is that I'll take 1 WS with 9 years of playoffs over 2 WS with the possibility of some 100 loss seasons.

Winners are way more fun to watch than losers. I didn't watch a single regular season Rockets game this year given they were so bad.

The difference between 1 WS and 2 WS is really not that different to me. The argument changes more if you tell me we're doing something like the Giants did, win 3 WS in 10 years with postseason misses.

I'd rather be the Cardinals than the Marlins.
W
AG
any chance JV or Greinke would end up in the AL West after leaving Houston?

I would tend to think no. Since the Angels still owe Upton $28 MM for 2022.

maybe the Rangers would make either an offer
agdaddy04
AG
that's my thought on it. Even though the Astros didn't win in '18, '19, or '20 - those were still very fun postseasons to watch.
mAgnoliAg
AG
Nobody is mentioning Greinke's age when y'all are talking 2 yr 40 mil. I'm not sure I'm into paying a 38-39 year old that kind of money.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
W said:

I think if JV doesn't come back to the Astros next year, he's going to Detroit.
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

W said:

Why? You'd think he'd want to 1. make the most money 2. get another title and 3. be close to his hot wife in Cali.
Farmer1906
AG
Since Mid May

Who's hot?

Correa (May 12+)
.350 AVG
.480 OBP
.613 SLG
1.093 OPS
205 wRC+

Altuve (May 12+)
.315 AVG
.407 OBP
.522 SLG
.929 OPS
161 wRC+

Tucker (May 9+)
.354 AVG
.413 OBP
.626 SLG
1.039 OPS
190 wRC+

Who's not?

Alvarez (May 10+)
.200 AVG
.250 OBP
.293 SLG
.543 OPS
58 wRC+

Bregman (May 21+) - smaller window
.193 AVG
.303 OBP
.316 SLG
.619 OPS
84 wRC+

Brantley (May 12+) - only played 10 games since May 12th
.283 AVG
.306 OBP
.326 SLG
.632 OPS
81 wRC+
tjack16
AG
Mathguy64 said:

I was interested in seeing people's responses to my hypothetical. The guy did two different MLB the show 21 simulations from 2021-2030. During the simulations I watched, option 1 was ALOT of first round playoff losses. We lost the 2021 and 2029 WS, and then won the 2027 title.

In the other simulation we won back to back titles in 2022, 2023 and then made the ALCS in 2026. That stretch had quite a few seasons where we won 80-88 games and barely missed the playoffs.

I think I'd go with the 2 titles because that would mean from 2017-2023 we won 4 pennants and 3 WS championships. Making us a dynasty. It would just be rough for a good portion of the 2020s decade.
The Milkman
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Even if you know for certain 8 of those 9 end up without a WS?
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
tjack16 said:

Mathguy64 said:

I was interested in seeing people's responses to my hypothetical. The guy did two different MLB the show 21 simulations from 2021-2030. During the simulations I watched, option 1 was ALOT of first round playoff losses. We lost the 2021 and 2029 WS, and then won the 2027 title.

In the other simulation we won back to back titles in 2022, 2023 and then made the ALCS in 2026. That stretch had quite a few seasons where we won 80-88 games and barely missed the playoffs.

I think I'd go with the 2 titles because that would mean from 2017-2023 we won 4 pennants and 3 WS championships. Making us a dynasty. It would just be rough for a good portion of the 2020s decade.
I dont intend to be rude here so if it comes across that way I am sorry....What are you watching video game simulations on? Is this like a youtube video of someone discussing simulating video games...not even playing video games which to me is already a bridge too far (my son on the other hand loves watching videos of people playing the show)

Just wondering, to each their own. My wife thinks im insane with what I watch on youtube so different strokes for different folks
tjack16
AG
So this guy on YouTube does Rebuilds of franchises. It's interesting to see him work the salaries/trades and he knows a lot about the prospects. They are like 20-30 mins long and I only watch them while I'm taking care of business after coffee

I mostly fast forward them to see results at the end of each season.
falcon09
AG
tjack16 said:

Mathguy64 said:

2006 to 2014 were pretty rough. I think I could put up with another run like that if it meant that in a 7 year span the Astros went to 6 ALCSs, 4 WS and won 3 titles. That would probably be the most complete dynasty in the last 50 years, outside of maybe that late '90s Yankees that won 3 in a row.
bearkatag15
AG

Has anyone tried the salsa yet?
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Ag_07
AG
Kinda my thoughts on this.

It's an off day discussion so no biggie but for me personally video game simulations are pretty useless.
bearkatag15
AG
https://www.mlb.com/news/one-trade-chip-for-every-mlb-team-in-2021

Quote:

ASTROS: Pitching prospects

The Astros will be in the market for relief pitching in the next few months. Their offense has been one of the highest-scoring in the league and their starting pitching has been really solid. Their bullpen? That's been another issue. Houston's farm system isn't deep, but they have some promising arms at the upper levels who could be used in trade packages to get a reliever, including Jairo Solis, Tyler Ivey and Peter Solomon.
tjack16
AG
Not gonna lie I'm kind of worried about us making big trades or we give up a lot of prospects. I'd rather wait till the off-season and try to sign free agents.

I know in the past these trades have really benefited us, but now our farm system is getting thin. Click and co have to be really smart this deadline about not giving up too much, but also getting a guy in the pen to help us
Bregxit
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Has anyone tried the salsa yet?

Going to as soon as I see it!
bearkatag15
AG

Yordan and Tucker make this list.
Deluxe
AG
We've probably had multiple players on that list for 6-7 years now
astros4545
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Ke'Bryan Hayes...not sure about him being that high

And I say this as a Tomball guy where he is from
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

W said:

Why? You'd think he'd want to 1. make the most money 2. get another title and 3. be close to his hot wife in Cali.
She was with him when he was in Detroit. I know he wants money, but I think he's also aware that no one is going to back the Brinks truck up to a nearly 40 year old pitcher coming off Tommy John surgery. We can give him a QO, and he might take that to prove himself. I also can't see him going to an NL team unless the universal DH becomes a thing, so that probably rules out the Dodgers and Giants. He could go to the Angels, but they aren't gonna win anything there. I hope like crazy he doesn't go down to dwell in the sewers of Oakland.

As far as Detroit, it just seems like an obvious option. They are nearing the end of their rebuild, he knows the owner, he's familiar with AJ, finish the career he started there.
tjack16
AG
Yordan is LOW on that list for where he should be. I'm guessing it's due to injuries. No way he should be out of the top 7
Farmer1906
AG
Correa must have just graduated. Can't believe he's been around since '15 and still only 26.

Right now TED & Yordan are clearly deserving. Javier and Garica are 24. They'll probably age out before they get enough recognition.

We have a nice mix and young and old. We should stay good for a while.

Alvarez ('26)

Garica ('27?)
Javier ('26)
TED ('26)

Parades ('26)

Urquidy ('26)
Correa (need to re-sign)

Valdez ('26)
McCullers ('27)
Bregman ('25)

Altuve ('25)
Ag_07
AG
bearkatag15 said:

This looks like a pretty awful list.

Soto shouldn't be before Tatis, Vlad Jr, or Acuna. And Bo Bichete that high? Plus Kelenic that high this early? Dude has sucked so far.
AggieLit
https://sports.yahoo.com/mediocre-yankees-may-nightmare-gerrit-164625092.html

Ummm... what are the spin rates like for Framber, Garcia, Javier, McCullers?
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Farmer1906 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

W said:

She was with him when he was in Detroit. I know he wants money, but I think he's also aware that no one is going to back the Brinks truck up to a nearly 40 year old pitcher coming off Tommy John surgery. We can give him a QO, and he might take that to prove himself. I also can't see him going to an NL team unless the universal DH becomes a thing, so that probably rules out the Dodgers and Giants. He could go to the Angels, but they aren't gonna win anything there. I hope like crazy he doesn't go down to dwell in the sewers of Oakland.

As far as Detroit, it just seems like an obvious option. They are nearing the end of their rebuild, he knows the owner, he's familiar with AJ, finish the career he started there.
She started dating him when he was in the middle of a mega-contract he signed with the Tigers. That doesn't mean she liked it. I doubt JV wants to go back and suck the last couple years of his career. The city hasn't gotten any better either.
bearkatag15
AG
AggieLit said:

Nothing to write home about

2021 average spin rates on 4 seam fastballs
Valdez - 2186
Garcia - 2279
Javier - 2331
McCullers - n/a (no 4 seamers thrown this year and only threw 4 total last year)

Bauer and Cole in 2021:

Bauer - 2822
Cole - 2552

Anything north of 2500 on 4 seam fastballs is considered elite. 2800+ is obscene
bearkatag15
AG

Speaking of Kelenic... this go round didn't last very long.
Farmer1906
AG
AggieLit said:

McCullers - he stopped throwing his 4 seamer. The sinker has had less spin the last couple years. His curve has always been spinny. The slider is the new pitch and it has real high spin rate just like the curve.

Framber - same as McCullers but left handed.

Javier - uses the 4 seamer a ton. Solid spin. Know for it being hard to pick up more than its high spin. Real spinny curve as well. Slider isn't like the first two.

Garcia - solid spin on the 4 seamer and cutter. Similar to Javier. Small sample size so no major jumps.

Odo - lots of 4 seamers. Good spin. Not Javier good, but good. No major jumps.

Basically, no one has had anything drastic change. Either they've been doing it a while or not effectly enough to spike the spin.

Here is the last time through the rotation. No one shows any major changes.

Urquidy

Framber

Odo

Greinke

Garcia

Here is Bauer and Cole's last start. See the drop.

Cole

Bauer

Farmer1906
AG
They're actually lower than I thought. Most guys sit between 30-60 percentile on the fastballs. Nothing to write home about. Curve spin is different. McCullers, Framber, and Javier are all way up there.
RED AG 98
AG
and deGrom?
bearkatag15
AG
RED AG 98 said:

and deGrom?
2015 - 2261
2016 - 2297
2017 - 2362
2018 - 2497
2019 - 2389
2020 - 2477
2021 - 2425

It has increased by about 150-200 RPMs over the years. Not a massive spike and it goes up and down slightly each year.

I will say his ERA dropped significantly in 2018, the year his spin rate spiked to almost 2500 RPMs on average.

Farmer1906
AG
RED AG 98 said:

and deGrom?
It was up his last start, but he's not the most spinny guy. ~2400 on the 4 seamer (very good, but not crazy). ~2600 slider (not great).

He averaged 100.4 MPH on his heater last start. He puts that on the corner then gets you to chase the slider. He had 14 whiffs on the slider last game alone.
RED AG 98
AG
Thanks. I read a reddit post that his spin was actually up +100 versus his average since the crackdown. No idea if he uses or not but he's having an unreal season. Best in the league right now followed by Cole imo.
First Page Last Page
Page 507 of 2102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.