***Official Houston Astros 2021 Season Thread***

3,833,464 Views | 73542 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Teddy Perkins
MaxPower
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Odor plays for them regularly. That says a lot.
07ag
AG
tjack16 said:

So I was watching a few career simulations on MLB THE SHOW 21 yesterday and I was trying to track how the Astros did. I want to present you with two options. If you got to pick one of them as the Astros future which would it be (10 seasons was the sim he did, from years 2021-2030)

Option 1: Made playoffs 9/10 times, 3 pennants, 1 WS title

Option 2: made playoffs 3/10 times, 2 pennants, 2 WS titles

I'd go option 2, but I'm curious what y'all would do. Also Yordan won multiple MVPs in like every simulation I've seen
idk, tough call for me. 2 WS title stands out and would be quite memorable, but, on a day to day basis, 9 seasons of a playoff caliber team would for sure be more enjoyable than option 2. option 2 probably includes a bunch of underperforming teams and repeated frustrating losses
https://ts.la/eric59704
Deluxe
AG
Agreed. During the run, I'd rather have option 1. But after the fact, I'd rather have option 2.

The Red Sox have kinda been a model for option 2 lately. They've had some stinker teams mixed in the last 10 years, but hard to argue with 2 rings in that time frame.
tjack16
AG
Yeah it was pretty interesting to me to see the two contrasting simulations.

Option one reminds me of the 90s Braves. Option two reminds me of the Marlins or our 2005-2019 stretch

In case you were curious in the option 1 we won it all in 2027. In option two simulation we won back to back titles in 2022 and 2023 (one against the Dodgers)
Buck Compton
AG
tjack16 said:

Yeah it was pretty interesting to me to see the two contrasting simulations.

Option one reminds me of the 90s Braves. Option two reminds me of the Marlins or our 2005-2019 stretch

In case you were curious in the option 1 we won it all in 2027. In option two simulation we won back to back titles in 2022 and 2023 (one against the Dodgers) then lost in 2026
Actually in that case, I may take the higher high point of back to back titles. Then in that 6-7 year span (2017-2023), we would have undoubtedly been the best organization in baseball.
All I do is Nguyen
Not sure if this has been shared here, apologies if it has, but after watching this it makes me love Greinke that much more. He truly is a unique guy and I hope we can keep him for a few more years.

n_touch
Superb Sasquatch said:

Not sure if this has been shared here, apologies if it has, but after watching this it makes me love Greinke that much more. He truly is a unique guy and I hope we can keep him for a few more years.

Unique and fun to watch yes, but not at the price tag he is going to command.
Ag_07
AG
Quote:

This

Unless he thinks his time is winding down and he's done chasing big money and rather stay here on a short term team friendly deal it won't be worth it.

For the record I seriously doubt that happens.
W
AG
redline248 said:

Are they that talented? Team rank of 22nd in OPS. Negative run differential. They have injuries or just overrated?
the Yankees pitching was been very good --- #3 in the AL in ERA.

and Judge is having his best season since 2017.

but primarily 3 hitters...LeMathieu (got the big contract in the offseason) .656 OPS;

Torres .715 OPS and Ursela .734 OPS are killing NYY's offense.

all 3 posted OPS above .870 back in 2019. Very steep dropoffs
Ag_07
AG
Saw these guys on the broadcast the other night but didn't see this one from the Jays telecast.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CPvtOPKpb45/?utm_medium=copy_link
Deluxe
AG
Agreed. Overall it's been a fun few years watching Greinke. I have much more appreciation for the whole Greinke experience. From the quirky personality to the super crafty pitching style. Hall of famer and great for the game.

He threw one of the greatest games in Astros history WSG7. Really battled for us last year when he could have just called it a covid wash season. Fun watching him regain some of his old dominance this year.

But going forward, it's hard to imagine we'll keep him. We've basically got 6 starters locked up next year (not including JV) and need to deploy our cash elsewhere (bullpen, OF, SS).
The Beef01
AG
tjack16 said:

So I was watching a few career simulations on MLB THE SHOW 21 yesterday and I was trying to track how the Astros did. I want to present you with two options. If you got to pick one of them as the Astros future which would it be (10 seasons was the sim he did, from years 2021-2030)

Option 1: Made playoffs 9/10 times, 3 pennants, 1 WS title

Option 2: made playoffs 3/10 times, 2 pennants, 2 WS titles

I'd go option 2, but I'm curious what y'all would do. Also Yordan won multiple MVPs in like every simulation I've seen
Just glancing through newer posts and I quickly caught the Option 1 / 2 play here and immediately thought; oh, we're doing late '90s NL team blind comparisons.

I was like "Option 1 must be the Braves and Option 2 must be the Marlins."

BTW - In terms of The Show, it's the only reason I can't go full steam into hating Joe Smith b/c that dude is lockdown filthy for me in The Show. Although I hate seeing him on the bump on AT&T Sportsnet.
AggiEE
Ag_07 said:

Quote:

This

Unless he thinks his time is winding down and he's done chasing big money and rather stay here on a short term team friendly deal it won't be worth it.

Remember he had a no trade clause with some of the biggest market teams, that limits his FA value considerably

I think we could come to a reasonable agreement if he likes playing in Houston. Something like 2/40.
Chrundle the Great
AG
Me w/o Astros today
Mathguy64
AG
AggiEE said:

Ag_07 said:

Quote:

This

Remember he had a no trade clause with some of the biggest market teams, that limits his FA value considerably

I think we could come to a reasonable agreement if he likes playing in Houston. Something like 2/40.
This team needs a CFer, SS and a quality utility IFer who can stay healthy. Those will cost $$. And something tells me JV will get any FA cash before Greinke.
tjack16
AG
Yeah I think Greinke's time here is done after this year. Just because of finances. But honestly I'd be okay with offering him a good deal if JV never pitches this postseason

Offseason priority will likely be..
1. Re-sign Correa or another quality infielder to replace him
2. Center fielder if Leon or Siri aren't close to ready
3. Bullpen arms (a lockdown closer or setup man to complement Pressly)
AggiEE
Mathguy64 said:

AggiEE said:

Ag_07 said:

Quote:

This

This team needs a CFer, SS and a quality utility IFer who can stay healthy. Those will cost $$. And something tells me JV will get any FA cash before Greinke.

JV is going to cost more and who knows how well he will come back after his injury.

If Greinke stays healthy I'd rather sign him to a cheaper deal if we have to pick between the two. Greinke doesn't rely nearly as much on power and may have more effective twilight years

We don't need star talent at CF or SS, I would rather us put money towards bolstering pen depth
Mathguy64
AG
IMHO you should never spend big money on bullpen depth. That's a constant churn of short term players. And in our case we have a ton of arms right now that are young and cheap. See who develops and add a piece or two.
Ag_07
AG
AggiEE said:

Ag_07 said:

Quote:

This

Yeah...No thanks to 2/40

Zach is a good but I'm not paying him 20MM per when our rotation is already stacked and too crowded as-is.

It'd be a different story if we were desperate for starters.

Even if JV doesn't return I'd roll with any combo of LMJ, Framber, Garcia, Urquidy, Odo, Javier and spend the money elsewhere.
Farmer1906
AG
Mathguy64 said:

IMHO you should never spend big money on bullpen depth. That's a constant churn of short term players. And in our case we have a ton of arms right now that are young and cheap. See who develops and add a piece or two.
I agree with this for the most part, but we're going to have money to blow and it will be our top need after SS. I'd be willing to spend short-term to get a few more vets.

Look who got paid this past offseason. Very hit or miss so far on effectiveness.
Hendricks - 3 year 54 M. Lights out. Worth it so far. Still have trouble giving any RP that kind of money.
Treinen - 2 year 17 M. He's been about the same as he has been recently. Not worth it in my eyes. LAD disagreed.
May - 2 year 15 M. Solid. Results about the same as last year by HH up and K down.
Baez - 2 year 12.5 M. We got ****ed due to injury.
Rosenthal - 1 year 11 M. OAK getting ****ed due to injury.
Hand - 1 year 10.5 M. Not bad, but not as goods he's been. Way too many walks. Ks down.

Even the top-tier guys are all over the board. Worth giving it a shot due to our salary flexibility for 2022/23. I wouldn't give anyone more the 1-2 years.
astros4545
AG
How bad is this card

It looks like there is a ring of green balls, and then a ring of red strike calls outside of that ring

AggiEE
Mathguy64 said:

Ok

So let's just YOLO it on offense when we don't really need more offense, and SP when we don't have huge needs there either?

Not sure what your point is. I never said spend big money on any individual player in the pen, but collectively you can spread it around for a few quality inning eaters and it would vastly improve our chances to win late in games

But if you enjoy the late inning batting practice lotto, be my guest to overpay for a CF
AggiEE
Ag_07 said:

AggiEE said:

Ag_07 said:

Quote:

This

Yeah...No thanks to 2/40

Zach is a good but I'm not paying him 20MM per when our rotation is already stacked and too crowded as-is.

Even if JV doesn't return I'd roll with any combo of LMJ, Framber, Garcia, Urquidy, Odo, Javier and spend the money elsewhere.

I think paying 20M for someone like Greinke is way better than 16M on Odo.

It's never a bad thing to have starting rotation depth.

Greinke is reliable, smart, and has wicked command. Easily worth a 2/40 deal
Farmer1906
AG
AggiEE said:

Ag_07 said:

AggiEE said:

Ag_07 said:

Quote:

This

Yeah...No thanks to 2/40

I think paying 20M for someone like Greinke is way better than 16M on Odo.

It's never a bad thing to have starting rotation depth.

Greinke is reliable, smart, and has wicked command. Easily worth a 2/40 deal
Fair. But who is paying Odo 16 M?
Teddy Perkins
AG
Has Greinke also embraced the veteran role, dishing out advice and mentorship to the young pitchers? If so, that's a big plus to me.
tjack16
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

Has Greinke also embraced the veteran role, dishing out advice and mentorship to the young pitchers? If so, that's a big plus to me.

Somebody called into the radio and made the point that nobody has seen JV in the dugout or anywhere at MMP at all the last 2 seasons. Which is odd because LMJ was there every game in 2019 when he was recovering from TJ surgery.

The caller's point was JV would be an amazing vocal leader. At least at most home games. Last year he had the new baby and I'm sure the COVID restrictions wouldn't allow him there. But this year I'm surprised he hasn't been around more at some home games.

I'm not reading too much into it and it's a non story... but it is interesting that a veteran leader like JV hasn't been spotted
htxag09
AG
tjack16 said:

Teddy Perkins said:

Somebody called into the radio and made the point that nobody has seen JV in the dugout or anywhere at MMP at all the last 2 seasons. Which is odd because LMJ was there every game in 2019 when he was recovering from TJ surgery.

The caller's point was JV would be an amazing vocal leader. At least at most home games. Last year he had the new baby and I'm sure the COVID restrictions wouldn't allow him there. But this year I'm surprised he hasn't been around more at some home games.

I'm not reading too much into it and it's a non story... but it is interesting that a veteran leader like JV hasn't been spotted

JV is in California. I've personally found it weird that he hasn't been with the team, I understand he has doctors, trainers, etc out there. But it is a little off putting, IMO, seeing him and/or his wife post vacation or photos of them at home while the stros are playing.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
If being at home and working with a private team of trainers, doctors, and experts gets him back field quicker, as in maybe the end of the season, would anyone really care?

Not saying that is going to happen but maybe that is the goal and he putting himself in the best position to get back on the field this year. If not, I don't love the idea of him not being around... but if I were married to Kate Upton, I wouldn't be hanging out with a bunch dudes if I didn't have to either
Ag_07
AG
I think it's probably as simple as Lance and his family live here. I don't think JV and Kate call Houston their full time home.
htxag09
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

If being at home and working with a private team of trainers, doctors, and experts gets him back field quicker, as in maybe the end of the season, would anyone really care?

Not saying that is going to happen but maybe that is the goal and he putting himself in the best position to get back on the field this year. If not, I don't love the idea of him not being around... but if I were married to Kate Upton, I wouldn't be hanging out with a bunch dudes if I didn't have to either

Haha agree 100% on the Kate upton point.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not mad or upset or anything. I know he's working, and probably working more efficiently, at getting back.

It's just off putting when someone posts an Instagram story of them at the beach, or even at the zoo with their family, while the astros are playing.
Ag_07
AG
Hell someone call him out on it and tag his brother in a tweet.

Guarantee Ben will take the bait and respond
spadilly
S
Off days...

spadilly
S
Mr.Ackar07
Does rehabbing the entire season in California mean that all of his entire income is sourced to California?

He could save $4 million just by rehabbing the entire time in Houston.
agdaddy04
AG
Braves / Marlins is the same thing I thought of too with those two scenarios. Even though 2 titles would be nice, Postseason baseball is so much fun to watch, I don't think I could go that many years without experiencing it watching the Astros. I also think the Braves garnered more talk and respect around the game than the Marlins ever did. Also, the waves that the Marlins went through greatly affected their fan support as well.
First Page Last Page
Page 506 of 2102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.