*****Official Houston Astros 2020-2021 Offseason Thread*****

407,394 Views | 4530 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tjack16
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MaxPower said:

Think I'd prefer to trade him rather than hope we can resign him against the market. Sick of watching guys walk while only receiving a dart throw 3rd round draft pick.
Who's playing SS this year? We're rolling the dice on Pena and/or Nova? Diaz?

I think you could argue Carlos would be the difference between winning and losing the division. You think we pass on a year of contention to get a few prospects?

Look at the haul the Indians got for Lindor & Carrasco... its fine. It's not game-changing at this point. We'd get less for Correa at this point.

The draft pick would be end of the first assuming we stay under the luxury cap.
CFTXAG10
AG
Exactly 3 weeks away
MaxPower
True. It depends on the deal. Why not Adames and a prospect from the Rays? Adames isn't Correa but has 3 more years of control and a solid SS (great hitter away from Tropicana). Rays might do it because they have Franco waiting in the wings anyway and Correa is better this year.

But yes it will come down to what you can get. I can't think of any other teams that could line up where you get some help on your club this year as well.
JJxvi
AG
Only rich clubs trade for rentals. Why in the world would the Rays trade 3 years of Adames for 1 year of Correa much less add in a prospect also?
Big Al 1992
AG
Ag_07
AG
The only way we trade Correa is if we don't extend him and we suck ass this year.

Then maybe if we're out of it someone in need overpays at the deadline.
bearkatag15
AG

MLB experimenting with getting rid of shifts
Farmer1906
AG
That is some bull *****
Buck Compton
AG
So instead of forcing people to be more complete hitters that are capable of going the other way, let's just put some completely arbitrary restrictions on the fielders.
n_touch
bearkatag15 said:

They should experiment with a Tee so that batting averages will increase while ERA will decrease causing better averages for those when negotiating contracts
MaxPower
Because they have Franco ready to take over at SS so makes more sense for them to maximize production at the position in 2021.
JJxvi
AG
MaxPower said:

Because they have Franco ready to take over at SS so makes more sense for them to maximize production at the position in 2021.
LOL. What it would "maximize" is their payroll at the position this year. The Rays arent going to pay $11 million dollars for one season of the difference between Correa and Adames
redline248
AG
bearkatag15 said:

This is bullsh-t.
JJxvi
AG
"must have"

Or else what? Is it a balk? That's the penalty specified for the catcher I think?
Mathguy64
AG
MLB. Telling computers nerds to get out of baseball since 2021.
Marvin
AG
I have a feeling it will be quite the drought between Tucker and the next homegrown hitter. Our minor league bats suck absolute donkey balls... again.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Farmer1906
AG
Leon?
bearkatag15
AG

What a dumbass
Harry Dunne
bearkatag15 said:

I don't get the outrage. Do people love what the shift does for the game?
Ag_07
AG
No it's a stupid rule

If you're ok taking away shifts then you're ok with no more double play position, infielders in, or defendingg the bunt.
Harry Dunne
Ag_07 said:

No it's a stupid rule

If you're ok taking away shifts then you're ok with no more double play position, infielders in, or defendingg the bunt.
Nope. You don't get to make if --> then statements for other things based on my indifference on the shift. Anyway if you're in the shift you're out of double play position and one thing that I don't like about the shift is how it complicates a beautiful and simple thing like the double play.

So yes, I'm OK with not having 3 infielders on one side of the bag and/or 4 outfielders. Probably because that's the way I played and watched my first 30 years of baseball and I didn't enjoy it less than with shifts. I'm OK with them and I'm OK without them. I don't think they add anything to the game.

They do take away hits in the field of play, which takes away fun and also creates more of an all or nothing approach and I can understand why they want to limit that. I just don't understd why anyone would be for the shift other than a general "you can't tell me how to play the game" attitude.
redline248
AG
Your indifference has nothing to do with a rule specifically created to stop certain defensive positions. Ag 07's point is valid. It's no different than creating a rule that says you can't have 4 infielders on the front edge of the dirt.
Harry Dunne
redline248 said:

Your indifference has nothing to do with a rule specifically created to stop certain defensive positions. Ag 07's point is valid. It's no different than creating a rule that says you can't have 4 infielders on the front edge of the dirt.
Having 4 infielders on the front edge of the dirt would be useless and suicidal. Would you be outraged if they created that rule? I'd feel the same as I do about the shift, which is "who cares"? I don't see that it adds anything to the game, and I'm find without it if the powers that be think it will "make baseball great again".

It sounds to me like you just don't want more rules. I hate to say it but if you don't like rules, then maybe baseball is the wrong game.

To me it's like football formation rules. Here's the rules, play within them. I don't have a problem with that.
redline248
AG
Harry Dunne said:

redline248 said:

Would you be outraged if they created that rule?

To me it's like football formation rules. Here's the rules, play within them. What's the big problem with that?
Yes, I would hate an arbitrary rule that prevents teams from being able to cut down on runs by the opponent. There is no reason for a rule like this, other than "we want more runs scored."

The big problem, in your example, would be like the NFL introducing a rule that eliminates motion bc WRs get into the route to easily. Or more accurately like saying you can never rush with more than 5 bc they don't RBs having to block.
Harry Dunne
Yes I agree with you and I don't think it's any secret that wanting more runs scored is exactly what they want. I think specifically they want more hits in the field of play, because that's fun...and I mean let's face it, they're right - more hits and baserunning and guys legging out XBH and great throws and close plays at the bag is fun! Even more fun IMO than watching someone hit it into the Crawford Boxes.

Grounding into the shift is not fun. And it's not like they're adding a sideshow feature to jazz up the game or trying to turn it back into chicks dig the longball roid era. They're just trying to return it to the way it has been for 99% of it's existence.

Another thing to think about: I think we're all pretty hard core baseball fans relative to average joe fan that watches casually so we enjoy the nuance and the strategy. But baseball is falling behind, and part of it is that compared to other sports there's not enough action to get average joe or younger fans excited. I don't hate baseball for wanting to return elements to the game that make it more attractive to the casual fan...and like I said, I can't think of anything so good about the shift that I'd fight to keep it.
Mathguy64
AG
It's an idiotic rule. I'm sorry if the Joey Gallo's of the baseball world (ETA I'll even include TED here who is easily our most shifted pull hitter) are too stubborn to try and be better hitters. Not using advanced stats for defense? You may as well say hitters can't use advanced stats for hitting mechanics on launch angles or pitcher tendancies or pitchers can't use advanced stats for hitters tendencies on certain pitches.

ETA they planning on telling corner infielders it's illegal to play on the line late? How about a no doubles defense in the OF late in a game?
redline248
AG
Quote:

Grounding into the shift is not fun.
Too f-cking bad. Learn to be a better hitter, or as an organization, draft better hitters. Baseball ain't going back to the time of slap a single past the 2B and steal a base every inning. Why should it go back to ignoring analytics in defensive positions?
redline248
AG
...and as to baseball falling behind, I put that more on the league's terrible marketing and obstacles to viewing. There is no reason a fan in Texas should have to use a VPN or illegal stream to watch the Astros or Rangers. Yet, that is the case for a lot of households, if not the majority of them.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Creating a rule to "make it more fun" isn't the way like you think it is. What would make it more fun is if players learned at a younger age to hit a ball the other way. Hit the ball back up the middle, balls on the ground that get things moving. Instead from a very young age kids are taught launch angle and exit velo. Those aspects and aims create a certain type of hitter and that type of hitter is trying to hit home runs and the usual way to do that is by pulling the ball. It's all a snowball effect.

No I don't like the shift but it was created as a reaction to how hitters changed. If it is in effect long enough hitters would begin to learn to take the ball the other way and the shifts would decrease naturally as less players were elevating the ball and rolling over on it.
txag614
redline248 said:

...and as to baseball falling behind, I put that more on the league's terrible marketing and obstacles to viewing. There is no reason a fan in Texas should have to use a VPN or illegal stream to watch the Astros or Rangers. Yet, that is the case for a lot of households, if not the majority of them.
redline248
AG
I just saw this part you added
Quote:

Having 4 infielders on the front edge of the dirt would be useless and suicidal.
I know you are familiar with drawing the infield with a runner on 3rd and less than 2 outs. Would you like a rule that prevents a team from doing that?
Harry Dunne
That'd be a little different than having all 4 at the front edge of the dirt, but I see your point.
Harry Dunne
I hear all of these points and some are very good and made me think about it in a different way. i agree that I wouldn't want rules limiting the many defensive strategies mentioned.

That said, I still don't have a problem with setting boundaries on the shift. I don't think its the first step towards eliminating analytics or defensive strategy or anything that grand or sinister and am still not sure why all the panties are wadded around here.
Farmer1906
AG
I want the highest level of baseball. I want players and managers to put their players in positions to prevent runs on defense and score as many runs on offense. If the stats says a player can't hit a ball in the certain part of the field then why should the defense be forced to put someone there. It would be like the NFL saying defenses couldn't bring extra defenders to the line on 4th and goal from the half hardline.
Ag_07
AG
My whole deal is where do you draw the line?

If you're going to outlaw shifts shouldn't you also outlaw outfielders lining up to close a gap or eliminate no doubles alignment? How about just a coach waving over a guy to play left CF instead of straight up? I don't see a difference between either of those and an infield shift.

The lines are blurred and for me it just doesn't make any sense to make shifts against the rules but allow for other defensive alignments.
First Page Last Page
Page 105 of 130

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.