*****Official Houston Astros 2020-2021 Offseason Thread*****

406,340 Views | 4530 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tjack16
spadilly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Hello, beautiful. One day closer...

07ag
AG
https://ts.la/eric59704
Frok
AG
I'm indifferent to the shift, don't really care one way or another. I understand why they would be interested in eliminating it.
SW-14
AG
redline248 said:

...and as to baseball falling behind, I put that more on the league's terrible marketing and obstacles to viewing. There is no reason a fan in Texas should have to use a VPN or illegal stream to watch the Astros or Rangers. Yet, that is the case for a lot of households, if not the majority of them.
Uhh....yeah....who would do such a thing......
superaggie73
AG
I'm against limiting the shift from rules, but what would Tucker's BA look like if they do outlaw the shift. Of course, the Dodgers will also score 10 runs per game.
JJxvi
AG
Ag_07 said:

My whole deal is where do you draw the line?

If you're going to outlaw shifts shouldn't you also outlaw outfielders lining up to close a gap or eliminate no doubles alignment? How about just a coach waving over a guy to play left CF instead of straight up? I don't see a difference between either of those and an infield shift.

The lines are blurred and for me it just doesn't make any sense to make shifts against the rules but allow for other defensive alignments.
Apparently you have to draw the lines where there are literal lines on the field. This rule for example does not "take it back to the way things was" it actually appears to ban the second baseman and shortstop from playing deep (ie beyond the 95 foot radius infield dirt or outfield stripe) which has always been relatively common, especially at second base.
JJxvi
AG
IMO, there is also the little problem with the fact that the shortstop is not an infielder, but an outfielder that was shifted to the infield (ie short), so really this is just typical old people deciding that "the game was better" at whatever arbitrary point and absolutely is not some BS "white knights saving the popularity of baseball"
superaggie73
AG
Does the reverse apply as well? Like the rare occasion when you bring in an OF in the 9th and the bases loaded to have 5 infielders? Will that be outlawed as well? If they try to outlaw shifts it just opens up Pandora's box.
07ag
AG
redline248 said:

...and as to baseball falling behind, I put that more on the league's terrible marketing and obstacles to viewing. There is no reason a fan in Texas should have to use a VPN or illegal stream to watch the Astros or Rangers. Yet, that is the case for a lot of households, if not the majority of them.
things are the way they are to protect the cable/satellite providers. they want you to sign up for cable or satellite to get the games
https://ts.la/eric59704
JJxvi
AG
superaggie73 said:

Does the reverse apply as well? Like the rare occasion when you bring in an OF in the 9th and the bases loaded to have 5 infielders? Will that be outlawed as well? If they try to outlaw shifts it just opens up Pandora's box.
I dont see how you could possibly justify allowing that if you arent allowing infielders to play outfield. However, at first it would probably not technically be banned by the rules and it will start the faux outrage whining up to ten (especially if, god forbid, it involves a game with like the red sox or yankees, etc) and soon there will be all kind of "positioning" schemes that have to be banned.
Deluxe
AG
Never too early for a pitcher update!

Cishek - After getting hit hard in his first outing, he's looked very good in his last two with 6 K / 1 BB over 2.2 innings and allowed only 1 H / 0 ER

Pete Solomon - Had his first spring outing last night and I think it was his first outing since coming back from TJ surgery. Struck out 3 and walked none in 2 innings. Gave up one hit, no runs.

Tyler Ivey - New delivery seems to be working. Given up 1 H and 0 ER over 4 innings. Struck out 6, walked 3.

Raley, Pressley, Javier, J Smith, Paredes. B Taylor and Scrubb have yet to give up a run.
iamtheglove
07ag said:

redline248 said:

things are the way they are to protect the cable/satellite providers. they want you to sign up for cable or satellite to get the games
Things are they way they are to protect baseball's significant rights fees paid by regional and national networks. Broadcast territories do that. MLB sets these rules, not the regional networks or cable/satellite companies. Using a VPN to get around paying for an RSN is stealing.
Bobby Jimbo
AG
07ag said:

Of course Greinke would go out of his way to attend something as monotonous as an arbitration hearing.
tjack16
AG
The shift is annoying but I dont think it's killing the game or needs to be corrected
Cynic
JJxvi said:

superaggie73 said:

I dont see how you could possibly justify allowing that if you arent allowing infielders to play outfield. However, at first it would probably not technically be banned by the rules and it will start the faux outrage whining up to ten (especially if, god forbid, it involves a game with like the red sox or yankees, etc) and soon there will be all kind of "positioning" schemes that have to be banned.

Hence the reason they are testing it first in the minor leagues.
bearkatag15
AG
If y'all have a sub to The Athletic, check out this story about Greinke. They asked 15 catchers that caught him throughout his career about funny stories about him.

https://theathletic.com/2414947/2021/03/12/zack-greinke-catchers-oral-history/
JJxvi
AG
LMAO at

Quote:

He signed the picture: "To Brayan Pena, one of my best friends and a great catcher. Please do not sell this on eBay."

n_touch
Anyway around the paywall?
scrimp
AG
Another good ZG story from the Athletic article...

Quote:

Buck: I had been catching him for a while. This was right at the end. And it happened to be the year he was having his Cy Young year (2009). In the middle of that, he said, "John, I know I'm throwing good, but I'm starting to second-guess myself. I don't want you to catch me anymore." I was just kind of like, "What?" I was young, too. My ego was hurt. And then he goes, "I just think you're too smart. You just make me out-think what I'm calling. You have too many good reasons, and sometimes I just want to throw it. And with Miguel Olivo, I just don't get that." We're both sitting there, and Olivo is like, "OK, so I'm dumb?" And Zack goes, "Yeah, but I like throwing to you." Olivo and I were like, "How do we both want to punch him, but we both get it and appreciate his honesty?"
Farmer1906
AG

Bregman getting a lot of respect.
bearkatag15
AG
n_touch said:

Deluxe
AG
I'd love to be the bookie collecting EASY money from idiots betting Torres will win MVP
Mathguy64
AG
Or really anyone but Trout. Betting against him is basically betting he gets injured to such an extent that he misses half a season. Because when he missed 1/5 of it he still wins.
Farmer1906
AG
Looks like we're the underdog here.

The more I think about it, the more I think the As going to give us a dogfight this year. We're going to need 95+.
Harry Dunne
SIAP but it looks like the A's picked up Jed Lowrie again. I'm disappointed that we didn't sign him first and flip him to the A's for prospects, as has been the tradition.
Farmer1906
AG
Jeff and his obsession with Jed is gone.
redline248
AG
This article is so damn good
Harry Dunne
Interview with Reddick about his free agency. His part starts at about 23:30.

Dude really wants a job. He even throws $2M out there as a number he'd play for.

https://www.wsn.com/podcast/wise-kracks-ep-34/
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Looks like we're the underdog here.

The more I think about it, the more I think the As going to give us a dogfight this year. We're going to need 95+.
Funny...the team that hasn't won a postseason game in 17 years is ranked 2nd in chances to win the AL. Who comes up with this stuff?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Interview with Reddick about his free agency. His part starts at about 23:30.

Dude really wants a job. He even throws $2M out there as a number he'd play for.

https://www.wsn.com/podcast/wise-kracks-ep-34/
I wouldn't balk at signing him for some outfield depth for $2M if we had room under the luxury tax threshold.
redline248
AG
n_touch said:

Before I subscribed I could read 3 per month for free, but no idea if that's still in place.
astros4545
AG
bearkatag15
AG

Canseco hates ARod so much
Ag_07
AG
You're in a bad spot in life if Canseco is taking shots at you.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Interesting thought... Maybe trade him for some salary relief and outfield prospects?
First Page Last Page
Page 106 of 130

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.