*****Official Houston Astros 2020-2021 Offseason Thread*****

405,328 Views | 4530 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tjack16
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Interesting thought... Maybe trade him for some salary relief and outfield prospects?

I love that idea. Gives Pena a spot as a utility infielder
Ag_07
AG
Good idea but not realistic.

No one wants his jello hammies.

Every team has guys who can do what he does (play 5 games a year) for the league minimum.
bearkatag15
AG

Filth from Scrubb
mwm
Deep down, he's just another yankee cheater.
bearkatag15
AG

Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15 said:

He's very unlikely to make the team with the cap situation. So it's not a giant loss.
Harry Dunne
Farmer1906 said:

bearkatag15 said:

He's very unlikely to make the team with the cap situation. So it's not a giant loss.

Who is our fourth outfielder? Ask Siri?
MaxPower
Presumably McCormick
Farmer1906
AG
That is what I am thinking. Not ideal. Diaz can play out there.
Harry Dunne
If our 4th guy is a corner OF who is hitting .083 in spring training and has been a pedestrian minor leaguer (.760 career MiLB OPS) it's time to give Reddick $2M. Surely we have enough $ room for that and we can't have Straw, McCormick and Castro/Machete hitting 7-8-9 a couple of times per week...which is what we are looking at as soon as Diaz' hammy gets tweaked again...assuming that hasn't already happened.
Farmer1906
AG
Harry Dunne said:

If our 4th guy is a corner OF who is hitting .083 in spring training and has been a pedestrian minor leaguer (.760 career MiLB OPS) it's time to give Reddick $2M. Surely we have enough $ room for that and we can't have Straw, McCormick and Castro/Machete hitting 7-8-9 a couple of times per week...which is what we are looking at as soon as Diaz' hammy gets tweaked again...assuming that hasn't already happened.

If we have 2M is spend then it can just be Souza. That's the problem. Odorizzi, even with clever incentives, means we have very little space. I'm trying to find a accurate #. But we can't let a #4/5 outfielder be the reason we go over.
MaxPower
Plus Reddick can't play CF. Your 4th OF needs to at least be an emergency option there in case Straw falls on his face.
Harry Dunne
If McCormick or Souza are playing centerfield for more than an inning then we're in trouble.

I would think Tucker to CF before either of those guys. Then calling up someone that can actually play there regularly.

Siri is the guy that is an actual CF and has hit it pretty good in spring training. He would be my guess as the next man up.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
AT&T is broadcasting the game tomorrow and Monday (both 1:05pm eastern)
Farmer1906
AG
I wouldn't overthink spring. He's been an avg hitter at best in the minors for years. But he may get the shot due to lack of bodies. I'd prefer Leon even with the lack of experience. Throw him into the fire because we need him.
k20dub
AG
BCSGrubber
AG

Yordan Alert!
Marvin
AG
Glad to see Yordan in the lineup.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Farmer1906
AG
Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15
AG
Farmer1906
AG
Great to hear. Love Tuve there. We can put this Straw lead off business to bed unless it's a rest day for several people.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Great to hear. Love Tuve there. We can put this Straw lead off business to bed unless it's a rest day for several people.

This is where I'm at. Personally I do want to see some Straw experimenting just from the stance that if he potentially becomes our longer terms CF it is good for him to get some experience leading off. Maybe he will catch on to something and it will work out (wishful thinking)

I don't like the idea of him doing it everyday but it needs to be attempted often to see if he can hack it. I really wish he could be a Willy Tavares type hitter, that was fun
astros4545
AG
Straw has a 1.000 OPS

He should be batting in the 3/4 hole
Harry Dunne
Straw's career spring training OPS is over 1.000. He's white Rickey Henderson when the games don't count...but I'll be happy if he can top .700 this season.
Harry Dunne
Farmer1906 said:

I wouldn't overthink spring. He's been an avg hitter at best in the minors for years. But he may get the shot due to lack of bodies. I'd prefer Leon even with the lack of experience. Throw him into the fire because we need him.
I'm not overthinking spring, but if we're going to throw some AAAA guy out there I'd rather it be the guy who is seeing the ball well rather than the guy who is 1-18 or whatever. Sounds like Souza is going to be fine, so hopefully crisis averted, assuming Souza is going to remember how to hit MLB pitching eventually.

I think they'll probably start Leon off in Corpus. Again, I'm not putting much into 8 spring training ABs, but it would be a rash move to throw him into the fire without letting him get a little confidence first. If he crushes AA pitching I wouldn't mind him skipping AAA like Altuve did, but assuming Straw can hold the fort down and we can still win ballgames, I'd rather suffer through some replacement level CF while letting Leon get some swagger.
bearkatag15
AG
Correa just took Brad Hand deep

cap-n-jack
Lance talking about the culture in the clubhouse. Pretty good stuff.
Bregxit
AG
Cishek was filthy that inning.
bearkatag15
AG
agdaddy04
AG
Nice to see them smack around the Nationals.
MaxPower
I don't know how monster it was. Cameraman was in....preseason form.
tjack16
AG
Seems like every camera crew is in preseason mode this year for spring training
EastCoastAgNc
AG
MaxPower said:

I don't know how monster it was. Cameraman was in....preseason form.
Looked to me like they have the cameras in a booth somewhere. Lots of fly ball shots caught the edge of a window.
knoxtom
bearkatag15 said:

Filth from Scrubb

Not sure I would refer to a belt high 82 mph hanging slider right down the middle as "filth." Most MLB guys send that pitch 400 something feet.
First Page Last Page
Page 107 of 130

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.